HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Karlsson Injured Part III [YT#1] Lacerated Achilles, Surgery Required, Out Indef.

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 03:40 PM
MurphyDump

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
Yes, but in the way it did? All I'm saying is it didn't look to me like a motion that had any purpose in helping him gain any leverage or advantage. The knee up under his butt, trying to gain leverage, yep - I can see that. The quick downward thrust with his skate, not so much.

I haven't had a chance to see the clips that MurphyDump referred to from the Blues-Wings game. I'll be looking for similarities when I do get to see it. Who knows, I may change my mind, but for now, I am wary of writing it off as completely bad luck.
right after the injury on TSN, they showed clips from the Blues/Wings game from that night and there was about 3 hits that happened the same way. Guys go into the boards, player tries to pin the other player and leg goes up in the air, and fortunately no cut....but with a little bad luck, it could have happened there too.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:46 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Ever been in a battle along the boards? Lots of pushing and shoving. Legs get tangled.
Yes. Yes. and Yes. But they don't try to step on the back of eachother's legs like Cooke did.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:48 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Yes. Yes. and Yes. But they don't try to step on the back of eachother's legs like Cooke did.
Cooke tried to?

Hmm, do you make money reading minds and knowing what everyone is thinking?

Old
02-15-2013, 03:49 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
right after the injury on TSN, they showed clips from the Blues/Wings game from that night and there was about 3 hits that happened the same way. Guys go into the boards, player tries to pin the other player and leg goes up in the air, and fortunately no cut....but with a little bad luck, it could have happened there too.
Any chance for a link? I'd like to see those plays they showed.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Uh, that's your interpretation of what happened.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:52 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Cooke tried to?

Hmm, do you make money reading minds and knowing what everyone is thinking?
You can tell he tried to because he wasn't off balance and there were plenty of other places where he was able to (and most other players do) put that foot down.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
My question is, when his skate came down on Karlsson's ankle, why did he not lift it back up instead of making the slicing motion?

Old
02-15-2013, 03:59 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Uh, that's your interpretation of what happened.
Uh, yup. . . just like everyone else.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:01 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
My question is, when his skate came down on Karlsson's ankle, why did he not lift it back up instead of making the slicing motion?
sigh.

The game is a lot faster than that replay you're watching over and over haha.

wow.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:02 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
You can tell he tried to because he wasn't off balance and there were plenty of other places where he was able to (and most other players do) put that foot down.
Yup you're right. Btw, what are my lucky numbers? I wanna play a lottery ticket tonight.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:05 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Yup you're right. Btw, what are my lucky numbers? I wanna play a lottery ticket tonight.
Thanks.
I'll tell you the numbers after they're drawn and we can see them on video like we saw Cooke step down on the back of Karlsson's ankle.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Uh, yup. . . just like everyone else.
I suggest you re-read the 3 threads. Not everyone thinks this was by design.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
He knows all. We're losing steam.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:09 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Wait a second. . . everyone has their own interpretation? Then I'm in good company.

You should try interpreting for yourself. The whole "I dunno" stance is pretty lame.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Wait a second. . . everyone has their own interpretation? Then I'm in good company.

You should try interpreting for yourself. The whole "I dunno" stance is pretty lame.
Brother, I gave you my interpretation. It seems a lot of this conversation has went over your head.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:16 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Including the 99% of players who actually played NHL hockey.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:20 PM
JMiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Well, if we're going to make up stats then I heard it was only 38% but they were more willing to go on record.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
The natives are restless. Matt Cooke has emerged from his slumber.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Iggy77

I don't think it was intentional but it's Cooke and he's reckless. I still find it really really hard to believe he has any concern for other players on the ice. There is lots of physical, tough, in your face heavy hitting players in the NHL but withn Cooke it seems far more likely the other player is injured or their career is over. If it was any other player but Cooke, EK would still be OK right now.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:23 PM
JMiller

Quote:
The natives are restless. Matt Cooke has emerged from his slumber.
I thought we were "giving him credit" for that slumber.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Windy River

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
interesting read, I have included 2 links which gives us this guys credentials in Statement Analysis of many crimes and interviews including Matt Cooke's interview.

http://statement-analysis.blogspot.c...=1360905666586

http://www.crimewiresite.com/peterhyatt.htm

Is Matt Cooke telling the truth?

He has a lengthy history of dirty hits and injuring players. Was this just an unlucky accident, or did he deliberately cut the Senators' star player?

Matt Cooke's own words will tell us the truth.
Statement Analysis is in bold type.
PITTSBURGH -- The Ottawa Senators lost a lot more than a game.
Star defenceman Erik Karlsson went down with a left Achilles injury when he was cut by a skate blade late in the second period in the Senators' 4-2 loss to Pittsburgh on Wednesday night.
"It's a tough blow," Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson said. "Obviously, the way he's playing and how much he means to our team, it feels terrible and I feel really bad for him."
The Norris Trophy winner last season as the NHL's top defenceman, Karlsson was cut by Penguins forward Matt Cooke's skate blade as the two tangled along the boards. The Senators said Karlsson will need surgery.
"We all know who's involved in it," Ottawa coach Paul MacLean said about Cooke. "That's just the way it is. The injury to Erik was unfortunate and it happens on a nothing play that could've potentially been whistled down."
Cooke has been suspended several times for much criticized hits, some of them involving head-shots that injured opposing players. In 2011, Cooke was suspended for the Penguins' final 10 regular-season games and the first round of the Playoffs after an elbow to the head of New York Rangers' defenceman Ryan McDonagh.
Please note that a dirty hit on Boston star Marc Savard ended Savard's career; impacting his life (concussion) and his team. Karlson is the star of his team.
Karlsson fell to the ice and was in visible pain after tangling with Cooke. He needed help getting back to the bench and displayed frustration, throwing his stick against the boards before disappearing down the runway.
"Him and I were engaged and he went down screaming," Cooke said. "I didn't even know what happened. It's a complete accident and obviously I feel terrible about it. It has happened a few times over the past couple years and it's scary."
Passivity in language seeks to conceal identity or responsibility. "The gun went off..." is an example of passivity. In "the gun went off" the subject avoids telling who pulled the trigger. If someone does not know, then the passivity is appropriate.

Note here that Cooke uses passive language twice:
a. "he went down" is passive. He avoids telling us what caused him to go down. Does he not know, since he was there?
b. "It has happened..."

He avoids telling us how it happened in the past. Was he involved? Was it from his skate? Or were these incidents in which he was not present and did not have knowledge of? If so, why mention it?
c. Note that which is in the negative is sensitive: "I didn't even know what..."
d. Note that the negative sentence is made additionally sensitive: "even"
e. Note that it as an "accident" is made sensitive by the additional word, "complete" This additional word weakens the assertion that it was an accident, as it shows his need for emphasis.
f. Note that the word "obviously" is also sensitive as he expects us to take something without question.
There are enough indicators within his statement to conclude that Cooke is not truthful about what he did to the Senator's star player.

When considering allowing this dangerous player to continue to play in the league, NHL dead of discipline, Brendan Shanahan should read this analysis, or put Matt Cooke up on a polygraph and learn the truth.

It is unknown how Marc Savard, and his family, suffers today. Suffice to say that his life was altered, against his will, and he would likely still be playing today if not for the deliberate head =hunting hit by Matt Cooke.
Exactly what I had alluded to in an earlier post. His deflective comments and indications of 'having no idea' what happened - prove he is at least partly lying, covering up his guilt.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
I don't think it was intentional but it's Cooke and he's reckless. I still find it really really hard to believe he has any concern for other players on the ice. There is lots of physical, tough, in your face heavy hitting players in the NHL but withn Cooke it seems far more likely the other player is injured or their career is over. If it was any other player but Cooke, EK would still be OK right now.
I respect your opinion but that's hearsay.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:26 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Well, if we're going to make up stats then I heard it was only 38% but they were more willing to go on record.
Please. I have sports radio on all day at work, and not a single player or former player has said it was anything but an accident.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Sher-Wood

Look, I'm not a fan of Cook's and I like Karlsson as much as the next person and I'm a swede on top of that... but this was nothing but an freak accident. Please give it a rest already.

Old
02-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Novak Djokovic
HAWKS BANDWAGON!

Why are Pens fans arguing this? Most of HF supports you, some Sens fans agree (I do), all of the players and media think it a freak accident.. so just chill.

Closed Thread