HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Bennett recalled again on 4/7

Old
02-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

vCash: 500
Why are we always so quick to push a young player to the top two lines? Should they eventually get there .... hopefully sure. But damn, that's why some of our youngsters are gone now. If these kids had been able to get the confidence of playing in the league first and then worried about elevating their games, maybe Tangradi, Jeffrey, and others like them could be pushing guys out of our top 9 now like we hope Bennett will.

Like Bennett get his feet wet on L3 until Cooke or Kunitz show they are slowing down .... then plug him up there and see what happens.

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:48 PM
66-29-33

Boychuk-Crosby-Bennett

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:54 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican Peach Pen View Post
Why are we always so quick to push a young player to the top two lines? Should they eventually get there .... hopefully sure. But damn, that's why some of our youngsters are gone now. If these kids had been able to get the confidence of playing in the league first and then worried about elevating their games, maybe Tangradi, Jeffrey, and others like them could be pushing guys out of our top 9 now like we hope Bennett will.

Like Bennett get his feet wet on L3 until Cooke or Kunitz show they are slowing down .... then plug him up there and see what happens.
You can't stick a player in a roll he's never played and expect them to excel. It's the opposite of setting a player up succeed. You hurt a young players development when you try making him something he is not & Bennett isn't a third line winger.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:02 PM
fragmag

“In terms of what the plans is, there is not a plan at this point in time,” Bylsma said. “When Beau plays, he’s a skilled guy that has the ability to make plays and finish. That’s something he’ll get a chance to do. Who it’s with at this particular time he doesn’t know. You’re going to see him on the second power-play unit. He’ll have time and opportunity to play in a top-6 role at some point in time. But that isn’t necessarily where he’ll start when he gets in the lineup.”

Can't wait to see him on the PP.

fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Jacob

I think we can officially end the Boychuk-in-the-top-6 experiment.

Dude's played 8 games on Malkin & Neal's LW and has no points. Meanwhile, Cooke plays like 4 shifts in the same spot and gets an assist.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post

Dude's played 8 games on Malkin & Neal's LW and has no points. Meanwhile, Cooke plays like 4 shifts in the same spot and gets an assist.
This is kind of what i was talking about with bennett too. Almlst everybody we tried wouldnt have done good playing with malking and neal as they arent powerforward material. I feel like the same mayhappen with dangles. I would still love to see boychuck with crosby but sadly wont happen

Malkinstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Jacob

I don't like Bennett with Malkin & Neal because Bennett is only an average skater, and so is Neal. And they're both only so-so defensively. Malkin's got wheels, but he tends to cheat and takes himself way out of position or gets caught deep in the offensive zone.

You want someone with wheels and grit that can be the first guy back on the back check.. but I'd be hesitant to load up with Kunitz because that doesn't leave much for Crosby to play with.

So what I'd like to see is:

Dupuis - Malkin - Neal
Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett
Cooke - Sutter - Boychuk/Kennedy

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:20 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Boychuk just doesn't have the finish or creativity for the top 6. He played well but in the end 8 games next to Malkin should have produced at least one point. That break a way he fumbled was the end.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Boychuk should be dropped to the third line but he's still be a decent player to have despite his pointless 8 games.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:34 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:

I'd rather see Jeffrey in the line-up over Boychuk.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:41 PM
BmxHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Here's hoping tomorrow night's lines look like this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Cooke-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Sutter-Kennedy
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Disco, please don't waste this kid's talents on the 3rd or 4th lines...
Like.

BmxHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Boychuk should be dropped to the third line but he's still be a decent player to have despite his pointless 8 games.
Maybe he fits better elsewhere in the line-up, I still wish we got to see him with Crosby for a few games, I think they would compliment each other perfectly.

Kunitz, Crosby, Boychuk

Just for like 2-3 games, then drop Dupuis to the 3rd line and bench Kennedy or put him on the 4th instead of Adams.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Honour Over Glory

Would you guys keep Beau on the right side when he's been playing the left wing in the AHL?

Old
02-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
As bmlh pointed out bennett is a natural right wing. Honestly i dont think hes going to mesh well with malkin/neal. It seems to me like he is being setup to failure so when he looks out of place he will be scratched or benched or demoted.
You really need not worry. No prospects of any significance have ever gotten that treatment. The only guys that have (allegedly) gotten "jerked around", "set up to fail" and benched have been marginal 4th line or bottom pair types. Or, guys who were just lousy like ET.

Dupree13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:53 PM
mpp9

Quote:
I don't like Bennett with Malkin & Neal because Bennett is only an average skater, and so is Neal. And they're both only so-so defensively. Malkin's got wheels, but he tends to cheat and takes himself way out of position or gets caught deep in the offensive zone.

You want someone with wheels and grit that can be the first guy back on the back check.. but I'd be hesitant to load up with Kunitz because that doesn't leave much for Crosby to play with.

Dupuis - Malkin - Neal
It's pretty apparent they're not breaking up Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis. Outside of the 4th line with Vitale, they've been the only semi-consistent trio we've iced this season. Why **** with what's not broke.

Malkin has been pretty dedicated breaking plays up in his own end. He's just been trying to do too much once he starts going up ice. Give him another capable puck distributor and maybe he starts becoming less of a puck hog. Can't hurt to try.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:18 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Bennett is more of a natural playmaker and, don't forget, he's a natural right winger. I don't think the Penguins are intending on moving Neal back to the left side after the success he's had on the right side.

Dupuis can play both wings, so...
Dupuis-Crosby-Bennett
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

Bam.

I don't think that's the route we'll be going right off the bat, but that's what I'd like down the road. I expect Bennett to be eased into the line-up, perhaps getting in his first game as a replacement for Kennedy - who's ice time last night tells me he could be primed for a healthy scratch situation.
I think a shift to the left for Bennett could yield similar results to Neal switching to the right...especially with the one timer Beau has.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
People really have the wrong idea about BB around here. He isn't a soft player who won't battle along the boards. He was actually winning a ton of board battles in the A by being physical and crafty. He likes to hit and doesn't shy away from physical play.

My only question is if he is strong enough yet, because if he isn't, he can't help Crosby or Malkin's line anyway, so it's a moot point. However, after seeing Kadri this year, I think BB can handle himself.

People somehow have this impression BB is a perimeter player who doesn't like to mix it up along the boards... I don't know where that comes from.
I think you got the wrong impression from my post. When I said the line could use more jam, I didn't mean to suggest Bennett was a perimeter player, I was referring to Kunitz' grit and tenacity complementing that line so well last season. I'm sure BB can hold his own, but Kunitz he ain't.

Either way, if Bennett ends up solidifying a wing spot, I couldn't care less which line it's on. Malkin's line could benefit from Bennett's playmaking, and God knows Sid's line could use some creativity.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Was Bennett not already playing left wing in WBS? Was under the impression he was.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:40 PM
KIRK

Quote:

Dupuis - Malkin - Neal
The skating is less of a concern than whether Bennett will get, on an instinctive level, how to play with Malkin and Neal. My initial gut feeling is that he is a far better candidate in that regard than every other guy who has started with Malkin and Neal, and it's not even close.

That said, your lines also make a lot of sense. It seems that Dupuis, in random shifts, has shown an ability to click with Malkin (making up for the lack of physicality with speed), and putting Bennett with Sid and Kunitz would lessen the 'physical burden' for him.

At this point, I just want to see the kid play. I had substantial doubts about others but hoped for the best. With Bennett, if he can hold up physically, again, it's just my gut, but I've got a good feeling.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Malkinstheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
You really need not worry. No prospects of any significance have ever gotten that treatment. The only guys that have (allegedly) gotten "jerked around", "set up to fail" and benched have been marginal 4th line or bottom pair types. Or, guys who were just lousy like ET.
I hope your right as hes our best chance at a top-6 option from within

Malkinstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:41 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
It's pretty apparent they're not breaking up Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis. Outside of the 4th line with Vitale, they've been the only semi-consistent trio we've iced this season. Why **** with what's not broke.

Malkin has been pretty dedicated breaking plays up in his own end. He's just been trying to do too much once he starts going up ice. Give him another capable puck distributor and maybe he starts becoming less of a puck hog. Can't hurt to try.
Very, very good point there. And, yeah, it can't hurt to try.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Pretty sure Bennett's played left wing all of this year in Wilkes-Barre. He's listed and has played the right side before though. So whatever side he plays on probably isn't a huge deal.

Someone earlier mentioned that Bennett on Sid's line would make for too soft of a line and I agree. Individually, him Sid and Duper aren't really "soft", but you'd ideally like a guy like Kunitz to do some dirty work. If he's put with Malkin and Neal, he won't be keyed in on as much because teams would mostly worry about Malkin and Neal. This, in my opinion, is a plus for a kid who will be playing against top D units for the first time. Also him being able to set up both of those guys and even finish some plays could make that line extremely dangerous at even strength, something desperately needed.

Crosby's line has been fine but Malkin's line needs a spark and I think Bennett could do wonders setting up those two.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:49 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
And in a salary cap world you need young players to earn roster spots. They can't earn permanent spots by being benched. Not every player is going to be a highly touted first round pick like Despres who wows you enough with his talent, to make up for his mistakes.

Boychuk blew all of his chances in Carolina, then he got a top six spot with the Pens, but did nothing to earn it. He got that spot based on where his number was called in the draft and nothing more.

Jeffrey played so well the TSN guys said he was the Pens best player on the ice that night with Malkin and Neal. BENCHED.

Bort outplayed Engo, but as soon as Nisky comes back, Bort gets a seat on the bench.

Vitale has consistently been the hardest worker on this team from day one, but he gets benched while TK continues to ghost it.

Great message from DB and most certainly not a myth.
No, it's not. Only guy who's seemed to be exempt has been Despres, although that may be as much because Nisky was out as a leap of faith by Bylsma.

That said, he's tried everything, in his mind, with Geno and Neal (we can debate whether he really 'tried' Jeffrey, but leave that aside). Bennett will get a long look. As long as he holds physically, I think he's going to show a lot.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:52 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
No, Malkin's line needs a banger. Plenty of skill with him and Neal on that line. Bennett needs to go with Crosby.
Actually, Malkin's line needs a bit of both. Neal is best suited to be the finisher. He can do o'k on the boards, but he's not a guy who's going to show a ton in terms of creativity. Malkin is best suited to be the playmaker. He needs someone to lead the charge in the dirty areas and to work the give and go's. If that guy can make a play himself every once in a while, all the better. Bennett isn't going to lead the charge on the boards, but IMO he'd play a Steve Sullivan role with Malkin and Neal and, compared to Sullivan, actually would look pretty strong in the dirty areas.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:56 PM
mpp9

Bennett changes the dynamic with the Malkin/Neal duo. With Malkin not always carrying the puck, there's now two guys who can look for soft spots in coverage. I'd like to see Neal become the puck hound he showed when he came over in the trade. He has that in his game.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote