I will try to do a monthly Mock Draft from now until the draft. The order I used is the current NHL standings.
1. - Nathan MacKinnon; Centre: A future lineup with MacKinnon, Forsberg and Kuznetsov up front will be deadly in a few years. Jones would have been a good pick too but with Carlson, Alzner and Orlov in the back end, they can affford to take Mac.
2. - Seth Jones; Defense: Easy pick for the Jackets. Murray and Jones will be an incredible 1st pairing in a few years.
3. (LAK) - Alexander Barkov; Centre: 2 top 3 picks for Columbus. A franchise D-man and now a franchise centre. Barkov is a perfect centre to build around. Great in every aspect of the game.
4. - Jonathan Drouin; Left Wing: The Avs already have Duchene, Stastny and O'Reilly down the middle. Drouin is a perfect winger to play on the 1st line down the road.
5. - Elias Lindholm; Centre: It comes down to Lindholm vs Monahan for Calgary. Lindholm is more dynamic, grittier and better in the offensive zone.
6. - Sean Monahan; Centre: Monahan at #6 is a great pick. Solid 2-way forward that has been compared to Toews. Will be a great compliment to Huberdeau.
7. - Valeri Nichushkin; Left Wing: The first 6 picks were easy. Now it gets tougher. Nichushkin has top 5 talent for sure but his contact in Russia is scary. But just imagine Tavares and Nichushkin together...
8. (NYR) - Hunter Shinkaruk; Centre: OK. 3 top 10 pick for the Jackets. A franchise D-man, franchise centre and now they get the next best offensive threat. Shinkaruk is their man.
9. - Rasmus Ristolainen; Defense: After taking 2 centres in the 1st round last year, the Sabres turn to the arguably 2nd best D-man in the draft class.
10. - Nikita Zadorov; Defense: Classic Flyers D-man. Zadorov is a huge defenseman that will be a physical presence for the future.
11. Edmonton Oilers - Ryan Pulock; Defense
12. Minnesota Wild - Adam Erne; Right Wing
13. Winnipeg Jets - Josh Morrisey; Defense
14. Carolina Hurricanes - Darnell Nurse; Defense
15. Phoenix Cayotes - Anthony Mantha; Left Wing
16. Tampa Bay Lightning - Max Domi; Centre
17. Dallas Stars - Robert Hagg; Defense
18. Saint-Louis Blues - Valentin Zykov; Right Wing
19. Montreal Canadiens - Frederik Gauthier; Centre
20. Ottawa Senators - Alexander Wennberg; Centre
21. Toronto Maple Leafs - Curtis Lazar; Centre
22. Nashville Predators - Kerby Rychel; Left Wing
23. Detroit Red Wings - Mirco Muller; Defense
24. Boston Bruins - Artturi Lekhonen; Right Wing
25. Pittsburgh Penguins - Anthony Duclair; Left Wing
26. Vancouver Canucks - Jason Dickinson; Left Wing
27. San Jose Sharks - Bo Horvat; Centre
28. Anaheim Ducks - Laurent Dauphin; Centre
29. New Jersey Devils - Zach Fucale; Goaltender
30. Chicago Blackhawks - Morgan Klimchuk; Centre
I would **** buckets if I was a Blue Jackets fan and my team got this haul. Barkov, Shinkaruk, Jones? That's like 3 top 5 picks in one round.
Also can the Ducks pick Hartman, Carrier, or Compher instead?
The last 5 or so picks were tough to make. Hartman would be a good pick at that spot. Compher is a wildcard and i definetely wouldnt take Carrier over Dauphin. I follow the Q and Dauphin would definetely be a better pick than Carrier.
Happy with Hagg to the Stars, might prefer Lazar or Wennberg though.
i admire how hard the Jackets play, having seen them in 2 games so far this year. if they were lucky enough to get 2 picks in the top 10 this year, it could move the rebuild along much faster. it will be interesting to see where they will end up drafting with their three 1st rounders, and still perhaps having a high 2nd rounder as well.