HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bennett recalled again on 4/7

Old
02-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I think it's fine that BB starts on the 3rd line.

I'm just laughing at the fact that we finally have some "skilled" RHS on the team, and they're all on the same line.
Yeah that is definitely funny. I'm looking forward to seeing Bennett play. I predict a dangle around big Buff.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:19 PM
thecore

That third line is just horrible chemistry wise in my opinion. You have TK, who hasn't shown the slightest ability to adapt to playing with a RH centerman in Sutter. You have Sutter, who plays a simple offensive game, but prefers to pass. And then you have Bennett, who has a decent shot but is a pass first guy used to playing RW, who is going to be a LW in Sutter's wheelhouse. And you have no puck retriever.

I don't feel starting Beau on the third line is a horrible thing. I think starting him on THIS third line is a horrible thing.

I honestly think DB only put Tangradi in the top 6 because Shero told him to. Hopefully Bennett somehow plays well enough out of position and out of role to force DB's hand. If he does, it might mean he's a special player. He's up against a lot.

thecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

The reactionary meltdowns if Tangradi scores tonight and Bennett doesn't are going to be painful.

Polaris Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:22 PM
wej20

Hasn't Bennett playing mostly LW in WBS?

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:26 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
The reactionary meltdowns if Tangradi scores tonight and Bennett doesn't are going to be painful.
I am now hoping this to happen. It would be hilarious.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:28 PM
thecore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Perhaps, I saw him a few times in college and he was always RW. If so, I stand corrected on that.

thecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Yeah I think he has.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, I do want Tangradi to score just for the hilarity of it.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:32 PM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Is MAF starting? He is the "hood rat" that every young NHLer use to pop their cherry.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:33 PM
FDBluth

Bennett will start on the third line, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him shuffled in with either Sid or Malkin or the 2nd PP unit (if it ever sees the ice).

First and foremost, they need to test him out to see if he can handle the speed of the NHL. The third line is fine to do that.

Patience, young grasshoppers.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:38 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
No, they just deserve better than Tyler Freaking Kennedy.
After a dozen games? Hardly.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Sager
U talkin to me punk?

I'm sure Jeffrey's real happy that he's being given the honor of being a scratch again so that a rookie can be rewarded for a 35 game performance. I also find it ironic that the day after Tangradi leaves, Boychuck is given up on. And the spot that would have been his just happened to open up for the taking

Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:45 PM
Hophog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Is MAF starting? He is the "hood rat" that every young NHLer use to pop their cherry.
I was thinking the same thing. Luckily he already has his first NHL goal though. Although I'm sure MAF isn't apposed to giving a young struggling player his first NHL goal of the season.

After the last player scored his first NHL goal of the season on us I was wondering if there is anyway to find out which team has given up the most "1st goals". The Pens gotta be up there. I shudder everytime I hear Steiggy say someone is looking for their first goal in the NHL b/c I know they will inevitably get it before the end of the game and it seems like they typically do. Does anyone know which team has given up the most "1st NHL goals" over the past 5 or so years? I'd be surprised if there was a stat out there but I'm always amazed how some of you guys manage to find the answers to these types of questions.

Hophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sager View Post
I'm sure Jeffrey's real happy that he's being given the honor of being a scratch again so that a rookie can be rewarded for a 35 game performance. I also find it ironic that the day after Tangradi leaves, Boychuck is given up on. And the spot that would have been his just happened to open up for the taking
So much wrong with this post.

1. I'm sure Dustin Jeffrey is really happy, he's makes some decent money and he's on an NHL team, this certain team is trying to figure out his role while trying other things to make the team the best it can be. If he has a problem with that, he can ask for a trade, no indication that he's done so yet, so he must not be too worried about it.

2. Boychuk isn't given up on, Bennett just joined the team, somebody has to sit to give Bennett a look, the top 6 is Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis, Cooke-Malkin-Neal. Kennedy is a regular on this team so I don't expect him to sit in favor of Boychuk AND Bennett.

It's Bylsma's job to find out what works best for the team, he can't put all 13 forward and 7 defensemen on the ice so the players can be "happy", players get scratched, Bennett wasn't going to sit in the press box, is it wrong for someone to sit for a game or more while you audition your top forward prospect? I don't think so.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:00 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sager View Post
Yeah... sorta lost in all of this Bennett/Tangradi hubbub is Dustin Jeffrey.

What's that guy gotta be thinking right now?

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:10 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, I do want Tangradi to score just for the hilarity of it.
He could score a hat trick for all I care.

I would still be willing to bet real money that AFTER his hat trick, that he doesn't score 3 goals again the rest of the season.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Yeah... sorta lost in all of this Bennett/Tangradi hubbub is Dustin Jeffrey.

What's that guy gotta be thinking right now?
He's probably asking why does he suck bad and why is he so injury prone? He's been given opportunities in the past but besides a small stretch of games, continues to look like a fringe NHL player. The pens don't have a lot of depth, if he can't make it here, he's not going to make many teams.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:20 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
He's probably asking why does he suck bad and why is he so injury prone? He's been given opportunities in the past but besides a small stretch of games, continues to look like a fringe NHL player. The pens don't have a lot of depth, if he can't make it here, he's not going to make many teams.
The Penguins do indeed have very little depth. Particularly skilled depth. That's why his constant demotions/limited playing time make little sense, to me. Jeffrey isn't exactly some sort of hidden powerhouse just waiting to break out... but he sure seems a heck of a lot better than the recently departed Tangradi and the likely-soon-to-be-departed Boychuk. Bonus: He's an ace in the circle.

He's one of those players you wouldn't be devastated to see moved but, until something better is figured out, represents an in-house upgrade over at least several players who get many more minutes a night than he does. I also don't really see all of these opportunities he's been given.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:23 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
The Penguins do indeed have very little depth. Particularly skilled depth. That's why his constant demotions/limited playing time make little sense, to me. Jeffrey isn't exactly some sort of hidden powerhouse just waiting to break out... but he sure seems a heck of a lot better than the recently departed Tangradi and the likely-soon-to-be-departed Boychuk. Bonus: He's an ace in the circle.

He's one of those players you wouldn't be devastated to see moved but, until something better is figured out, represents an in-house upgrade over at least several players who get many more minutes a night than he does. I also don't really see all of these opportunities he's been given.
The problem with Jeffery is he's a good 2/3rd center, but we have too many of those. He's not a very good wing, nor is he particularly suited to playing the 4C.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:28 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

He's certainly a better pivot than wing... but I thought one of the best games the second line played ES this year was with Jeffrey riding shotgun on that line. His biggest advantage over many players on the roster is simple -- his brain. I think with his smarts, he'd adapt to the wing position much, much faster than others would... provided a little patience and consistency was shown with him.

Again... I'm not sitting here pretending Dustin Jeffrey is a 60 or 70 point player just waiting to break out but not being given the chance. I just think he's a better player than his PT would indicate and that he could easily handle a bigger role on the team if he were allowed. That is... until an actual solution is found.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Hophog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
He could score a hat trick for all I care.

I would still be willing to bet real money that AFTER his hat trick, that he doesn't score 3 goals again the rest of the season.
Scoring isn't what concerns me. What will really irritate me is if he finally finds his physical game and uses his god given size. I'm guessing he might find that edge we've been waiting for too considering he's going against the Pens tonight. Our luck it will be to injure BB since I'm sure he'll be more "comfortable" going after him.

Hophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Sager
U talkin to me punk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Post #289
Of course he won't askfor a trade. It's not his type. I'm not sure if Shero asked Jeffrey if he wanted out, but if he did and Jeffrey knew he was getting benched over a rookie, I think he would want a chance elsewhere. He is indeed a team player and would never ask for one though.

And I wouldn't call this move an audition. Auditions and tryouts are for training camps and preseasons. Beau was chosen over Jeffrey. And not only that, he'll be starting on a defensive line, something he clearly isn't suited for. And also unlike Jeffrey, Beau doesn't have to sit in the press box. He can go back to first line minutes in the A.

I'm stoked for Beau's future, but thus isn't the time or place for him

Sager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:36 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Please don't tempt fate.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:44 PM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
The problem with Jeffery is he's a good 2/3rd center, but we have too many of those. He's not a very good wing, nor is he particularly suited to playing the 4C.
Jeffrey is a good number 2 center? In the NHL? I assume you mean AHL.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:51 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hophog View Post
Scoring isn't what concerns me. What will really irritate me is if he finally finds his physical game and uses his god given size. I'm guessing he might find that edge we've been waiting for too considering he's going against the Pens tonight. Our luck it will be to injure BB since I'm sure he'll be more "comfortable" going after him.
Last time he used his size was against the Islanders in the brawl game. Ran over two Islanders, and then the attack happened.

Haven't seen him come close to running anyone over since, and it's inexcusable for someone his size.

Had he even done THAT, he may still have been on this team.