HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Season Ticket numbers

Old
08-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Ohhh Franco

vCash: 500
Season Ticket numbers

With all of the chatter regarding Uncle Euge's financial situation swirling, I figured now would be a good time to put this out there:

How much are we to blame? If Im not mistaken, the Sens have the lowest ticket prices among the Canadian teams AND somehow have the lowest Season Ticket base. I know the city's largest employer cant purchase or receive tickets as a gift, so that obviously puts the team behind the eight ball. Euge and the organization clearly rely on the average Joe Blow fan more than any other...in all of pro sports? Probably.

I know gate revenue probably doesnt count for all that much in the grand scheme of things these days, but Sens fans need to do their part. Have we dropped the ball? If our Season Ticket base was somewhere around 15,375 (75% of CTC capacity), would we be discussing Euge/Sens finances?

Yost has been pumping the fact that Euge is bleeding the organization to fund other investments and ventures. Is it true? Who knows? Is the team profitable and in a good spot with the current Season Ticket base?

And yes, I know we're in top end of attendance, but how many are giveaways and freebies?

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 10:09 AM
BK201

I had season tickets the past 2 years. The lock out really pissed me off, I had a problem with my VIP benefits and couldn't redeem a game I tried calling my sales rep 6 times with no success so I gave up on that and never received my game.

Then in the playoffs I purchased the best seats in the house and I was called 8 days after purchase being told I have to surrender the seats that they do not owe me an explanation and put me in seats with a camera blocking one of the corners.When I went to the game I was 2 rows up from those seats and it was 2 teenagers sitting there. I assume somebody who is somebodies kids or something.

My sales rep did not care and did try to keep me as a season ticket holder. I was not rude to them.

I'm still a sens fan but I'm not going to spend my cash on season tickets right now.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Melnyks Mirage
Next year again...

vCash: 299
Well Fearles Leeder keeps saying that the team is "close to" 13,000 packages sold.
That would be the highest it's been since the 2007 Cup push basically.

Ottawa is a pretty darn tootin' good market. If the team delivers a good product people will 100% get behind it. If the team is trash they'll keep their money in their pockets. That is a completely reasonable way to act, if you keep throwing good money after bad you'll get bad and worse. The fans are doing their part to keep the team accountable and we get a fairly competitive team year in and year out.

It starts at the top. You spend we spend, you give us good product we give you good cash.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 10:14 AM
FuriousSenator

I've had similar experiences with the Sens administration.

I attended 1 argos game in Toronto a year ago, and 1 Montreal Impact game earlier that summer, and they STILL call me every few months to ask for my opinions on their services, stadium atmosphere, and to offer me all kinds of awesome deals on single game tickets/season tickets.

You gotta be hungry in the sports business world I tells ya.

FuriousSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 10:17 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
I had season tickets the past 2 years. The lock out really pissed me off, I had a problem with my VIP benefits and couldn't redeem a game I tried calling my sales rep 6 times with no success so I gave up on that and never received my game.

Then in the playoffs I purchased the best seats in the house and I was called 8 days after purchase being told I have to surrender the seats that they do not owe me an explanation and put me in seats with a camera blocking one of the corners.When I went to the game I was 2 rows up from those seats and it was 2 teenagers sitting there. I assume somebody who is somebodies kids or something.

My sales rep did not care and did try to keep me as a season ticket holder. I was not rude to them.

I'm still a sens fan but I'm not going to spend my cash on season tickets right now.
If I were you, I would call someone up at the Senators and demand another ticket agent. My agent is the most accommodating guy in the world. He's extremely helpful, calls within minutes of me calling him and has always provided with the best options available. Most of my friends who are STHs have the same positive things to say about their "guys".

Sounds like you got a dud.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
If I were you, I would call someone up at the Senators and demand another ticket agent. My agent is the most accommodating guy in the world. He's extremely helpful, calls within minutes of me calling him and has always provided with the best options available. Most of my friends who are STHs have the same positive things to say about their "guys".

Yep, I cant say anything but good things about my Rep and my experiences with the Sens admin people. I've had the same dude for about 5 years now. Zero complaints.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Smash88

vCash: 1000
I'm on my 4th year now of season tickets, I got an email a few days ago that said they were approaching their 13,000 goal and after talking to my ticket rep, he said they were about 2,000 away. So they are close, but yeah they could be higher.. A few deep playoff runs could push them right over the top and into the 14,s and 15's...

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Smash88

Quote:

Yeah same here, they have gone out of their way in accommodating me with certain things...

Although my rep is changing this year, so we will see if it's as good.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Melnyks Mirage
Next year again...

vCash: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
I've had similar experiences with the Sens administration.

I attended 1 argos game in Toronto a year ago, and 1 Montreal Impact game earlier that summer, and they STILL call me every few months to ask for my opinions on their services, stadium atmosphere, and to offer me all kinds of awesome deals on single game tickets/season tickets.

You gotta be hungry in the sports business world I tells ya.
I agree with this...prior to Sens arrival I used to go to 4-5 games a year at the then-Forum and I'd received fridge sticker calendars, complimentary Canadiens magazine, stuff like that. For my recent Sens purchases (5 games in 2013, two playoff) I've received...not much if anything. A small calendar. Senators don't really put a lot of effort into advertising that's for sure.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
I'm on my 4th year now of season tickets, I got an email a few days ago that said they were approaching their 13,000 goal and after talking to my ticket rep, he said they were about 2,000 away. So they are close, but yeah they could be higher.. A few deep playoff runs could push them right over the top and into the 14,s and 15's...
Yeah, but it seems like people are always saying that. If, if, if. I guess Ottawa just isnt the hockey hot bed like the other Canadian cities. Im not saying you gotta follow the team blindly and throw money at them regardless, but in other Canadian citites the bond seems stronger.

And people cant say the organization is poorly run and not one to be proud of - they do a pretty damn good job. Worth supporting day in and day out, in my opinion.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:27 AM
BK201

That's good to hear guys my uncle cancelled aswell. After the lock out he called his rep for the open house with the scratch tickets, he said he was on the fence about canceling what will make him stay is just getting an autograph from Alfie at the open house.

The tells yes I can do that just ignore the scratch tickets find me I'll be there and I'll put you in Alfredssons line and get you the autograph but thet've be the only one.

So they agree and my uncle shows up, looks fit his rep for an hour get Turris and soneone calks the next day say "are you gonna get me my autograph or do I have to cancel"and the rep told him ge'd email the cancelation papers.

My then he told me it was too bad because the old sales rep he had use to invite him into a box and watch part of the game with a beer and say so your renewing and my uncle would say yup and they'd sit and watch the game.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Smash88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
Yeah, but it seems like people are always saying that. If, if, if. I guess Ottawa just isnt the hockey hot bed like the other Canadian cities. Im not saying you gotta follow the team blindly and throw money at them regardless, but in other Canadian citites the bond seems stronger.

And people cant say the organization is poorly run and not one to be proud of - they do a pretty damn good job. Worth supporting day in and day out, in my opinion.
I'm in the last generation that didn't grow up a Sens fan, I'm 29. I'd say in my group of friends we are 50% Sens fans and 50% Leaf/Habs fans

It's coming... The kids that grew up with the Sens are finally starting to be old enough to start buying some up.. Once that happens we will see a steady climb.

I agree though I've been hearing the "we're close to 13,000" thing for a few years now...

Old
08-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Indrew

I had to cancel during the lockout for financial reasons. I had full seasons from 2007-2012.

The two reps I had during my time were great to me.

Indrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Ohhh Franco

I wonder if Flex Packs, Mini Packs and Half Seasons count towards the goal of 13,000?

Old
08-16-2013, 10:36 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy on the Road View Post
I had to cancel during the lockout for financial reasons. I had full seasons from 2007-2012.

The two reps I had during my time were great to me.
Thats good to hear I'm not sure why we had so much trouble.

I would add you can get 1/2 season tickets as low as 400 a seat. It's very affordable and fun.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Smash88

Quote:
I wonder if Flex Packs, Mini Packs and Half Seasons count towards the goal of 13,000?
They only count it when it adds up to a full season. So 2 half seasons count as 1 season seat sold.

Old
08-16-2013, 06:58 PM
alfierulestheworld

Quote:

Agreed, I have always been treated well and i dont have a full season, just a flex 20 in the 200's.

Last year I asked my rep to bring me and my dad out to the sens sales box for the penguins gaame. Not only did that happen, he brought us to the senate club for free beers and to meet leader and todd white. We got a tour of the buidling ice level, and then watched the game in the sales box. i renewed on the spot.

You just gotta ask!

Last edited by alfierulestheworld: 08-16-2013 at 07:06 PM.
alfierulestheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 07:05 PM
koreaboy

My agent is a good guy. Even recognized me by name walking into the rink one day.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 07:35 PM
the doctor

Quote:
Yeah, but it seems like people are always saying that. If, if, if. I guess Ottawa just isnt the hockey hot bed like the other Canadian cities.
Not sure why you draw this conclusion. Ottawa is a great hockey market, they can fill the CTC and almost the same for the 67s and Gatineau on the same night. Not many hockey markets in the world can do the same numbers.

This was easily the most difficult market to break into at the beginning, smack dab between Toronto and Montreal, but they are doing it. Big strides in 20 years and will keep getting better.

I get that you guys are young but man, most whiny, self-entitled fanbase (here on HF and Team 1200) that exists anywhere. This too will change as the fanbase grows, let's see what he next 20 years brings.

the doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by the doctor View Post
Not sure why you draw this conclusion. Ottawa is a great hockey market, they can fill the CTC and almost the same for the 67s and Gatineau on the same night. Not many hockey markets in the world can do the same numbers.

This was easily the most difficult market to break into at the beginning, smack dab between Toronto and Montreal, but they are doing it. Big strides in 20 years and will keep getting better.

I get that you guys are young but man, most whiny, self-entitled fanbase (here on HF and Team 1200) that exists anywhere. This too will change as the fanbase grows, let's see what he next 20 years brings.
I draw that conclusion because the Sens have the lowest Season Ticket base among the Canadian teams all the while having the cheapest tickets. I believe the Sens average ticket price is below the league average!

Whiny and self entitled? How did you draw that conclusion? I'm advocating the opposite actually.

Old
08-16-2013, 09:23 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by the doctor View Post

Completely agree. This is one hell of a tough market. Generational Habs/Leafs fans won't be disappearing any time soon. And add in the vanilla government mentality in this town, the "rolling up the sidewalks" and speak quietly small-town mentality attitude doesn't help much, either.

I think the problem is, for the most part, we've been spoiled. Plenty of great teams, lots of exciting talent, great characters and players you want to cheer for.

Looking around the league, not many teams have that on a consistent basis. We simply expect it every year. And, The Doctors is right, we are kinda whiny and entitled. The whole "win and maybe I'll show up to the game" mentality just doesn't work with sports.

Don't take me wrong - it's the perfect attitude to have as a consumer most of the time, demanding quality and accountability for the products and services we buy every day in stores. But professional sports is a different animal. Only one team per season can win a championship. Pro sports is cyclical in nature. It's damned near impossible to be like the Red Wings, where you're competitive every year (and they're in for one hell of a nasty fall this year or next). As fans, we do have to accept that some years we simply won't be that great. All we can demand are strong scouting and development (which we have in spades), a great workmanlike attitude, and an entertaining product.

Now, all that said, there's no excuse for a team giving ticket holders a bad off-ice experience. There are improvements to be made in that area with some sales reps and the occasional perks that go along with it.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
I think the problem is, for the most part, we've been spoiled. Plenty of great teams, lots of exciting talent, great characters and players you want to cheer for.
So we're horrible fans. I agree that we've had some great teams and characters etc. Somehow this club has already gone bankrupt once and now our Saviour is bleeding money - alledgedly.

Sad. Sometimes I just don't get his city.

Old
08-16-2013, 10:29 PM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Completely agree. This is one hell of a tough market. Generational Habs/Leafs fans won't be disappearing any time soon. And add in the vanilla government mentality in this town, the "rolling up the sidewalks" and speak quietly small-town mentality attitude doesn't help much, either.

Looking around the league, not many teams have that on a consistent basis. We simply expect it every year. And, The Doctors is right, we are kinda whiny and entitled. The whole "win and maybe I'll show up to the game" mentality just doesn't work with sports.

Don't take me wrong - it's the perfect attitude to have as a consumer most of the time, demanding quality and accountability for the products and services we buy every day in stores. But professional sports is a different animal. Only one team per season can win a championship. Pro sports is cyclical in nature. It's damned near impossible to be like the Red Wings, where you're competitive every year (and they're in for one hell of a nasty fall this year or next). As fans, we do have to accept that some years we simply won't be that great. All we can demand are strong scouting and development (which we have in spades), a great workmanlike attitude, and an entertaining product.

Now, all that said, there's no excuse for a team giving ticket holders a bad off-ice experience. There are improvements to be made in that area with some sales reps and the occasional perks that go along with it.
This. A thousand times this.

In this sense, Ottawa is a terrible sports town.

Number 1 reason why the Rough Riders and Renegades were forced out of town? "WELL THE TEAM SUCKED SO". (though I do remember and understand the overall ownership issues; however, in general most arguments boil down to the above).

oh ok.

I absolutely despise saying this, but we need to look to the Toronto example.

Blue Jays haven't made the playoffs in 20 years....two decades. No playoffs, and only rare winning seasons.

The Jays' current season is an absolute write-off, and a disastrous collapse given the money spent in the off-season to boot.

The Jays STILL managed to draw 40,000 paying customers to their Wednesday night game this week. 40,000. I know you need to hold teams accountable at the box office at some point, but this is the bar people. I really don't think a town like Ottawa has it in them to stick it out like that.

FuriousSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 08:57 AM
JD1

the rink being in Kanata certainly is not helpful. I live in the east end and I get to several games a year but it is a challenge if you want to go to the game and have a few pops. More centrally located with better / shorter transit commute times would be ideal

JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 09:39 AM
The Fuhr*

Well the arena is almost 20 years old... New arenas are built about every 30 years

Getting close to time to build a new arena

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote