HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bennett recalled again on 4/7

Old
02-14-2013, 02:19 PM
OGBobbyFarnham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Maybe they actually bench TK - Shero made some critical comments about him last night - and go with a third line of Boychuk - Sutter - XXX with Bennett and Cooke rotating between the 2nd and 3rd lines.
Certainly possible.

OGBobbyFarnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Maybe they actually bench TK - Shero made some critical comments about him last night - and go with a third line of Boychuk - Sutter - XXX with Bennett and Cooke rotating between the 2nd and 3rd lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Certainly possible.
We can only hope.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Stad
@Crosby2Perron

He should of started the season here but whatever, i'm happy he's here now.

I'd like to see him on Malkin's wing tomorrow night tbh.

Stad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Dupree13

Just read Bombulie's blog (him who has probably seen Bennett play more than most of us combined), and FWIW, he thinks Bennett will stick with the Pens and never look back. He also thinks that Beau'd be a better fit with Malkin than Sid.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Not sure if this has been pointed out but it's kind of strange that Geno was given a maintenance day today if they plan to try Bennett on his line, isn't it? Wouldn't more practice be smarter? Or is "maintenance day" code for "banged up enough to miss practice but not enough to sit out of games"?

Or is BB not even with the team yet?

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:50 PM
No Chance of Fluerys
Les Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
NEWS ALERT: #Pens have recalled forward Beau Bennett from @WBSPenguins. The rookie F is second on WBS with 18 assists http://pens.pe/Ygu1Jb

Here's hoping it works for him.
I've been hoping for him to come up since last year! Soooo pumped. Hopefully they start him with crosby

No Chance of Fluerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:55 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
What did Shero say about TK?
Nothing too damning...
Quote:
"With TK, and I know the coaches have talked to him, he's a guy that needs to pick up his play and it's important for him to do so,

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:07 PM
roready
Brink, Truth, Life

QUOTE=IcedCapp;59718301]Nothing too damning...[/QUOTE]

Translation:TK-it is important that TK start playing better so we get better value for him when we trade him before April 3rd!

roready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:09 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Nothing too damning...
Another bad game and he might find himself a healthy scratch. It's too bad, but maybe Staal made him better than he really is

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Malkinstheman

Im not sure why but i just feel like bennett needs to be tried with crosby. As someone posted, malkin and neal need a passer which is true but they will also be good with a forchecker like kunitz or perhaphs younger. Bennett imo has all the tools to succed with crosby and if all goes well i see him as a 30 goal scorer(potentially). Just hope the org.doesnt screw this up

Malkinstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
Im not sure why but i just feel like bennett needs to be tried with crosby. As someone posted, malkin and neal need a passer which is true but they will also be good with a forchecker like kunitz or perhaphs younger. Bennett imo has all the tools to succed with crosby and if all goes well i see him as a 30 goal scorer(potentially). Just hope the org.doesnt screw this up
Sid's already signed long term, and some people are worried that Geno will bolt after his contract's up if he feels the organization is disrespecting him by not surrounding him with acceptable talent.

Polaris Husky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
Sid's already signed long term, and some people are worried that Geno will bolt after his contract's up if he feels the organization is disrespecting him by not surrounding him with acceptable talent.
This is the kind of mind-reading that makes HFB good for a laugh at times. Transference at its finest.

Geno has been the consummate team guy his entire time here, never complains, has had great success overall, and won a Cup (and not far from winning more), likes his teammates... but somehow when it comes contract time he's going to morph into a ***** and demand a trade or leave for FA if he doesn't have two all-stars on his wing.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
This is the kind of mind-reading that makes HFB good for a laugh at times. Transference at its finest.

Geno has been the consummate team guy his entire time here, never complains, has had great success overall, and won a Cup (and not far from winning more), likes his teammates... but somehow when it comes contract time he's going to morph into a ***** and demand a trade if he doesn't have two all-stars on his wing.
Personally, I don't think he's that kind of guy, but I've seen the sentiment pop up from time to time.

Polaris Husky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:37 PM
TNT87
Lets Go Bucs!

I'm a little surprised as I thought they would keep him in the minors for the entire year. Hopefully he can come up and display the talent to show why he was a #1 pick. I'm a little concern about his injury history as it seems he gets banged up but I'm excited to see what he can do.

If he can hold his own and contribute then that would lessen the need for a scoring winger come deadline time in which Shero can improve the team in other areas.

Welcome to the big time.

TNT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Yah we see a lot of sentiments pop up on this board every week... sentiments are a cheap commodity.

I'm not worried about Geno unless Bylsma pulls a total brain fart and starts dropping his ice time or something similarly full ******. Most likely he will take a similar hit to Sid's, for the max years, and we can all enjoy watching him play out his entire career here.

Letang might be a bit trickier depending on the cap situation and what his agent asks, but I'm not worried about Geno at all.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Dangle.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Jules Winnfield
Kessel is phat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Another bad game and he might find himself a healthy scratch. It's too bad, but maybe Staal made him better than he really is
Staal was an excellent cycler of the puck. Sutter is not as good as Staal at that. Kennedy is a solid cycler. It's definitely looking now like TK and his style ate off of Staal's plate.

I actually liked Boychuk last night with Sutter. Thought their speed was impressive.

Kennedy is all about cycling and shooting when he gets a chance off the cycle.

I cringed when we signed him over Talbot after that fluke year when everyone got hurt and he scored 20+ goals.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:43 PM
Epic Neal Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post

Geno has been the consummate team guy his entire time here, never complains, has had great success overall, and won a Cup (and not far from winning more), likes his teammates... but somehow when it comes contract time he's going to morph into a ***** and demand a trade or leave for FA if he doesn't have two all-stars on his wing.
He's European. Of course he has attidute issues.

Epic Neal Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:44 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatseeker View Post
I'm a little surprised as I thought they would keep him in the minors for the entire year.
I think he will be there most of the year / don't think this call up will last indefinitely, unless he totally clicks and starts increasing the output of whichever line he's on. He still needs to ramp up his strength and durability for one thing; although if Manchuk can take the abuse most likely Bennett can too.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Jules Winnfield
Kessel is phat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatseeker View Post
I'm a little surprised as I thought they would keep him in the minors for the entire year. Hopefully he can come up and display the talent to show why he was a #1 pick. I'm a little concern about his injury history as it seems he gets banged up but I'm excited to see what he can do.

If he can hold his own and contribute then that would lessen the need for a scoring winger come deadline time in which Shero can improve the team in other areas.

Welcome to the big time.
What amazes me is you see these rookies around the league making big plays to help their team win and you wonder how come the Pens can never have a rookie/young winger do this?

Watch the Tatar goal from last night. Sick hands like BB.

Personally I'd like to see BB with Crosby rather than Malkin. We know Kunitz with Malkin and Neal was the best line in the NHL last year. Reunite them. The way Crosby is playing, he could play with Craig Adams and Mark Madden and threaten when he's on the ice.

BB is more of a playmaker than scorer. Malkin is a great playmaker and Neal is his triggerman. Let BB be the playmaker for Sid and Sid be the scorer. Then each line will have a guy who works his ass off on the boards/corners in Dupes/Kunitz.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:53 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Go Griz

vCash: 50
Bennett is more of a natural playmaker and, don't forget, he's a natural right winger. I don't think the Penguins are intending on moving Neal back to the left side after the success he's had on the right side.

Dupuis can play both wings, so...
Dupuis-Crosby-Bennett
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

Bam.

I don't think that's the route we'll be going right off the bat, but that's what I'd like down the road. I expect Bennett to be eased into the line-up, perhaps getting in his first game as a replacement for Kennedy - who's ice time last night tells me he could be primed for a healthy scratch situation.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:55 PM
mpp9

I'm starting to lean towards Bennett being a fit with Geno/Neal. Agreed with Jiggy that Malkin is much more shoot first than Sid. And there's no reason why the Malkin/Neal dynamic can't change with another playmaker on the line. I'd also like to see Neal much more involved along the boards, I think this move allows him to do that as there's another puck distributor on the line.

Keep Kunitz-Sid-Duper together. The zone time is usually there, Sid just needs an upgrade for the postseason. At the very least, someone with size who can finish with more regularity than Duper.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:57 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Bennett is more of a natural playmaker and, don't forget, he's a natural right winger. I don't think the Penguins are intending on moving Neal back to the left side after the success he's had on the right side.

Dupuis can play both wings, so...
Dupuis-Crosby-Bennett
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

Bam.

I don't think that's the route we'll be going right off the bat, but that's what I'd like down the road. I expect Bennett to be eased into the line-up, perhaps getting in his first game as a replacement for Kennedy - who's ice time last night tells me he could be primed for a healthy scratch situation.
I think Bennett would be lethal on the left side. Is more of a shot threat there in addition to his puck distributing ability. From what I understand, he can play both sides quite well.

I think we'll see a rotation on Geno's LW to start, but that's where most of Bennett's ES minutes will be. Maybe a few shifts with Sutter when the lines dictate it.

Old
02-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

I'm pretty sure BB has been playing on the left side in WBS.

Tasty Biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:12 PM
cassius

Let's hope 28 is a charm!

Quote:
Bennett is the latest player to get an apparent shot in Pittsburgh's top six—we're talking over the course of several years, dating back to Nils Ekman and including such names as Colby Armstrong, Janne Pesonen, Erik Christensen, Miroslav Satan, Chris Bourque, Nick Johnson, Luca Caputi, Mike Comrie and Zach Boychuk. Save for Boychuk, a recent waiver-wire pickup, none of those players is with the team anymore—and now you can throw Tangradi's name on the pile.

On Twitter, Brendan Shorts compiled his own list. He came up with an unbelievable 28 players, including Bennett, since 2006.

The 28 wingers the Pens have used with 87 or 71 since 06-07: Armstrong, Christensen, Ekman, Malone, Ouellet, Recchi, Staal, Talbot, Hossa

— Brendan Shorts (@BShorts) February 14, 2013

Dupuis, Rupp, Sykora, Cooke, Caputi, Guerin, Jeffrey, Kennedy, Kunitz, Satan, Bourque, Fedotenko, N. Johnson, Ponikarovsky, Tangradi, Neal

Sullivan, Boychuk and Bennett.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...-sidney-crosby

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Malkinstheman

As bmlh pointed out bennett is a natural right wing. Honestly i dont think hes going to mesh well with malkin/neal. It seems to me like he is being setup to failure so when he looks out of place he will be scratched or benched or demoted.

Malkinstheman is offline   Reply With Quote