HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Prime: Jarome Iginla vs Joe Thornton

View Poll Results: Which player was better in their primes?
Jarome Iginla 51 28.02%
Joe Thornton 131 71.98%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-15-2013, 07:19 AM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

vCash: 50
If Iginla had some good teammates during his prime, he could have potted in two more 50 goal seasons.

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:52 AM
shazariahl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
If that were true than Thornton (29G 96A 125P) probably wouldn't have even been a finalist for the Hart trophy over the likes of Jagr (54G 69A 123P), Ovechkin (52G 54A 106P and Heatley (50G 54A 104P), but he won the Hart trophy.

And Thornton was way ahead of the competition in assists in his two dominant years, in 2005-2006 he had 96 assists, next closest was Spezza with 71, in 2006-2007 he had 92 and the next closest was Crosby with 84 (he also lead the league in assists by 1 the following year). The years Iggy won the goal scoring race he had 52, next closest was Sundin with 41 and then the other time he was in a 3-way tie for first with 41 goals. Thornton was far and away the best playmaker in the league for those years, whereas Iggy only really separated himself from the pack once.

Joe Thornton has been top 10 in assists 9 times in row, dating back to 2002-2003 when he was 23 years old. 6 of those 9 times he was in the top 3.

Jarome Iginla has been top 10 in goals only four times in his career (two firsts, two thirds).

You can't really use the 'assists are easy' argument when Joe Thornton has been much better at getting assists relative to his competition than Iginla has been at getting goals. If getting assists was so easy than Thornton would have a harder time consistently being consistently one of the best at it for a decade.
Excellent point. 9 consecutive top 10 finishes is pretty hard to argue with.

shazariahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:09 AM
icKx
What now?

I never saw Joe dominate a playoff series like prime Iginla

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Clowe Me

Thornton, without hesitation.

Iggy is a great PF, but Thornton was a guy who took his team from the bottom to the playoffs in 58 games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
What series did Iginla dominate? He had a solid 04 goal-wise, but was also helped incredibly by contributions from unlikely sources (Nieminen, Nilson, Gelinas). Thornton has never benefited from secondary scoring like that in the po's.

Plus, Thornton in his prime helps his team get to the playoffs every year. Iginla was hit and miss.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
That was not the problem he was in amazing shape but he added to much muscle and couldn't do skate the same way he had before.
Well then he shouldn't have been juicing. You don't put "too much muscle" as a 28-30 year old professional athlete. Maybe he got fat and out of shape, sure, but not the other.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Dangler99*

Prime Thorton. Scoring finishes of 1st, 2nd, 5th in three straight seasons...

Dangler99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Thornton for me..I think he had the better prime and the best season of the last decade when he got 96 assists.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:56 PM
joseph_kerr

God it's depressing looking at that barren wasteland that is Iginla's playoff career. Just five years of making the playoffs and only once making it out of the first round. Guy deserved better.

joseph_kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Bruv
Loveless

Thornton

not close at all

Bruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:10 PM
TOML

Wow. I'm picking Iginla here every time. Faster. Tougher. Much better at scoring goals. He was the complete package.

Not to mention during Iginla's prime he was all alone in Calgary during the dead puck era while Jumbo's prime was post-2004-lockout and he had tons of help.

Surprised at the poll not even being close.

TOML

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:13 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

I love Iginla, but it's easily Thornton. Only player not named Gretzky or Lemieux to put up back to back 90+ assist seasons. Highest scoring player of the 2000's on top of that.

ryedog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
What Iginla did with the talent that surrounded him between 2001 to 2009 is pretty damn impressive.
This. He was unstoppable in his prime. A treat to watch every night.

Thornton was a beast too though. Its hard comparing an elite C to an elite RW.

Money Baer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:47 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post
Thornton

not close at all
Definitely close, but clear choice is Thornton; this situation is analogous to Backes vs Pavelski, the difference isn't great, but the clear choice is Backes in that poll.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
Wow. I'm picking Iginla here every time. Faster. Tougher. Much better at scoring goals. He was the complete package.

Not to mention during Iginla's prime he was all alone in Calgary during the dead puck era while Jumbo's prime was post-2004-lockout and he had tons of help.

Surprised at the poll not even being close.

TOML
Lol at the word tougher, this is not a thread between iginla and sedins. Thornton is one of the toughest players to play this game, takes a beating night in, night out. Will fight any one if needed, people seem to forget thornton has fought (not for a few years) legit heavy weights, has fought getzlaf. Plays through sever injuries (missing part of his finger, along with a dislocated shoulder).

And thorntons prime has been from 2002-03 to basically 2 years ago where he was putting up 88 points.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:09 PM
couturefan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
Thornton has been dominant in the last 3 years in the playoffs and has been our best forward, playoff performer (along with Pavelski).

couturefan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:18 PM
joseph_kerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
Lol at the word tougher, this is not a thread between iginla and sedins. Thornton is one of the toughest players to play this game, takes a beating night in, night out. Will fight any one if needed, people seem to forget thornton has fought (not for a few years) legit heavy weights, has fought getzlaf. Plays through sever injuries (missing part of his finger, along with a dislocated shoulder).

And thorntons prime has been from 2002-03 to basically 2 years ago where he was putting up 88 points.
Always hear about how Thornton was a tough guy in his younger years but really had no idea how underwhelming his fight card was. Highwater mark of four fights in 99 and there's some decent names in there but no one that impressive aside from Lindros and we all know how that turned out.

Good Lord he's fought Scott Nichol. Guy was the size of a wet rat.

joseph_kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
As a Stars fan, I hate the Sharks and can't stand giving anything resembling credit to their team or players, but this is Thornton all the way.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph_kerr View Post
Always hear about how Thornton was a tough guy in his younger years but really had no idea how underwhelming his fight card was. Highwater mark of four fights in 99 and there's some decent names in there but no one that impressive aside from Lindros and we all know how that turned out.

Good Lord he's fought Scott Nichol. Guy was the size of a wet rat.
The fact you say he fought nichol shows you do not know much about thornton. Nichol went after thornton, and thornton being the nice guy he is just held him away like a big bro does to his baby brother.

Buchberger, odelein were both heavyweights in there time.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:17 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
If Iginla had some good teammates during his prime, he could have potted in two more 50 goal seasons.
Thornton got cheechoo a 50 goal season.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:31 PM
MessierII

All i know is Joe Thornton was arguably the best player in the world in his prime. Not sure Iginla was ever in that conversation. Guy is unreal though. Both great Canadians.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:15 AM
Wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
All i know is Joe Thornton was arguably the best player in the world in his prime. Not sure Iginla was ever in that conversation. Guy is unreal though. Both great Canadians.
He tied in Hart voting but lost on number of first place votes to Jose Theodore.

I credit him with a Hart on that season anyways. That said I still think Thornton's peak was higher than Iginla's. It's just Iginla's consistency as a power forward goalscorer is incredible, especially since power forwards and goal scorers tend to fizzle out quickly after their mid-late 20s.

Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:38 AM
DropIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Thornton, without hesitation.

Iggy is a great PF, but Thornton was a guy who took his team from the bottom to the playoffs in 58 games.

What series did Iginla dominate? He had a solid 04 goal-wise, but was also helped incredibly by contributions from unlikely sources (Nieminen, Nilson, Gelinas). Thornton has never benefited from secondary scoring like that in the po's.

Plus, Thornton in his prime helps his team get to the playoffs every year. Iginla was hit and miss

Im sorry but if you have to ask this question, your vote should be nullified.

Gelinas had some awesome 'eliminator' goals, but Iginla showed up every shift, every night of that 03/04 playoffs and carried that offense.

DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 12:41 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
Joe.

Not close.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:13 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Im sorry but if you have to ask this question, your vote should be nullified.

Gelinas had some awesome 'eliminator' goals, but Iginla showed up every shift, every night of that 03/04 playoffs and carried that offense.
He showed up. Yes he did. Scored a goal every other game on average. I didn't watch his first 2 series, but I don't think he dominated the SJ or TB series. Just my opinion.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:25 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
If that were true than Thornton (29G 96A 125P) probably wouldn't have even been a finalist for the Hart trophy over the likes of Jagr (54G 69A 123P), Ovechkin (52G 54A 106P and Heatley (50G 54A 104P), but he won the Hart trophy.

And Thornton was way ahead of the competition in assists in his two dominant years, in 2005-2006 he had 96 assists, next closest was Spezza with 71, in 2006-2007 he had 92 and the next closest was Crosby with 84 (he also lead the league in assists by 1 the following year). The years Iggy won the goal scoring race he had 52, next closest was Sundin with 41 and then the other time he was in a 3-way tie for first with 41 goals. Thornton was far and away the best playmaker in the league for those years, whereas Iggy only really separated himself from the pack once.

Joe Thornton has been top 10 in assists 9 times in row, dating back to 2002-2003 when he was 23 years old. 6 of those 9 times he was in the top 3.

Jarome Iginla has been top 10 in goals only four times in his career (two firsts, two thirds).

You can't really use the 'assists are easy' argument when Joe Thornton has been much better at getting assists relative to his competition than Iginla has been at getting goals. If getting assists was so easy than Thornton would have a harder time consistently being consistently one of the best at it for a decade.
Those are not sound arguments. Assists being easier to get than goals has nothing to do with how much better Thornton is at playmaking than other players. The mere fact that there ARE more assists awarded than goals indicates that they're easier to get; that's a matter of fact.

You're also comparing apples to oranges by comparing ranking in assists vs ranking in goals; that's even worse than just using straight point totals. And finally, the Hart trophy is not "who got the most points that matter", it's the most valuable player on a team. That takes into account an entire set of opinions and crap in addition to a player's scoring.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote