HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Sens

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 09:30 PM
SirBrad

vCash: 500
- TK who is becoming as useless as **** on a bull.

Only 8:39 of ice time tonight, too. Not a $2 million player by any means.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Jax1166

Honest question, was that a dirty, intentional play by Matt Cooke or more like Hedman, a clean play?

Old
02-13-2013, 09:32 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

+Darren Dreger basically just saying, "this is the year Jarome Iginla gets traded" on TSN

Old
02-13-2013, 09:33 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
Honest question, was that a dirty, intentional play by Matt Cooke or more like Hedman, a clean play?
Unintentional and accidental. At worst, careless.

29 other fan bases would probably give you a different answer based on the fact that it was Matt Cooke.

Old
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I don't care for Matt Cooke anymore. When he hit Marc Savard, he was one of the biggest impact players on this team. He was well worth defending and fighting for. Now? I could care less. You know why everybody here wants Cal Clutterbuck? Because we don't have Matt Cooke anymore...the guy who helped us win the Cup. This pansification version of Matt Cooke can leave via UFA this summer. I won't no part of him any longer.
That's very unreasonable IMO. Cooke is still a physical player, one of our most physical actually. He is still a very good penalty killer. He had the second most productive season of his career last year with a career high in goals, and he is very versatile.

Old
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
+Darren Dreger basically just saying, "this is the year Jarome Iginla gets traded" on TSN
But not here for the asking price Flames will be wanting.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:34 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
When is the deadline this year?

Old
02-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Pancakes

Not seeing a lot of talk about the powerplay configuration with Martin and Letang on the points.

I liked it and hope we keep rolling with it.

Old
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

TSN just ran a bunch of replays of very similar plays. Calling it a hockey play.

Old
roready
Brink, Truth, Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
If you watch the replay. Cooke's head was actually turned back away from Karlson when his skate came down on Karlson's foot. I'm not sure Cooke could fit his blade in between there without looking even if he tried a few times.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:36 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
April 3rd

Old
02-13-2013, 09:36 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
April 3rd i think? still a LONG ways away.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:37 PM
vodeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
That's very unreasonable IMO. Cooke is still a physical player, one of our most physical actually. He is still a very good penalty killer. He had the second most productive season of his career last year with a career high in goals, and he is very versatile.
...and his knack for screening the opposing goalie is very much untapped, he should have advantage over Kunitz on the PP (now a moot point I guess with two defenders up one of which will never ever grow into the role we all hope it might)

Old
02-13-2013, 09:38 PM
roready
Brink, Truth, Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Not seeing a lot of talk about the powerplay configuration with Martin and Letang on the points.

I like it too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roready View Post
++++ to get the right people on the PowerPlay
(Malkin, Crosby, Neal and Martin, Letang)

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
+ Cooke is the best wing Geno and Neal have had all year. I feel like I called that months ago
Really got to give props to Dan Bylsma for thinking outside the box on this one. Put a guy like Cooke, who can lead a forecheck and goes to the net, out there with Geno and Neal, so that Geno and Neal could play to their respective strengths as playmaker and sniper (searching for soft spots). That's why he's the best coach in hockey.

Old
Jaded-Fan

Let em vent.

I have seen far more stupid things said about our players and us on the main board with far less justification for irrational venting.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:39 PM
vodeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post

sounds good as an idea, only if Letang can do what we hope he can do,

Old
02-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Unintentional and accidental. At worst, careless.

29 other fan bases would probably give you a different answer based on the fact that it was Matt Cooke.
Not just matt cooke but any player on the penguins. We are thought to be one of the most whining fanbases/bandwagoning fanbases in the league which isnt hard to believe just by looking at the posters on the league so i wouldnt be surprised at people saying crosby should be injured again or matt cooke not being allowed to being played again. I may not have been a hockey fan and pittsburgh fan so my opinions arent so important but one thing i know for sure is that i will be a fan of this team for a long long time, even after all our stars leave and we finish in the bottom of the league.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:40 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Plus

+ Joe Victory: Gotta love what he brings to the ice. I really feel he's a guy that should never be out of the line up unless it's to heal a couple bruises. He just adds so much for only going a couple minutes per game.

+ Neal's release: Thing of beauttttttty. Snipe city. Gotta just love James Neal and his knack for goal scoring. He does his thing, man. He just scores goals.

+ Crosby/Malkin: Still not perfect, but I felt we got our jump because they were on fire early. Sid over-passes, but he had a good jump and that pass was beautiful. Also thought he was a monster in the faceoff dot (no stats). Geno was more noticeable. I thought Geno has great jump right now. Surprised he isn't scoring more.

+ Dan Bylsma: Not for schematic changes, but that was a great idea to move Cooke to L2 and Boychuk back. Boychuk was invisible. Cooke was struggling without Staal. It was a damn good move and Cooke instantly got much better.

+ Effort: Effort was definitely there tonight. Spazzed out for sure - but there. I loved the hustle, but didn't love the play.

Even

Fleury: I know... it can be frustrating when he lets in softies. It really can be. But you cannot deny his big saves in this game. It was just one of those days for #29.

Paul Martin: He finally had a bad game. It happens. I'm not going to ***** or complain. He took 3 penalties and let some guys around him. He's been outstanding all season so I can't say anything. He also made some great plays on the powerplay to get us 2 goals. Can't say anything too bad, eh?

Minus

- Our Style: I really don't like how the Pens are playing hockey right now. They go on runs because they have so much freaking talent, but then they make hockey look just as bad when they play against a decent structure. So what we try to do is just simply out-skill teams? That's not going to do anything in the postseason. We completely spazz out all over the place instead of just playing a team game.

This isn't blaming coaching or anything. I just really hate the way this team tries to win hockey games. We need to play a team game... not just rely on skill.

And JadedFan hit it on the head in the GDT. We just don't win battles anymore. I blame the next category (puck support) but what do you think?

- Puck support: Where is it? We are soooooo far away from one another when trying to make passes. It's just so disheartening to see this team play that style. They need to support one another with short chips/passes and they can use their skill that way. There needs to be puck support. I'm going to harp on it until we figure it out. Just watch how we broke out in 2009. We had 5-6 feet chips/passes and went flying. We made smart concise decisions. Just pause your television when we are attempting to stretch it in the neutral. We are so far away from one another.

- Team Anger Management: I kind of missed Bort/Engo out there together being angry souls. I know Nisky/Letang (who struggled on their game back) are great to have in the line up, but I did miss that rugged play by Bort/Engo. I couldn't even take Despres out of the line up because he's playing well, too. Tough decisions every night for our coach.

-Injuries: Hate seeing a guy like Karlsson get injured. Period. Really hate hearing what happened.

- Letang/Nisky: Both guys looked uncomfortable in their game back. I'm sure it happens. Nisky really struggled stepping up and hitting.

- Chris Neil: You are a *****. Such a *****. You wouldn't go with Engo so you just jump Cooke? Come on, man. That's not hockey.
These three things can not be emphasized enough. I felt-- again-- like I was watching the early April 2012 Penguins tonight.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:41 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 View Post
I think we'll be seeing Beau Bennett Friday.
Hope so . . .

Old
02-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Bjindaho

- to Bylsma's misuse of his D

It's great that Martin and Orpik need to play a lot (and deservedly so), but instead of easing Letang and Niskanen in, he crammed the minutes on them. At some point, sticking Simon out there and giving one a breather would have been a smarter idea (like when they rolled 4 D for almost the entire final 10 minutes).

Old
02-13-2013, 09:43 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
These three things can not be emphasized enough. I felt-- again-- like I was watching the early April 2012 Penguins tonight.
Somehow Bylsma has ****ed this team. How you can screw a team with this much talent up so bad? i have no idea. I guess you got to suck that bad at coaching.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Cole; if it qualifies as a great decision to put Cooke with Malkin.... then I have to offer my employees plaques every morning for meeting on time.
He took 19 periods to test something that was never going to work, and with a guy there with the right characteristics for the lines needs, suddenly they had offensive zone time on almost every shift and were really dangerous. It boggles the mind that compatibility is a word Bylsma just... doesn't... know.

- Karlsson injury. Don't think for a second that it was intentional of course, but it just looks bad because it is such an unnatural move from Cooke. Sad to lose one of the most exciting players in the league like that.

- our breakouts. I will keep saying it win or lose. Everyone knows what we're going to do, and we create virtually no chances unless we're on the PP or turns the play in the neutral zone. It is ugly to watch. Simple as.

- Kennedy. Meaninglessly bad game.

+ Despres. Everything we want.
+ Boychuk. Didn't see the first period, but on the third line he was just like Chris Conner at his best. Weak on the boards, but I'll take that.
+ Vitale. Excellent.
+ Neal. Quietly having a very good season.
+ Crosby had a very nice alround game.
+ Martin. A couple of penalties yeah, but along with Despres the only one of our defenders in this game who made smart outlets consistently, and he added some very much heads up plays when he had his assists. I really like Martin's game this season.

= Geno had a pretty good alround game except for faceoffs, but he needs to start scoring.Too many missed shots.

The rest had good and bad mixed in, I thought.

+ a win. But with no Spezza, Michalek and Karlsson leaving the game.... we had to get that.
I really resent that attack on the coaching. I thought the Cooke move was the type of outside the box, inspired move that makes Dan Bylsma one of the top five bench bosses in hockey.

And, as for the breakout, ever think there's some reverse psychology at play there. If they know what we're going to do and we know that they know, maybe we're figuring that they know that we know that they know and we go with the same **** again and again and again because we eventually figure they'll defend us differently on the grounds that nobody can be that predictable.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Hope so . . .
Don't know if you saw this or not earlier.

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib
Beau Bennett is in Pittsburgh tonight to get addressed by doctors. I asked Shero if he is staying here for good. Didn't say yes or no.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
TSN just ran a bunch of replays of very similar plays. Calling it a hockey play.
Won't matter. Jesus Christ himself could write on a stone tablet that it was an unfortunate accident and everyone else would still think Cooke did it on purpose based on his reputation. He earned that reputation and now he has to live with it, for better or for worse.

What does get old is fans of other teams squawking about how "Pens fans will stick up for him no matter what" and other nonsense. Cooke was crucified here a few seasons ago for all of his stupid shenanigans because it was costing the team. More than a few of us wanted to see him cut loose if he wasn't willing to reform. This idea that Pens fans blindly love and defend Matt Cooke is, quite frankly, complete ****. Most of us are defending him on this play because it was, in all probability, actually an accident.

Closed Thread