HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

47th Obsequious Banter Thread - Patrick Thoresen is Titanium

Old
02-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
We've been in the 70 degree range the last 3 days in Memphis, but that obviously comes with some consequences. I had my first experience with tornado sirens today. Such a calming presence
Ha, reminds me of a time when an executive came to the warehouse I was working at from Wisconsin. It was right up the street from a firehouse and the sirens went off signaling a fire. I never saw a woman so confused at why nobody was reacting the way she was, she thought there was a tornado dropping down. The panic in her eyes was sincere. Weird thing about it there wasn't a cloud in the sky that day and she could see that right outside the window from the office. We had a good laugh at that.

Not that tornadoes should be taken lightly, they are powerful and destructive forces. Glad you weren't in immediate danger. Do you have a storm shelter?

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 11:53 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Ha, reminds me of a time when an executive came to the warehouse I was working at from Wisconsin. It was right up the street from a firehouse and the sirens went off signaling a fire. I never saw a woman so confused at why nobody was reacting the way she was, she thought there was a tornado dropping down. The panic in her eyes was sincere. Weird thing about it there wasn't a cloud in the sky that day and she could see that right outside the window from the office. We had a good laugh at that.

Not that tornadoes should be taken lightly, they are powerful and destructive forces. Glad you weren't in immediate danger. Do you have a storm shelter?
Beats the hell out of me! I just moved here in November and don't do well with storms as is. I've had rough experiences outside in them and hated them growing up in the same house in south jersey for 25 years. Now I'm on the 7th floor of an unfamiliar 100 year old 19 story high rise. If anything, I would have just run into the hallway. Don't trust much else!

Worst part was that the sirens were coming from over the Mississippi River from Arkansas, but were loud enough to feel on top of us. I was chatting with our friendly neighborhood security guard when they started, and when they kicked on, I turned to him and asked "what are those?" Our normal joking conversation died there as he gave me an ice cold look and said "you know what those are..."

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 11:54 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
It's sausage, one of the ingredients is pig blood. It has a mixture of steel cut oats, milk, and some other spices in in to make it taste great.
Sounds a lot like a dish traditional in at least part of Slovenia, krvavice - http://www.google.com/images?q=krvavice. Is this pretty much what you're after?

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 12:27 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
so I am driving home from work, I was about 4 or 5 miles down the road when this 18 wheeler got right on my ass. Added into this is there was a thin layer of snow and ice on the road and I was going 40-45 in a 55. He was probably less then a car length behind me. so after about 2 miles of this I pulled over where there was a on ramp for one of the towns off the main road.
The truck goes flying by me. I get back on the road and resume my prior speed. he is just pulling away from me. 2 miles down the road I see flashing blue lights. I thought to myself no ****ing way haha. Sure enough the clown driving the 18 wheeler is pulled over by not 1 but 2 local cops. one from the town I was in and another from the town over which was 1/2 mile down the road.
After I drove by the pulled over rig I could not help but think every once in awhile justice comes down on stupid idiots on the road. it made my night.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 02:45 AM
OzFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
After I drove by the pulled over rig I could not help but think every once in awhile justice comes down on stupid idiots on the road. it made my night.
Nice! You always hope that will happen.

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Haha that's the best. Almost as good as slamming the brakes and making him jackknife

02-22-2014, 12:42 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Haha that's the best. Almost as good as slamming the brakes and making him jackknife
i did think about braking but with the road conditions being sketchy i decided against it.

Old
02-25-2014, 06:34 PM
mypunkrock

Passed comps. On to the dissertation!

And I'm ordering a cheesesteak as I type this.

mypunkrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 09:46 PM
Iggy Smalls

Hi! i'm not sure where to post this question on your forum so please let me know if there's a better place to get some answers.

I go to school in DC and was recently admitted as a transfer at Temple University for fall 2014. I'm entering as a junior and they basically told me good luck finding an apartment. I've seriously only spent a total of 5 hours in Philly during my life.

A lot of people on /r/philadelphia have told me to look for something in center city, but the prices seem out of my range. Honestly, this will be my first apartment and I'm not even sure what is considered a decent deal or not. I commute from my parent's home to go to school. Any suggestions where I should generally look or completely avoid? I don't drive and rely on the DC metro to get me everywhere, so an area near a SEPTA stop would be really preferred.

Thanks a lot!

Iggy Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 10:09 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Smalls View Post
Hi! i'm not sure where to post this question on your forum so please let me know if there's a better place to get some answers.

I go to school in DC and was recently admitted as a transfer at Temple University for fall 2014. I'm entering as a junior and they basically told me good luck finding an apartment. I've seriously only spent a total of 5 hours in Philly during my life.

A lot of people on /r/philadelphia have told me to look for something in center city, but the prices seem out of my range. Honestly, this will be my first apartment and I'm not even sure what is considered a decent deal or not. I commute from my parent's home to go to school. Any suggestions where I should generally look or completely avoid? I don't drive and rely on the DC metro to get me everywhere, so an area near a SEPTA stop would be really preferred.

Thanks a lot!
South Philly or fishtown would be good choices. South Philly an easier commute to Temple

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:26 PM
Prongo
Beer

Had an accident again today. Two times in the last 7 months my car has been hit. Both times I was parked....... Some crappy luck I have.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:29 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

the flyers had a street hockey shootout outside the comcast center today and i won, i cant believe it

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Prongo
Beer

I now know what OriginJM looks like .. Always wondered what some of you people looked like. Instead I associate your image with your avatar.

If I played I would have won!

I actually saw your tweet on the Flyer time line.

Old
02-26-2014, 12:52 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Had an accident again today. Two times in the last 7 months my car has been hit. Both times I was parked....... Some crappy luck I have.
that sucks. had a couple of close calls recently. earlier this month a van went thru a stop sign and narrowly missed the rear end of my car.

Old
02-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
the flyers had a street hockey shootout outside the comcast center today and i won, i cant believe it
Quote:
I now know what OriginJM looks like .. Always wondered what some of you people looked like. Instead I associate your image with your avatar.

If I played I would have won!

I actually saw your tweet on the Flyer time line.
That's weird. You both look like Claude Giroux.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 01:36 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
that sucks. had a couple of close calls recently. earlier this month a van went thru a stop sign and narrowly missed the rear end of my car.
I still can't believe it. It was the exact same place that got hit the first time as well. I think I forgot to mention that. Both times my rear driver side fender was the victim. Poor feller can't catch a break. I don't understand why some people drive haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
That's weird. You both look like Claude Giroux.
We are both handsome yes.

Old
02-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Go For It

Snow people, what's the deal with this next storm?

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 06:49 AM
Jray42

vCash: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Snow people, what's the deal with this next storm?
I heard on kyw this morning that it's looking like 6-12 with a possibility for more.

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 06:58 AM
Prongo
Beer

Ill post when I get home from classes about the storm. It's looking really good (if your a snow lover). The storm is just drenching California right now which is a good thing.

Old
02-28-2014, 09:40 AM
drcrusher

Does anyone happen to know the state of the Schuylkill River Trail path in the area of Betzwood to Norristown? Does it get cleared when there is snow? I have a long run to do this weekend that involves some pace work which I like to do on a relatively flat course, the SRT is usually one of my favorite places for that, but if there snow/ice there I'll have to figure something else out.

drcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 10:01 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Ill post when I get home from classes about the storm. It's looking really good (if your a snow lover). The storm is just drenching California right now which is a good thing.
Snow is fine but not when you smash historical records....sick of this crap!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 10:05 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:

Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Prongo
Beer

Alright. The models are kind of flip flopping around right now. The NAM model is good for forecasting under 60 hours and that is hitting the area pretty hard. The CMC model just took the storm north for some reason, probably getting wrong data. Looks like it expects either the High pressure from Canada to be weak or move slower than originally thought. GFS is still painting us with a solid 1-1.5 inches of precipitation, which would be a significant snow storm.

Here is a pretty good weather map from someone I trust who has been pretty much on top of all the storms this winter.

He will also produce a video in about an hour or so with additional info. I will post the basics of it here. Right now though, I am in the 10-16 range and I am loving it. The storm is still around 60 hours out, so we have plenty of time for things to change.

Old
02-28-2014, 10:59 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I'm in zone 3... fun...

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2014, 11:00 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Yup,