HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Karlsson Injured Part II [YT#1] Lacerated Achilles, Surgery Required, Out Indef.

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 10:57 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Cooke at it again...
At what again? Making a hockey play that happens multiple times in each game? And no, I don mean what Cooke did and having another player get cut accidentally? As I mentioned on the first page, Aaron Ward showed multiple times where a player did exactly what Cooke was trying to do with his knee and control the player they were trying to hit.

Old
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
This really is a tragedy for the game. It's like the damn league is cursed sometimes when it comes to top offensive players getting cut down by injury.

Old
Ugene Malkin
I'm Score

Yep, Cooke's never gonna get the benefit of the doubt.

I feel for Karllson, what an exceptional player. Get well soon.

Back to Cooke bashing.

Old
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

I really hope this doesnt have any effect on Karlsson's career. It would be a huge setback not just to the Sens, but to the league overall to lose the best blueliner in the NHL.

CLEARLY Cooke is mouth agape because he is in the middle of laughing like Ming the Merciless

(before someone posted that with a straight face)

Summary of the conspiracy theorists in this thread: Player is horribly injured going into the boards, but because the guy involved has a huge history of being an ******* (that he has left behind the last two years) he made some incredibly sneaky play in a split second to cut someone's leg because in that split second his leg was being lifted.

Not head hunting, not boarding, but cutting someone's leg with a skate. Its not a play he could make without his leg being lifted, and he just decided in that moment to cut his leg open with a split second, lateral tap?

Last edited by mouser: 02-14-2013 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Qdp
Old
haveandare

Everyone saying "definitely intentional" and "definitely not intentional" don't know what intentional means. We can't and won't ever know whether it was or was not. Cooke knows what he intended to do - we don't.

Personally, I don't buy that he was trying to get his knee between his legs. His knee was clearly in Karlsson's back when he stepped down. If he was trying to get his knee between his legs, wouldn't he move it to that area and then place his skate on the ground instead of just stepping down while his knee is wedged against Karlsson's back? Whether or not he meant to hurt him, he should have been more careful with his skate blade up at that height. He should have realized that his blade was near the back of Karlsson's leg. He's responsible for knowing where the most dangerous part of his equipment is.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:58 PM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post

I'm sorry but thats a ******** line of thought, and you know it.
How? I was responding to the post that said Datsyuk and Cooke would be treated differently if the same questionable incident occured. I was merely pointing out why that was so. Look at all the NHL disciplinary decisions. They always look at previous history. Now, I haven't made it clear, but I will now: There is simply not enough evidence to prove any intent on Cooke's part here and of course he's not being suspended. That doesn't mean I don't think he was careless.

Old
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
How many incidents have happened with Datsyuk, and how many games has Datsyuk been suspended for dangerous and injurious plays? Now how many incidents has Cooke had and subsequently been suspended for?

Gee, I wonder why Datsyuk(or practically anyone else) would be given more of the benefit of the doubt in this kind of situation
Peace. I wasn't being critical of Datsyuk, just using him as an example of clean players. I was trying to suggest that with Cooke, as opposed to most players in the league, even it looks unintentional, there is a shadow of a doubt because of the kind of player he was, and maybe still is. I don't think we are in disagreement here.

Old
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
Other thread was past 1000?

Hard to see how Cooke hit him intentionally there.

Looks like an attempt to tie the body up, gone really wrong for Karlsson.

Super unfortunate for Sens fans, hoping a speedy recovery to Erik!
I was willing to give the Sens fans a little wiggle room here because of their grief and it was cooke who did it.

But looking at this replay , trying to suggest Cooke did this on purpose is plain INSANITY . I watched it 6 times.

Old
DearDiary

vCash: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
So cooke said all he heard was karlsson screaming and didn't know what happened. My question: if you here a guy screaming that badly (whether he's on your team or not) why the **** wouldn't you get the refs attention so they can blow the whistle down and get him some help or at least look his way. If I hear someone screaming, it is natural for me to at least take a glance at them to see what the heck is going on. What does cooke do? Skates away like nothing happened. Complete moron.
What does that make Chara? Smashes a Pacierettys head against metal, the whole arena hears yet he does not even glance back once.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I'm not going to do your work for you Mohandas, but look up Messier doing a Cooke on Modano way back when.

Only difference is Modano was able to recover.
Yup old school hockey. So don't come on here crying when Neil gives aid a concussion on an open ice hit.

Old
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Hilarious.

Only on HFBoards, accumulating a top 5 pick is more better than making the playoffs.
Make the playoffs when more than half of the teams in the league do, or draft a potential franchise forward to replace Alfie once he retires. I'd rather the top 5 pick too.

Still sucks for EK though, hope he comes back 100%

Old
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Cooke peace of **** that he is cleaned up his act ya right he knew what he was doing.

Old
WarriorScholar

If it was Tyler glass on Mike Lundin there wouldn't be a thread. And not one person would claim it was intentional. The people that watched the pens- sens game would be the only ones who even saw it happen. You would not be able to find a replay.

That should tell you if it was intentional or not. But once again, I don't blame sens fans for any of their comments , especially since it was Cooke. I do laugh at the non sens fans for saying it was " clearly" intentional though.

If I'm a sens fan, I just pray he will be ok( we have seen these injuries with guys recovering) and hope for some silver lining( getting top 5 pick out of it who turns out to be an all star, when they would have been picking no higher than late teens ) . That's what it boils down to.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

ouch. sucks for the sens..

Old
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

1. I'd wish nothing but speediest recovery on Karlsson. Guy is complete treat to watch.
2. From my viewpoint, it was completely unintentional by Cooke. I don't know what his skate was doing up there, but he wasn't even looking there.
3. More important than Sens future is Karlsson returning back 100%, like he was playing until this injury.

Old
Smoke
Time is the flaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
love the hypocrisy from pens fans...Subban is a dirty POS from cutting Staal. And now look at them defend Cooke.

Clearly both incidents were completely accidental imo.
Fans of teams that have had one of their star players get injured think irrationally. That doesn't make them hypocrites. If a Sens player has this play happen down the line, yet the roles were reversed, their fans would be defensive. That's just the way things work.

Old
WhatThePuck
"Shoots Wide" !!!

No Spezza and now no Karlsson.....if Ottawa somehow manages to make the playoffs, they will deserve all the credit in the world.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Everyone saying "definitely intentional" and "definitely not intentional" don't know what intentional means. We can't and won't ever know whether it was or was not. Cooke knows what he intended to do - we don't.

Personally, I don't buy that he was trying to get his knee between his legs. His knee was clearly in Karlsson's back when he stepped down. If he was trying to get his knee between his legs, wouldn't he move it to that area and then place his skate on the ground instead of just stepping down while his knee is wedged against Karlsson's back? Whether or not he meant to hurt him, he should have been more careful with his skate blade up at that height. He should have realized that his blade was near the back of Karlsson's leg. He's responsible for knowing where the most dangerous part of his equipment is.
I understand this is the best heavy spin you are left with to TRY to somehow make it look legit but in the end you are suggesting the same stupid thing. Cooke is responsible and 'shuddah known'

No. He shouldn't . It was an accident and nothing is going to change that.

Old
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipops View Post
What does that make Chara? Smashes a Pacierettys head against metal, the whole arena hears yet he does not even glance back once.
Oh, i totally agree on that one. I even brought that up in a chara thread at the time. Although it can't be proven 100%, but it's natural (for most) to turn their head to see what the hell just happened. Inhibiting turning to see may mean a person is deliberately not looking on purpose. When there is that large of a noise, it's natural for most.

Old
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
I was willing to give the Sens fans a little wiggle room here because of their grief and it was cooke who did it.

But looking at this replay , trying to suggest Cooke did this on purpose is plain INSANITY . I watched it 6 times.

I'm not saying he did or did not do it. I'm just saying that I don't see how anyone can judge intent, one way or the other, on the basis of the replays that have been posted thus far.

Old
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Fluke accident.

People who think that was intentional probably think 9/11 was conspiracy and live in fear of their dog talking ******** behind their back.
Unless your name is matt cooke you can't say either way. You cannot know what his intentions were. My opinion is that it was intentional because he makes 2 separate motions, one towards the leg and then one to put his skate on the ice and i posted that it was intentional. BUT neither of us knows.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:02 PM
MtlPenFan

It was as intentional as the Steckel hit.

Think about that for a while...

Old
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post

Right now, with this post, you are suggesting that Cooke may have intentionally cut somebody with a blade, something that would be punishable by going to jail for several years.

What happened was a hockey play. A HOCKEY PLAY.

A HOCKEY PLAY.

Gone wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
Unless your name is matt cooke you can't say either way. You cannot know what his intentions were. My opinion is that it was intentional because he makes 2 separate motions, one towards the leg and then one to put his skate on the ice and i posted that it was intentional. BUT neither of us knows.
On the other hand, some posters are full on incriminating him, based on fairly unobservant observations.

Good stuff.

Old
The Naz
With God given hands

First of all, I'm a Leaf fan, obviously not partial to either side. Especially the Sens.

I don't know how anyone can be so sure about anything in that play, other then Cooke. Only he knows what his intentions were. But I will interpret what I saw.

At ~:02 it looks like Cooke turns his elevated left skate in to the boards.

At ~:11 you see Cooke raise his knee into the back of EK's right leg, as though to use leverage and push him. A defensive pinning stance as some have said.

Immediately after making contact with EK's tendon, he brings his skate at least 1ft back under his own weight, closer to himself. If his intentions with that skate where to find ice, he'd have brought exactly where he made contact with the ice.

If he was really off balance, I have to think he'd have slipped his right knee a little after making contact to EK. That's not the height your expecting to make contact. I've had the same loss of balance sensation when carrying something large down stairs and assuming there is still another step. Your planted leg buckles at the knee.

His motion seems to be in a kick or stomp.

There's no definitive way to claim intent, as we aren't in Cooke's head, but to me, it seems as though his leg reached to make contact with Karlsson's skate.

Stand up and lean on your right leg. When you go to plant your left, you don't reach. You put it under you weight.

I don't think he intended on serious damage, but it seem he was making a stomping motion to me, not trying to get balanced. Especially after watching where his left skate actually made contact with the ice.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:03 PM
BringBackChara

IT SHOULD BE NOTED:

Prior in the game, Gonchar slapped a shot at Cooke's head. Cooke took exception to this and Gonchar even alluded to it in the 1st intermission interview. Now with Cooke's reputation for being dirty and having no concern for other players safety it wouldn't surprise me he would be involved in a reckless play.

Our team's best player goes down on a questionable play from a scrub player with a reputation...YOU better freaking believe Neil is going to take exception and I applaud him sticking up for his teammate. Unfortunately, Cooke is a gutless coward so Neil had to dummy him.

Also FYI: Before calling Neil a spot picker you really need to look at his fights, he will back up his actions on the ice and has fought some legit heavyweights in the NHL.

Closed Thread