HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The League LVI

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 05:01 AM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
We tend to play a pretty uptempo game ourselves, but yeah it does seem like we get sucked into playing the other team's sometimes. Perhaps the difference in pure skill between the Hawks and the Nucks has something to do with it too, I don't know.

It's a combination of pure skill, which the Hawks have more of, and the ability of their forwards to create one on one. These are the big facets that separate these teams IMO. Whenever they play, you know it's a Canucks style of game when the flow is controlled and there's no room, while the opposite is true when you see run and gun hockey.

The two teams used to be similar when the Canucks were pushing the offense in 2009 and 2010. Then, after getting beat by the Hawks, the Canucks started to go the other way. Malhotra was brought in, more focus went to creating a heavy QoC 4th line and of course bigger defensive players. If you can't run and gun with the best in the league, which few teams can do, you have to be able to defend and out-hit/grind the other teams. This Canucks team can do a bit of both.

After the top three of Sedins + Kesler vs. Toews + Kane + Hossa, there is a drop off in skill from Sharp to Burrows. Beyond them, Bolland, Saad, Kruger, Bickell, Stalberg, Frolik have some ability to create offense. It's not as drastic with Schroeder here, but there is a difference still IMO.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:06 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Corey Crawford's 917 SV% in 2011 would be the third highest in Miller's career. Never understood the love for Miller.
I'm not going to claim that Ryan Miller is everything that everyone says he is, but if you check out even strength save percentage, Crawford's had a .915 and a .924 (from most to least recent) while Miller's had .922, .924, .928, .927, .915, .928, .919.

I don't think that's exactly an indictment of Miller, personally - he's had three years significantly above Crawford's high water mark, one tied and one slightly below. Five out of seven years with comparable or superior performances isn't anything to sneeze at.

I'd also suggest that Crawford plays behind a significantly better defensive team than Miller has over most of his career.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Lol Miller was pissed in his interview.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

Miller is so unbearably whiny. Only time I liked him is when he called out Lucic.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:03 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
heard on 1040 that Miller was whining and calling out his teammates. Was it that bad? cause I haven't seen the interview. Wouldn't surprise me with Miller, but he really be one of the last players to call out the team considering his play this season has been bad.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Ebbett's on waivers.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
I'm not going to claim that Ryan Miller is everything that everyone says he is, but if you check out even strength save percentage, Crawford's had a .915 and a .924 (from most to least recent) while Miller's had .922, .924, .928, .927, .915, .928, .919.

I don't think that's exactly an indictment of Miller, personally - he's had three years significantly above Crawford's high water mark, one tied and one slightly below. Five out of seven years with comparable or superior performances isn't anything to sneeze at.

I'd also suggest that Crawford plays behind a significantly better defensive team than Miller has over most of his career.
I think my point was more than Miller is always mentioned like he's this elite goaltender with an incredible pedigree, but he's only been "good" in his career with the exception of one year.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:53 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
heard on 1040 that Miller was whining and calling out his teammates. Was it that bad? cause I haven't seen the interview. Wouldn't surprise me with Miller, but he really be one of the last players to call out the team considering his play this season has been bad.
I didnt catch all of it so i dont know if he named names but he was pretty close to calling them a bunch of ****ing *******s.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Avs score an obviously off-side goal (by around 3 feet...).

NHL officiating continues to be a joke.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Avs score an obviously off-side goal (by around 3 feet...).

NHL officiating continues to be a joke.
From the Avs board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
One of the worst calls I've ever seen.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:01 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
From the Avs board:

LOL! I thought the linesman must have been out of position to miss that but he's right on the line watching the whole thing. He must be thinking about his RRSP contribution.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Pseudonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post

Old
02-18-2013, 05:04 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 View Post
Wow. He an think that, and TSN broke down that he's got a point, but you NEVER say **** like that in front of a live mike.
I wonder what his reaction will be when a teammate reams him out for a soft goal?

Old
02-18-2013, 05:34 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Nashville has as many ROWs as Colorado but they have six more points than them thanks to loser points.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:44 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
Wow. He an think that, and TSN broke down that he's got a point, but you NEVER say **** like that in front of a live mike.
I wonder what his reaction will be when a teammate reams him out for a soft goal?
Goalies always have it tough when complaining about what's happening on the ice in front of them because they are the last man beaten on every goal and it just looks like blame shifting by them. It's unfortunate and PR suicide even when the goalies is 100% on target because it's just impossible for them to say the truth and have it treated logically by the media looking for an angle and angry fans. It's why goalies shouldn't be captains because they are expected to answer these question as captains and it can't be done without them looking like they are blame shifting. ie As captain Henrik Sedin could come out and say "The skaters were poor defensively and abandon our goalie who was great, none of the goals were his fault and the skaters is 100% at fault" but if Captain Luongo came out and said ""The skaters were poor defensively and abandon me, I who was great, none of the goals were my fault and the skaters were 100% at fault". Same thing but one is going to get monstered by the press.

However, something needs to change in Buffalo and maybe Miller dumping on them in public is just what they need. That whole team needs to improve it's defensive effort and this might fire them up to do it.

Last edited by me2: 02-18-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old
02-18-2013, 05:52 PM
VanEric

I enjoyed when Luongo was captain and the reporters would ask him about the Power Play.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:52 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
Nashville has as many ROWs as Colorado but they have six more points than them thanks to loser points.
Only loser points are OT loser points. SO win points a joke points.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:03 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
It's a combination of pure skill, which the Hawks have more of, and the ability of their forwards to create one on one. These are the big facets that separate these teams IMO. Whenever they play, you know it's a Canucks style of game when the flow is controlled and there's no room, while the opposite is true when you see run and gun hockey.

The two teams used to be similar when the Canucks were pushing the offense in 2009 and 2010. Then, after getting beat by the Hawks, the Canucks started to go the other way. Malhotra was brought in, more focus went to creating a heavy QoC 4th line and of course bigger defensive players. If you can't run and gun with the best in the league, which few teams can do, you have to be able to defend and out-hit/grind the other teams. This Canucks team can do a bit of both.

After the top three of Sedins + Kesler vs. Toews + Kane + Hossa, there is a drop off in skill from Sharp to Burrows. Beyond them, Bolland, Saad, Kruger, Bickell, Stalberg, Frolik have some ability to create offense. It's not as drastic with Schroeder here, but there is a difference still IMO.
When you say that, do you mean by their style of play or just that we legitimately had 3 scoring lines in the playoffs?

Skill-wise I have to agree. Sharp is more skilled and a better shooter than Burr, though for the rest of the lineup I think there's not as big of a difference when we have Raymond and Hansen who can also create something out of nothing. It's not totally one way or the other as both rosters have players that can go north-south as well as some that can go east-west, but in general I think the Hawks and Canucks also just tend to differ in playing style. They incorporate more east-west movement in their attack overall compared to our mostly north-south style IMO.

I would also point out that the Hawks seem to play with more structure in their attack - where everyone seems to play with a certain strategy in mind and they look coordinated and in sync - whereas for us it just seems to be up to the players themselves to generate shots and chances. So I don't know how much that affects the view of how good Chicago's forwards are. How does one separate a player who looks good creating offense from just a good offensive system and coaching? Or, would our 'grinders' look as good playing under Quenneville's strategies?

Old
02-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Goalies always have it tough when complaining about what's happening on the ice in front of them because they are the last man beaten on every goal and it just looks like blame shifting by them. It's unfortunate and PR suicide even when the goalies is 100% on target because it's just impossible for them to say the truth and have it treated logically by the media looking for an angle and angry fans. It's why goalies shouldn't be captains because they are expected to answer these question as captains and it can't be done without them looking like they are blame shifting. ie As captain Henrik Sedin could come out and say "The skaters were poor defensively and abandon our goalie who was great, none of the goals were his fault and the skaters is 100% at fault" but if Captain Luongo came out and said ""The skaters were poor defensively and abandon me, I who was great, none of the goals were my fault and the skaters were 100% at fault". Same thing but one is going to get monstered by the press.

However, something needs to change in Buffalo and maybe Miller dumping on them in public is just what they need. That whole team needs to improve it's defensive effort and this might fire them up to do it.
The person responsible for the mess in Buffalo is Regier. He was the one who thought going into the season with the top three centers as Hodgson-Ennis(not even a C!)-Grigorenko was a good idea.

If winning was the goal for Buffalo this season, Regier does not understand pro hockey at all.

If tanking was the goal, I'm guessing mission accomplished.

Grigorenko was a healthy scratch last game I believe. Nice use of his ELC. Such a bizarre decision to keep him up.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:20 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
From the Avs board:

It was so funny watching a half-hearted Duchene skate in and take a casual shot on goalie, then embarassed go over to the bench with barely any celebration. He was so far offside he was in shock, waiting for the whistle.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:28 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
It was so funny watching a half-hearted Duchene skate in and take a casual shot on goalie, then embarassed go over to the bench with barely any celebration. He was so far offside he was in shock, waiting for the whistle.
He even admitted he knew he was offside going in, but what can you do when the linesman is plain incompetent?

What I'm more concerned with though is how they could even let it stand after he scored. NSH argues their case, yet the refs and linesmen don't go upstairs? Or is there no goal review allowed even if the officials bungle a call? Even if the guy knows he ****ed up?

Old
02-18-2013, 06:40 PM
dsedin

ehh it happens.. these are linesmen we're talking about not refs..they consistently make great calls considering the speed of the game/players/puck..you rarely see them make a mistake like this

the reffing on the other hand is inexcusable..I HATE when they make make-up calls even when it favors our team..I mean you miss a call, it's understandable, but to ref a game with different standards from that point on (essentially looking for a play to "make up" for the missed call) is amateur stuff

Old
02-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
It wasn't offside: 83.2 Deflections / Rebounds – When a defending player propels the puck out of his defending zone and the puck clearly rebounds off a defending player in the neutral zone back into the defending zone, all attacking players are eligible to play the puck. However, any action by an attacking player that causes a deflection/rebound off a defending player in the neutral zone back into the defending zone (i.e. stick check, body check, physical contact), a delayed off-side shall be signaled by the Linesman.

The preds defender deflected the puck propelling it into his zone. Technically it was onside. The pred touched it negating any offside.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:13 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
It wasn't offside: 83.2 Deflections / Rebounds – When a defending player propels the puck out of his defending zone and the puck clearly rebounds off a defending player in the neutral zone back into the defending zone, all attacking players are eligible to play the puck. However, any action by an attacking player that causes a deflection/rebound off a defending player in the neutral zone back into the defending zone (i.e. stick check, body check, physical contact), a delayed off-side shall be signaled by the Linesman.

The preds defender deflected the puck propelling it into his zone. Technically it was onside. The pred touched it negating any offside.
The puck didn't rebound back into the preds zone, it was off a pass by by an Avs player from the Avs zone, off a neutral zone player into the preds zone.

"If a player legally carries or passes the puck back into his own defending zone while a player of the opposing team is in such defending zone, the off-side shall be ignored and play permitted to continue."

is closer but I don't think that applies as the Pred he never had control, he just got hit

Last edited by me2: 02-18-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old
02-18-2013, 07:18 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
The puck didn't rebound back into the preds zone, it was off a pass by by an Avs player from the Avs zone into the preds zone.
83.1 Off-side - Players of the attacking team must not precede the puck into the attacking zone.
The position of the player’s skates and not that of his stick shall be the determining factor in all instances in deciding an off-side. A player is off-side when both skates are completely over the leadingedge of the blue line involved in the play.
A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with, or on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses the leadingedge of the blueline regardless of the position of his stick. However, a player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the puck shall not be considered “off-side,” provided he had possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the blue line.
It should be noted that while the position of the player’s skates is what determines whether a player is “off-side,” nevertheless the question of an “off-side” never arises until the puck has completely crossed the leading edge of the blueline at which time the decision is to be made.
If a player legally carries or passes the puck back into his own defending zone while a player of the opposing team is in such defending zone, the off-side shall be ignored and play permitted to continue.

This is what the linesman interpreted. I'm not saying I agree but it was legally played into the zone by the preds player when he deflected it.

Closed Thread