HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bennett recalled again on 4/7

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2013, 08:19 PM
  #601
Al Smith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Disastrous offseason by trading Staal (not Shero's fault), giving away Michalek, not replacing Sullivan, actually thinking Tangradi could play in the top 6, drafting a defenseman with the 8th overall pick and waiving Strait. (Not in the offseason, but close enough)

How was this offseason not a disaster? I know her pursued Parise. But he failed to sign him. Shero should have realized Parise wasn't going to sign with the pens and move on. Plan B: Shane Doan. Shero was passed over twice. I'm glad he tried to sign these guys, but damn.
I don't know if it was disastrous, but I think the team is weaker without [a motivated and consistent] Staal and a healthy Michalek. I'm not sure what else could be done with Strait. I'm sure Shero tried to trade him, but didn't have any takers.

I don't think anyone had a realistic chance to pry Doan out of the desert, unless the team moved, or unless someone was willing to pay way too much. In his late thirties, on a pretty good team where he's played for a long time, why would he want to move from Phoenix to Detroit, Pittsburgh, Philly, or New York unless he got a huge bump in salary.

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:27 PM
  #602
Fire Shero*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche Zone Play View Post
You mean aside from work hard in the offseason to add strength/speed, excel in the early part of his pro career (top 10 in rookie scoring when called up), and not look out of place playing 10 minutes a night in a top 9 role? His physicality has been a total surprise - he is more willing to paste guys than almost any other Pen. He's had the puck roll off his stick a few times but those nerves will be gone soon enough.
He could stay on the third line that's fine. He will get 3 weeks to show what he can do with Geno. I'm not expecting much, but I hope he proves me wrong. I want him to succeed. It just seems like a huge jump to go from missing a bunch of games at Denver to playing with Geno effing Malkin. I just don't want the pens to rush him, he is the first good looking forward prospect since Staal

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:29 PM
  #603
WhatsaMaatta
Registered User
 
WhatsaMaatta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Nope. Bennett has done nothing to warrant a top 6 role thus far.
Bennett's been playing a hard nosed, reliable game while showing very good vision in the limited ice time he's had. He's done all the right things- everything a guy like Bylsma would ask of him- to get a chance at the top six. What does ye have to do? Do you want him to light the world on fire playing limited minutes with Sutter?

And all of your crap about Shero is unwarranted given 1 his track record to make smart moves that improve the team and 2 the fact that you have not a clue what happened in the offseason regarding any free agent/trade opportunities. The Staal trade hasn't had time to settle yet, losing Michalek is a non-issue, and the Pens still have plenty of cap space to work with. But, again, the moves that Shero has made that HAVE settled, improve this team the vast majority of the time. You have no facts and only conjecture to support your argument.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:39 PM
  #604
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYOrpik View Post
Bennett's been playing a hard nosed, reliable game while showing very good vision in the limited ice time he's had. He's done all the right things- everything a guy like Bylsma would ask of him- to get a chance at the top six. What does ye have to do? Do you want him to light the world on fire playing limited minutes with Sutter?

And all of your crap about Shero is unwarranted given 1 his track record to make smart moves that improve the team and 2 the fact that you have not a clue what happened in the offseason regarding any free agent/trade opportunities. The Staal trade hasn't had time to settle yet, losing Michalek is a non-issue, and the Pens still have plenty of cap space to work with. But, again, the moves that Shero has made that HAVE settled, improve this team the vast majority of the time. You have no facts and only conjecture to support your argument.
Bennett also has a point in 3 of his last 4 games. He's improving a bit each game and is looking more and more like a legit NHL winger.

Not sure why you guys are still replying to all of his increasingly negative posts though, they've pushed past troll level at this point

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:46 PM
  #605
WhatsaMaatta
Registered User
 
WhatsaMaatta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Bennett also has a point in 3 of his last 4 games. He's improving a bit each game and is looking more and more like a legit NHL winger.

Not sure why you guys are still replying to all of his increasingly negative posts though, they've pushed past troll level at this point
It he was GM, we'd have the greatest stockpile of wingers ever. . . And my username would be No Centers.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:49 PM
  #606
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYOrpik View Post
It he was GM, we'd have the greatest stockpile of wingers ever. . . And my username would be No Centers.
Bizzaro-HF!

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:58 PM
  #607
TheGoldenJet
Registered User
 
TheGoldenJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Bennett also has a point in 3 of his last 4 games. He's improving a bit each game and is looking more and more like a legit NHL winger.

Not sure why you guys are still replying to all of his increasingly negative posts though, they've pushed past troll level at this point
Troll or not, he is correct in stating that the Pens still need a legitimate top 6 winger. Bennett or no Bennett.

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:00 PM
  #608
WhatsaMaatta
Registered User
 
WhatsaMaatta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenJet View Post
Troll or not, he is correct in stating that the Pens still need a legitimate top 6 winger. Bennett or no Bennett.
I don't think many people are arguing that, but it's not like Shero's been sitting in his office with his thumb up his ass.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:07 PM
  #609
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenJet View Post
Troll or not, he is correct in stating that the Pens still need a legitimate top 6 winger. Bennett or no Bennett.
True, but when all you do is post the same complaint over and over after everyone keeps asking for his (or her) input then it gets kind of annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYOrpik View Post
I don't think many people are arguing that, but it's not like Shero's been sitting in his office with his thumb up his ass.
Exactly. Shero and his staff are doing their due diligence whereas we just throw out every trade idea we can dream up

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:23 PM
  #610
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,293
vCash: 500
I'm still not entirely convinced that Bennett can bring what this line needs, or that his own ability can shine through if he performs the role a LW on that line should.... but then again, nothing ventured nothing gained.

There should be some pretty plays there, and probably Malkin won't think.... "Sunshine not have skill, Geno no pass." .

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:37 PM
  #611
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White
 
IcedCapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I'm still not entirely convinced that Bennett can bring what this line needs, or that his own ability can shine through if he performs the role a LW on that line should.... but then again, nothing ventured nothing gained.

There should be some pretty plays there, and probably Malkin won't think.... "Sunshine not have skill, Geno no pass." .
I think it's basically a 1-month trial. Shero won't stop scouring the trade market, but nothing is out there anyhow. May as well see what the kid can do until things heat up.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:41 PM
  #612
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,761
vCash: 500
Wow people really think a top 6 winger is the biggest need? Have you watched the games over the past two weeks? How about a top 4 d-man or some grit on the third or fourth line before considering a top 6 winger.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:44 PM
  #613
Fire Shero*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
How am I trolling? Because most of you disagree with me? Sorry, I just haven't seen a lot from Dangles to justify playing him in the top 6. Again, it's because the pens have no other options.

I will shut up now, I hope beau tears it up.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:46 PM
  #614
Griffin6612
Registered User
 
Griffin6612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,077
vCash: 500
I dont see why were still chasing a top 6 Winger. (likea really top tier one) We just need another Kunitz. We score tons of goals as it is, but our defense sucks. WE have no one who clears the crease, and no tough Dmen any more.

Griffin6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:02 PM
  #615
TheSniper26
No cure for being...
 
TheSniper26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Youngstown
Country: United States
Posts: 2,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
True, but when all you do is post the same complaint over and over after everyone keeps asking for his (or her) input then it gets kind of annoying.
To be fair, NoWingers is far from the only poster making the exact same complaint over and over again. How many times have we heard "stretch pass" in the last several weeks? The "Fire Bylsma" crowd has been just as relentless.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:02 PM
  #616
SCPens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
Disastrous offseason by trading Staal (not Shero's fault), giving away Michalek, not replacing Sullivan, actually thinking Tangradi could play in the top 6, drafting a defenseman with the 8th overall pick and waiving Strait. (Not in the offseason, but close enough)

How was this offseason not a disaster? I know her pursued Parise. But he failed to sign him. Shero should have realized Parise wasn't going to sign with the pens and move on. Plan B: Shane Doan. Shero was passed over twice. I'm glad he tried to sign these guys, but damn.
You have no concept as to how Shero is respected around the NHL. He offered Staal the opportunity of a lifetime with a rumoured 10 year, $58 mill deal and he turned it down for the opportunity to play with his brother, and in a more prominent role. Rutherford gave us a respectful hockey deal because of how Shero deals with people. Michalek wasn't working here, Shero went to him in the offseason (as he did Martin) as asked him what he wanted to do - stay or trade him. He may very well have said that his family loved it in Phoenix and would like the opportunity to go back. Sully was the reason we weren't going to beat anyone deep into the playoffs. TOO small - a great regular season guy but when the going got grinding, he's not the right type of player. Tangradi was an asset that the organization HAD to give a shot to just to see what they had. I have NO idea how you and your crystal ball can project anything into Pouliot's future - everything he's done this year (other than being injured) has shown him to be a very promising prospect. And as far as waiving Strait goes, get over it! Look at the other d-men (aka Hickey) being waived after being drafted what - 4th overall or something!?! You have NO idea what the market is like. Too many smart hockey people out there - you have to give to get! Shero's HUNTING for a winger, I can feel it. Parise was a perfect example. And they still have cap space, and quite a bit of it. If you can't respect how Shero manages then that's up to you. But I feel MUCH more confident with this regime than the last.

SCPens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:08 PM
  #617
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Wow people really think a top 6 winger is the biggest need? Have you watched the games over the past two weeks? How about a top 4 d-man or some grit on the third or fourth line before considering a top 6 winger.
If a top 6 forward contributes to Geno's line dominating ES, that in turn will mean less pressure on the defense.

It is easy to see that we score enough goals and allow too many, but whereas I agree that we must do something to cut down on the latter, I simply don't believe that it is first and foremost a personnel issue on defense. It is much more a team D issue.

However, I am also on the record since before the season began that Niskanen is not the right fit, because he shouldn't play with Letang, he is not fit for a shut down pairing and while surely a difference maker on a third pairing, that is not there we need him, as we have others coming in to own such spots. So, if he was replaced by a player who brings more of the qualities we are short on, that would be a benefit. Then that player is either one to play with Letang and solidify that pairing and the PK or we give Despres a real chance at that and play this new guy with Engelland. For the short term, I would absolutely play Despres-Letang and Niskanen-Engelland. Simply to check if Despres can carry that, or if we need to make a deadline deal.

As much as we moan about Brooks, we are not going to be a much tougher team by trading him and getting someone else to play with Martin. With Brooks it is about adjustments when it comes to boxing out/support from others when he does... and of course him getting his head straight. For the majority of the time with Martin this season, that pairing has been the least of our concerns, and I think that can be the case again. After all, Brooks latest two games are about his worst of the year, the Montreal game sure was, and there was no Paul Martin there.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:48 PM
  #618
Fire Shero*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPens View Post
You have no concept as to how Shero is respected around the NHL. He offered Staal the opportunity of a lifetime with a rumoured 10 year, $58 mill deal and he turned it down for the opportunity to play with his brother, and in a more prominent role. Rutherford gave us a respectful hockey deal because of how Shero deals with people. Michalek wasn't working here, Shero went to him in the offseason (as he did Martin) as asked him what he wanted to do - stay or trade him. He may very well have said that his family loved it in Phoenix and would like the opportunity to go back. Sully was the reason we weren't going to beat anyone deep into the playoffs. TOO small - a great regular season guy but when the going got grinding, he's not the right type of player. Tangradi was an asset that the organization HAD to give a shot to just to see what they had. I have NO idea how you and your crystal ball can project anything into Pouliot's future - everything he's done this year (other than being injured) has shown him to be a very promising prospect. And as far as waiving Strait goes, get over it! Look at the other d-men (aka Hickey) being waived after being drafted what - 4th overall or something!?! You have NO idea what the market is like. Too many smart hockey people out there - you have to give to get! Shero's HUNTING for a winger, I can feel it. Parise was a perfect example. And they still have cap space, and quite a bit of it. If you can't respect how Shero manages then that's up to you. But I feel MUCH more confident with this regime than the last.
If only the real world was as easy as the delusional world some fans live in. Shero tried his best to sign Parise!!!! A for effort and 1 gold star!

