HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Vladislav Tretiak....

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-18-2005, 12:15 AM
  #1
monkey_00*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country:
Posts: 5,022
vCash: 500
Vladislav Tretiak....

Vladislav Tretiak


Never played a game in the NHL yet many believe him to be one of the greatest hockey goalies of alltime.......How do you think he would have done if he played fulltime in the NHL?......Where do you think he ranks among alltime Goalies?...Was he as good as guys like Dominic Hasek and Patrick Roy?

monkey_00* is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 01:11 AM
  #2
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
Vladislav Tretiak


Never played a game in the NHL yet many believe him to be one of the greatest hockey goalies of alltime.......How do you think he would have done if he played fulltime in the NHL?......Where do you think he ranks among alltime Goalies?...Was he as good as guys like Dominic Hasek and Patrick Roy?
I think he would have been alright and possibly one of the best. He had extremely strong fundamentals, good lateral movement and quickness. He has his critics for sure, like Bobby Clarke, who called him overrated, but I really do think he would have lived up to the hype.

It's too bad the Red Army and Tikhonov wouldn't let him leave USSR, because Serge Savard, the Habs GM at the time, had him all ready to come over. I think Tretiak retired later that year, out of spite for the Red Army.

Tricolore#20 is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 02:57 AM
  #3
futurcorerock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 6,819
vCash: 500
THN had a feature on this burning question in one of their post-lockout issues. The panel of judges declared that Tretiak's style of play, specifically how far he ventured out of the crease would make his effectiveness to drop.

futurcorerock is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 10:26 AM
  #4
Snap Wilson
Registered User
 
Snap Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock
THN had a feature on this burning question in one of their post-lockout issues. The panel of judges declared that Tretiak's style of play, specifically how far he ventured out of the crease would make his effectiveness to drop.
Yeah, right.

Let's see, held his own against NHL All-Stars as a 20 year old in '72, Held the '75 Canadiens to three goals despite being outshot 38-15, MVP of the '81 Canada Cup... geez, he would have been *terrible* in the NHL.

Snap Wilson is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 10:35 AM
  #5
VanIslander
Don't waste my time
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 21,218
vCash: 500
There's a thread around here which discusses how average he was at times and how chocked in some big games, and has played surprisingly average behind incredible skaters at times.

Can anybody recall that thread?

VanIslander is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 10:38 AM
  #6
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,395
vCash: 500
We had another thread about this, but IMO Tretiak is the most overrated player in all of hockey.

I'm of the opinion that if Tretiak played in the NHL from say 1972-84, he'd have been a nice goalie, but not among the games very best.

During that time period I'd certainly have Dryden, Parent, Esposito and Smith ahead of him.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 10:41 AM
  #7
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander
There's a thread around here which discusses how average he was at times and how chocked in some big games, and has played surprisingly average behind incredible skaters at times.

Can anybody recall that thread?
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...hlight=Tretiak

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 12:48 PM
  #8
monkey_00*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country:
Posts: 5,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
John Flyers Fan........

Thanks for the link.......It was interesting to read what Benton Fraser had to say regarding TRETIAK.

monkey_00* is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 12:54 PM
  #9
Frightened Inmate #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
John Flyers Fan........

Thanks for the link.......It was interesting to read what Benton Fraser had to say regarding TRETIAK.

I think he was a very good goaltender.... but why the hell did you capitalize TRETIAK.....

Frightened Inmate #2 is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 03:27 PM
  #10
monkey_00*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country:
Posts: 5,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton Fraser
I think he was a very good goaltender.... but why the hell did you capitalize TRETIAK.....
............because I just finished selecting him in our alltime draft that's why........it will be interesting for everyone to see how you rank the Goalies at the end of draft #3 especially when you consider that I also have Dominic Hasek on my team.

monkey_00* is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 03:34 PM
  #11
acr*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: My Pit of Danger
Country:
Posts: 47,526
vCash: 500
If he went to the NHL, the league's history would be so different over the past 20 years.

What was it, '84 or '85 when he almost went to Montreal?

If that deal went through, would the Habs have traded that young prospect in Roy they had in the system?

acr* is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 03:59 PM
  #12
Frightened Inmate #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
............because I just finished selecting him in our alltime draft that's why........it will be interesting for everyone to see how you rank the Goalies at the end of draft #3 especially when you consider that I also have Dominic Hasek on my team.
At this point probably at the top or near the top.

Frightened Inmate #2 is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 05:01 PM
  #13
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by acr
If he went to the NHL, the league's history would be so different over the past 20 years.

What was it, '84 or '85 when he almost went to Montreal?

If that deal went through, would the Habs have traded that young prospect in Roy they had in the system?
Tretiak retired in 1984 ... he was a Dryden contemporary, not Roy.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 05:43 PM
  #14
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Tretiak retired in 1984 ... he was a Dryden contemporary, not Roy.
I don't think Dryden was the young prospect he was thinking of.

Hmm, let me see...maybe it was ROY.

Crosbyfan is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 06:16 PM
  #15
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan
I don't think Dryden was the young prospect he was thinking of.

Hmm, let me see...maybe it was ROY.
Why would Tretiak have changes what the Habs thought about Roy in any way ???

Tretiak's last season was 1983-84

Patrick Roy was drafted in 1984.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 06:24 PM
  #16
futurcorerock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 6,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp
Yeah, right.

Let's see, held his own against NHL All-Stars as a 20 year old in '72, Held the '75 Canadiens to three goals despite being outshot 38-15, MVP of the '81 Canada Cup... geez, he would have been *terrible* in the NHL.
hey i'm just the messenger, talk to THN if you have any objection.

futurcorerock is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 06:39 PM
  #17
wilka91*
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4,251
vCash: 500
Yeah but had Tretiak played in the NHL, his stats would have been pretty much meaningless. I mean he played in the 1970's and early 1980's, and as you all know the NHL was a Canadian-American league with a few Swedes.

wilka91* is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 06:48 PM
  #18
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK
 
Tricolore#20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Why would Tretiak have changes what the Habs thought about Roy in any way ???

Tretiak's last season was 1983-84

Patrick Roy was drafted in 1984.
Tretiak retired in 1984 because that year was the year the Soviets denied him from leaving the country. He probably still had 4-5 years left in him, as he was only 32 at the time he retired.

I read an article some years ago that did suggest that if Tretiak went to the Habs, the plans for Roy could have been different. Serge Savard tried very hard to get him considering the Habs had poor goaltending at the time (Soetart and Penny were there I believe)

Here is an interesting article about Tretiak from the Toronto Star I found:


Last edited by Tricolore#20: 03-18-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Tricolore#20 is offline  
Old
03-18-2005, 10:54 PM
  #19
David Puddy
Registered User
 
David Puddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Why would Tretiak have changes what the Habs thought about Roy in any way ???

Tretiak's last season was 1983-84

Patrick Roy was drafted in 1984.
Tretiak turned 32 years old in 1984. It was often a practice of the Soviet Union to force players to retire in their early 30's.

I kind of agree with you about Roy, but it is possible that a great performance by Tretiak would have caused Savard to draft someone else with their fourth pick, 3rd Round 51st overall.

David Puddy is offline  
Old
03-19-2005, 04:08 AM
  #20
monkey_00*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country:
Posts: 5,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
Tretiak turned 32 years old in 1984. It was often a practice of the Soviet Union to force players to retire in their early 30's.

I kind of agree with you about Roy, but it is possible that a great performance by Tretiak would have caused Savard to draft someone else with their fourth pick, 3rd Round 51st overall.
That would be a great "What If" Scenario.......What if Tretiak played for the Habs?...what would have happened to Patrick Roy's NHL career?

monkey_00* is offline  
Old
03-19-2005, 04:58 AM
  #21
futurcorerock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 6,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
That would be a great "What If" Scenario.......What if Tretiak played for the Habs?...what would have happened to Patrick Roy's NHL career?
Headline:

Vancouver wins the cup.

Not to say Van. would pull the trigger and pick Roy with the pick following the habs', but who knows?

Funnier:

St Louis wins the cup.

Vancouver and St Louis alternate a few picks after the Habs' pick, then they will pick again before he'd fall to Vancouver again, then Quebec.

To go further, had Roy not been a Hab, maybe the Kings would finally have a cup? Maybe it's fair to say that the world would be better without the Montreal Canadiens?

I kid, I kid

futurcorerock is offline  
Old
03-19-2005, 09:32 AM
  #22
RorschachWJK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Kuusamo
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,633
vCash: 500
He is the best goalie I have ever seen. Would definitely have been in the Hasek/Roy range in the NHL.

RorschachWJK is offline  
Old
03-19-2005, 02:50 PM
  #23
David Puddy
Registered User
 
David Puddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock
Vancouver and St Louis alternate a few picks after the Habs' pick, then they will pick again before he'd fall to Vancouver again, then Quebec.

To go further, had Roy not been a Hab, maybe the Kings would finally have a cup? Maybe it's fair to say that the world would be better without the Montreal Canadiens?
The Blues did select a goaltender (Alan Perry) with the 56th overall pick, five places after Patrick Roy was selected. I don't know where Roy was on the scounting charts at the time though.

You mention the Kings. They selected a guy with their next pick after Roy was selected who has won a lot of games in his career, almost 300 in fact. The only problem is that Tom Glavine's wins have all been with the Atlanta Braves and New York Mets as a pitcher.

David Puddy is offline  
Old
03-19-2005, 11:03 PM
  #24
Snap Wilson
Registered User
 
Snap Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurcorerock
hey i'm just the messenger, talk to THN if you have any objection.
I caught that. My response wasn't directed towards you.

Snap Wilson is offline  
Old
03-20-2005, 09:56 AM
  #25
trentmccleary
Registered User
 
trentmccleary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Alfie-Ville
Posts: 19,247
vCash: 500
Ah... but how would Vladimir Myshkin have done in the NHL?

trentmccleary is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.