HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Manny Malhotra out for the season (on IR)

Old
02-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Pseudonymous*

vCash: 500
It will be switched to LTIR eventually, thats when they'll most likely give them the data

Pseudonymous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:26 PM
MarcusKane

Hope thing's work out so that he will play hockey again. I for one hope he remains within this organization for many years to come. I'd still love to resign him on a new contract(obviously for less). Even if this doesn't become reality, as others have said. Having someone like him in management would do nothing but good for us.

MarcusKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Dado

vCash:
Are there any CBA implications from having him retire and immediately giving him a well paying coaching or front office job?

Old
02-14-2013, 02:30 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
^It's not LTIR, just IR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiLui View Post
Yea Mackenzie just sent out a tweet saying its just IR not LTIR so no extra cap space just the active roster spot https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...48475716530176

I expect that's only until the Canucks hit the upper limit. If a guy can get on IR then he can get on LTIR as long as he's out for long enough which Malhotra will be.

For instance, Booth isn't on LTIR but he could easily be placed on there if the need arose.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:30 PM
LuiLui

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocanucks676 View Post

I really wish everyone on the team would wear a visor.
I still remember that..didn't he have a three point night with 2 goals? He was soo good before he got hurt. Had like 10 goals that year too while being dominant defensively.

LuiLui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:31 PM
trytobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
It is of course nothing Malholtra or anyone wishes, no matter what the reason is for this.

But with that said, the team is actually prepared for just this kind of situation. It feels good from the team perspective that it is more like "interesting" than like "We are the Sens".
i actually think the canucks are one of, is not the most, well-prepared teams when it comes to injuries. we've had to deal with ridiculous strings of injuries pretty much every season to the point where, absent Kes and Booth, we've rolled to an 8-2-2 start in a shortened season. it's one area where i really think AV and the coaching staff doesn't get enough credit.

trytobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Aqualung

Guess Higgins bro was almost right.

Wish Manny speedy recovery.

Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:33 PM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Manny's eye never looked good even after all the surgeries. It really sucks for him. I wouldn't doubt that come summer he'll be hired on as a player liason, similar to the role that Craig Conroy has with the Flames.

CalgaryCanuck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:38 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
I expect that's only until the Canucks hit the upper limit. If a guy can get on IR then he can get on LTIR as long as he's out for long enough which Malhotra will be.

For instance, Booth isn't on LTIR but he could easily be placed on there if the need arose.
Yeah, my guess is that they leave Manny on IR where essentially nothing changes with our cap situation as it's been (other than opening up the roster spot to activate Kesler), and we're slowly accruing a little bit of cap space each day we're under...then at say the deadline, if/when we acquire a player or players that push us up against the upper limit, Manny goes on LTIR and we use that to exceed the cap limit up to that $2.5M if needed.

And i'd wager Gillis will be looking for a LH faceoff guy.

Hopefully Manny is able to continue in some capacity with the team...ideally as something like a 'skills coach' for tutoring in Faceoff skills, potentially with the Farm tearm as well.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:43 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

vCash: 50
I ****ing love Malhotra. This is depressing.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Wolfhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
They gave him the option of they putting him on waivers or he retiring

They need the roster space since Kesler and Booth are back shortly and
Schroeder needs to stay
This is exactly what I thought as well.

Wolfhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Karl Hungus

vCash: 833
That's a real shame. I still felt that Manny had a place on this team even with Kesler and Booth coming back. He was a good person and his skill at taking face-offs will definitely be missed.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:49 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
That's a real shame. I still felt that Manny had a place on this team even with Kesler and Booth coming back. He was a good person and his skill at taking face-offs will definitely be missed.
If we win it all this year, he better be getting a ring and his name on that cup.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Zanon

Just wasn't the same after that eye incident.

Never'll forget his two-goal game against Detroit a couple of years ago when he got first star.

Zanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Diamonddog01
Diamond in the rough

That's a shame. His eye injury in 2011 caused a domino effect that caused us issues in the final IMO.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Jyrki
trust in linden CREW

Heartbreaking

Jyrki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Canadian Gold X3
Playoff Bound

He was never the same player after the eye injury

Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:16 PM
YogiCanucks

I think this is worked out best case scenario considering the injury.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Fat Tony
Fire Benning

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Hopefully Manny is able to continue in some capacity with the team...ideally as something like a 'skills coach' for tutoring in Faceoff skills, potentially with the Farm tearm as well.
I hope so. He brought the other centers up a notch.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Carl Carlson

Too bad, I think it might be time for him to hang em up. The injury may have healed but his game has gone downhill since. Too bad because he was so solid before the injury. Like others have said I hope he stays with the organization in some capacity. Seems like a really good guy.

Carl Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:21 PM
tantalum

I really don't believe this was really some sort of choice for Malhotra to make or a somewhat underhanded thing by the canucks to get Malhotra off the roster in some way. While players can be left on the IR after they are fully healed to clear roster spots or cap, a team can not simply put a guy on the IR "just because". There has to be a valid medical reason for doing so. To do otherwise is to likely sacrifice serious amounts of money and draft picks in cap circumvention fines. Especially given the warning shot the majority of league governors fired with the whole back diving contracts cap recovery thing.

Really, given the severity of his injury it may very well be that body contact etc has started to cause issues.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:24 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
That's a shame. His eye injury in 2011 caused a domino effect that caused us issues in the final IMO.
I know it's meaningless to look back, but had we had 4 healthy centers that run in 2011 (Hank, Kes, Manny, Lappy) we still might've had a chance. That's like if the Hawks were missing Bolland, or the Bruins not having Bergeron in their lineup.

Seriously think the players should all wear visors. It's not about toughness anymore - you even have Bieksa being the frontman for the Mind Check initiative. Safety and well-being should come above all else. The culture of hockey needs to change.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:24 PM
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff
MG on Manny: hardest thing I've done in this job
Quote:
Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff
MG on Manny: for long-term health & safety, best thing to do. Was club's decision
Quote:
MG on Manny: will stay with team. Haven't defined role. Terrific person/spokesperson. Have asked him to stay on. Will sort out particulars
Quote:
MG on Manny: a lesser person wouldn't have come back from what he's endured
Quote:
MG on Manny: came to this decision last year, but wanted to give Manny summer to train. Wanted to give him 10 games to see if change
Quote:
MG on Manny: he understood where I was coming from. And he knew there were times where he was at much higher risk. But's a very proud guy
Update on Maholtra

The Horvatian One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
In what world has Ebbett come close to outplaying Schroeder? He hasn't even come close to playing as an NHL'er.

Sucks for Manny. I hope if he's done, the Canucks will make him a part of the organization. It's not fair what happened to him. It would be great to still see him a part of this team.
That was not the point I was making, Any way that,s OT so..

On to Manny any word on a public press release or interview. Or is it just Tweets of a press release. I hate how they twist what is said in tweets. Any help much appreciated

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:32 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
Update on Maholtra
Thanks for that. Still had hope he was over the worst of it and would be able to cope with it while still playing, but I guess the physical side of the game was getting to be a real danger to his eye long-term.

Nonetheless, I am so ****ing proud of that man for trying to come back from what he went through.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote