HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Anyone else hate the behind-the-net camera angle on PP's?

Old
02-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Hynh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post

You can see the whole play very clearly. The problem is when the guy controlling the camera pans way over to one side and tries to keep the puck in the middle of the shot instead of letting the whole play fill the screen. The angle, itself, is awesome; it's the production that's sometimes a problem for you.
Except for the fact that it hides the area in front of the goalie, the place where the puck normally goes.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Fairweather

Quote:
So, again, it's a matter of the way the camera is used, not a matter of the angle.
And I only said your example was a bad one. I'd like to see an example of that angle from higher up.

Fairweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:05 PM
mikitas donut
The Hammer!

I like it BECAUSE I play hockey.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Hate it. It cuts off too much of the ice whenever the puck isn't exactly centered and/or out near the blue line - in other words, most of the time. It also is like sitting in the end zone at a football game - depth perception is affected the further away the puck is.

I'm curious what percentage of people who like it have grown up playing hockey video games and just being used to that view.
I don't play video games at all. But from the time my dad used to take me to games as a kid we used to try and sit in the corners or behind the goal. Admittedly on TV they cut you off some times, but watching a game from that angle and perspective is the best. Notice in the example above how Elliot can be seen trying to maintain his position while looking around the screen. That's good stuff you can't see from the side view. As well as whether lanes are open or not and players scrambling to cover or exploit lanes. You do need some height though to get good perspective. Lower bowl seats too close to the glass lose all perspective.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:25 PM
MSPGabe
Born & Bred In Maine

How about cameras mounted under the Jumbotron pointing towards the offensive zone?

I have never seen it live, so I dunno how it would be. It's high/far enough that it should be decent...

MSPGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:25 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I love that angle.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:31 PM
CoopALoop

I'd pay to see watch every game from that angle. Just having the ability to toggle between ends.

Oh man, tis would be sweeeet.

You really get a better understanding of how fast the play is. With the elevated side angle, the perspective makes it seem like play is going alot slower than it really is.

The second it switches to the behind the net cam, you really get a good idea of how fast/skilled these guys are.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:34 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:

Yeah, I wish they'd go full NFL and have a camera at this angle on wires that could follow the play at full speed up and down the ice, from both ends too.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:42 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Hate it. Watching hockey, I want to get a sense of the speed of the game. That angle craps all over that.

Last edited by Howboutthempanthers: 02-13-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Man Bear Pig

I've always loved it and wished they did it more. Much closer to the action. It would be neat if they could do something like what the NFL does and have a camera on a line/wire that can move up and down the ice.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Harley

Hate it. Might be better if I was the one changing the camera positions myself.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:54 PM
CanadaIsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
I ****ing love that angle to be honest.

Maybe it has something to do with being a goalie myself so I love seeing how fast and accurate the puck is being moved from the goalie's perspective (well.. almost his perspective)
This.
I love this angle. You see everything and can anticipate plays very easily. Every time there is a PP, I always hope they switch to that angle.

CanadaIsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:06 AM
Phil Connors*

Love it.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:07 AM
kihei

vCash: 4500
Love it. Wish they did it more.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:11 AM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I don't play video games at all. But from the time my dad used to take me to games as a kid we used to try and sit in the corners or behind the goal. Admittedly on TV they cut you off some times, but watching a game from that angle and perspective is the best. Notice in the example above how Elliot can be seen trying to maintain his position while looking around the screen. That's good stuff you can't see from the side view. As well as whether lanes are open or not and players scrambling to cover or exploit lanes. You do need some height though to get good perspective. Lower bowl seats too close to the glass lose all perspective.
That's where the camera is though. I'm not saying its a bad place to see the game from, I just can't stand the camera effects, and find it jarring when they switch off that view when the puck winds up on the boards where you can't see what's going on. To each their own, I prefer the side view from higher up at mid ice personally. Also, I find a panning fisheye lens to be nausea inducing.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:07 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
That's where the camera is though. I'm not saying its a bad place to see the game from, I just can't stand the camera effects, and find it jarring when they switch off that view when the puck winds up on the boards where you can't see what's going on. To each their own, I prefer the side view from higher up at mid ice personally. Also, I find a panning fisheye lens to be nausea inducing.
Well, for sure in person beats any camera view. But the biggest problem with cameras anywhere are them being subject to a director/producer understanding the game and allowing for a wide enough angle to see most all of the action, including away from the puck. They don't usually do that. And you're right, when the puck gets lost and they start changing cameras or even focusing in too close they can really screw it all up. I want to see as much of the ice as I can to see where everybody is and what is going on away from the puck.

I suppose my favorite place to sit would be club level somewhere behind the goal line. But I pretty much sit where I find the best deal on tickets.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:44 AM
TTOMO

I've liked this camera angle for years.

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:44 AM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

I personally love it and wish they'd do more of it. I love watching a team's strategy and watching guys sneaking in and out of the dirty scoring areas. It's one of my favorite innovations in hockey production coverage in some time.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:25 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroonk2002 View Post
I hate it. It is too close to the ice. You only see one half/side of the offensive zone.

I like to see the entire offensive zone. To see who is open, to anticipate where the pass might be going, to observe how the entire PK is spread out, etc.

Side angles, please.
I have no idea what you are talking about. All the times I have seen this angle, we get to see the quasi-totality of the Offensive-zone

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:32 AM
PricePkPatch

As for the camera angle itself; maybe it's the critical geopolitician in me talking, but this angle really puts us IN the play. It gives us a perspectivist view of the game, instead of the traditional "remote omniscient observer" we usually are exposed to.

It allows us to better understand the situation the players are, since we are much closer from THEIR point of view. I hate some people pointing out to "play X was stupid" when they use their complete perspective of the rink to judge; players don't have access to that perspective.

I would love it if, like previously mentionned, we could get access to a permanent feed of this angle. Also, It would be neat if there was a camera aimed at the same angle, but starting from over the blueline (so you get the perspective of the team on the Power Play). It would do wonder to make you feel "part of the game"

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:02 AM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
I can almost guarantee that anyone who has ever played goalie, or currently plays the position loves the camera view. I personally love it. It allows for more emphasis to be placed on power plays that move around quite a bit, and for a goalie like myself, it's a lot of fun to watch it move. It also creates for a much more nerve racking atmosphere IMO.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:15 AM
revolverjgw

Every puck put on the net looks dangerous as hell from that angle, nerve wracking to watch. I like it but only as an occasional change of pace.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:37 AM
bp spec

vCash: 50
I love that angle to be honest.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:56 AM
JinzoBlaze

I like it only when my team is on the PP. Hate it when they show it for the opposing team. Makes me nervous seeing all that net and the gaps for the other guys to shoot at.

JinzoBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:58 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroonk2002 View Post
I hate it. It is too close to the ice. You only see one half/side of the offensive zone.

I like to see the entire offensive zone. To see who is open, to anticipate where the pass might be going, to observe how the entire PK is spread out, etc.

Side angles, please.
You are not alone. I hate how they are constantly changing the camera angle. Makes me think the director/producer (whoever controls which camera is being used) has a serious case of ADD. I like the classic side view, and use the other cameras for replays.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote