HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grade/Discuss Josh Bailey

View Poll Results: Grade for Bailey
A+ 0 0%
A 0 0%
A- 2 2.94%
B+ 11 16.18%
B 19 27.94%
B- 20 29.41%
C+ 10 14.71%
C 4 5.88%
C- 2 2.94%
D+ 0 0%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 0 0%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Grade/Discuss Josh Bailey

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474573

Bailey is a tough one to grade. He shows moments where he looks like he's going to take off and then moments where he's flatline. I would like to see him be more aggressive and hungry for the puck.

Grade: C+

07-24-2013, 01:07 PM
2ndGenIslander
Free Broadway Jay

vCash: 500
Gave him a B. Shows a lot of promise at age 23 coming from a player that was screwed around with so badly by management as a prospect.

Last edited by 2ndGenIslander: 07-24-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: wording
2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:13 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

I'm usually his biggest critic, and I gave him a C-.

I'll admit, he had a solid end to the season and had a pretty good playoff. But there hasn't been one season that he's shown any sort of consistency or identity to his game. He used to show flashes of brilliance in playmaking, that to me seems like it's disappeared. He doesn't have a great shot (or if he does he barely uses it). I know that he was rushed, but he still could have been better.

I hope for the Islanders' sake that this is the season that he starts to show more consistency, and after the last few years I'm not sure why he was given a five year contract when he:

a) Takes too long to actually contribute
b) Disappears when it matters
c) Hasn't been a solid fit on a line (he hasn't been a mainstay on a line until recently with Frans and KO)

All that being said, I think he can develop and be better, but I don't have high hopes for him.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:28 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Gave him a B+. Took big strides as far as I'm concerned, and played a big part in this team going on the run that ultimately carried them into the playoffs. Showed nice chemistry with Tavares in the short time he spent on that line. Hopefully he gets a longer look with him next year.

I've always held out hope for Bailey, but I've never been as confident in him turning into a legit player as I am now. Kid is a keeper.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

C- he isn't Marty Reasoner bad

Dutch Frost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 01:55 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post

I'll admit, he had a solid end to the season and had a pretty good playoff. But there hasn't been one season that he's shown any sort of consistency or identity to his game. He used to show flashes of brilliance in playmaking, that to me seems like it's disappeared. He doesn't have a great shot (or if he does he barely uses it). I know that he was rushed, but he still could have been better.

I hope for the Islanders' sake that this is the season that he starts to show more consistency, and after the last few years I'm not sure why he was given a five year contract when he:

c) Hasn't been a solid fit on a line (he hasn't been a mainstay on a line until recently with Frans and KO)

All that being said, I think he can develop and be better, but I don't have high hopes for him.
Seems like a bit of a contradiction.

Old
07-24-2013, 01:59 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Seems like a bit of a contradiction.
Yeah, I should have worded that differently.

Throughout the last three or so seasons, he started playing extremely well when the team had no shot at making the playoffs. When the team needed an offensive boost, I don't think he had any good streaks. This year that changed a little bit, but I think his playoff has been overrated by some fans here.

I think he'd be better in a 3rd line role.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Killerlnstinct
Infector Of Souls

Send a message via MSN to Killerlnstinct
B-/C+....I expect him to be a B or B+ this year.

Killerlnstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:04 PM
19NYSports91

I gave him a B for now, I really like him as a player. Needs to be more consistent obviously, but I think if he's with Tavares for the whole year, it will benefit both players a lot and will put up a lot of points. Bailey is good in all 3 zones, brings good speed up the ice when carrying the puck, smart player, very good shot actually, very good passer, great hands. He's easily the 2nd most talented forward on the Isles right now. He tries to get too fancy sometimes, but last year I think we saw less of that and was shooting more at the end of the year.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:07 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:

Actually, he has a VERY good shot, slap shot and wrist shot.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:09 PM
IceAce
Strait Trippin'

vCash: 13477
B-

It was night and day since he moved to the wing. Let's hope he stays there.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:14 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Yeah, I should have worded that differently.

Throughout the last three or so seasons, he started playing extremely well when the team had no shot at making the playoffs. When the team needed an offensive boost, I don't think he had any good streaks. This year that changed a little bit, but I think his playoff has been overrated by some fans here.

I think he'd be better in a 3rd line role.
I think Okposo did that as well: starting to play when the season didn't matter anymore. I think it's just a matter of young guys finding consistency. Obviously they have proven that they can play when it matters just by what they did this season. If you aren't impressed by his postseason numbers, just look at the success Tavares had once Bailey took over Moulson's spot. The difference was night and day.

I don't see Bailey ever playing lower than a top-six role here. He's shown his best chemistry with Tavares(small sample size, I know) and Okposo, both of which are top-six players. IMO it wouldn't make sense to play him with anyone else.

If we're grading him on his career, I agree he should probably be a C at best. If we are grading him on last year, I wouldn't put him anywhere lower than a B. The guy stepped up, and stood out. He was a clear difference maker during that run. He was always noticeable, even when he wasn't scoring or contributing to goals, and he got the job done at the other end of the ice.

He's still only 23, which is insane. Even Okposo is still trying to figure it out, and he's got 2 years on Josh. I understand why you and other people aren't sold yet, but like I said I've never been as confident in him as I am at this point. I fully expect him to become a quality top-six guy(if he isn't already), and maybe even a big point producer if he can find a way to stick with JT.

As far as I'm concerned, the best is still yet to come with Bailey.

Old
07-24-2013, 02:19 PM
rikker
fan since '75.

gave him a B-. i think he is on track to be what i hoped he would be. a solid 2nd liner.

really like the whole 'grade the player' idea. good work!

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 02:25 PM
redbull
manage the *uck

If anyone can think of a player who's been drafted and put into a tougher situation for his first 3-4 years in the NHL please point them out. Look at the team he was on, the support (lack of) he received, is there ANY of his linemates, even the best ones, that are even in the NHL anymore?

Here are Bailey's first four years in the NHL, his top forward linemates and his output. Bear in mind the Isles finished dead last his rookie year (thank you for TAVARES) and his top defensmen when he was on the ice (excluded here) included names like Thomas Pock, Bruno Gervais, Chris Campoli, Brendan Witt - good times for a teenager.

And what the FFF was Nino complaining about exactly?

year 1: comeau, okposo, hilbert, guerin (7G 25pts)
year 2: okposo, sim, neilsen, tambellini (16G 35pts)
year 3: comeau, schremp, grabner, joensuu (11G 28PTS)
year 4: martin, rolston, nielsen, ullstrom (13G 32PTS)

So while we sit back and admire Moulson's goal totals, Parenteau's points/game, how Boyes' numbers looked last year, let's not forget that Bailey hasn't been so fortunate with his NHL situation as some have.

Now, it's on BAILEY to prove he deserves more minutes and to truly earn it, and take the jobs away from others. And it's true, Bailey hasn't exactly taken the jobs away from others - but his numbers, under the circumstances, are pretty damn good. Consider only Eberle and Stamkos have outscored Bailey (goals) from his draft year.

And he's become a very good player without the puck, can kill penalties, play 5on5, play PP (though he doesn't get many minutes). I'm not sure why this guy's such a whipping boy.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 03:07 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
And he's become a very good player without the puck, can kill penalties, play 5on5, play PP (though he doesn't get many minutes). I'm not sure why this guy's such a whipping boy.
Points are really the only thing that matters to some. Wouldn't be surprised if the people who think Bailey is a bad player, are the same people who think Moulson is a great one.

Bailey's problem starts and ends where he was drafted. People need to get over that. The kid is good.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 03:45 PM
scott99

I gave Bailey a "C". IF he has another 30+ point season, that means to me that he is what he is, a guy who'll give you 10-15 goals a season, and that's not what he was drafted to be. He really needs to show a big improvement offensively this year, anything under 20 goals and under 50 points will be a disappointment. He scored 96 points his last year of juniors, he has to start showing some of that offensive upside. Otherwise, throw him on the 3rd or 4th line until we get rid of him. I'm sorry, but until proven otherwise, he's been a disappointment. Time to show Islander's brass why they've shown faith in you Bailey.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 03:54 PM
19 in a row

solid B+ .. his play is so much more than scoring, pp, pk, two way forward.. he has a great instinct for being in the right place at the right time, seldom out of position.. gets back well.. has all the skills, just needs to put it together, shoot more and not over think and try to do too much.. we saw him take big strides at the end of last year after the injury followed by a slow start.. biggest criticism from many seems to be that he has not been consistent or shown he can do in more than spurts.. I think this is the year he shows whether or not he will take the next step or just flatten out (barring injury).. I am hopeful and see him continuing to progress.. yes I am solidly on the Bailey bandwagon..

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 03:59 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
Points are really the only thing that matters to some. Wouldn't be surprised if the people who think Bailey is a bad player, are the same people who think Moulson is a great one.

Bailey's problem starts and ends where he was drafted. People need to get over that. The kid is good.
I actually think this is more common than not, at least it was that way in my section last year.. the Moulson fans seemed to also be the anti-bailey crowd and vice versa (I was part of the vice versa).

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

I gave him a B+.

He seems to do quite a few smart things with, put more importantly, without the puck.

He just needs to do them more often.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 04:51 PM
crashthenet

I think he's on the cusp.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:00 PM
JKP

Solid B. sound defensively but hasn't consistently shown the offense yet for his draft order. Still young, tho, and showing signs of improving.

JKP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 05:52 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

I give Bailey a B. I've always been a fan of his and I hope he finally has a breakout season next year. All the pieces are in place for him to build off the solid playoff run and playoff series. He's got his new 'core member' contract, confidence should be high, he finally has a defined role and a defined position on the wing.

Bailey was the 1st piece of the rebuild and it's been a lot of ups and downs with him. I used to look at him as the sacrificial lamb before Tavares was drafted, yet another prospect ruined by being rushed. Despite everything he has gone through in his young career, he's emerged from all of it as a quality NHL player who still has the upside for more. His career kind of parallels the how the rebuild has gone.

If you really look at it, Bailey is the model for the kind of player that Snow wanted to build this team around. High character and high hockey intelligence are seemingly universal traits of all the core players and top prospects during the Snow regime. Tavares, Strome, Reinhart, Pulock all wore the C for their Junior teams and Bailey was named captain of the Spitfires after being drafted since it was expected that he'd return to the OHL. To add, Hamonic was a co-captain of Moose Jaw as well. That's a lot of leaders in a locker room and it all started with Bailey with the 9th pick in 2008.

I root for him because he was the one that started all of this off and the team is built in his image, not Tavares. Tavares was a gift from the hockey gods so he doesn't count, but he fits the Bailey mold of the type of player Snow likes.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Hockey Sock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikker View Post
gave him a B-. i think he is on track to be what i hoped he would be. a solid 2nd liner.

really like the whole 'grade the player' idea. good work!
This. My thoughts exactly.

Hockey Sock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Jester9881

This is the first season he's ever had stability. He knows he's going to be in the NHL, on the Islanders playing wing and he's signed beyond this season.

He's been here the longest of the "core", but he's never had this stability. You have to figure that had some kind of effect on his play.

Jester9881 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2013, 07:31 PM
LeapOnOver
Extend Nielsen!!

I gave him a B, but really was close to a B-. I'm probably giving him a B hoping that he wasn't just a 1 month wonder like he has been in the past.

I've called him Failey before and refused to make all the apologies that many others feel like making for him. With that said, I still want him to succeed. I am a much bigger fan of Okposo because it's evident to me he is busting his ass to get to the next level, where Bailey just seems, well, disinterested.

I know they have different personalities, but seriously it's out there what Okposo is doing to assert himself as a top 6 player and when we talk about Bailey you hear, " I just have to stay the course and play my game and the points will come". Tired of hearing that. Okposo isn't staying the course, he's exhausting all outlets to improve himself as a hockey player. Maybe Bailey is more private, but I'd like to hear he is doing these things before I get excited about him.

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote