HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Encompassing Tortorella/Sather Thread

View Poll Results: A quarter of the way through the 2013 season, do you approve or disapprove of Torts?
Approve 168 50.45%
Disapprove 165 49.55%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-13-2013, 02:32 PM
  #651
M Gaz
Drink to me
 
M Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Nashy coaching is a about getting a chance. Some people win others do not. Please don't knock a guy you know nothing about. What the F do Torts ever do to get a chance to coach in the NHL? he was a former player who couldn't even hack the ECHL so your statement makes no sense.
You're just making it sound like Fotiu would be the team's saving grace. What exactly has he done to be deserving of an NHL coaching job when he hasn't even coached in the AHL since 2005?

M Gaz is online now  
Old
03-13-2013, 02:40 PM
  #652
Thirty One
portnor, pls
 
Thirty One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,673
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
( go ahead make fun of me check out his stats as a coach and his PP %)
Can't. AHL doesn't keep records of team stats that long.

__________________


Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 02:41 PM
  #653
Dagoon44
Registered User
 
Dagoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,987
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
tell me what did Torts do? yes since 2005 I agree it has been a while no arguement there. I want the Rangers to be normal. Why do the Rangers only have 2 coaches behind the bench? cause Torts said so. Why don't the Rangers have PP guy running the unit like every other team? cause torts said so!!! what is he stone cold Johny Torts. Cause that the bottom line cause Torts Said SO !!!!

Dagoon44 is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 02:51 PM
  #654
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Fotiu was one of the best AHL coaches yr in and out running the PP. He has nothing to do with the Whale. Not being rude but research the facts before seeing the name and labeling him just a goon as you called him. Nicky was a well above avg hockey player with the best wrist shot on the team and one of the fastest skaters on the team. As a coach he won every level he was at.
Uh, Fotiu never won anything as an AHL coach. I don't even think he won anything in the ECHL either. Had a couple of decent playoff runs, but never actually won a championship.

Would really like to see these PP stats you're speaking so highly of.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 03:33 PM
  #655
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 18,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
tell me what did Torts do? yes since 2005 I agree it has been a while no arguement there. I want the Rangers to be normal. Why do the Rangers only have 2 coaches behind the bench? cause Torts said so. Why don't the Rangers have PP guy running the unit like every other team? cause torts said so!!! what is he stone cold Johny Torts. Cause that the bottom line cause Torts Said SO !!!!


Pretty much. The guy runs the show and I'm sure even Sather bows to his demands to an extent.

__________________

rip
Ail is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 03:34 PM
  #656
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
No more bizarre than your attempt to try and use the chance, incredibly lucky turn of events that saw Gainey succumb to some absurd pressure to get a center as justifying a complete and utter failure on the part of Sather to evaluate talent, conceive lineup combinations, and mishandle his team's budget.

Unless you're Gainey's therapist you're entirely out of your element trying to claim some traumatic event caused him to make a hockey trade. He was a NHL GM who made a deal that bit him in the ass while helping us a ton. Stop playing doctor, and ***** credit and blame where they clearly go. You make the rest of your arguments look bad by trying so hard to discredit an obvious good.

No, actually, because if Gomez isn't traded for McDonagh, then the team would have had a major cap problem, and the defense would be a lot more suspect.

And we would have won every game had we won every game and had the first perfect season in NHL history. Lets get out of hypothetical land, shall we?

I'm almost positive that it was, and when I have the time, I'll prove that. Regardless, that wasn't really the point. The point that you aren't responding to, which is that Drury was a disaster. The point that post-lockout Sather again displayed a total failure in evaluating talent and as a budget manager. That this man somehow confused a third line center who picked up garbage goals on a talent-studded power play unit for a second line center that deserved to be paid like a first line center.

Dude, are you saying you know me better than I know myself? Because honestly that would be a little creepy. I still say I've never said that, but if you can prove you know me better than I do then do it already.

Talk about strawman arguments, LOL. Of course, we shouldn't apologize for using our resources. There is nothing real about how you are looking at this, though; if there was, you wouldn't be trying to play it off like Sather has been using his MASSIVE advantage in resources over more than two-thirds of the teams in the league to garner success (there'd be no problem if that was the case). The reality, which you so conveniently fail to acknowledge, is that Sather has used said advantage just to keep pace with all of those teams. As already established, Sather has achieved NO success. He needs these numerous advantages just to keep the team from going under, since Sather has achieved no more success than any GM, and certainly less than some.

And this is the crux of the issue: despite having every advantage available, the best Sather has done since the lockout is mediocrity. He has used this advantage to achieve nothing but a crutch to keep himself from tripping over his own litany of mistakes. Yet you posit that he is an elite post-lockout GM?

If Sather had used these resources to accomplish something of note, then Sather would have done his job in a meritorious fashion. Instead, Sather has used these resources just to keep himself from being a total failure in every regard.

You look at results, I'll look at process. In the long run I'll have more success than you because while not all the time, but most of the time good process leads to good results. Good results in and of themselves, without good process, is usually short-lived and unsustainable. Not only that, but it usually leads to significant failures. You chase good results, you'll be chasing the past. You have good process and you'll have a good future.

Your entire position is a strawman. You haven't answered or refuted a single point I made. I ask you, once again, to name ONE GM other than Mike Milbury that has failed as often as Sather with as many advantages as Sather has. Keeping in mind, of course, that Sather has achieved NO success to date. None.

Brian Burke in Toronto? I think this is a silly game anyway. First of all once again you're going back to pre-lockout which I don't ****ing want to do. I don't know how many times I have to say that before you accept it. I will not defend pre-lockout sather. Again, post-lockout sather has had great process.

I already have. That's why you haven't refuted any point I've made (the drafting, for example, and how that forces Sather to attach himself to bad contracts like Richards and Nash). The last word I'd use to describe your stance on this topic (or really, any topic concerning this team) is discerning. Savvy trading, you said. Like Tyutin for Zherdev, right? Or Lisin for Korpikoski? Rozsival for Wolski? Dupuis for Bourret? The Matt Cullen contract and subsequent trade of him for scraps? He's made some good moves, he's also made a number of bad/terrible ones. If you're going to try and give him credit for someone else making the dumbest move EVER in taking Gomez off of his hands, then you need to look at the moves Sather made where incredible good fortune didn't play a role in helping him out of a jam.

Sather should have been fired not just after the lockout. He should have been fired in 2007. He should have been fired in 2008. He should have been fired in 2009, 2010, and 2011. That's the reality of it: he has one season of notable success. One. And if the playoffs started today, the Rangers would be on the outside looking in. Do I think that will be the case at the end of the season? No, but if the Rangers don't get out of the second round this year, then this will be yet another season of mediocrity.
Drafting has been good, and 95% of the board agrees so I'm not going to waste my time giving you all the arguments that have been all over the place already. Same thing with trading.

And how was last season "mediocrity"? First in the east, tied for second in the league. What, is there only 1 elite team per year? What a joke. And we made the conference finals, only 3 other teams in the league did that. Winning championships is hard. New Yorkers have been spoiled by the yankees.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 03:38 PM
  #657
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Where was the fire torts crowd during our 4 game winning streak? Or then when we won 4 our of 5?

Winning cures all ills I guess, with ills being a vocal minority of posters based on the voting which still shows more support for torts than opposition

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 03:47 PM
  #658
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 18,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Where was the fire torts crowd during our 4 game winning streak? Or then when we won 4 our of 5?

Winning cures all ills I guess, with ills being a vocal minority of posters based on the voting which still shows more support for torts than opposition
There is little point in pointing out the bad during a win streak as it is met with posts like:

"OMG they won and you are still complaining?!?!??!"

"They won 4 of 5 get off the ledge!"

So on and so forth. I do not blame anyone for not wanting to talk about it during wins.

Ail is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 03:51 PM
  #659
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Where was the fire torts crowd during our 4 game winning streak? Or then when we won 4 our of 5?

Winning cures all ills I guess, with ills being a vocal minority of posters based on the voting which still shows more support for torts than opposition
I was posting about it during the wins early in the year where they played like crap and still miraculously won. Torts defenders claimed that I was still whining after we won. I'll admit, our puck possession game has gotten a lot better the past few weeks but still isn't where I'd personally like it to be with the talent on the roster.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 04:02 PM
  #660
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Where was the fire torts crowd during our 4 game winning streak? Or then when we won 4 our of 5?

Winning cures all ills I guess, with ills being a vocal minority of posters based on the voting which still shows more support for torts than opposition
Even last year when they were one of the best/most successful teams in the league, there were times where the team looked completely un-coached. At least in some areas.

I am not talking only about large stretches of underwhelming play, but perpetual problems with the breakout, clearing the zone and of course the PP.

I'm not a Torts hater. But some of his moves make me scratch my head.

McRanger is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 04:02 PM
  #661
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
B.S. Staal and Girardi are both Renney players. Hank is a 7 million dollar horse that needs to play but also needs rest to go when the time is right.. Don't get personal respond to the post and act like a normal person and not a thug. Avery Lover far from it just a guy that forgot more about Hockey then you will ever know..
Get personal with you? Because it is widely known that you like Avery and players like him? Don't start attacking other posters and questioning their knowledge of hockey when you are a fan that enjoys the fighting aspect of the game, which is an aspect that is not important to playing the game of hockey. Staal and Girardi were 22 and 24 years old respectively when Tortorella became coach. Don't be ignorant and naive because you have a vendetta against Tortorella. That year when Torts took over in february, Girardi was a -14. In the following years his +/-, PIM, and TOI all have improved/increased while Torts has been the coach. It's not Renney's coaching, it is Torts. And if anything being given extra 3-5 min of TOI in the following years would allow more time for his +/- and PIM to be affected in a negative manner, however, it has not. Both players have improved significantly while Torts has been the coach. You want to call me a thug for criticizing your mindless anger towards Torts, fine be that way. Not going to bother me. Just provided you with FACTS. Not to mention, you had nothing to say in regards to McDonagh and Del Zotto's development. No we decided to ignore that part because it deters your hate and criticism for Torts. And again...Henrik is your star goalie. I don't care what he makes, that is irrelevant. It is a 48 game shortened season. No one is saying he should play all 48 (because he obviously won't with Biron having started a few games) but he will be fine. He didn't even play during the lockout. How much rest do you want to give the guy? He has played great lately. The goals that happened last night were not his fault. They weren't Torts' fault either. They were the team's fault because the team went in and played awful Girardi got caught a little flat footed on the Vanek goal and the team never recovered/responded. Get out of here with your hate. You want to dislike the guy that's fine. But at least bring substance to the table, not just your blatant opinion of hate and disregard for facts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Nashy coaching is a about getting a chance. Some people win others do not. Please don't knock a guy you know nothing about. What the F do Torts ever do to get a chance to coach in the NHL? he was a former player who couldn't even hack the ECHL so your statement makes no sense.
This more laughable than anything. Fotiu hasn't coached in years. You say he hasn't been given a chance, well why haven't 30 organizations given him a chance? Think before you speak. The AHL coaches that are given chances without NHL coaching experience tend to be the younger ones in today's game. And maybe Fotiu just didn't want to coach in the NHL. But even so, to suggest a coach who has been out of the game and to base it on purely PP success is shameful. It is ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McDonut View Post
staal was already a top defenseman before torts got here. and it can be argued that he didn't do much for McD. McD is just a beast.
Don't act like the coaching staff had no hand in McDonagh's development. Please don't be that naive around here. They even had him start in the AHL. He is going through growing pains right now. Part of coaching his recognition and management. Things Torts has exemplified well with his defense.

RGY is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 04:08 PM
  #662
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Get personal with you? Because it is widely known that you like Avery and players like him? Don't start attacking other posters and questioning their knowledge of hockey when you are a fan that enjoys the fighting aspect of the game, which is an aspect that is not important to playing the game of hockey. Staal and Girardi were 22 and 24 years old respectively when Tortorella became coach. Don't be ignorant and naive because you have a vendetta against Tortorella. That year when Torts took over in february, Girardi was a -14. In the following years his +/-, PIM, and TOI all have improved/increased while Torts has been the coach. It's not Renney's coaching, it is Torts. And if anything being given extra 3-5 min of TOI in the following years would allow more time for his +/- and PIM to be affected in a negative manner, however, it has not. Both players have improved significantly while Torts has been the coach. You want to call me a thug for criticizing your mindless anger towards Torts, fine be that way. Not going to bother me. Just provided you with FACTS. Not to mention, you had nothing to say in regards to McDonagh and Del Zotto's development. No we decided to ignore that part because it deters your hate and criticism for Torts. And again...Henrik is your star goalie. I don't care what he makes, that is irrelevant. It is a 48 game shortened season. No one is saying he should play all 48 (because he obviously won't with Biron having started a few games) but he will be fine. He didn't even play during the lockout. How much rest do you want to give the guy? He has played great lately. The goals that happened last night were not his fault. They weren't Torts' fault either. They were the team's fault because the team went in and played awful Girardi got caught a little flat footed on the Vanek goal and the team never recovered/responded. Get out of here with your hate. You want to dislike the guy that's fine. But at least bring substance to the table, not just your blatant opinion of hate and disregard for facts.

This more laughable than anything. Fotiu hasn't coached in years. You say he hasn't been given a chance, well why haven't 30 organizations given him a chance? Think before you speak. The AHL coaches that are given chances without NHL coaching experience tend to be the younger ones in today's game. And maybe Fotiu just didn't want to coach in the NHL. But even so, to suggest a coach who has been out of the game and to base it on purely PP success is shameful. It is ignorant.


Don't act like the coaching staff had no hand in McDonagh's development. Please don't be that naive around here. They even had him start in the AHL. He is going through growing pains right now. Part of coaching his recognition and management. Things Torts has exemplified well with his defense.
Solid freaking post.

Callagraves is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 04:17 PM
  #663
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Get personal with you? Because it is widely known that you like Avery and players like him? Don't start attacking other posters and questioning their knowledge of hockey when you are a fan that enjoys the fighting aspect of the game, which is an aspect that is not important to playing the game of hockey. Staal and Girardi were 22 and 24 years old respectively when Tortorella became coach. Don't be ignorant and naive because you have a vendetta against Tortorella. That year when Torts took over in february, Girardi was a -14. In the following years his +/-, PIM, and TOI all have improved/increased while Torts has been the coach. It's not Renney's coaching, it is Torts. And if anything being given extra 3-5 min of TOI in the following years would allow more time for his +/- and PIM to be affected in a negative manner, however, it has not. Both players have improved significantly while Torts has been the coach. You want to call me a thug for criticizing your mindless anger towards Torts, fine be that way. Not going to bother me. Just provided you with FACTS. Not to mention, you had nothing to say in regards to McDonagh and Del Zotto's development. No we decided to ignore that part because it deters your hate and criticism for Torts. And again...Henrik is your star goalie. I don't care what he makes, that is irrelevant. It is a 48 game shortened season. No one is saying he should play all 48 (because he obviously won't with Biron having started a few games) but he will be fine. He didn't even play during the lockout. How much rest do you want to give the guy? He has played great lately. The goals that happened last night were not his fault. They weren't Torts' fault either. They were the team's fault because the team went in and played awful Girardi got caught a little flat footed on the Vanek goal and the team never recovered/responded. Get out of here with your hate. You want to dislike the guy that's fine. But at least bring substance to the table, not just your blatant opinion of hate and disregard for facts.

This more laughable than anything. Fotiu hasn't coached in years. You say he hasn't been given a chance, well why haven't 30 organizations given him a chance? Think before you speak. The AHL coaches that are given chances without NHL coaching experience tend to be the younger ones in today's game. And maybe Fotiu just didn't want to coach in the NHL. But even so, to suggest a coach who has been out of the game and to base it on purely PP success is shameful. It is ignorant.


Don't act like the coaching staff had no hand in McDonagh's development. Please don't be that naive around here. They even had him start in the AHL. He is going through growing pains right now. Part of coaching his recognition and management. Things Torts has exemplified well with his defense.
Agree 100%. It's always weird to read when Torts-haters start trying to criticize him on things that he's obviously been good with. Torts can't develop young talent? Tampa would beg to differ, so would like half our roster. Anton Stralman owes his career to Torts right now.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 05:00 PM
  #664
Richter Scale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Unless you're Gainey's therapist you're entirely out of your element trying to claim some traumatic event caused him to make a hockey trade. He was a NHL GM who made a deal that bit him in the ass while helping us a ton. Stop playing doctor, and ***** credit and blame where they clearly go. You make the rest of your arguments look bad by trying so hard to discredit an obvious good.
I don't think its hard to understand the point Sting is making. Neither of you know what was going on in Gainey's head, so this part of the argument is dumb.

Sather didn't exactly make the Gomez deal thinking, "Damn, I'll sign Gomez and then two years later I'll trade him for McDonagh. And that guy, he's going to be a beast on defense, oh yes this will be great."

Gimme a break. Objectively the Gomez contract was one of the most idiotic things Sather has done in the past decade. Just because he got lucky and was able to turn a turd into gold doesn't mean the Gomez deal in and of itself was a good deal.

Richter Scale is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 05:20 PM
  #665
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter Scale View Post
I don't think its hard to understand the point Sting is making. Neither of you know what was going on in Gainey's head, so this part of the argument is dumb.

Sather didn't exactly make the Gomez deal thinking, "Damn, I'll sign Gomez and then two years later I'll trade him for McDonagh. And that guy, he's going to be a beast on defense, oh yes this will be great."

Gimme a break. Objectively the Gomez contract was one of the most idiotic things Sather has done in the past decade. Just because he got lucky and was able to turn a turd into gold doesn't mean the Gomez deal in and of itself was a good deal.
Sting's Gainey was mentally unstable, literally, argument is patently offensive. He had no business ever making it, it's a disgusting claim. And simply absurd. Nothing else to say about it, don't try to justify it.

Sather got 70 and 58 pts out of his two years of Gomez. A lot of you don't realize, he fell off a cliff right after we dealt him. Sather did a good job getting out before it happened. So good that we got McD in it. Give credit where it's due.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 05:41 PM
  #666
Richter Scale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Sting's Gainey was mentally unstable, literally, argument is patently offensive. He had no business ever making it, it's a disgusting claim. And simply absurd. Nothing else to say about it, don't try to justify it.

Sather got 70 and 58 pts out of his two years of Gomez. A lot of you don't realize, he fell off a cliff right after we dealt him. Sather did a good job getting out before it happened. So good that we got McD in it. Give credit where it's due.
I'm not talking about the McDonagh deal, and neither is Sting. I don't think anyone would contest that that was a good outcome for us.

The GOMEZ deal was one of the dumbest moves Sather has made. It seems like you're actually saying the Gomez deal wasn't that bad -- you cite the point production as if that is all that matters and look at it in a vacuum. Gomez was not a good fit on the Rangers, he was already starting to look like he might be headed toward a downward trend before Sather picked him up, his point production was inflated by the role he played on the Devils, and he was being asked to fill a role that anyone who watched him play knew he probably couldn't. He had ONE breakout season two years prior to the signing and that was it - aside from that, he hadn't broken 15 goals in a season with the Devils once. You realize that with the contract Sather gave him, Gomez was making ~$7.5 million a year, right? Would you say he was worth that, even if he had been able to keep up a 70 pt pace (16 goals per year)? I am by no means a fan of Gaborik being here, but by defending the Gomez contract you're basically saying he was of equal value to Gaborik (also ~$7.5 mil per year). And even though I don't like Gaborik, I know that that is just a ridiculous position to hold. Gomez: 16 goals per season, 70 pts once. Gabby: multiple 40 goal seasons and consistently a ppg or more producer. Yea, great deal.

It worked out in the end because we got McD; but that doesn't mean that the original GOMEZ deal was a good one. This is not hard to understand.


Last edited by Richter Scale: 03-13-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Richter Scale is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 06:27 PM
  #667
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Unless you're Gainey's therapist you're entirely out of your element trying to claim some traumatic event caused him to make a hockey trade. He was a NHL GM who made a deal that bit him in the ass while helping us a ton. Stop playing doctor, and ***** credit and blame where they clearly go. You make the rest of your arguments look bad by trying so hard to discredit an obvious good.
Besides the fact that Gainey did a tremendous job building a Stanley Cup champion in Dallas, the move was extremely out of character, and it happened around the same time that he signed a bunch of free agents to questionable contracts. There wasn't a single trade made during his Canadiens tenure that was anywhere near as bad. It also happened around the same time as a ton of reports were being printed and discussed on radio in Montreal regarding pressure on Gainey from team management to acquire a center. Gainey resigned for personal reasons just a few months later.

Sorry, but I'm not praising Sather for being lucky enough to be in that spot. I'm certainly not going to try and use that absurd chance event to try and give him a pass on the Gomez contract, which, again, is probably the 2nd or 3rd worst free agent contract in NHL history.

Quote:
And we would have won every game had we won every game and had the first perfect season in NHL history. Lets get out of hypothetical land, shall we?
You said that had the Gomez deal not happened, the Rangers would have beenin more or less the same position that they are today. You said that, not me. That's obviously not the case, unless you believe that Gomez AND Redden would both have been buried in the minors and they would have magically acquired someone just as good, young, and cheap as McDonagh.

This is one instance where you don't address my point. Numerous others follow.

Quote:
Dude, are you saying you know me better than I know myself? Because honestly that would be a little creepy. I still say I've never said that, but if you can prove you know me better than I do then do it already.
Not really, as I clearly stated that that wasn't the point. The point was Drury being a terrible signing made as a result of total failure to evaluate talent, manage a budget, or construct a sensible roster.

Quote:
You look at results, I'll look at process. In the long run I'll have more success than you because while not all the time, but most of the time good process leads to good results. Good results in and of themselves, without good process, is usually short-lived and unsustainable. Not only that, but it usually leads to significant failures. You chase good results, you'll be chasing the past. You have good process and you'll have a good future.
First of all, this "good process" argument is ludicrous, since good results are generated BY good process. Second of all, how are Gomez/Redden/Drury and some of those other moves good process? Those moves all happened POST-LOCKOUT, by the way. If there was good process, then there would be good results. So far, it has taken seven years to get ONE year of good results, and even that one year of good results has produced a tenuous situation with a number of caveats that will have to be dealt with, and dealt with soon. We'll see what happens going forward, but I don't see much "good process" from 2006-2010. I see improved drafting happening along side some of the worst managerial decisions in league history.

What I see is a guy that has every possible advantage over the vast majority of his peers (not the least of which is the lack of pressure in terms of time and accountability), yet has achieved no more than any of them, and much less than some of them.

Quote:
Brian Burke in Toronto? I think this is a silly game anyway. First of all once again you're going back to pre-lockout which I don't ****ing want to do. I don't know how many times I have to say that before you accept it. I will not defend pre-lockout sather. Again, post-lockout sather has had great process.
I don't have to talk about pre-lockout Sather, because some of the worst moves Sather ever made happened post-lockout. Gomez, Redden, Drury are just as bad, if not worse, than the worst moves he ever made pre-lockout.

Quote:
And how was last season "mediocrity"? First in the east, tied for second in the league. What, is there only 1 elite team per year? What a joke. And we made the conference finals, only 3 other teams in the league did that. Winning championships is hard. New Yorkers have been spoiled by the yankees.
I never said that last season mediocre. I said it was the only season since the lockout that hasn't been. Of course, it took 7 years to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Sting's Gainey was mentally unstable, literally, argument is patently offensive. He had no business ever making it, it's a disgusting claim. And simply absurd. Nothing else to say about it, don't try to justify it.
You want to see offensive? You want to see disgusting, absurd, and insulting? Take a look at the following claim you made about Gomez.

Quote:
Sather got 70 and 58 pts out of his two years of Gomez. A lot of you don't realize, he fell off a cliff right after we dealt him. Sather did a good job getting out before it happened. So good that we got McD in it. Give credit where it's due.
A lot of US don't realize? Are you ****ing kidding me? He was never on the cliff to begin with!

You think those were acceptable seasons for a $7.5 million cap hit? That 70 point season, probably the most inefficient 70 point season in NHL history? You think it's acceptable for a $7.5 million player who can't shoot for his life, a guy with one 20 goal season in a ten year career, to average 3.5 shots per game? The absolutely idiotic notion that Scott Gomez was a first line center that would be a good fit to play with Jaromir Jagr could only be conceived by someone that is utterly incompetent on every imaginable level. It's a conclusion that could be reached only by the same person that is so completely out of their element as to assume that Chris Drury scoring 37 goals in Buffalo was a result achieved largely by Drury himself, or that Wade Redden circa 2008 was anything more than a borderline NHLer. It's like assuming anything other than "wow, under no circumstances would I ever want this total liability on my team" about Ales Kotalik. Oh, wait . . .

Those two seasons with Gomez were a disgrace. That was some of the worst, most disgusting hockey ever played at Madison Square Garden, and Scott Gomez's performance during those two seasons was absolutely horrendous. The team was horrendous, and if it wasn't for Henrik Lundqvist, would have been one of the worst teams in the league. 25th and 28th in the league in goals per game, in very large part due to the play of Gomez. Having to pay rising ticket prices to watch that garbage, now that was offensive. If the pre-lockout Ranger teams had had a goalie the caliber of Henrik Lundqvist, they would have been more successful than the 2007-10 Rangers. They were certainly more tolerable to watch.

NYR Sting is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 06:50 PM
  #668
SaveByLundqvist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
I'm just pissed with the way he spoke to Sam Rosen in the press conference after the Sabres game. Sam is loved by the Rangers and the fans, wake up Torts.

SaveByLundqvist is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 08:17 PM
  #669
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveByLundqvist View Post
I'm just pissed with the way he spoke to Sam Rosen in the press conference after the Sabres game. Sam is loved by the Rangers and the fans, wake up Torts.
anyone have the video/audio of this? I missed it.

stan the caddy is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 10:25 PM
  #670
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
tell me what did Torts do? yes since 2005 I agree it has been a while no arguement there. I want the Rangers to be normal. Why do the Rangers only have 2 coaches behind the bench? cause Torts said so. Why don't the Rangers have PP guy running the unit like every other team? cause torts said so!!! what is he stone cold Johny Torts. Cause that the bottom line cause Torts Said SO !!!!
Last year's team was first in the east. Remember that? Just short of the President's trophy, 50+ wins for the third time in the entire history of the Rangers franchise, made it to the ECF...

What did Torts do? Last year he did pretty much everything but win a cup with this team.

Not to mention in over his career he won a Jack Adams and a Cup and earned the most wins of any American coach in the game.

There are tons of legitimate complaints to make against the guy. Saying the guy hasn't accomplished anything while he's accomplished almost everything is just silly. The hyperbole is getting really, really old.

haveandare is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 10:45 PM
  #671
mattyd99
Registered User
 
mattyd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Warwick, NY
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveByLundqvist View Post
I'm just pissed with the way he spoke to Sam Rosen in the press conference after the Sabres game. Sam is loved by the Rangers and the fans, wake up Torts.
His whole press conference shtick is old and stale. Answer the questions like a man and act like a man. Instead he acts like an immature sarcastic bullyish teenager. Complete opposite of what he asks his players.

mattyd99 is offline  
Old
03-13-2013, 11:03 PM
  #672
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyd99 View Post
His whole press conference shtick is old and stale. Answer the questions like a man and act like a man. Instead he acts like an immature sarcastic bullyish teenager. Complete opposite of what he asks his players.
Oh please this ******** has gone on long enough from the hate torts crowd. You want him to go up an coachspeak, seemingly answering questions while really saying nothing? Yeah, those are great to watch. I love it when they pretend to answer questions but really say nothing. Torts tells you what's on his mind, and if he doesn't want to then at least he's a man and tells you to your face instead of rattling on about nothing just hoping either the reporters will be so bored or try to be so polite that they don't bother pushing him harder for follow up.

Edit: Also, who the **** wants to fire a coach because of how he talks to the media? Some of you need to get your priorities straight.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 02:23 AM
  #673
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Oh please this ******** has gone on long enough from the hate torts crowd. You want him to go up an coachspeak, seemingly answering questions while really saying nothing? Yeah, those are great to watch. I love it when they pretend to answer questions but really say nothing. Torts tells you what's on his mind, and if he doesn't want to then at least he's a man and tells you to your face instead of rattling on about nothing just hoping either the reporters will be so bored or try to be so polite that they don't bother pushing him harder for follow up.
So, we should give him props for snapping at the voice of the Rangers?

Listen, if he doesn't want to say anything than have him not come out for the interviews, and let's not pretend every single question that was lobbed his way was borderline idiotic or something similar in vain to what Brooks would ask.

The team started off like ****, the PP was in disarray, and I'm supposed to give him brownie points just for the sole fact he is the coach of the Rangers, and I should vilify a reporter because he had the audacity to ask why the team is under performing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Edit: Also, who the **** wants to fire a coach because of how he talks to the media? Some of you need to get your priorities straight.
That, him constantly juggling the lines, putting players all over the place (1st, 2nd, 3rd lines), not allowing our talented players to play to their strengths, inconsistency with punishing players who play bad. I would have said PP but after being 30th for a while, 22nd doesn't seem that bad.

ImIdaho is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 05:45 AM
  #674
The Mouth
Registered User
 
The Mouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 857
vCash: 500
Sam's tone always sounds like he's talking at a funeral or wake when he's interviewing Torts post game. I mean Sam's a total hack but Torts should respect his elders.

The Mouth is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 05:57 AM
  #675
mattyd99
Registered User
 
mattyd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Warwick, NY
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Oh please this ******** has gone on long enough from the hate torts crowd. You want him to go up an coachspeak, seemingly answering questions while really saying nothing? Yeah, those are great to watch. I love it when they pretend to answer questions but really say nothing. Torts tells you what's on his mind, and if he doesn't want to then at least he's a man and tells you to your face instead of rattling on about nothing just hoping either the reporters will be so bored or try to be so polite that they don't bother pushing him harder for follow up.

Edit: Also, who the **** wants to fire a coach because of how he talks to the media? Some of you need to get your priorities straight.
I want him to not act like a total ******. This the same guy who benched Avery for being one and then gets suspended the game after for acting like one. He demands his players play with respect and then shows no respect to reporters, who are doing there job.

And I don't like Torts for a million other reasons. This is one of them in the line of my priorities.

mattyd99 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.