HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ian Cole to Philadelphia

Old
02-14-2013, 11:46 PM
SchennSational1022*

vCash: 500
Ian Cole to Philadelphia

What would it take? I feel he would be a great fit for our blueline.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:18 AM
sh724

It would take the Blues a center so Steen can go back to wing and than we would have to get another defensman to replace Cole. Unless either multiple assets are being moved by both teams or the Blues make a deal bringing in a defensman first I do not see the Blues trading Cole

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:55 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
What would it take? I feel he would be a great fit for our blueline.
A young Ken Linseman and we will throw in Jaden Schwartz...

We already went through this...You don't want to part with one of your young centers.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
A young Ken Linseman and we will throw in Jaden Schwartz...

We already went through this...You don't want to part with one of your young centers.
Not for Ian Cole.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:03 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
You don't want to part with one of your young centers.
Scott Laughton or Nick Cousins are young centers.

Laughton is actually NHL ready and the other leads the OHL in production.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:14 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Scott Laughton or Nick Cousins are young centers.

Laughton is actually NHL ready and the other leads the OHL in production.
I would do Laughton for Cole. I liked him in the draft. I better duck though...here come the nay sayers....ha ha.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:15 AM
JustJim

If Cousins and Laughton are doing so well....

why the hell aren't they on the Flyers NOW? I'm so tired of Holmgren using young players as trade bait each year. Holmgren needs to be traded instead!

JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:19 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I would do Laughton for Cole. I liked him in the draft. I better duck though...here come the nay sayers....ha ha.
I don't know if I'd jump on that. It's food for thought though. Both teams are dealing from a strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
why the hell aren't they on the Flyers NOW? I'm so tired of Holmgren using young players as trade bait each year. Holmgren needs to be traded instead!
Simple answers?

-Laughton was deemed unnecessary because they have so many centers. The organization decided to send him back for development and let McGinn play since we needed wingers during the early injury rush.

-Cousins is not necessarily NHL-ready yet, at least he has not had the opportunity to show whether he is or not yet.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Laughton could have stuck. It made good business and development sense to send him back to juniors and not burn a year of his ELC and give him more ice time.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:08 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I don't know if I'd jump on that. It's food for thought though. Both teams are dealing from a strength. .
We may need another piece in that puzzle.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:13 AM
The Nightman Cometh

Quote:
Giroux, Couturier, Schenn. There's three reasons. I'd rather them be down in the OHL playing top line minutes than be on the big club wasting an ELC season surrounded by Sestito and Rinaldo.

1865 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:12 AM
ExJbeck

Brayden Schenn for Cole? add picks to either side b/c Im not really sure about the value.

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:15 AM
SirPaste
#HitchGonnaHitch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJbeck View Post
Brayden Schenn for Cole? add picks to either side b/c Im not really sure about the value.
I was just about to come in here saying we cant move Cole unless a better dman is coming back in return. But i would make this deal 10 times out of 10

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Schenn has a good bit more trade value than Cole.

I'll just echo some of the other Blues fans here and say that we can't let Cole go. Our defense lack depth outside of the players we have in the lineup, and losing Cole and going with Redden-Petro isn't a good option.

We really need to get Hakanpää and Eronen/Lindbohm into the AHL next season.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
I do not think you need young centers on the Flyers in addition to the strength you already have at that position. I do agree that Holmgren is the problem in Philly. You guys have terrific scouts great players, and a very solid team, but I think a lot of the success of the team is in spite of Holmgren, rather than due to him.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
I do not think you need young centers on the Flyers in addition to the strength you already have at that position. I do agree that Holmgren is the problem in Philly. You guys have terrific scouts great players, and a very solid team, but I think a lot of the success of the team is in spite of Holmgren, rather than due to him.

He was the main reason the Flyers drafted Claude Giroux. He pulled off the Zhitnik for Coburn deal. He brought in Briere instead of Gomez or Drury. The Carter trade was a beauty. The Richards trade was good as well.

Really, the Flyers are just SOL because Pronger got hurt. If they have Pronger, they look totally different both now and going forward.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Thallis
#FREERATTIE

vCash: 499
Quote:
Blues would probably have to add at least a first there, but I'd still do it.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:25 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post

He was the main reason the Flyers drafted Claude Giroux. He pulled off the Zhitnik for Coburn deal. He brought in Briere instead of Gomez or Drury. The Carter trade was a beauty. The Richards trade was good as well.

Really, the Flyers are just SOL because Pronger got hurt. If they have Pronger, they look totally different both now and going forward.
He also brought in harts and kimmo. Homer isn't the problem it's the players execution on the ice and injuries.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:33 AM
SirPaste
#HitchGonnaHitch

vCash: 50
I think Homer is a good GM, he isnt afraid to make the bold controversial moves, I like that

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:42 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thallis View Post
Blues would probably have to add at least a first there, but I'd still do it.
The Schenns either exist in Philadelphia or are moved as a package from this point on. I don't see them being separated by trade unless the situation is drastic. On top of that, Brayden is our top scorer right now.

Honestly, Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier are as much off the table as Kevin Shattenkirk and Alex Pietrangelo. Think about what you would fork over for one of those two before you make a proposal for either of Philly's two young centers. Not saying that they're on the same level yet, but you should treat them in the same light. It won't be long before they're 22 and 23 year old terrors of the Atlantic (or whatever it will be called by then) just as Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo anchor the Blues' blueline. I can pretty much guarantee that.

That, however, does leave Laughton as the potential odd man out considering Schenn's success at center, McGinn's success on the wing, Cousins' potential, and Giroux's existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
I think Homer is a good GM, he isnt afraid to make the bold controversial moves, I like that
Holmgren is one of those guys whose reputation is much better outside of Philadelphia than it is inside. That's because a lot of Philadelphians, as proven by history, look at things one way, panic, and then start to form a mob mentality. Outsiders can generally see how good a GM Paul Holmgren actually is and what a devastating blow it would be to lose him.

Maybe he wouldn't be as great without the backing of Ed Snider and Bobby Clarke because with unlimited resources as a trio that really acts in unison to form one GM, Holmgren is allowed to make moves and be bold whereas other GMs cannot. In essence, the situation fits Holmgren perfectly, and he fits the situation. He has an eye for talent along with his scouts, he gets to be as bold as needed with the backing and blessing of Clarke and Snider, and Snider provides all the finances Holmgren could ever need to get the job done.

Last edited by CS: 02-15-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old
02-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post

Holmgren has done more to hurt the team than help it. Carter and Richards are such trouble makers that they won a Cup...in LA, though. Due to Holmgren not getting a goalie at the right time, Philly lost a Cup due to the single glaring weakness everyone knew they had that season: goaltending. All of his supposedly great and untouchable players get traded at the wrong time and for the wrong pieces. He is more reactionary than proactive and it has cost you guys at least one Cup. Philly was a team to be feared just a couple of years ago, they would scare the heck out of opponents who had to play them. Now they are a good team that can be beaten, they are no longer anything special, just a good middle-upper class team. The talent he gave away, and the return he got for that talent, has not managed to pan out, so far.

It is a shame for Philly fans, but makes me happier as a Habs fan. No offence meant, just my 2 cents.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:59 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

How would Philly fans feel about Cole + 1st Rd Pick for Brayden Schenn?

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:09 PM
SnS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
This Flyers fan would pass.

Props to Nemesis for the signature, and HC for the avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:13 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Holmgren has done more to hurt the team than help it. Carter and Richards are such trouble makers that they won a Cup...in LA, though. Due to Holmgren not getting a goalie at the right time, Philly lost a Cup due to the single glaring weakness everyone knew they had that season: goaltending. All of his supposedly great and untouchable players get traded at the wrong time and for the wrong pieces. He is more reactionary than proactive and it has cost you guys at least one Cup. Philly was a team to be feared just a couple of years ago, they would scare the heck out of opponents who had to play them. Now they are a good team that can be beaten, they are no longer anything special, just a good middle-upper class team. The talent he gave away, and the return he got for that talent, has not managed to pan out, so far.

It is a shame for Philly fans, but makes me happier as a Habs fan. No offence meant, just my 2 cents.
If anyone is reactionary it's Ed Snider. If you were from Philadelphia, you'd know this.

That's not a shot at you. Most people in general don't understand the impact Ed Snider has on the Flyers' front office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Like I said earlier. When making a package proposal for Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier, pretend like you're making a proposal for a younger Alex Pietrangelo or Kevin Shattenkirk. That's how they're viewed within the Flyers' organization and rightfully so.

If I offered Laughton + 1st for Pietrangelo you'd scoff it off as a joke.

Old
02-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:

Hindsight is 20/20. In 2009 Philly signed Ray Emery who played really well for them and then had a hip injury. Not much they could do mid-season to get a goalie. In 2010 they went after Nabokov who priced himself out of the market and ended up in Russia. In 2011 they signed Bryzgalov.

As far as Richards and Carter, I would do those trades again 100 times out of 100. I don't care that they won a Cup in LA. Holmgren took a 5 year window and turned it into a 10 year window with those trades.