HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL GMs hunt for Valentine’s Day clues

Old
02-14-2013, 09:02 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
NHL GMs hunt for Valentine’s Day clues

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...day_clues.html

Quote:
NHL general managers’ phones are starting to ring a bit more often. The texts are coming quicker.

Sure, it has a little bit to do with an emerging market for goaltenders after injuries in Toronto (James Reimer) Winnipeg (Ondrej Pavelec), St. Louis (Jaroslav Halak) and Calgary (Miikka Kiprusoff).

It has more to do with where teams find themselves after one-quarter of the season, and whether they can trust what they’ve seen of their teams given the lack of a proper training camp.

“It’s a different year,” said Leafs GM Dave Nonis. “There wasn’t a lot of time for systems work, no pre-season games. For a lot of guys, it’s like training camp is (just over). Now we’re into the sprint.”

In a typical NHL season, general managers circle U.S. Thanksgiving as the date by which they know whether they have a playoff team or a turkey. That date is roughly the 20-game mark in an 82-game season.

This year, GMs have had to figure out just how much they love their teams by Valentine’s Day, as most are just passing the 12-game point in a 48-game schedule.

“This year, it’s going to be a little bit different,” said Nonis. “You’re looking on a short-term basis. You’re looking game-to-game right now. You don’t have as many opportunities to gain ground or make some up. Right now teams are looking at three- or four-game stretches as opposed to 10- or 15-game stretches.”
Quote:
The trade deadline is April 3, typically the busiest day for player moves, but the new collective agreement includes provisions that could spur more deals well before the deadline. The Maple Leafs have already used the ability to retain salary to send Matthew Lombardi to Phoenix.

Some teams may also be looking at unloading salary before next year, the first year in which the salary cap actually goes down (to $65 million). Then there’s the fact that because it’s all inter-conference play and a short season, some teams may not feel they’re out of the playoff race by the time April 3 rolls around.

“Teams want to win this year,” said Nonis. “Some rules go out the window when you’re looking at trying to put together a winner and worry about the consequences the following summer.”

As for the Leafs, Nonis doesn’t see straying from the current building-through-youth path.

“We have to look and see what we’re looking like in the stretch,” said Nonis. “Our focus is going to be the same regardless. It’s going to be long-term focus on this team. Making sure this team is healthy long term.”

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:12 AM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywiz542 View Post
“We have to look and see what we’re looking like in the stretch,” said Nonis. “Our focus is going to be the same regardless. It’s going to be long-term focus on this team. Making sure this team is healthy long term.”

Hoping he sticks to this...... (ie. No Luongo in Leaf's future)

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:31 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Nonis has claimed he has patience and we will see if that holds true..

To date he has not strayed from that path, and has given Leafs youth an opportunity to play and has accepted the consequences of those actions.

Nonis has vets he can move (if possible) in Liles, Komisarek, Steckel, MacArthur etc and continue building with youth and from within.

Ryan O'Reilly in Colorado with the Avalanche exploring trade options is one area I believe Nonis should be proactively and aggressively exploring as it fits with the current plan. 22 year old Ontario kid that plays a solid 2-way game and possesses character and leadership at a young age, would be a great fit in Toronto.

02-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

To date he has not strayed from that path, and has given Leafs youth an opportunity to play and has accepted the consequences of those actions.

Nonis has vets he can move (if possible) in Liles, Komisarek, Steckel, MacArthur etc and continue building with youth and from within.

Ryan O'Reilly in Colorado with the Avalanche exploring trade options is one area I believe Nonis should be proactively and aggressively exploring as it fits with the current plan. 22 year old Ontario kid that plays a solid 2-way game and possesses character and leadership at a young age, would be a great fit in Toronto.
Exactly.

He'd be a piece to the puzzle. He certainly won't be the final piece, but IMO if it takes Gardiner, then we'll be trading from an area of strength. None of our prospects save for Rielly should be untouchable. Gardiner for O'Reilly will be a good hockey trade for both parties.

Colorado needs a blue chip D man to build their D around. Currently they have no one who fits the mould of a PP QB.

Toronto does not have C in their system with O'Reilly's skillset. He can shut down opposition's top players and I think he has more offense in him. He's a Travis Zajac with more offense, which is amazing.

02-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

I think Nonis will get a good backup if Reimer's injury is gonna keep him out for about 10 or more games. Scrivens was pretty solid before the Islanders game, so I've got some confidence in him. As long as we play a little tighter on defence, and limit the quality chances, we should be fine until Reimer's return.

Need a good backup for insurance though. If Scrivens goes down for some reason, or struggles, we will have to overpay for a tender or roll the dice on Rynnas.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:50 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Exactly.

He'd be a piece to the puzzle. He certainly won't be the final piece, but IMO if it takes Gardiner, then we'll be trading from an area of strength. None of our prospects save for Rielly should be untouchable. Gardiner for O'Reilly will be a good hockey trade for both parties.

Colorado needs a blue chip D man to build their D around. Currently they have no one who fits the mould of a PP QB.

Toronto does not have C in their system with O'Reilly's skillset. He can shut down opposition's top players and I think he has more offense in him. He's a Travis Zajac with more offense, which is amazing.
Good offensive young defence men are hard to come by. We have one NHL one and one that is a year away. I'm not sure that would be a wise move. In a year from now Gardiners value would be even higher. Should focus on other prospects and not over pay. I would like ROR but not at the cost of Gardiner.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:54 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 4 - 3

Quote:
Exactly.

Gardiner is an overpayment, IMO. The Av's have no leverage here.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:01 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Gardiner is an overpayment, IMO. The Av's have no leverage here.
I agree completely. I would look at guys like Blacker and other prospects that are ready to take the next step. Unless Col is willing to part with one of their first round pics and a good prospect I don't think many teams will be offering a ton.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Darcy Tucker

I think Holzers value is sky high right now and could land us a nice return. He's playing so well but we just have too many serviceable dmen. Need to make room for Gunnarsson and Gardiner when they are back to full speed.

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
I agree completely. I would look at guys like Blacker and other prospects that are ready to take the next step. Unless Col is willing to part with one of their first round pics and a good prospect I don't think many teams will be offering a ton.
Avs apparently want a roster player and a good young prospect or high pick according to TSN insiders.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:01 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
I think Holzers value is sky high right now and could land us a nice return. He's playing so well but we just have too many serviceable dmen. Need to make room for Gunnarsson and Gardiner when they are back to full speed.
4 good games from Holzer and you think his value is sky high right now? Wow.

We should keep Holzer. Like Mess said, its the veterans we should be looking to move if the deal is right (Liles, Komisarek, Steckel, MacArthur)

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:07 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 4 - 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
4 good games from Holzer and you think his value is sky high right now? Wow.

We should keep Holzer. Like Mess said, its the veterans we should be looking to move if the deal is right (Liles, Komisarek, Steckel, MacArthur)
Moving the Vets is obvious but the return will be minimal. You won't get ROR.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
Bozak, McKegg and Percy for O'Reilly.

No moving Gardiner.

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:08 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Moving the Vets is obvious but the return will be minimal. You won't get ROR.
Absolutely. I can't speak for others but if we're talking RoR then, yea, I am thinking long and hard about a potential Gardiner/RoR deal. Just seems like a solid hockey trade for both teams imo. I'd also consider trading a 1st + Gunnarsson for RoR + something small if we look like a playoff team come April. Maybe recoup a pick or two by shipping out some vets (Mac & Steckel)

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:13 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

The leafs need to find a way to get a center. Plain and simple. I've said it from the start, Reimer (in the right system) is an average starting goaltender in this league. Really all you need.

Florida
Washington
Winnipeg
Calgary
Colorado
Ottawa (with injuries)
Buffalo
Columbus

all seem to be teams that are in worse shape then us (this season), and are almost guaranteed to finish below (baring major trades). This basically indicates that the year in which a top line center could be drafted will effectively pass us by. At this time Ryan O'Rielly is as good as it gets for patch work via trade at the center position while staying young and building towards the future which can help us to avoid hoping for another miracle in unrestricted free agency that once again passes us by. Nonis cant let this rare opportunity slip through his fingers. We need to acquire ROR and do whatever it takes. If it means Gardiner + (1st caliber prospect) then sign the paper work. With Erik Johnson out to concussions i feel that the avalanche are essentially kissing this season good bye.

Nonis (IMO) needs to do what ever it takes to acquire him.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Action Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Bozak, McKegg and Percy for O'Reilly.

No moving Gardiner.
That's a lowball offer.

I don't even see ROR coming to Toronto but realistically i'd imagine negotations would have to start with Gardiner/Rielly, Bozak, and a 2nd. I just don't see why the Avs would move ROR over Statsny, seems like a bad move on the GM's part if he does end up going somewhere.

Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:37 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Avs apparently want a roster player and a good young prospect or high pick according to TSN insiders.
frattin + finn

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:50 PM
david999

Bozak + Franson + Colborne. This helps the Avs with what they need. ROR is a good player, not elite. If the Leafs consider moving Gardner (which they shouldn't ) it would have to be in a package for an elite-type player.

david999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:54 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Exactly.

I believe this team has the foundation to be good in Kessel, Gardiner, JVR, Rielly, Kadri and Frattin taking from that foundation to add ROR as good as he is seems like a lateral move.

IF Kulemin can be packaged however that to me is a move worth looking at.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:56 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
Bozak + Franson + Colborne. This helps the Avs with what they need. ROR is a good player, not elite. If the Leafs consider moving Gardner (which they shouldn't ) it would have to be in a package for an elite-type player.
than next year ,kessel goes to the Avs to join up with his buddy bozak

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
Not bad...doubt if the Avs can do any better. Wild cards are that Bozak is UFA next year and whether ROR demands fit into Leafs salary structure. Would need to resolve those before striking this deal.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:

I don't think ROR brings much to this team it doesn't already have. Sure, he'd be better than Bozak in the #1 slot...but who do you trade from the Leafs?

It seems the players being mentioned are Gardiner plus someone else.

I think Gardiner+Bozak is a bit steep for ROR alone.

Trading Gardiner also means you put 100% stock in Rielly as a can't miss prospect, and ready to make the team next year.

There was a time too, when people thought Pogge was just as good, if not better than T. Rask too. Don't want to make that mistake again.

If we are indeed trading Gardiner or Kadri...save them in a package for a true #1. I don't consider ROR a true #1C. He's more a 2C or a 3C...with Bozak, Grabovski, and Kadri...Connolly in the minors...Colborne progressing, and McClement all but assured at least a 4th line role, and Steckel in the box..we have plenty of guys who are 2-3 tweeners.

Last edited by Pierre Gotye: 02-14-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:31 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

i keep saying this trade and it seems like most fans are in favour of it and it makes sense (considering avs have no leverage) bozak+percy/finn+condition3rd (2nd if bozak doesn't resign)

pooleboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Did someone just post we should deal Rielly, first to get ROR...Thats insanity beyond measure....

Rielly is a #1D and the first is a blue chip prospect

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:32 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup67 View Post
than next year ,kessel goes to the Avs to join up with his buddy bozak
i doubt it, because it seems like he like playing with lupul more

pooleboy is online now   Reply With Quote