HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Never Wanted This Many Players Off Our Team Before

Old
02-28-2013, 02:57 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
Never Wanted This Many Players Off Our Team Before

Thomas Vanek ("A") - 19 Cody Hodgson - 29 Jason Pominville ("C")
9 Steve Ott - 63 Tyler Ennis - 42 Nathan Gerbe
55 Jochen Hecht - 12 Kevin Porter - 21 Drew Stafford ("A")
82 Marcus Foligno - 25 Mikhail Grigorenko - 36 Patrick Kaleta

wow, this is one ugly lineup....I can't remember the last time, or if ever that I wanted half the forwards either off the team, or in Rochester...

DO NOT WANT ON TEAM:

or I prefer these players in the minors:

Stafford - Mr.Inconsistent can be traded
Hecht - enough said
Porter - Is he really NHL material ?
Foligno - needs to go the Racha for a while
Grigs - should not be here
Gerbe - would not shed a tear if he was traded - however if there was one player I would give a second chance it would be him

So basically half the starting forwards on our team I wish to see gone.....

So remove those players, and this is what you have:

9 Steve Ott - 63 Tyler Ennis - BLANK

BLANK - BLANK -BLANK

BLANK - BLANK - 36 Patrick Kaleta

Looks like Darcy signed the wrong players (a case could even be made that matching Oiler's offer sheet for Vanek was wrong), and relied way to much on younger players to come through which obviously they haven't.....

Doesn't look like a playoff team to me at all, and would like to see Darcy gone....

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 03:05 AM
Jacob582

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post

wow, this is one ugly lineup....I can't remember the last time, or if ever that I wanted half the forwards either off the team, or in Rochester...

DO NOT WANT ON TEAM:

Hecht - enough said
Gerbe - would not shed a tear if he was traded - however if there was one player I would give a second chance it would be him

BLANK - BLANK -BLANK

Looks like Darcy signed the wrong players (a case could even be made that matching Oiler's offer sheet for Vanek was wrong), and relied way to much on younger players to come through which obviously they haven't.....

Doesn't look like a playoff team to me at all, and would like to see Darcy gone....
Good thing they already waived McCormick and Ellis or your list would be even longer.

I pretty much agree with your list. Porter got all of Hecht's PK time in the last game. Hecht won't be in their future plans, but Porter could be. Give him a shot now so you know what you need for next season.

Last edited by Jacob582: 02-28-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 04:29 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post

DO NOT WANT ON TEAM:

Hecht - enough said

BLANK - BLANK -BLANK

I think we're seeing exactly what everybody expected from Foligno. Disagree with Porter, Foligno and Grigs but other than that I can't complain. Not up to me though.

Did everyone think moving away from 16 years of Ruff was going to happen overnight? No this is going to take till next season, if not longer. Most of these players have only played for him. Unlearning everything to learn a new system will take time.

Players like Hecht and Stafford have no job being here but most of them I'm willing to give a second chance to. Someone does need to tell Myers the world doesn't rest on his shoulders though...

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 05:08 AM
Luceni

While grigs for sure has been rushed to the nhl level too early, he shows at least flashes of his talent. Besides the most time he has to play with bad players like Hecht, Gerbe, MCormick or Kaleta/Ott who are just not on the same talent level than grigs and they can't lead him neither.

Foligno is not playing great at the moment for sure but his linemates are inconsistent too. at least he is more physical than Gerbe, Ennis and Stafford together.

But I agree that Porter, Ellis, McCormick and Hecht don't belong to the nhl.

And I want Stafford gone too.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:21 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

I think you're missing Leino...

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:25 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
And Leopold, and Enroth and Brennan.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:30 AM
beerme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
I think you're right in that you're wrong. We are missing Leino. I can't believe I'm saying this but I sure wishe was here!

beerme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 06:39 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
I'm not sure how you can come up with a list like this and not mention any defensemen, considering that's the weakest part of this team.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:06 AM
aceface33

Agreed. This is pretty much why our team sucks. Nice job Darcy!

aceface33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:29 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerme1 View Post
I think you're right in that you're wrong. We are missing Leino. I can't believe I'm saying this but I sure wishe was here!
Why so we could add him to the list of inconsistent players?

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
I'm not sure how you can come up with a list like this and not mention any defensemen, considering that's the weakest part of this team.
I'd say secondary scoring is the weakest part of our game, but yeah the defense blows too.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 07:46 AM
RattleYourSabre

I honestly feel that part of the problem we have is keeping VHP together. And I know, that's going to illicit people to groan and act like I don't have a clue. And truthfully, I may not. But, at least hear me out.

I would completely reorder the lines to get some kind of production out of EACH line. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and this is what I've come up with... And this is with players we currently have... Not a fantasy lineup

Vanek - Hodgson - Ennis: Why? Well, obviously the defensive players in this list leaves something to be desired, so I'd try to pair them with our top defensive unit as much as possible. However, these three together would possibly be the best scoring line we could put on the ice other than a line of VHP.

Stafford - Porter/Grigorenko - Pominville: Why? Well, Even though Porter hasn't been overly impressive, I was tempted to put him up with this group in the middle due to a lack of better options and say Grigs should be sent back down. But he's up now. Pairing him with Pominville gives him a real player to play with, and might put a little extra pep in his step. Or it might not. But it's giving him an opportunity. Stafford isn't playing well at the moment, but he's a better option than the linemates Grigs had been playing with.

Ott - McCormick - Kaleta: Why? Tough player line. The "heart" line. Bring them in to start smacking people around and play sound hockey. The only guy on this line that really produces on any kind of level is Mr. Ott, but the three of them together has "spark plug" written all over it. This line, when totaled together in season statistics is at a +1. (3, -2, 0 respectively)

Gerbe - Hecht/Porter - Foligno: Why? This could function as more of our fourth line. Foligno needs to stop the dangling stuff, and once he does that he could move up to the second line and replace Stafford (unless Stafford heats up). Hecht is a decent defensive center, so you get that in this line. Gerbe is heart and hustle personified, but he's small and doesn't produce much. Foligno needs to fix a few things. Porter can interchange with Hecht for scratches. Hecht won't be a part of this team next year so it's important we get a solid evaluation of Porter. This is probably my, "disappointed in this group" line.

Might be an out there idea. Might even be crazy. But hey, when you're 15th in your conference maybe crazy is good?

Oh, and for the record, when you put together lines like this you REALLY figure out that we are pretty talent deprived across the board. It's bad.

RattleYourSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Arrive at my level

It doesn't have to be that way. This team can be better if they care. Or had the fire

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 08:35 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
but Porter could be. Give him a shot now so you know what you need for next season.
I am willing to give him a shot...In all honesty I have not gotten to watch much of him...But from what I have read on here and elsewhere i that he is not standing out at all.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:39 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
And Leopold, and Enroth and Brennan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
I'd say secondary scoring is the weakest part of our game, but yeah the defense blows too.
You know the reason I started this thread was that this was going to be a reply in today's GDT...I was so aggravated at looking at our forwards that Woodhouse had posted....But then when I was all done with this thread I thought I probably could have added d-men to the list, or started a separate thread for them as well.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:41 AM
Boose30

Thank god we signed John Scott otherwise we would have really been in trouble.

Boose30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:13 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by S319R11S16 View Post
Why so we could add him to the list of inconsistent players?
Lets see what he can do under Rolston, I'm still not counting him out.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:35 AM
MayDayMayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre View Post
I honestly feel that part of the problem we have is keeping VHP together. And I know, that's going to illicit people to groan and act like I don't have a clue. And truthfully, I may not. But, at least hear me out.

I would completely reorder the lines to get some kind of production out of EACH line. I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and this is what I've come up with... And this is with players we currently have... Not a fantasy lineup

Vanek - Hodgson - Ennis: Why? Well, obviously the defensive players in this list leaves something to be desired, so I'd try to pair them with our top defensive unit as much as possible. However, these three together would possibly be the best scoring line we could put on the ice other than a line of VHP.

Stafford - Porter/Grigorenko - Pominville: Why? Well, Even though Porter hasn't been overly impressive, I was tempted to put him up with this group in the middle due to a lack of better options and say Grigs should be sent back down. But he's up now. Pairing him with Pominville gives him a real player to play with, and might put a little extra pep in his step. Or it might not. But it's giving him an opportunity. Stafford isn't playing well at the moment, but he's a better option than the linemates Grigs had been playing with.

Ott - McCormick - Kaleta: Why? Tough player line. The "heart" line. Bring them in to start smacking people around and play sound hockey. The only guy on this line that really produces on any kind of level is Mr. Ott, but the three of them together has "spark plug" written all over it. This line, when totaled together in season statistics is at a +1. (3, -2, 0 respectively)

Gerbe - Hecht/Porter - Foligno: Why? This could function as more of our fourth line. Foligno needs to stop the dangling stuff, and once he does that he could move up to the second line and replace Stafford (unless Stafford heats up). Hecht is a decent defensive center, so you get that in this line. Gerbe is heart and hustle personified, but he's small and doesn't produce much. Foligno needs to fix a few things. Porter can interchange with Hecht for scratches. Hecht won't be a part of this team next year so it's important we get a solid evaluation of Porter. This is probably my, "disappointed in this group" line.

Might be an out there idea. Might even be crazy. But hey, when you're 15th in your conference maybe crazy is good?

Oh, and for the record, when you put together lines like this you REALLY figure out that we are pretty talent deprived across the board. It's bad.
I've been BEGGING for those top two since the Toronto "1-second left" game. For the love of everything holy, Grigs and Staff NEED to be playing with each other. Pominville on that line would be a bonus b/c it would be adding consistency where we'd arguably need it most.

Vanek-Hodgson-Ennis
Stafford-Grigs-Pominville
Gerbe-Ott-Foligno
Scott-McCormick-Kaleta

THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
Lets see what he can do under Rolston, I'm still not counting him out.
While I'd be equally intrigued by Leino's prospects in a new system, I'm inclined to believe we won't get to see it and that he's getting bought out at the end of the year.

MayDayMayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:44 AM
LGB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeurekasky View Post
I've been BEGGING for those top two since the Toronto "1-second left" game. For the love of everything holy, Grigs and Staff NEED to be playing with each other. Pominville on that line would be a bonus b/c it would be adding consistency where we'd arguably need it most.

Vanek-Hodgson-Ennis
Gerbe-Ott-Foligno
Scott-McCormick-Kaleta

THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

While I'd be equally intrigued by Leino's prospects in a new system, I'm inclined to believe we won't get to see it and that he's getting bought out at the end of the year.
You guys understand with these lines, you have Ennis a left shot playing right wing and Vanek a right shot playing left wing. 2 Right wingers on the second line being centred by a player who isn't even close to NHL ready. This just makes our centre position even thinner, and won't help us at all at in the face off circle

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:51 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

I look at the roster this way...

Before the beginning of next season, the players that I expect to not be here...

Leopold
Hecht

Players that may not be here next season...

Regehr
Leino
Enroth

Besides what's listed, the Players that I would like the Sabres to move...

Stafford
Gerbe

I think the holes are bigger than replacing Sulzer or Weber. I don't mind them being the 6/7 defenseman.

If all those players do in fact move out of the organization, that's a huge roster change. So for the simple exercise of current players off the team, that's significant.

Now, who to realistically bring in to replace them is an entirely different animal.

One thing I don't want is a bunch of unproven rookies littering the roster like Girgensons, Armia, etc.... We already have a few struggling rookies in Foligno, and Grigorenko.

Last edited by ZZamboni: 02-28-2013 at 09:58 AM.
ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 09:55 AM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
You guys understand with these lines, you have Ennis a left shot playing right wing and Vanek a right shot playing left wing. 2 Right wingers on the second line being centred by a player who isn't even close to NHL ready. This just makes our centre position even thinner, and won't help us at all at in the face off circle
Vanek is a left wing with a right shot and he currently plays left wing.

As for two right wingers playing together on the second line, yes. I know. And yes, I'm aware that the center position is weak. I wouldn't say this weakens it any more than it already is, to be honest.

What would be the other choices? Our current line set ups? Those aren't working.

I know it's not ideal to ever do that, believe me. However, our roster is pretty poorly constructed.

RattleYourSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:00 AM
MayDayMayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
Bold: Well then have Van and Enzo switch sides if you have to, no worries.

As for the second line, here's my argument. Grigs shoots left, so there's some balance in there. But more importantly, I think that he needs to be put around other playmakers. Plus, Pominville could take the opportunity to mentor Grigs' defensive game. Finally, he and Grigs have more collective offensive creativity than Ennis and Foligno, so I think that'd kickstart Stafford. He's a bigger body, let's put him down low and start having Pom and Grigs start tossin pucks his way.

MayDayMayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:02 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeurekasky View Post

Vanek-Hodgson-Ennis
Gerbe-Ott-Foligno
Scott-McCormick-Kaleta

THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

My gut agrees with you. A last bit of fan service in the hope Reiger keeps his job.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:52 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Here is my list:

Ennis - keep
Foligno - keep
Gerbe - meh
Grigorenko - keep (should have gone back to the Q, though)
Hecht - GTFO
Hodgson - keep
Kaleta - keep
Leino - GTFO
Ott - keep
Pominville - keep
Porter - meh
Scott - meh
Stafford - GTFO
Vanek - keep

Brennan - meh
Ehrhoff - meh
Leopold - GTFO
Myers - meh
Pardy - meh
Regehr - GTFO
Sekera - meh
Sulzer - meh
Weber - meh

Miller - meh
Enroth - meh

My issue with the roster isn't that I hate a ton of guys, it's the lack of any real keepers on the blueline or in goal.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2013, 10:57 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Why is Ehrhoff only meh?

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote