HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mid-round selections outperforming top picks from Calgary Flames 2008 draft class

Old
02-12-2013, 03:00 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Mid-round selections outperforming top picks from Calgary Flames 2008 draft class

The Calgary Flames finished the 2007-08 regular season in seventh place and secured a spot in the Western Conference playoffs. The team was knocked out in the first round for the third straight year when the Flames lost a hard fought seven game series against the San Jose Sharks.

Calgary went into the 2008 NHL Entry Draft hoping to only tweak their roster a little while looking for a top-six forward and some offensive depth on defense. The Flames acquired Mike Cammalleri from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for their first round selection (17th overall, which LA traded with the 28th pick to Anaheim to move up to 12th overall) and a second round pick so that the winger could help Jarome Iginla provide more offense for the Flames.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
I'm surprised Mitch Wahl is still considered a "prospect" instead of a "bust" but then I saw he was leading the ECHL (not just Utah) in points.

Maybe there's hope for the guy after all...

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
If Ward can get poached by another team in the off-season and a real developmentally focused coach can be brought in, I wouldn't be surprised to see a resurgence in Nemisz, Ferland, Howse and Wahl's (to name a few) career's.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:17 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
If Ward can get poached by another team in the off-season and a real developmentally focused coach can be brought in, I wouldn't be surprised to see a resurgence in Nemisz, Ferland, Howse and Wahl's (to name a few) career's.
I would love to bring a coach like Hartley into the Heat but it seems that Feaster really likes Ward so it seems unlikely we get a new coach.

As for Wahl I think he really needs to be given a chance, he had injure problems early on an that made him slip down the depth chart and he simply hasn't been given a chance since.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I would love to bring a coach like Hartley into the Heat but it seems that Feaster really likes Ward so it seems unlikely we get a new coach.
Which is why I hope he's poached in the off-season. If another team offers Ward a head coaching job, or maybe even just an assistant position, and Ward decides to go, Feaster can't stop it. Well, not unless Ward doesn't have an out clause in his contract. I hope he does.

Quote:
As for Wahl I think he really needs to be given a chance, he had injure problems early on an that made him slip down the depth chart and he simply hasn't been given a chance since.
Common story for a lot of Flames prospects for a long time now. Both in the AHL and the NHL. It's bizarre how the organization thinks it can ever improve unless it addresses these very basic and fundamental issues. Wahl has a lot of talent, but I doubt the Flames offer him a contract in the off-season; he wasn't picked by Feaster and injuries have seen him struggle. They don't seem high on him at all.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Sean Monahan
#boring

vCash: 50
Brodie

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

I wish Bouma wasn't injured this season.. I believe he will be a solid 3/4th liner for the Flames for years to come. Great attitude, physical presence, work ethic, and leadership qualities.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:56 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Brodie (Top 4 Defender)
Nemisz (Third Line two-way PF)
Bouma (4th Line Energy Player)

Not a TERRIBLE draft, if they progress how they are supposed to. Thank god for Brodie.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:34 PM
nogger
Missed the Net AINEC

Never even heard of that Larson guy before today lol

nogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:56 PM
MarkGio

I wonder if Hartely can pursuade Feaster to let Ward go. Hartely might see that these players aren't NHL ready but have the skills

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Sean Monahan
#boring

I think we need to hire a coach that has a similar style to Hartley for the Heat

that way the players called up will be more ready for the NHL

Pittsburgh does this Im sure

Old
02-13-2013, 01:04 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
I think we need to hire a coach that has a similar style to Hartley for the Heat

that way the players called up will be more ready for the NHL

Pittsburgh does this Im sure
A lot of franchises, well those with good management, try to get their minor league franchise playing the same system as the main club employes. It makes transitions for prospects that much easier and more efficient. The Sharks do this to great effect.

I know the Flames tried to do this under Darryl Sutter, at least for a couple of years. But of course, there wasn't enough talent in the minor leagues to get it to work to a good degree. And then again, the system itself wasn't any good either.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:20 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
A lot of franchises, well those with good management, try to get their minor league franchise playing the same system as the main club employes. It makes transitions for prospects that much easier and more efficient. The Sharks do this to great effect.

I know the Flames tried to do this under Darryl Sutter, at least for a couple of years. But of course, there wasn't enough talent in the minor leagues to get it to work to a good degree. And then again, the system itself wasn't any good either.
Now that you point it out. It seems illogical to do it any other way. Consider me +1 for the "get a new coach for the Heat" Bandwagon.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Devilspuppet666

i still believe that wahl has what it takes and i think feaster will give him one more year after this and he will be placed on the farm

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:07 PM
MarkGio

Quote:

Winning is important too. You want prospects coming up the pipes in a winning atmosphere. If the Heat win the Calder for example, these prospects would likely join the Flames with the mentality of doing all the little things and sacrifices that win games

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Sean Monahan
#boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Winning is important too. You want prospects coming up the pipes in a winning atmosphere. If the Heat win the Calder for example, these prospects would likely join the Flames with the mentality of doing all the little things and sacrifices that win games
why not both

Old
02-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
As important as a winning environment is, it's significance is lost if victory appears on the backs of AHL journeymen like Kolanos or Brust versus from the play of actual Flames' prospects. Playing <10 minutes a night doesn't do Reinhart much good, even if it's on a Calder Cup winning team.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:52 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
As important as a winning environment is, it's significance is lost if victory appears on the backs of AHL journeymen like Kolanos or Brust versus from the play of actual Flames' prospects. Playing <10 minutes a night doesn't do Reinhart much good, even if it's on a Calder Cup winning team.
Exactly.

Sure, they may learn what it takes for a team to win, but not how to improve their individual games.