HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Karlsson Injured Part III [YT#1] Lacerated Achilles, Surgery Required, Out Indef.

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Lorenzo1000

vCash: 500
Hey I haven't read this or the other threads that preceded it but I believe that there's no reason for a player to be lifting his skates off the ice in order to try to hold or control another player with their legs along the boards. Any action like this whether it causes an injury or not should be a penalty. As one of the guests said on off the record today if a cut is caused by accidentally hitting somebody with your stick it's a penalty. Why shouldn't cutting somebody with your skate like this be a penalty too?

Whether it was accidental or not they have to do more to protect the players from injury. You can't use a kicking motion to score a goal partly because they are concerned about potential injury so this should be no different!

Old
02-15-2013, 05:50 PM
ViCiieux

Anyone saying it wasn't intentional, Answer this.
What was he trying to achieve by the stomp?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvoMpbdA-0A
Look at the left leg.. Its clearly a stomp!

Old
02-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Richie10

Lol, Mr. Classless himself Matt Cooke comes off as more reasonable and professional than Eugene Melnyk.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViCiieux View Post
Anyone saying it wasn't intentional, Answer this.
What was he trying to achieve by the stomp?
His skate back on the ice?

When your momentum takes you into the boards and your knee hits an immovable object that tends to drive your leg down.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:54 PM
Slow Hands
The feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
Understandable, but they should be professional enough to not let their emotions get to them in front of the media.
Here's something you may remember.

Quote:
"Hockey is a tough, physical game, and it always should be, but what happened Friday night on Long Island wasn't hockey. It was a travesty. It was painful to watch the game I love turn into a sideshow like that..If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to rethink whether I want to be a part of it."
Yes, because making idle threats to leave the NHL is very professional. Pot's calling the kettle black here.

To be fair, I understand what you're saying and I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
They have every right to be angry that their best player is injured & that their season is pretty much over but nearly everyone in the hockey world is saying that its a freak accident on a routine hockey play! Yet your owner & GM are crying about Cooke's history & coming off as complete babies about the League's POV because they think Cooke meant to do it. They are letting their emotions get the better of them which is never a good thing.
Crying? I don't see any tears. Chill out on the hyperbole, bro.

They're not entitled to their opinion? At this point, the NHL considers it a closed matter. While I don't think going on about it in the media is going to accomplish anything, it's completely understandable. I'm not sure you realize how royally screwed the Sens are. Besides the obvious implications on ice, losing Karlsson also affects the bottom line. One less star player to bring people in, the potential loss of revenue if the Sens miss the playoffs.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:57 PM
delled

I think he's an amazing player and I wish him a great recovery. Just thinking from a NHL marketing standpoint, if when he returns he's in top shape, that would be a great story for the NHL.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

I wonder how many of you would be of the opinion that this was just a freak accident if the person who injured Karlsson wasn't Matt Cooke. Probably all of you.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:00 PM
ryedog*
Triple Gold Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Rollins View Post
I wonder how many of you would be of the opinion that this was just a freak accident if the person who injured Karlsson wasn't Matt Cooke. Probably all of you.
Obviously.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
I suspect the same Sens fans that are blaming him here would still be blaming player X.

I think you are correct in a lot of neutral fans though. I suspect neutral fans would be much more apt to see this as an accident if player X was involved and not Matt Cooke/

Old
02-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hands View Post
Crying? I don't see any tears. Chill out on the hyperbole, bro.

They're not entitled to their opinion? At this point, the NHL considers it a closed matter. While I don't think going on about it in the media is going to accomplish anything, it's completely understandable. I'm not sure you realize how royally screwed the Sens are. Besides the obvious implications on ice, losing Karlsson also affects the bottom line. One less star player to bring people in, the potential loss of revenue if the Sens miss the playoffs.

Of course not! They are radio interviews. Eugene probably hasn't left his bed since it happened.

They are entitled to their opinion but they should structure it so they don't come off as complete whining! Apparently the NHL has a 48 hour waiting period before owners can sound off about events.. I would hate to hear what Melnyk would have said right after the game, would have made him come off even worse I'd imagine.

If its not going to accomplish anything & the NHL has already made up its mind can you just call a spade a spade & call it what it is: whining/crying to the media?

Old
02-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Matt Cooke's past is the reason why he would be capable of doing something like this.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:09 PM
WarriorofTime

Cooke's getting old. He's not able to put up points without Jordan Staal. He's a third line player who was lucky to be playing with a really good 2nd line center (#2 overall pick!). He's 34. He's got a couple years left and he'll be gone soon.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
Matt Cooke's past is the reason why he would be capable of doing something like this.
Of course he's capable, but I'm still not convinced it was deliberate. He has a lengthy history of cheapshots and it's hard for people to give him the benefit of the doubt, which I understand, but I still believe that it was just a horrific accident exasperated by the fact that he was involved, as did the NHL since they didn't hand down any supplementary discipline.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:23 PM
ViCiieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
So when you walk you try to force your foot that is in the air down to the ground as fast as possible? Makes.. sense!

Old
02-15-2013, 06:26 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViCiieux View Post
So when you walk you try to force your foot that is in the air down to the ground as fast as possible? Makes.. sense!
When you walk you don't run your knee into an immovable object....... at least I don't anyway.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:26 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 671
Was searching for a video that shows how to pin someone against the boards. I could only find this one, but at 5:55 I think it shows what Cooke was trying to do.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:31 PM
McFist
@*$&$#!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
Was searching for a video that shows how to pin someone against the boards. I could only find this one, but at 5:55 I think it shows what Cookevwas trying to do.

The difference with that play, a typical pin, is that you lead with your toe. For whatever reason Cooke had the instep of his left foot turned outward, which makes zero sense if you're trying to pin someone.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:34 PM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Of course he's capable, but I'm still not convinced it was deliberate. He has a lengthy history of cheapshots and it's hard for people to give him the benefit of the doubt, which I understand, but I still believe that it was just a horrific accident exasperated by the fact that he was involved, as did the NHL since they didn't hand down any supplementary discipline.
I just think the way the foot came down, and across, was odd. Add Cooke's history, and the fact it was Karlsson, gives me plenty to question.

I believe that Cooke tried to give that little extra, and recklessly injured Karlsson. He obviously didn't mean for this to happen, I hope.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:48 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
Was searching for a video that shows how to pin someone against the boards. I could only find this one, but at 5:55 I think it shows what Cooke was trying to do.

Or he was probably trying to do this at the start....

Old
02-15-2013, 06:52 PM
oilexport
six ring circus

Quote:

When your momentum takes you into the boards and your knee hits an immovable object that tends to drive your leg down.
Not when all your weight is on your right foot. The left foot jabbed for no reason in a quick downward then back-up motion. Cooke has now mastered the art of con man.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo1000 View Post
Hey I haven't read this or the other threads that preceded it but I believe that there's no reason for a player to be lifting his skates off the ice in order to try to hold or control another player with their legs along the boards. Any action like this whether it causes an injury or not should be a penalty. As one of the guests said on off the record today if a cut is caused by accidentally hitting somebody with your stick it's a penalty. Why shouldn't cutting somebody with your skate like this be a penalty too?

Whether it was accidental or not they have to do more to protect the players from injury. You can't use a kicking motion to score a goal partly because they are concerned about potential injury so this should be no different!
Bingo. At best, it was a reckless play from a veteran who should no better

Old
02-15-2013, 07:10 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:
Well, yeah. That's part of the whole thing, isn't it? Cooke made a reputation for himself. That's not OUR fault, that's his fault. He played the game a certain way for so long, and served enough suspensions, that even though he's been "clean" the last season or so, people don't forget how he originally made a name for himself.

I am not one who thinks it was deliberate (and contrary to popular belief, the majority of Sens fans don't either - not the logical ones anyway) ... but I'm also not one to automatically give Cooke the benefit of the doubt. Is that unfair? Maybe. But Cooke brought that upon himself. His reputation follows him and likely always will. That's the risk you take when you play the game he does.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie Grossie View Post
Well, yeah. That's part of the whole thing, isn't it? Cooke made a reputation for himself. That's not OUR fault, that's his fault. He played the game a certain way for so long, and served enough suspensions, that even though he's been "clean" the last season or so, people don't forget how he originally made a name for himself.
So are you saying you're more upset because of the player it was done by than the actual action?

That's very interesting.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:19 PM
smithy

Quote:
So are you saying you're more upset because of the player it was done by than the actual action?

That's very interesting.
No need to play dumb. All Josie said was she's not giving Cooke the benefit of the doubt because of his past reputation. The reason she would be upset is if the action was intended - and the identity of the player provides some insight (not conclusive, obviously) as to whether or not it was intended.

Old
02-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Penny Lane
Sens fan in the USA.

Quote:

That's very interesting.
Is that REALLY what you got out of my post?

Where did I ever talk about what upset me? I'm upset that Karlsson is out for the season and our team will suffer because of it. I'm upset at the chance that Karlsson doesn't regain the speed that made him so fun to watch.

All I said was the reason this issue is even still being discussed as "controversial" is because of the player involved. If Crosby had done it, he'd automatically get the benefit of the doubt that Cooke does not get because of his reputation.

Closed Thread