If I told my boss hey I reallllllly tried to win my case, but didnt, i would get fired or reprimanded. I wish I could live in a fantasy world. We have cap space and Sid continues to play with Dupuis.

What's the biggest need this team has in the minors? Forwards. What position are we loaded in. Defense. So we have 2 first round picks and we draft 2 dmen. Interesting....

Now it seems like we have 3-4 weak spots on this team. We could use a veteran big boy dman. That shouldn't be too costly.

We need a top 6 winger, as we have for the past 7 years.

We need to drastically improve our bottom 6. Kennedy and Glass are utterly worthless.

Now it appears Vokoun basically sucks. One bad game meh. Two bad game he's still decent. 3-4 straight bad games something is wrong.

Not all of these holes are going to be fixed this season. But it's just frustrating that the top 6 winger or veteran dman weren't addressed this offseason while Shero stalked Parise and Doan. I can't blame Shero for Vokoun playing like an idiot. But he did sign glass who has been absolutely horrible.

I just get the feeling the offseason plan was sign Parise. No plan B.


Last edited by Fire Shero*: 03-06-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:02 PM
  #619
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,050
vCash: 50
Am glad BB will be back.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:35 PM
  #620
plaidchuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post

Not all of these holes are going to be fixed this season. But it's just frustrating that the top 6 winger or veteran dman weren't addressed this offseason while Shero stalked Parise and Doan. I can't blame Shero for Vokoun playing like an idiot. But he did sign glass who has been absolutely horrible.

I just get the feeling the offseason plan was sign Parise. No plan B.
Gotta remember as well the lockout pretty much threw a monkey wrench into things after the draft. No one knew what the cap would be or what the rules would be about buyouts and contracts etc

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:46 PM
  #621
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.
 
EdwardBlake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,139
vCash: 500
Get this discussion back on track guys. This is/has been a current lineup, and injury discussion thread. Get the topic back on lines you'd like to see, Malkin being healthy, Bennett getting a top six start, etc etc

But take the trade talk, Shero talk to ether the stickied lineup thread, or any of the trade threads.

This discussion has become way to close to user bashing or trolling, or has wondered off into circular and straw men discussion territory.

So get the topic back on track.

Thanks.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:26 PM
  #622
Jacques G
Glassic
 
Jacques G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Albany, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,050
vCash: 500
It's raining Sunshine!

Jacques G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:07 PM
  #623
Fire Shero*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Props to Bennett from going from finishing last year in college and injury plagued to playing with James Neal and Evgeni Malkin.

I'd love for him to play in place of Dupuis but Cooke needs replaced in the top 6 more than Dupuis.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:39 PM
  #624
BeauKnows19
Registered User
 
BeauKnows19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 413
vCash: 500
He's back
@penguins: BREAKING NEWS: #Pens recall forward Beau Bennett from @WBSPenguins. More details here: http://t.co/modR1iLpzt

Hope this doesn't mean Neal's out for a while.

BeauKnows19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:46 PM
  #625
NatureBoy
Registered User
 
NatureBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPens70 View Post
He's back
@penguins: BREAKING NEWS: #Pens recall forward Beau Bennett from @WBSPenguins. More details here: http://t.co/modR1iLpzt

Hope this doesn't mean Neal's out for a while.
Unfortunately I guess this is the reason for that.....

NatureBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.