HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The League LVI

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2013, 01:40 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Yeah, player personnel wise, Wilson has done a fine job. San Jose is littered with size and skill up front, the backend is solid and they're good enough between the pipes. For whatever reason, they just can't get the most out of that group. Hard to blame the GM when he continually ices one of the best rosters in the NHL.

Like you said, it's up to the players to go out and get it.
Or, you know, maybe the roster is not one of the best in the NHL and they simply have a bunch of overrated players? Or players that don't mesh together? They're still one of the slowest teams in the league after all. That seems like a pretty big oversight.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:46 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Or, you know, maybe the roster is not one of the best in the NHL and they simply have a bunch of overrated players? Or players that don't mesh together? They're still one of the slowest teams in the league after all. That seems like a pretty big oversight.
I agree. At what point do you acknowledge that the personnel are overrated. I mean the same could be said for the Canucks but we made it to game 7 of the SCF and at least are losing to the eventual Cup champs. The Sharks just disappoint every year and have for a long time. They may even struggle to make the playoffs this year unless they improve. The only thing in their favour is that likely only one team makes it from the NW so 7 will be in from the other two divisions.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:51 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 2178
Chara sure had a nice goal for a man his size.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
But this is one of Wilson's worst seasons since being in San Jose. Not bad when your rock bottom is .500. The Sharks have iced a lot of excellent hockey teams during Wilson's tenure, but like the Canucks, they just haven't strung together 4 playoff round victories in 1 year.

I don't think their personnel are overrated either. Though they're obviously one of the slowest teams in the league.

The top end of the roster is there. Wilson just needs to build a much better bottom 6.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Ha, apparently the daughter of the Sabres owner (Terry Pegula) said that the Sabres suck.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/2/2...are-really-bad

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
02-24-2013, 04:04 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Would love Boyle, Visnovsky or Streit. The Islander dmen are probably more realistic targets, as San Jose isn't going to want to make the Canucks any stronger. Wilson probably still regrets the Ehrhoff gift.
Agree, would kill to get one of those three on on our team manning our 1st unit PP and leading the rush 20 minutes a night.

You'd have to think Boyle would be very interested in being traded to team that will be a contender for the last 1.5 years on his current deal—his contract may be tough to squeeze in past this year however, and he would be the most expensive of the 3 D you mentioned.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:22 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Ha, apparently the daughter of the Sabres owner (Terry Pegula) said that the Sabres suck.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/2/2...are-really-bad
Ouch! At least someone's calling it how they see it.

Old
02-24-2013, 11:56 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Not a fan of Hall, but his interview post-suspension was good, didn't whine like a lot do after their suspensions. Good for him!

Old
02-25-2013, 12:35 AM
HankieDankie

The Sharks failures are on the players and coaching staff, not the GM. He built a Stanley Cup contender for the past 5ish years, nothing more you can ask for. No team is going to be perfect at every position, every team will have some sort of fault/weakness. No one can deny that the Sharks were contenders the last few years, and IMO the GM deserves praise for that.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Tiranis

I'm just going to put this here and I might turn out wrong but people shouldn't underestimate the Flames or the Kings. Both will challenge for the playoffs and I think both will make it.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:29 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

The Flames??!! Dude, I know it should be legal, but moderation is the key.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:34 AM
dave babych returns

Kings are a no brainer for the playoffs. Calling the Flames to win a spot though, is... gutsy.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:38 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Kings are a no brainer for the playoffs. Calling the Flames to win a spot though, is... gutsy.
Should've added the caveat that it depends on when Kipper is back.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:15 AM
dave babych returns

It probably goes without saying, he's their MVP by a considerable margin in my books.

I don't know, it's far too early to say this or that team has a playoff spot locked up but I see five Western teams (us, Chicago, St Louis, Detroit, Anaheim) the Flames are quite simply worse than and another two that all things remaining the same should also be better (LA, Phoenix).

Without a run of good luck for Calgary and a (continued?) run of bad luck for Nashville or San Jose I don't see the Flames getting out ahead of them either. I also think Dallas could sustain some success, people have them as deadline sellers already but they don't have many more holes than most other mediocre teams..

That being said I could see the Flames battling for 8-10th down the stretch - which would be pretty ideal as a Canucks fan.

Old
02-25-2013, 09:31 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

I loathe Calgary, so ninth in perpetuity would be perfect.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:01 AM
ddawg1950

Bubble teams sometimes make it. But they'll have to go on a pretty interesting winning streak and have everything fall their way for themto squeak in.

Once Kipper does come back they'll ride him until he drops. And at his age, I would bet he wears down sooner than later.

Possible but not probable.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
It probably goes without saying, he's their MVP by a considerable margin in my books.

I don't know, it's far too early to say this or that team has a playoff spot locked up but I see five Western teams (us, Chicago, St Louis, Detroit, Anaheim) the Flames are quite simply worse than and another two that all things remaining the same should also be better (LA, Phoenix).

Without a run of good luck for Calgary and a (continued?) run of bad luck for Nashville or San Jose I don't see the Flames getting out ahead of them either. I also think Dallas could sustain some success, people have them as deadline sellers already but they don't have many more holes than most other mediocre teams..

That being said I could see the Flames battling for 8-10th down the stretch - which would be pretty ideal as a Canucks fan.
I think they're a better team than the Coyotes and it will be shown over the rest of the season. I think Nashville is another pretty overrated team that will come down to earth. IMO Flames make it as #7 or #8. Just based on watching them this season and how they've been adjusting to their new system. I would say goaltending has been their weakest part this whole season rather than strength like in the past.

Last edited by Tiranis: 02-25-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old
02-25-2013, 12:04 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
I think they're a better team than the Coyotes and it will be shown over the rest of the season. I think Nashville is another pretty overrated team that will come down to earth. IMO Flames make it as #7 or #8. Just based on watching them this season and how they've been adjusting to their new system. I would say goaltending has been their weakest part this whole season rather than strength like in the past.
Locks:
Vancouver
St.Louis
Chicago

Safe Bets
Anaheim
Detroit

Probable
LA
SJ

I could see it due to the fact that our division is so weak and they are fighting with Dallas, Phoenix, Nashville who are all in tough divisions.

Old
02-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Vajakki

The loser point and the statistical advantage that OT/SO games give (more of a coin flip who gets the extra point) will give an edge to teams like Phoenix and Nashville rather than Flames/Stars IMO.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Locks:
Vancouver
St.Louis
Chicago

Safe Bets
Anaheim
Detroit

Probable
LA
SJ

I could see it due to the fact that our division is so weak and they are fighting with Dallas, Phoenix, Nashville who are all in tough divisions.
I think I said this last year(the only team I said that could give us unexpected fits was LA, IIRC), but the only teams I'm really afraid of this year are St. Louis, Chicago, and Anaheim if they get good goaltending the rest of the year.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:37 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I think I said this last year(the only team I said that could give us unexpected fits was LA, IIRC), but the only teams I'm really afraid of this year are St. Louis, Chicago, and Anaheim if they get good goaltending the rest of the year.
I think our first meeting with St. Louis this year was pretty good, but we'll see how the rest are. As of right now, I don't necessarily fear them. Anaheim looks pretty good as well... did they make any roster moves? If not, I guess their (new) coach should be applauded... hmmm. And Chicago is Chicago, they'll continue to give this team nightmares.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:45 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
I think our first meeting with St. Louis this year was pretty good, but we'll see how the rest are. As of right now, I don't necessarily fear them. Anaheim looks pretty good as well... did they make any roster moves? If not, I guess their (new) coach should be applauded... hmmm. And Chicago is Chicago, they'll continue to give this team nightmares.
Anaheim really has solidified their back-end and their top guns have stepped up and took responsibility for what happened last year. Oh yeah, and solid goaltending to date.

The one thing that scares me about St. Louis is how much similar they are built like that 2011 Boston team. Not as much intimidation factor, but unreal depth and an underrated blue-line if you ask me.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:59 PM
opendoor

Regarding the Flames, they could get into the playoffs, but I wouldn't bet on it. They're still a team with 1 NHL quality natural center (2 when Backlund returns) and that's a big reason for their brutal defensive play. I don't know if Kiprusoff is going to be any kind of savior when he returns either. He's never been able to succeed when the Flames try to be a high scoring team and his performance so far was brutal.

Not to mention they have a fairly tough schedule coming up. They've already played twice as many home games as road games and they've got the following run of teams in March:

VAN
SJS
ANA
LAK
LAK
DET
NSH
DAL
NSH
CBJ
STL
CHI

If they can get through that unscathed they have a shot, but that's a tall order IMO.

Old
02-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Regarding the Flames, they could get into the playoffs, but I wouldn't bet on it. They're still a team with 1 NHL quality natural center (2 when Backlund returns) and that's a big reason for their brutal defensive play. I don't know if Kiprusoff is going to be any kind of savior when he returns either. He's never been able to succeed when the Flames try to be a high scoring team and his performance so far was brutal.

Not to mention they have a fairly tough schedule coming up. They've already played twice as many home games as road games and they've got the following run of teams in March:

VAN
SJS
ANA
LAK
LAK
DET
NSH
DAL
NSH
CBJ
STL
CHI

If they can get through that unscathed they have a shot, but that's a tall order IMO.

Calgary actually ranks 15th in Corsi % (6th in the west) and 12th in Fenwick % (again, 6th in the west) among all teams. Their underlying stats are stronger than you would think. They could make the final 2 seeds.

They are better than teams like Dallas, San Jose, Anaheim and Phoenix in this regard. This should bear itself out as their current PDO is 973 (bad luck), which should regress to 1000 as we progress here.

Last edited by Bleach Clean: 02-25-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old
02-25-2013, 02:50 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

I can't see them getting 6 wins from that lot.

Closed Thread