HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Karlsson Injured Part II [YT#1] Lacerated Achilles, Surgery Required, Out Indef.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2013, 09:43 PM
  #26
aemoreira1981
Registered User
 
aemoreira1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,012
vCash: 500
Talk about bad luck for the Senators---they can't buy break. This looks like an unfortunate accident.

aemoreira1981 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:43 PM
  #27
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
I'm also not a Sens fans, and the Penguins are my 2nd or 3rd favorite team.

But in my opinion, there's 75% of chance that it was intentional. 25% that it was a freak accident (or a careless play by Cooke).

Given his history, the burden is on Cooke. If Cooke cannot prove without a doubt that it was an accident, then he should get sanctionned. Severely.
Guilty until proven innocent? And how could someone prove something as subjective as this anyways?

AgentM is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:43 PM
  #28
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffs View Post
Agreed.... but its Matt Cooke. Who really knows
Anybody.

He's not looking at the play. He's attempting to make a real hockey play, in tying up a man.

Sucks for Karlsson, but it just wasn't intentional.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:43 PM
  #29
tmurfin
So Good! Mony Mony!
 
tmurfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,958
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Ward JUST showed a replay of Wideman with his leg up going into the boards with a Stars player.
Yupp and a Dallas Dman attempting to do it to Iggy. It's a basic hockey play, freak injury.. Feel for Karl and Sens fans..

tmurfin is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:44 PM
  #30
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 13,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
I'm also not a Sens fans, and the Penguins are my 2nd or 3rd favorite team.

But in my opinion, there's 75% of chance that it was intentional. 25% that it was a freak accident (or a careless play by Cooke).

Given his history, the burden is on Cooke. If Cooke cannot prove without a doubt that it was an accident, then he should get sanctionned. Severely.
The only thing intentional is Cooke trying to make contact with Karlsson.

The rest is just a freak accident. And as someone mentioned, Wideman just did a similar play on a Stars player, except no freak accident.

Honour Over Glory is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:44 PM
  #31
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,790
vCash: 350
Not that cooke did this on purpose but if he was banned form the league like he should be then this never happens. This jerk doesn't deserve to sniff NHL ice. I'll never forgive him for his multiple head hunting incidents. RIP to Savard's career.

KingWantsCup is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:44 PM
  #32
man
M. Scott
 
man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
So cooke said all he heard was karlsson screaming and didn't know what happened. My question: if you here a guy screaming that badly (whether he's on your team or not) why the **** wouldn't you get the refs attention so they can blow the whistle down and get him some help or at least look his way. If I hear someone screaming, it is natural for me to at least take a glance at them to see what the heck is going on. What does cooke do? Skates away like nothing happened. Complete moron.
Lol... Let's suspend him for this unjust act towards society.

man is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:44 PM
  #33
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days
 
bathroomSTAAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: **** Mountain
Country: United States
Posts: 10,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
So cooke said all he heard was karlsson screaming and didn't know what happened. My question: if you here a guy screaming that badly (whether he's on your team or not) why the **** wouldn't you get the refs attention so they can blow the whistle down and get him some help or at least look his way. If I hear someone screaming, it is natural for me to at least take a glance at them to see what the heck is going on. What does cooke do? Skates away like nothing happened. Complete moron.
Good job looking for something to be mad about since you can't convince yourself it was a dirty play.

bathroomSTAAL is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:44 PM
  #34
Rod Buskas*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darglor View Post
So with Karlsson, Cowen and Spezza all out for season and Michalek out for who knows how long... do we go for Jones or McKinnon?
your in the East, so 8th place is still more than achievable.

Rod Buskas* is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:44 PM
  #35
HarrisonFord
Resident Leaf Homer
 
HarrisonFord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Yes, but that photo clearly shows he is looking to the left. Why would common sense be used in this situation?
Because people are emotional and want someone to blame for a freak accident, and common sense shows that what happened to Karlsson is, in fact, a freak accident.

HarrisonFord is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:44 PM
  #36
Iamok
#Panic
 
Iamok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darglor View Post
So with Karlsson, Cowen and Spezza all out for season and Michalek out for who knows how long... do we go for Jones or McKinnon?

I just hope he makes a full recovery. His skating is a huge part of Karlsson's game. If that gets diminished, he won't be half as good as he currently is because his unconventional style won't be effective anymore. That's the part that worries me more, since the season is already toast anyway.
Somehow we'll find a way to be relatively competitive and finish in the top 6 - 10 again.

Iamok is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:44 PM
  #37
Machinehead
Moderator
Mochonohod
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 44,006
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
Cooke certainly made the skate coming up look accidental.

But it wasn't.
2 problems with this staged accident conspiracy theory.....

1)Do you really think Matt Cooke is that smart? Really? It's Matt Cooke.

2)Do really think he cares enough to stage an accident? In past incidents he's thrown elbows right out in the open. If he was gonna take someone out intentionally, he'd just do it.

__________________

die fabelhafte linken Flügel (:
Machinehead is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:44 PM
  #38
bettercallstaal
Saul Goodman
 
bettercallstaal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wingdale
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,285
vCash: 500
I like Karlsson... poor guy. I don't think that was dirty. It was just unfortunate.

bettercallstaal is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
  #39
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
I'm also not a Sens fans, and the Penguins are my 2nd or 3rd favorite team.

But in my opinion, there's 75% of chance that it was intentional. 25% that it was a freak accident (or a careless play by Cooke).

Given his history, the burden is on Cooke. If Cooke cannot prove without a doubt that it was an accident, then he should get sanctionned. Severely.


You have got to be kidding me. What world am I in?

YouCantYandleThis* is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
  #40
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Buskas View Post
didn't read the other thread but are Sens fans trying to say this was intentional ? lol
Most are, but thankfully even "neutral" fans think it was an accident.

MtlPenFan is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
  #41
illpucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6,233
vCash: 500
What are your thoughts on a suspension for a reckless play?

illpucks is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
  #42
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King
 
Long Duk Dong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Buskas View Post
didn't read the other thread but are Sens fans trying to say this was intentional ? lol
No, a good bit of Sens fans said it was a freak play. Same with Philly and Bruin guys.

Long Duk Dong is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
  #43
Ultimate Warrior
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
This will be completely ignored. Hence 42 pages in 12 seconds...
Why should Matt Cooke be given the benefit of the doubt?

Ultimate Warrior is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
  #44
Smokey McCanucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,566
vCash: 500
Looks to me like Cooke's skate catches some rough ice and throws off his balance, makes the hit awkward instead of routine. Totally not intentional. How bad is Ottawa's luck this season though? After such a promising start, to lose Spezza and Karlson so quickly like that, and with Anderson having such a good season, is just brutal. All's they can do now is tank for a high pick, which stinks, they're a fun team to watch, with a couple of my favorite guys in Neil and Greening.

Smokey McCanucks is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
  #45
biffs
Registered User
 
biffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: www.failrun.com
Posts: 606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
I'm also not a Sens fans, and the Penguins are my 2nd or 3rd favorite team.

But in my opinion, there's 75% of chance that it was intentional. 25% that it was a freak accident (or a careless play by Cooke).

Given his history, the burden is on Cooke. If Cooke cannot prove without a doubt that it was an accident, then he should get sanctionned. Severely.
This is what it comes down to. Any other player, this gets chalked up to teflon skate resistant socks. But its Matt Cooke

biffs is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
  #46
Vegeta
Registered User
 
Vegeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Capsule Corp.
Country: Japan
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 50
Bob Mackenzie just said that Cooke will not be facing supplemental discipline. NHL does not see it as being an illegal play. Case closed.

Can we please now focus on the impact Karlsson's injury has on the Sens?

Vegeta is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
  #47
MrGrinch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
Really unfortunate. As a Jets 1.0 fan this reminds me how Teemu Selanne had his achilles cut back in 1994 going into the boards with Don McSween of the Ducks. Just a freak accident IMO.

MrGrinch is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:45 PM
  #48
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH
 
DDs not undersized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangkok
Country: Thailand
Posts: 3,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
What Cooke was trying to do was more than acceptable. Aaron Ward showed a few examples from just the Flames/Stars game after one period that looked exactly like what Cooke was trying to do. It was a hockey play, it unfortunately ended in the worst.
So Ward showed plays where the players got their Achilles tendon lacerated?

Oh no, this only happens to Matt Cooke. Unlucky guy...

DDs not undersized is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:46 PM
  #49
FBS
Registered User
 
FBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 596
vCash: 50
Had this exact same scenario played out with anyone other than Cooke the idea of it being intentional would never have crossed anyone's mind.

It's a horrible, freak accident, and nothing more than that.

FBS is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:46 PM
  #50
OgoBoHo
FIRE DESJARDINS
 
OgoBoHo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,486
vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by illpucks View Post
What are your thoughts on a suspension for a reckless play?
It's not a reckless play though.

OgoBoHo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.