HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Women's World Championship showing progress of new nations

Old
04-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Comedy

vCash: 500
Women's World Championship showing progress of new nations

I just checked the Women's World standings and was surprised to see that Sweden is currently playing for relegation, and that Germany and Switzerland made the playoff round.

Glad to see some more nations making the playoffs, though I am surprised to see Sweden fallout of the top 4.

Comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:58 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Switzerland was no surprise, since they were slated to make the playoffs from the beginning - and I mean guaranteed by the format, not just expected by the strength of their roster.

You see, the two groups weren't exactly even. A was the "top" group with Canada, USA, Finland and Switzerland, and B was the "bottom" group with Sweden, Russia, Germany and Czech Republic. Per the tournament format, two top teams of Group A advance to semis, whereas two bottom teams of Group A face the two top teams of Group B in a QF. Bottom two teams in Group B relegate. This is supposed to even the blowouts between top and bottom ranked teams.

And the Swiss have been making strides for a while. They actually medaled last year, taking bronze over Finland, which got them the entry to Group A this time around.

Germany advancing over Sweden was a huge upset, though.

Same format will also be in use in Sochi, and the groups will be almost the same either, with Japan taking Czech Republic's place in Group B. So the Swiss will be in playoffs there as well.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Purple hippo

Just to add to your post a little, the Swiss have been coming along nicely for awhile now which is why they moved into the A Pool and auto-qualified for the Quarter-finals.
The Russians have been a nice little surprise this year, they went winless last year and so far are unbeaten, their speed is doing them wonders. It would be nice to see them start stringing together good year after good year.

Its nice to see Germany up into the Quarters after they also qualified for the Olympics. The Czechs have been a very nice suprise and hopefully continue to improve. They made it to the Elite Division for the first time ever and in their first match beat the Swedes. Even though they lost against both the Russians and Germans, its not like they got killed, just still some minor problems they need to work out.
My dream would be they knock out the Swedes but I dont see them taking 2/3 from them.

Speaking about Womens hockey in general, it still has ways to go but from all levels, you start to see countries closing in on each other. Watch out for Hungary and especially Poland in the future.

The Hungarian U-18 group is looking very good. Last year they won their Qualification Group and won Division 1 to make it into Elite Division. Ended up making play-offs and avoided being relegated.

Purple hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:37 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Because the World Ranking after this year's tournament will decide the groups for 2015 games, I can already spoil some of the results two years down the road: Three teams are already guaranteed to be in Group A there also, namely Canada, USA and Finland.

With Sweden relegating, the Finns have enough of a points buffer that only the Swiss and Russians could overtake them if the Finns lose to Germany, but both can't do that because they're facing each other in the QF. Neither can also overtake them in the placement game because Finland currently has 40-point advantage over the Swiss and 75 points over Russia. The winner will only gain 20 points towards them.

Germany can't climb past 5th place in the ranking even if they win the tournament.

Old
04-06-2013, 03:32 PM
joe89

Sweden has gone terribad.. Although I can't give you the reasons for it. Women's hockey just hasn't taken off in Sweden, the girls go for football and handball these days.

Btw, if Sweden gets relegated the 2015 world champs will be played without a host nation, since IIHF doesn't hold a free spot for the host.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 10:18 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

And Germany proves its QF spot was not merely a fluke by losing to Finland only 1-0, keeping it close 'til the end.

Even though we've still to see if they can keep it up, I welcome this development.

And while ranks 3-8 are closing in, we've yet to see a real challenger for the "Big Two" formed by Canada and USA. Finland flirts with that destiny from time to time, but it's obvious there's still a long way to go.

Old
04-07-2013, 10:30 AM
ES

Canada has never lost to anyone else than USA in Women's WC or Olympics, USA has done it twice and never in regulation. Sweden beat them in the shootout in 2006 Olympics semi-finals and Finland won in OT in 2008. Unfortunately for Finland USA then won Canada so Finland didn't make it to the final.

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
And Germany proves its QF spot was not merely a fluke by losing to Finland only 1-0, keeping it close 'til the end.

Even though we've still to see if they can keep it up, I welcome this development.

And while ranks 3-8 are closing in, we've yet to see a real challenger for the "Big Two" formed by Canada and USA. Finland flirts with that destiny from time to time, but it's obvious there's still a long way to go.
If we had the resources those two have at their disposal (finance, coaching, training facilities), we might challenge them.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:36 PM
boris4c

I doubt Sweden gets relegated; that will most likely be the Czech Republic. I saw the Czechs play against the University of Ottawa women's team (a mediocre team in the CIS) just a couple days before the start of the tournament. The Czech Republic won that game 6-3. I'm willing to bet that the better CIS teams would defeat them, so it goes to show that the sport is still very underdevelopped.

The format is a little bit weird but it's not bad; the four teams from Group A (the stronger group) automatically qualifiy for the quarterfinals, and they are joined by the top two teams from Group B (Russia & Germany), whereas the bottom two teams go in the relegation round.

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:27 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris4c View Post
The format is a little bit weird but it's not bad; the four teams from Group A (the stronger group) automatically qualifiy for the quarterfinals, and they are joined by the top two teams from Group B (Russia & Germany), whereas the bottom two teams go in the relegation round.
Slight correction: As I stated above, the bottom two of Group A qualify for QFs alongside with top two of Group B. Top two of Group A go straight to semis.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Found a stream for the Finland-USA game: http://www.worldwomen2013.com/en/media/live!/sbp-arena/ Ratio is off and can't be changed. I just have to say that Noora Räty has to be the best goalie Finland has ever had in women. Several highlight reel saves already.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:17 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I just have to say that Noora Räty has to be the best goalie Finland has ever had in women.
Finland? Definitely. And she's making a real case for being the best one the whole sport has had.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Ridiculous save by Räty at the end of the period! 34 saves after two, US goalie only has 8. There was almost a fight as well.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:31 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Finland lose 3:0 at the end

Last edited by vsk92: 04-08-2013 at 04:47 PM.
vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:59 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Räty proving again why she's the best Women's goaltender in the World! On any given day come February 2014, she has the capability of putting up a wall against whomever opponent and creating an upset for Finland!

habsrule4eva3089 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:03 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
Russia getting outplayed by Canada, but managing to be tied still in the first.

I'll expect Canada wins by at least 4 though. Probably 6 or 8. How many girls/women playing hockey in Russia? A few hundred? A thousand tops is my bet. Too bad Canada/US are the only serious competitors in this every year. BTW, what happened to Sweden?

*edit* At end of first Canada has outshot Russia 22-4. Wickenheiser has scored for Canada. Sun to rise tomorrow.

Last edited by octopi: 04-08-2013 at 07:12 PM.
octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:40 PM
octopi

Well, the women's hockey is faster than when I stopped watching it. Unfortunately not more competitive. It's Canada and the US with the only chances of winning it all, same as every year.

Really disappointed Sweden hasn't stepped forward with a better program yet.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:58 PM
octopi

So, any televising for the bronze medal game? Or only the gold?

Old
04-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule4eva3089 View Post
Räty proving again why she's the best Women's goaltender in the World! On any given day come February 2014, she has the capability of putting up a wall against whomever opponent and creating an upset for Finland!
We'd also need for someone to score goals too. Lost the bronze medal game 0-2 to Russia.

Old
04-09-2013, 06:53 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Canada 1 USA 0

Laser of a shot that fooled the US goalie.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:17 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Canada 1 USA 0

Laser of a shot that fooled the US goalie.
What a start to the game! The pace is incredible, SZABADOS made the saves early and then our ladies got their legs going!

Old
04-09-2013, 07:48 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

USA 2 -Canada 1...

Canada is getting smoked in the 2nd period. Americans are way too fast.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:53 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Finally... 2-2

Old
04-09-2013, 07:56 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

5 on 5 the Americans are dominant. Goaltending (very good for Canada; poor for the U.S.) is the ONLY thing keeping this close.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:00 PM
habsrule4eva3089

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
5 on 5 the Americans are dominant. Goaltending (very good for Canada; poor for the U.S.) is the ONLY thing keeping this close.
They had a great second but rode the momentum from their POWERPLAYs, Canada will be stronger come the last 20. Once we get the puck down low and start getting it cycling and our d involved that's where we can have them! Escaping that ferocious forecheck is vital, starts there!