HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Brust En Fuego!

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2005, 09:50 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Brust En Fuego!

This link is going to expire in 24 hours, so I am posting the article

http://www.readingeagle.com/re/sports/1373605.asp

Quote:
Brust impenetrable as Royals record shutout over Bombers

By Matt Malinowski
Reading Eagle
Whether he was kicking away breakaways or erasing defensive breakdowns, Reading Royals goalie Barry Brust made things look relatively easy.

No acrobatic stops. No sliding post-to-post and doing the splits to keep pucks out of the net.

Sure, he had his moments when his brilliance brought rousing cheers from the fans. No doubt his finest display came early in the third period, when he deftly snagged a bullet from the point that appeared destined to get the Dayton Bombers on the board.

But for much of the game, Brust made the majority of his 31 saves in a 2-0 ECHL win over the Bombers at the Sovereign Center look seemingly routine.

That's not to insinuate they were routine. Many - perhaps too many - were quality efforts in prime scoring areas.

And each time Brust swallowed them up or brushed them aside, much of the time controlling rebounds in the process.

But maybe the play that showed exactly how well things are going for Brust didn't even come on an official shot.

About 14 minutes into the second period, Brust came out of his net to glove a fluttering puck. He jumped and missed and the puck bounced into the goal crease, where a myriad of Royals kept it out of the net.

“Yeah, the luck of the Irish must have been on my side on that one,” Brust said. “Any time a puck is above the boards here, it gets real tough to see. I had it, and then kind of lost it.

“It was a bit of a dumb play by me, but fortunately I'm getting those breaks right now because that could have been a game-changing goal.”

Reading took a 1-0 lead with 33 seconds left in the first period when Graig Mischler collected his own rebound and neatly tucked the puck past the goal line for a power-play goal.

The score stayed that way after two periods because of Brust's brilliance - his error on the pop-up not withstanding.

He stopped a breakaway, which was followed by a flurry in front. He turned aside a wrister on a two-on-one. He erased several good opportunities in tight.

Reading got an insurance goal from Preston Mizzi with 6:58 left in the third period.

“There's no question Brust won us the game tonight,” Royals coach Derek Clancey said. “I think they outworked us and we got a couple of lucky breaks.

“I don't think we have played overly well the last couple of weeks, and he has been a big factor in our wins. But you can't ride him forever, and guys have to bring a better effort. He played outstanding, but he got way too much work. I don't want my goalies getting that kind of work every night.”

Well, even if the Royals aren't performing up to Clancey's expectations, Brust is proving he can win games on his own.

He is 6-0-0 with three shutouts in his last six starts. He is 9-0-1 in his last 11 games and improved to 22-8-3 this season.

Right now, scoring on him hardly is easy.

Old
03-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Another positive from the lockout. Brust is really honing his game down there in the "E", along with Fukufuji, and I think and by the time the NHL is back we could see the 2 of them in Manchester....

Old
03-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Another positive from the lockout. Brust is really honing his game down there in the "E", along with Fukufuji, and I think and by the time the NHL is back we could see the 2 of them in Manchester....
I was pretrty shocked two read that article. The three times I saw Brust in net were very forgettable. Good to see he is turning it around

Old
03-18-2005, 05:54 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

he's in our possession for 2 more years right?

im not sure if my memory is failing me, but didn't he always do fairly ok int he ECHL but struggled int he A?

Old
03-18-2005, 06:06 PM
pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur

im not sure if my memory is failing me, but didn't he always do fairly ok int he ECHL but struggled int he A?
Brust is a rookie, never played in the A. And yes, he wasn't the greatest in the beginning of the season but he's playing much better these days. He likes to play the puck A LOT which can be scary as hell to watch sometimes but luck's been on his side and it hasn't hurt him much lately. He's making saves that would've been guaranteed goals earlier this season and hopefully he'll keep it up until and through the playoffs.

Old
03-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur

He was struggling in the Canadian Juniors. Had a rough couple of years with Spokane. He started to turn it around in Calgary.
Quote:
02-03 Spokane WHL 59 0 3 18 3385 194 0 0 3.44
03-04 Spokane WHL 27 0 1 14 1505 75 0 0 2.99
03-04 Calgary Hitmen 25 0 1 10 1448 54 0 2 2.24
04-05 Reading ECHL 35 0 4 23 1988 64 2 4 1.93
Look at the GAA Drop! I wasn't really thrilled when he signed him. Hopefully he can keep it up. Either the scouting staff might have found a gem or we need to give Andy Noweicki more credit

Old
03-18-2005, 07:30 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

If I remember correctly, he played pretty decently in the ECHL all-star game. He wasn't tested much, though. Marsters was more impressive.

Here's hoping he can keep it up!

Old
03-18-2005, 08:08 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Look at the GAA Drop! I wasn't really thrilled when he signed him. Hopefully he can keep it up. Either the scouting staff might have found a gem or we need to give Andy Noweicki more credit
well, it would be nice if we could give noweicki credit, cuase our franchise is damn due for brigning out a solid #1. COME ON!!! bring up somone good!

Old
03-18-2005, 08:29 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I'm probably in the minority here when I say this, but I really like Brust, and I think he'll end up as being a great goalie down the road.

Old
03-19-2005, 06:08 PM
maximil

Can someone compare his playing style another goaltender who played in the NHL recently? How about Fukufuji?

I've never seen either play and I'm curious.

Old
03-19-2005, 06:31 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

memory is hazy but brust had a quick glove and poor everything else. i think he gave up fat rebounds and just iddn't seem to be too solid fundamentally. after seeing him i wasn't expecting him to do much except make the AHL.

i saw fuku, didn't impress me much either. i think he made a few good saves and had quick side to side movement (if ic an remember correctly). i think his positioning was fairly decent, which got him most of his saves, but he had a lota holes that the puck would just seem to slip into. rough around the edges, but from what the coaching staff sounds like, he may be rounding it out slowly. everyone keeps saying he starts off well then ends poorly from lack of stamina. that seems to be the general consensus about him. can't really agree or disagree on that though

Old
03-19-2005, 06:45 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximil
Can someone compare his playing style another goaltender who played in the NHL recently? How about Fukufuji?

I've never seen either play and I'm curious.
Brust reminds me a little bit of Roman Turek of last season. He has plenty of size, but didn't appear to be very sharp.

Old
03-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
I had the luxury of seeing him a fair bit last season with the Calgary Hitmen. The thing that stands out about him most is obviously his ability to play the puck. Aside from that, he seems to be a fairly competent goaltender in terms of positioning and rebound control.

I'm surprised at his recent luck and season in the ECHL, but then again, he's shown flashes of it in Calgary before.

Old
03-20-2005, 03:32 AM
Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
He was struggling in the Canadian Juniors. Had a rough couple of years with Spokane. He started to turn it around in Calgary.

Only time will tell if the Kings found a gem but Andy Noweicki has spent time with each of the Kings goaltenders this season. He has visited with Brust at least a couple of times this year. He also spends time with the other goaltenders when he visits the teams [Manchester Reading and Bakersfield] that the Kings have no connection with.

Old
03-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Word

Andy Norwicki is in Bakersfield for the next few days to work with their goaltenders.

Old
03-24-2005, 01:14 PM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Well at least he cares...

Closed Thread