HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

NCAA DI: 20 years from now

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2005, 02:18 AM
futurcorerock

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
NCAA DI: 20 years from now

Late night and bored... so I was wondering:

In 20 years, where do you see DI Hockey being. Consider such parameters:

-Talent Pool vs CHL: Americans and where they're from, international players, etc.
-Number of teams, leagues, movements (including predictions as to where they'll be located)
-Overall popularity vs other Collegiate sports.

I have to admit that over the past few years i've been getting more excited about College Hockey in the US and much of what it brings to the table in terms of the quality. Most of my friends are blown away when I passively mention a school like Alabama-Huntsville having a DI Hockey team.

Just curious as to what the rest of you think about the future of college hockey in the US

Old
03-18-2005, 03:33 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

IMO I think it has a healthy future. Collegiate hockey has grown by leaps and bounds just in the last decade. With college sports being as popular as they are now (and I'm not just talking football and basketball here), more TV channels are being devoted to them and thus more exposure for more people.

Also, not all college hockey fans are die-hard NHL fans, just like not all NHL fans (namely here in the US) are die-hard NCAA hockey fans. As long as the college game is around, college sports will always be around. Heck, Yale, Harvard and Princeton have ALL had hockey programs longer than the NHL's been around. As I said as long as there is the support of its community, it'll survive. Granted some have gone by the wayside (i.e. Findlay, Iona and Illinois-Chicago), but many have survived and will continue to do so.

Old
03-18-2005, 08:39 AM
Schlep Rock

I was thinking about this the other day... by 2015 it'd be nice to see 65-70 D-1 programs. Is it likely? Possibly.

That'd be approximately 1,625-1,750 hockey players (figuring 25/team) compared to around 1,450 this year.

Old
03-18-2005, 01:00 PM
devildan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlep Rock
I was thinking about this the other day... by 2015 it'd be nice to see 65-70 D-1 programs. Is it likely? Possibly.

That'd be approximately 1,625-1,750 hockey players (figuring 25/team) compared to around 1,450 this year.
There are already 58 D1 teams, so I would say that is incredibly possible.

Old
03-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

We did a thread on schools adding hockey a little while ago. The obvious candidates were Lindwood, URI, and Navy.

I think there will be more schools in the west and sunbelt adding D-1 teams TexasTornado mentioned Oklahoma and Texas Tech were looking at varsity teams down the road. INCH asked Brett Sterling if he saw California getting D-1 hockey
Quote:
INCH: Do you envision a day where four to six Pac-10 teams are playing D-I college hockey?

Sterling: That would be great, especially for kids from California, being able to stay close to home and getting to play. But do I see it happening? Maybe. I don’t see it in the near future, but hopefully someday.
I think down the road there will be more D-1 teams in Colorado given our upsurge in hockey participation.

It's also a good way for schools to establish their athletic reputation if they are overshadowed by bigger schools.

Old
03-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
We did a thread on schools adding hockey a little while ago. The obvious candidates were Lindwood, URI, and Navy.

I think there will be more schools in the west and sunbelt adding D-1 teams TexasTornado mentioned Oklahoma and Texas Tech were looking at varsity teams down the road. INCH asked Brett Sterling if he saw California getting D-1 hockey

I think down the road there will be more D-1 teams in Colorado given our upsurge in hockey participation.

It's also a good way for schools to establish their athletic reputation if they are overshadowed by bigger schools.
Sterling is just one of a growing wave of players coming into the NCAA from California. Ever since Wayne Gretzky came to LA in 1988, Ice hockey has really taken off in the golden state. Also, if you take a look at the pee wee/squirt leagues around the country, the sport itself among youngsters has really grown and California has been no exception. It's also gotten very popular in Texas (just ask Tornado), another non-traditional hockey hot bed.

Old
03-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Hecht

I hoping that regular season games will be shown on ESPN instead of just the frozen 4. Oh and EA Sports buys the license for NCAA hockey..

Old
03-18-2005, 02:27 PM
PanthersRule96

First off, they need to build up the publicity. Second off, they need to make a SEC, south east conference, with teams in like FLA, GA, ALA, etc... and the midwest. IF kids go to school and see college hockey in the south, they'll come out as hockey fans and the NHL and college hockey will get a stronger market.

Old
03-18-2005, 05:17 PM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecht
I hoping that regular season games will be shown on ESPN instead of just the frozen 4. Oh and EA Sports buys the license for NCAA hockey..
god.... NCAA Mens Hockey video games... i foam at the mouth

Old
03-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule
First off, they need to build up the publicity. Second off, they need to make a SEC, south east conference, with teams in like FLA, GA, ALA, etc... and the midwest. IF kids go to school and see college hockey in the south, they'll come out as hockey fans and the NHL and college hockey will get a stronger market.
Thats pretty much what I feel about hockey in the south. Expose it to them at the college level, and then hope that they like hockey enough to go to Pro Games.

And as for D1, the one thing holding it back from really taking off is Title VI. I know it keeps at least 5 schools from being Varsiety (Penn State, Purdue, to name a few) and it if it were repealed, it would probobly mean a lot of schools would take a serious look at adding a team.

03-19-2005, 10:35 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
That is a very, VERY good point. Well said.

Old
03-19-2005, 10:36 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow
Thats pretty much what I feel about hockey in the south. Expose it to them at the college level, and then hope that they like hockey enough to go to Pro Games.

And as for D1, the one thing holding it back from really taking off is Title VI. I know it keeps at least 5 schools from being Varsiety (Penn State, Purdue, to name a few) and it if it were repealed, it would probobly mean a lot of schools would take a serious look at adding a team.
Title VI - not familiar, please explain.

Last edited by Oilers Chick: 03-20-2005 at 08:56 PM.
Old
03-19-2005, 10:40 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf
You don't mean title IX (9) do you?

Old
03-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Robert Morris will rule all the land!

...or not.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
03-20-2005, 04:33 PM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
I think that it would have been better for the NHL if college hockey expanded before the NHL did. It allows for more university students to see the sport, hopefully enjoying it, then growing up to like it and becoming a fan of an NHL team.

Old
03-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
You don't mean title IX (9) do you?
Its title XI. Its been awhile since Ive used Roman Numerals. For anyone not farmiliar with it, basicly, it states that a school must spend the same percentage of Money on Womans sports as there are woman in the enrolled at the schoool. IE: if a school is 40% female, 40% of the schools sports budget goes towards womans sports.

Old
03-20-2005, 04:57 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm of two minds on Title IX in college sports. I think women deserve the opportunity, but the way it's forcing out programs in sports like baseball and wrestling just discredits it. I'd like to see some more leway in the process.

For schools adding hockey it's probably going to be a case of who'll ad a women's team as a loss leader to have a men's squad.

I so want college hockey on PS2. If EA would could make it like NCAA FOotball 2005 I would be ecstatic. Having the college ranks there like the Euro leagues would be great too. The season and tournement would have great playability.

Old
03-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Hecht

Quote:
I'm of two minds on Title IX in college sports. I think women deserve the opportunity, but the way it's forcing out programs in sports like baseball and wrestling just discredits it. I'd like to see some more leway in the process.

For schools adding hockey it's probably going to be a case of who'll ad a women's team as a loss leader to have a men's squad.

I so want college hockey on PS2. If EA would could make it like NCAA FOotball 2005 I would be ecstatic. Having the college ranks there like the Euro leagues would be great too. The season and tournement would have great playability.
let's not forget the recruiting aspect for the game as well... I think also including the crowd's area chants would be awesome too.

Old
03-20-2005, 08:45 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow
Its title XI. Its been awhile since Ive used Roman Numerals. For anyone not farmiliar with it, basicly, it states that a school must spend the same percentage of Money on Womans sports as there are woman in the enrolled at the schoool. IE: if a school is 40% female, 40% of the schools sports budget goes towards womans sports.
Title 11??? XI=11. I think Title IX (9) is the one with the women and men having the budget stuff. Not to be nitpicking or anything, but I dunno, is it 11 or 9, I am not aware of Title 11.

Old
03-20-2005, 08:56 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf

Title VI is racial equality. Title IX is gender equality. I know that in hockey (not sure about the other sports), the ice hockey governing arm of the NCAA would like to have a women's team fielded with the men's team when taking a new school into consideration (among other factors) as a new D-I program. I've mentioned this before. That's was apparently the deciding factor for Quinnipiac (over Holy Cross) to be accepted into the ECACHL to take Vermont's place next season when UVM moves to Hockey East.

Old
03-20-2005, 08:57 PM
acr*

Quote:

I'm just a chauvanist. Nobody gives a crap about girls' sports, we want hockey and baseball!

Old
03-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr
I'm just a chauvanist. Nobody gives a crap about girls' sports, we want hockey and baseball!
I'll say this, I can watch women's hockey. Women's BBall

Yes I know the better fundementals make up for the lack of dunking.

That said, basketball is probably the cheapest sport and helps schools get compliance for D-1 status.

Oh yeah women hockey players are alot hotter than women's basketball players.

Old
03-20-2005, 10:08 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Oh yeah women hockey players are alot hotter than women's basketball players.
Men are alot hotter than women's basketball players.

Old
03-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Patman

Quote:
This is idealistic because there is nothing to show that any of those schools will take the risk on NCAA hockey.

Hockey will grow by schools looking for a niche and doing something different. Many programs will start as minimal cost situations but may grow from that situation, both of which will take time. Any team in the south and far west will have issues due to travel (see the St. Olaf thread) since they will be low regarded and will have to travel. Hockey's hard to move into because there is no good fit for conferences and opponents, Title IX is a big issue but I think eventually football will be exempted, and of course the general costs for rinks and 18 scholarships. I think expansion towards the south will be slow. Unless a Cali. school wants to take the CHA route its going to be a tough expansion. This is why the SEC/ACC won't be up and running any time soon... good luck getting established programs to schedule you on the road.

I think the realistic prospects will be one at a time little by little, I wouldn't be shocked to see some programs that still have hockey on the heart try to get back into it. There is still supposedly a soft place for hockey at St. Louis for instance. Other schools might pick up hockey in the recruiting beds. I have no reason to give any reasons but I wouldn't ever be shocked if more of the Northeast Conference or CAA members started to look more towards hockey... nobody is going to do it all at once to be sure. Its going to be a lot of non-typical schools that make the push. Because of that it makes me happy that schools like UMass-Lowell won't lose its place to the "established conferences" and the power they'll demand just because they are supposed to be important. Hockey is real fun because we don't have to deal with Duke, UNC, Maryland, Florida, FSU, Texas, WVU, Pitt, so on, so forth. As much as some people would like to see those schools I see it as a matter of grasping at some sort of hope of a national identity carryover effect. It would destroy College Hockey to be another proxy battle for the power conferences. Hockey doesn't need that, it needs to be its own identity.

Old
03-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman
This is idealistic because there is nothing to show that any of those schools will take the risk on NCAA hockey.

Hockey will grow by schools looking for a niche and doing something different. Many programs will start as minimal cost situations but may grow from that situation, both of which will take time. Any team in the south and far west will have issues due to travel (see the St. Olaf thread) since they will be low regarded and will have to travel. Hockey's hard to move into because there is no good fit for conferences and opponents, Title IX is a big issue but I think eventually football will be exempted, and of course the general costs for rinks and 18 scholarships. I think expansion towards the south will be slow. Unless a Cali. school wants to take the CHA route its going to be a tough expansion. This is why the SEC/ACC won't be up and running any time soon... good luck getting established programs to schedule you on the road.
You've got a point here. I respect the hell out of Alabama-Huntsville for sacrificing to have a D-1 program. Instead of the SEC, adding some programs in the mid-south (like Navy, the Kentucky area, in Ok, in Texas) and some more western expansion. I could see a West Coast non-football school like Pepperdine or Portland adding a hockey program.

Quote:
I think the realistic prospects will be one at a time little by little, I wouldn't be shocked to see some programs that still have hockey on the heart try to get back into it. There is still supposedly a soft place for hockey at St. Louis for instance. Other schools might pick up hockey in the recruiting beds. I have no reason to give any reasons but I wouldn't ever be shocked if more of the Northeast Conference or CAA members started to look more towards hockey... nobody is going to do it all at once to be sure. Its going to be a lot of non-typical schools that make the push. Because of that it makes me happy that schools like UMass-Lowell won't lose its place to the "established conferences" and the power they'll demand just because they are supposed to be important. Hockey is real fun because we don't have to deal with Duke, UNC, Maryland, Florida, FSU, Texas, WVU, Pitt, so on, so forth. As much as some people would like to see those schools I see it as a matter of grasping at some sort of hope of a national identity carryover effect. It would destroy College Hockey to be another proxy battle for the power conferences. Hockey doesn't need that, it needs to be its own identity.
That's one thing I love about college hockey is it isn't devided along the basketball/football lines. The Ivy league schools contend, DU has rivalries with Minnesota and Wisconsin, schools are powers that don't even show up in other sports.

I think the immediate step would be to get the CHA into a solid conference that doesn't have to worry about lossing its automatic qualifier every year. If the AHA and CHA pull off a first round upset in the tourney I think it would help hockey (this year I'd much rather it be Mercyhurst than BSU.)

Closed Thread