HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hurricanes/Whalers all time all star team

Old
02-15-2013, 08:27 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

vCash: 500
Hurricanes/Whalers all time all star team

Taking all the players that played for the franchise, make the best 4 lines and 3 defensive pairings you can. The all-time all-star team.

Note: you can't move players from their most common position (i.e. can't make Ronnie Francis a winger).

Ron Francis
Eric Staal
Pat Verbeek
Ray Whitney
Jeff O'Neill
Mark Recchi
Cam Ward
Erik Cole
Kevin Dineen
Mark Howe
Glen Wesley
Alexander Semin
Arturs Irbe
Doug Weight
Sean Burke
Chris Pronger
Gordie Howe
Mike Liut
Jordan Staal
Jeff Skinner
John Cullen
Kieth Primeau
Paul Coffey

etc etc!

All players are in their PRIME.
Who makes the cut at what position?

Last edited by ChuckW: 02-15-2013 at 08:35 PM.
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:33 PM
GIN ANTONIC

I think you need to qualify a certain number of games played. Also where the **** is Jeff O'Neill?

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:35 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIN ANTONIC View Post
I think you need to qualify a certain number of games played. Also where the **** is Jeff O'Neill?
Fixed.

Players that played at least 1 full season as Whalers/Canes. (exemptions for Semin & J. Staal - they have an established body of work with prior teams)

Old
02-15-2013, 08:36 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
Best that played for the franchise?

Bobby Hull - Dave Keon - Gordie Howe (line that actually could have happened in the Whales first NHL season)
Pat Verbeek - Ron Francis - Eric Staal
Gary Roberts - Doug Weight - Jeff O'Neill
Bobby Holik - Rod Brind'Amour - Kevin Dineen
Ray Whitney, Justin Williams

Chris Pronger - Paul Coffey
Mark Howe - Glen Wesley
Ulf Samuelsson - Steve Chiasson
Kevin Hatcher

Cam Ward
Mike Liut
Arturs Irbe

Dat Shutdown Line

and yeah, Ward over Irbe and Liut despite the results of the HoH project

Last edited by DaveG: 02-15-2013 at 08:42 PM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:48 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

I don't know much about Keon, but him over Ron Francis for #1 center?!

Old
02-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
I don't know much about Keon, but him over Ron Francis for #1 center?!
Keon is a hall of famer who was actually a lot like Francis before Francis, but I'm putting Ronnie on my first line. Of course I've worn number 10 my whole life for a reason...

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:02 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

I'd love to see more of people's choices.

I won't make my own because of my own peculiarities I'd have to stick weird players on the team.

Erik Cole and John Cullen would be on my team. And the goalie would probably be Frank Pieterangelo.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

Sylvain Turgeon? Blaine Stoughton? Tough to leave either one off if you ask me.

Roboturner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Joe McGrath

I'd just like to point out that I'd prefer an all-star team based on their time with the team but ill do this anyway

Bobby Hull - RonFrancis - Gordie Howe (Franicis setting up those two?)
Geoff Sanderson - Eric Staal - Alex Semin
Gary Roberts - Dave Keon - Kevin Dineen
Bobby Holik - Rod Brind Amour - Sami Kapanen

Paul Coffey - Mark Howe
Glen Wesley - Chris Pronger (shut down)
Ulf Samuelsson - Brad Macrimmon

Mike Liut
Cam Ward
Sean Burke

Old
02-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
Sylvain Turgeon? Blaine Stoughton? Tough to leave either one off if you ask me.
Stoughton made Skinner look like a Selke nominee.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:42 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
Keon is a hall of famer who was actually a lot like Francis before Francis, but I'm putting Ronnie on my first line. Of course I've worn number 10 my whole life for a reason...
Exactly. I have no problem with people preferring Ronnie over Keon either, I do myself, only reason I have those 3 together like that is because all 3 were on the team at the same time. Same reason I have Ronnie with Verbeek and Staal, he played with both in real life at times.

Semin vs O'Neill and Dineen vs Jordan Staal are going to be two interesting debates at the end of the year. Nobody on D that close to cracking that top 6 any time soon, though Faulk could have the potential to do so eventually.

Forgot that McCrimmon played for us, he'd probably top Hatcher as my #7, or maybe Rick Ley.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

Quote:
Stoughton made Skinner look like a Selke nominee.
Ray Whitney didn't play much defense either, but Stoughton scored like 200 goals in 4 years. Who else is even close to that?

Old
02-15-2013, 10:23 PM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

Quote:
I won't make my own because of my own peculiarities I'd have to stick weird players on the team.
One of my favorite players was Adam Burt, I'd probably put him on there. Andrew Cassels too.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:55 PM
geehaad

The only time I saw Kevin Hatcher play was in 00-01, and that guy was terrislow. I'm guessing he was super keen with the Penguins...? Clearly "in their prime" has bearing here, but from I witnessed, I wouldn't want that guy on *this* year's team.

Also, is it just me, or do y'all ever watch 1980s video and think that the goaltending is just flat awful by today's standards? The forward and defensive play seem to not so far off, but the goaltending...looks like those guys are 50 years old under those masks.

Last edited by geehaad: 02-15-2013 at 11:00 PM.
geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

It's like different eras in most sports.. you can't really compare because it's unfair. Going best canes/whalers players of those times and now is the only way to make this all star team.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 05:42 AM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
One of my favorite players was Adam Burt, I'd probably put him on there. Andrew Cassels too.
I was never a huge fan of Burt (although I had nothing against the guy either). Agree with you on Cassels.

The reason I like John Cullen so much was that the team was pretty bad when he was on it yet he did a lot of inspirational things.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:24 AM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
The only time I saw Kevin Hatcher play was in 00-01, and that guy was terrislow. I'm guessing he was super keen with the Penguins...? Clearly "in their prime" has bearing here, but from I witnessed, I wouldn't want that guy on *this* year's team.

Also, is it just me, or do y'all ever watch 1980s video and think that the goaltending is just flat awful by today's standards? The forward and defensive play seem to not so far off, but the goaltending...looks like those guys are 50 years old under those masks.
See not sure I agree with that. The top goalies (Liut, Barrasso, Vernon, Fuhr, Moog, Smith, Beezer, Roy, Ranford, Hextall, Lindbergh) would be starters in the 90s as well had they been around then. It's when you get beyond that first tier that the depth really starts to disappear. But the depth dmen of the 80s was flat out paltry compared to now. It's funny is that stretch also had a lot of the best individual dmen of all time making defense in the 80s seem better then it was. But the systems used and the overall quality of dman after that top tier doesn't even come close to what we're seeing in the league right now or in the 90s for the most part.

Won't argue the forwards, but the defense was even worse then the goaltending in the 80s.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Ray Whitney didn't play much defense either, but Stoughton scored like 200 goals in 4 years. Who else is even close to that?
I'm not saying Stoughton didn't have an insane 4 year run offensively, I was just giving a reason why some might not include him, especially since this team includes guys like Hull and Howe. If we were going based on time with the team, Stoughton is in the my top 6.

Also I omitted Shanahan because he's a ******, but he probably should be on everyone's team(if he wasn't such a ******)

Old
02-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post

Hatchers best years were with the Capitals. He scored 35 goals one year and was a consistent offensive producer most of his career. He was never fast, but the version the Canes wound up with was ungodly slow.

The goaltending in the early 80s was largely terrible. It got better towards the end of the decade as the equipment started getting lighter.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:05 AM
geehaad

Yeah, I was referring to early 80s, mostly playoff hockey. The goalies certainly did not make the net look small...

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:14 AM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

Quote:
I'm not saying Stoughton didn't have an insane 4 year run offensively, I was just giving a reason why some might not include him, especially since this team includes guys like Hull and Howe. If we were going based on time with the team, Stoughton is in the my top 6.

Also I omitted Shanahan because he's a ******, but he probably should be on everyone's team(if he wasn't such a ******)
True, he'd certainly replace either Verbeek (most likely) or O'Neill, guy was a true asshat when it came to this franchise though. At least Coffey was decent enough to not be a dick in his second stint here.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Roboturner913
Bros Before Ahos

Quote:
I was never a huge fan of Burt (although I had nothing against the guy either).
It was like '98 and I took my 10-year-old nephew to a game against the Stars, it was bad, 4-0 Stars after the first and something like 6-1 or 7-1 final IIRC.

Anyway, my nephew had a few hockey cards he wanted to get signed so we were hanging out afterward hoping to catch a couple players. Burt comes out and immediately comes right up and says hello and thanks for coming and signs the stuff. Then he goes "you know what, I can do something better for you than that, wait here" and comes out a few minutes later with Kapanen, Ranheim, Robert Kron, Steve Halko and I think Curtis Leschyshyn (sp?) in tow, one of his sticks and a couple t-shirts and they all sign everything and we just hung out talking.

I think they were just so flattered to see that someone cared even after a beatdown like that, IIRC Burt had fought Grant Marshall and got tagged good a couple times so I wouldn't blame him for just wanting to go home and put some ice on his face but instead he sat outside and talked to a 10-year-old little boy for half an hour, just because he could.

One of the genuinely nicest things I've ever seen an athlete do, and I've been a sportswriter for almost 15 years.