HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Chi-Col

Old
02-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Seabrook = Thief

vCash: 302
Chi-Col

With Stastny again struggling I was thinking the Avs might want to move him and clear out that expensive contract for next year

What are thoughts on this deal?

To Hawks
C Paul Stastny (Avs retain 25% of his cap)

To Avs
LW Jeremy Morin or C Brandon Pirri
D Dylan Olsen

Avs clear alot of $$$ out and get 2 young players with NHL experience who can step into lineup going forward

Hawks get #2 C for playoff run and next year (25% retaining of cap hit helps Hawks afford him next year)

Stastny played well under Q and playing on Hawks 2nd line with either Sharp/Kane or Sharp/Hossa as his wingers would be a nice boost for him

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:32 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
With Stastny again struggling I was thinking the Avs might want to move him and clear out that expensive contract for next year

What are thoughts on this deal?

To Hawks
C Paul Stastny (Avs retain 25% of his cap)

To Avs
LW Jeremy Morin or C Brandon Pirri
D Dylan Olsen

Avs clear alot of $$$ out and get 2 young players with NHL experience who can step into lineup going forward

Hawks get #2 C for playoff run and next year (25% retaining of cap hit helps Hawks afford him next year)
Big hell no.
Stastny looks bad right now. But with ROR on the outs we can't afford to give him up for bad value while retaining a big chunk of his salary....

If we retain a quarter of his salary, his value rises immensely....

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:34 PM
bohlmeister
#Sadalanche

Stastny would be great in Chicago. That would be an ideal situation for him. As it would most players. haha.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:39 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Sorry, but no way i'd do this. Especially since we retain 25% of the hit.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Avs44

Wait. We lose O'Reilly, retain 25% of Stastny's cap, have no 2nd line center now, and all we get in return for Stastny is two mediocre prospects??? I'm sorry, but what the **** were you thinking when you made this proposal. Did you even think about the Avs at all???

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:51 PM
PAZ

Stastny still has decent value. Roy was able to get Ott + Pardy, that's a hell of a lot more than what you're offering.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:53 PM
Hawkaholic

Terrible proposal. Not surprised Avs fans hate it.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:08 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Wait. We lose O'Reilly, retain 25% of Stastny's cap, have no 2nd line center now, and all we get in return for Stastny is two mediocre prospects??? I'm sorry, but what the **** were you thinking when you made this proposal. Did you even think about the Avs at all???
Did you even look at either of the prospects offered? Brandon Pirri and Jeremy Morin are far from mediocre, especially Pirri. I'm tough on him, but I have little doubt he could step into Colorado's 2nd line centre spot and produce right away. He was recently ranked 45th at HockeyProspectus in their top-50 prospect rankings and all he's done is produce where ever he's been.

Freshman at RPI (only season their) - GP 39, G 11, A 32, Pts 43
AHL (19-21 years old) - GP 184, G 48, A 85, Pts 133

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Pretty bad for the Avs.

Didn't seem like there situation was taken into consideration, and them eating up part of the cap hit makes the value bad.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:17 PM
TorstenFrings
lebenslang grünweiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Did you even look at either of the prospects offered? Brandon Pirri and Jeremy Morin are far from mediocre, especially Pirri. I'm tough on him, but I have little doubt he could step into Colorado's 2nd line centre spot and produce right away. He was recently ranked 45th at HockeyProspectus in their top-50 prospect rankings and all he's done is produce where ever he's been.

Freshman at RPI (only season their) - GP 39, G 11, A 32, Pts 43
AHL (19-21 years old) - GP 184, G 48, A 85, Pts 133
TBF it is either Morin OR Pirri in the proposal not both and Olsen to balance it out is far less than mediocre. So basically, as NHL hope goes, it is Pirri for Statsny. Eh, whatever you think of Pirri, they can probably do better at the deadline. Which coincidentally might be after the sorted out the ROR mess.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:21 PM
dahrougem2

Not sure why the Avs have to clear out that expensive contract given the fact that they are 4th lowest in the league in payroll....

dahrougem2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:08 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
TBF it is either Morin OR Pirri in the proposal not both and Olsen to balance it out is far less than mediocre. So basically, as NHL hope goes, it is Pirri for Statsny. Eh, whatever you think of Pirri, they can probably do better at the deadline. Which coincidentally might be after the sorted out the ROR mess.
Yeah, I know what the proposal is. I don't see how the Avalanche could expect much better. I get that they'd be eating 25% of his contract, which would bring the caphit down from 6.6M to 4.95M. That's still 5M per for a guy that's had 57 and 53-point seasons over the past couple years and only 6 points in 10 games this year.

One would think, and perhaps I'm wrong about this, but if COL were to hold out with O'Reilly until the deadline and make this kind of trade, could they not then afford to pay O'Reilly what he wants - or at least much closer to it?

Maybe Chicago needs to add a bit more, but I really don't get how they'd need to add a significant piece to Pirri + Olsen.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:43 PM
TorstenFrings
lebenslang grünweiss

Quote:
Yeah, I know what the proposal is. I don't see how the Avalanche could expect much better. I get that they'd be eating 25% of his contract, which would bring the caphit down from 6.6M to 4.95M. That's still 5M per for a guy that's had 57 and 53-point seasons over the past couple years and only 6 points in 10 games this year.

One would think, and perhaps I'm wrong about this, but if COL were to hold out with O'Reilly until the deadline and make this kind of trade, could they not then afford to pay O'Reilly what he wants - or at least much closer to it?

Maybe Chicago needs to add a bit more, but I really don't get how they'd need to add a significant piece to Pirri + Olsen.
IF the Avs brass is completely high on Pirri sure, but common sense suggest that you want a team to trade a useful player for a much lesser center (Pirri), so you have to add something enticing. It`s not like the Avs are up against the cap and desperately trying to make room for ROR somehow. That seems more like a matter of principle/sustainable planning than simpla not being able to give him 5 at 5 per.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Awful, absolutely awful.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:46 PM
S3rkie

This trade isnt very good :

The only pieces I could see avs being interested are Leddy and Stalberg maybe. Aside from the obvious untouchables.

Last edited by S3rkie: 02-13-2013 at 09:02 PM.
S3rkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:49 PM
glenbuis

Quote:

Given Pirri's size I really can't see him playing at the Nhl level. If you expect Colorado to eat a Quarter of Stastny's salary you should at least offer something of valu like a first and McNeil or something. Nobody's gonna want Pirri.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:56 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
IF the Avs brass is completely high on Pirri sure, but common sense suggest that you want a team to trade a useful player for a much lesser center (Pirri), so you have to add something enticing. It`s not like the Avs are up against the cap and desperately trying to make room for ROR somehow. That seems more like a matter of principle/sustainable planning than simpla not being able to give him 5 at 5 per.
Brian Campbell was a useful player too. Actually, he was better than useful. Fact is, he was overpaid, badly. Fact is, Stastny is overpaid, badly.

I'm not looking at this as a "useful player for a much lesser centre (player)", I'm looking at this as an overpaid centre (player) for a quality prospect and decent Dman with some upside - both of whom could step into the NHL tomorrow, especially on the Avalanche.

It's not as if Stastny's lighting the world on fire or that Colorado's competing (no offense). They're a rebuilding team that would be shedding salary, gaining a quality prospect and a decent, young Dman.

Would it be better if Chicago took out Olsen and added a 1st? I mean, it'd be a late 1st, but I don't really know what COL fans expect.

If you simply don't want to move Stastny than that's fine, I get that.. but purely based on value, what would you expect for Stastny?

Old
02-13-2013, 08:58 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
Given Pirri's size I really can't see him playing at the Nhl level. If you expect Colorado to eat a Quarter of Stastny's salary you should at least offer something of valu like a first and McNeil or something. Nobody's gonna want Pirri.
6'00" and 180lbs is now undersized?

Old
02-13-2013, 09:04 PM
MurrayBannerman
Incog-Theo

vCash: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3rkie View Post
This trade isnt very good :

The only pieces I could see avs being interested are Leddy and Stalberg maybe. Aside from the obvious untouchables.
That can be done.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:05 PM
TorstenFrings
lebenslang grünweiss

Quote:
Brian Campbell was a useful player too. Actually, he was better than useful. Fact is, he was overpaid, badly. Fact is, Stastny is overpaid, badly.

I'm not looking at this as a "useful player for a much lesser centre (player)", I'm looking at this as an overpaid centre (player) for a quality prospect and decent Dman with some upside - both of whom could step into the NHL tomorrow, especially on the Avalanche.

It's not as if Stastny's lighting the world on fire or that Colorado's competing (no offense). They're a rebuilding team that would be shedding salary, gaining a quality prospect and a decent, young Dman.

Would it be better if Chicago took out Olsen and added a 1st? I mean, it'd be a late 1st, but I don't really know what COL fans expect.

If you simply don't want to move Stastny than that's fine, I get that.. but purely based on value, what would you expect for Stastny?
The Avs both need and can afford Stastny under the cap though. One of those things was not true with the Campbell situation.

And yes, I think a 1st and Pirri would be a much much better offer. Not an Avs fan, but for me that changes A LOT. Would never have thought you`d consider Olsen and a 1st interchangeable in value. It is a pretty big gap from where I am standing.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Ellipson

Quote:

It really doesn't make sense to move him unless the Avs get an offer that's out of his value range like a (potential) top pairing D. It's not like the Avs are flirting with the cap; if anything, he's a useful wedge against the floor in his current state. Plus with the O'Reilly situation, they kind of need to keep him as a serviceable 2nd line center, especially with Mitchell out too.

The problem with Stastny's value is that it's very dependent on the team; to a team near the cap, it's virtually nothing since he'd be a cap hindrance. To the Avs, he's 2nd line center who's shown that he could be a 1st line center with the right wingers. If the Avs were fielding trade offers, they would (rightly, I think) expect that kind of value because they have no impetus to move him.

These two wildly different valuations are why Stastny threads are so... entertaining.

Ellipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:18 PM
rockinghockey

Stastney is one of those players that had a few decent years when he was younger, cashed in and has been on the decline since. Could RoR be like that.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:23 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
The Avs both need and can afford Stastny under the cap though. One of those things was not true with the Campbell situation.

And yes, I think a 1st and Pirri would be a much much better offer. Not an Avs fan, but for me that changes A LOT. Would never have thought you`d consider Olsen and a 1st interchangeable in value. It is a pretty big gap from where I am standing.
Chicago could have used Campbell and could afford him, they just chose to move him in order to free up cap space going forward.

At this point, CHI's 1st is going to be late. CHI has a very deep prospect pool, with not many NHL spots to fill. It's completely interchangable IMO.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:25 PM
glenbuis

Quote:
6'00" and 180lbs is now undersized?
Sorry but i just don't think he's good enough for a second line or big enough for third/fourth line checking duties. Just my opinion though. No disrespect intended.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:28 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
Sorry but i just don't think he's good enough for a second line or big enough for third/fourth line checking duties. Just my opinion though. No disrespect intended.
That's fine, I have some of the same concerns (as I said, I've been hard on Pirri). And the problem with Chicago is that they're not really in a position to give him a real chance in the NHL.

I wouldn't say Pirri's a boom/bust prospect, but he would definitely be better suited in a top-6 role than a third or checking line role. But, if given the chance to show what he can do as a top-6 forward, I'm pretty sure he could produce. He won't be a star, but a 45-55Pt forward in the NHL? Very possible IMO.