HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruff Didn't Score Enough: Trades 'n' FAs II

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2013, 01:54 PM
sba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasek View Post
Who is Ryan O'Reilly and what has he accomplished to warrant being traded for a guy who has outperformed him every year in the NHL (Ennis) and Sekera?
Read this thread and the last, what he brings to the table has been beaten to death.

Quick recap though: 21yr old 50-60 point second line center, great defensively, good on draws.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:55 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Avs fans have a source that says that Oreilly will not sign an offersheet
Probably because he just wants out of COL at this point, and an offer sheet gives them a chance to keep him.
Which leads me to think the bidding war for him in a trade is going to start at much lower prices than what fans have been throwing around on HF. Colorado's in a situation where they're either wasting an asset or trading him, and something is better than nothing.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Hasek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Read this thread and the last, what he brings to the table has been beaten to death.

Quick recap though: 21yr old 50-60 point second line center, great defensively, good on draws.
Why would anyone offer Ennis for him? Especially since he's demanding so much money. tsujimoto74 described it perfectly. Colorado's in a situation where they're either wasting an asset or trading him, and something is better than nothing. I'd offer a 2nd rounder for him or maybe Luke Adam.

Fun fact. According to Hockey Reference Ryan O'Reilly's has a career similarity score of 93.1 with Ville Leino.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Eichel 9

Quote:
Why would anyone offer Ennis for him? Especially since he's demanding so much money. tsujimoto74 described it perfectly. Colorado's in a situation where they're either wasting an asset or trading him, and something is better than nothing. I'd offer a 2nd rounder for him or maybe Luke Adam.

Fun fact. According to Hockey Reference Ryan O'Reilly's has a career similarity score of 93.1 with Ville Leino.
Stop looking at stats and try watching the kid play, he plays well enough defensively to win a Selke and scored 55 points as a 21 year old. We are desperately missing a center that plays well at both ends.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:12 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:

I remember in the not too distant past that Buffalo was in a similar position with an asset, they ended up waiting and getting two highly thought of prospects. You might have forgotten that little trade though as it was Peca for Connolly and Pyatt. Colorado is in a strong position as they can just hold on to him until he caves, since he has no negotiating leeway, or wait and move him to the highest bidder.

Personally it they can't make a reasonable move, I'd wait until after the draft where the Sabres use their top 5 pick and then offer sheet him if he hasn't already been traded.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
In addition to TFP (O'Reilly), Eklund also threw some **** on the wall too:
Quote:
According to an OUTSTANDING source close to the situation, the Sabres are looking to make a major move and will not accept slipping out of the playoff hunt.

"Iginla would be a key player for the Sabres. Calgary would want several pieces, one of which being Enroth in the deal...the Flames may become one of the first teams who is Ok in taking a 'seller stance' but I wouldn't call that a given at this time."

While the Flames are still a possible playoff team, the general feeling is they are unbalanced...too laden with money being spent on the defensive end of things...

The Sabres, according to my sources, are also heavily interested in Winnipeg Jet, Evander Kane and have looked into possibly doing a deal with Phoenix for a D-man as well....

Old
02-15-2013, 02:27 PM
wunderpanda
sabre of damocles

Ennis, Stafford and Myers for Kane please

Old
02-15-2013, 02:30 PM
Eichel 9

Iginla? He is a UFA you trade for at the deadline if you are a cup contender, no thank you!

I'm also not a big fan of Evander Kane, I'd rather have O'Reilly to be honest. I wouldn't be willing to give the assets it would take to land Kane, pass.

Phoenix D-man? Yandle has been rumored to be available, but what would it take?

Old
02-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Girgenburger
doginthebathtub

Anybody read Eklund's latest blog? Let me just say flat out, I'm not interested in your assessment of Eklund as an insider/rumor tracker. Some of these ideas might make some sense for Buffalo.

Quote:
According to an OUTSTANDING source close to the situation, the Sabres are looking to make a major move and will not accept slipping out of the playoff hunt.
Quote:
"Iginla would be a key player for the Sabres. Calgary would want several pieces, one of which being Enroth in the deal...the Flames may become one of the first teams who is Ok in taking a 'seller stance' but I wouldn't call that a given at this time."
Quote:
The Sabres, according to my sources, are also heavily interested in Winnipeg Jet, Evander Kane and have looked into possibly doing a deal with Phoenix for a D-man as well....
I take everything with a grain of salt, but keeping in mind that Eklund has been decently accurate recently (he was on the Timonen signing before anyone else), let's speculate. I don't believe the Sabres want anything to do with Iginla. I think Regier realizes that Jarome is running out of gas and isn't nearly as effective as he used to be. Makes no sense to go after an aging rental who becomes a UFA at year's end.

I think the truth in this article is that Buffalo is interested in Evander Kane. If they lose out on the O'Reilly sweepstakes, I can see Darcy shifting his focus to Cheveldeyoff. If he can't improve the center position, I think his next move would be to improve the wingers surrounding his young centers. Kane's cap hit this year is 5.25 million. Would you take on that salary to basically have a second Vanek? What would you offer?

Lastly, in a speculatory manner I am pretty confident that Regier has at least contacted Maloney. I think the Sabres want Yandle, and I have a gut feeling Phoenix wants Ennis as part of a package. Could also be Rundblad, but Yandle is the top pairing d-man who could kickstart Myers.

What say you?

EDIT: somebody beat me to it.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Iginla wouldn't be bad as a leadership-type move. And Kane's talented.

I'd rather get O'Reilly though.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:39 PM
McTank

Lets get yandle out of phoenix and O'Reilly out of colorado

Old
02-15-2013, 02:42 PM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
None of those players play center...

Old
02-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Girgenburger
doginthebathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
I feel as though going after Kane or Yandle signifies that Darcy doesn't see a fix to the center position right now (or not one worth pursuing) and will address it this offseason.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:46 PM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Lets get yandle out of phoenix and O'Reilly out of colorado
Is that even possible with the Avs and Yotes budgetary constraints and where the Sabres are versus the cap?

Old
02-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
faceoffs smaceoffs...

Old
02-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
Is that even possible with the Avs and Yotes budgetary constraints and where the Sabres are versus the cap?
It is, actually.

Yandle is $5.25 million against the cap and let's assume a tidy $4.5 for ROR.
Assuming we use Sekera as the primary piece for ROR and Ennis as the primary piece for Yandle, that clears $5+ million off of our cap and allows us to slide in Yandle and ROR under the cap.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:55 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
It is, actually.

Assuming we use Sekera as the primary piece for ROR and Ennis as the primary piece for Yandle, that clears $5+ million off of our cap and allows us to slide in Yandle and ROR under the cap.
That's some NHL 13 Be A GM stuff right there. You'd basically have to sell the farm to get both of them.

Old
02-15-2013, 02:56 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
That's some NHL 13 Be A GM stuff right there. You'd basically have to sell the farm to get both of them.
I didn't say it was reasonable, merely possible.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

I'd trade Ennis for him because Ryan O'reilly is the type of player you want if your are serious about contending. And Tyler Ennis is a nice complimentary offensive piece.

It's the same reason you would take a 50 pt Jonathan Toews over Kris Versteeg.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:01 PM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
It is, actually.

But what are the deals that work within the budgets that the Yotes and Avs have for this season?

Old
02-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
That's the thing... usually most Sabres fans are willing to throw in the usual scrubs or underperformers in most deals, but not much of value.

But for ROR? I've seen mostly offers are ARE good deals, at least considering what other teams fans have been offering.

Offering the likes of two of Ennis, Sekera, Armia and Girgs? No fleecing there and that's a little uncharacteristic of Sabres fans as a whole, but shows how badly he's desired.
I've noticed the same thing. It's encouraging.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Zman5778

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post
But what are the deals that work within the budgets that the Yotes and Avs have for this season?
The PHX side is easy -- as long as Ennis is the only current roster player to go from BUF to PHX, then there's no issue, as PHX would save money.

The Avs side is a little dicier -- I would think that whatever they had earmarked for ROR is less than what Sekera makes, but I could see them asking us to take on salary (maybe O'Byrne?).

Financially, it could certainly work for all 3 sides.

Realistically, we'd put some serious C4 in our prospect stable. Getting both Yandle and ROR, I'd imagine that Catenacci would likely be our best forward prospect left and it's plausible that McCabe would be our best defensive prospect left. Maybe we could hold onto Zemgus or Pysyk or McNabb, but I can't imagine more than one of them.

And we'd also have to figure out how to deal with 3 Dmen occupying a cap hit of nearly $15 million, on top of a likely nice bump in salary for CoHo coming.

It is possible? Sure?

Plausible? Not without severely restricting moves going forward.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I've noticed the same thing. It's encouraging.
What if COL asked for Myers +, would you still do it?

Old
02-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Zman5778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Tasty View Post
What if COL asked for Myers +, would you still do it?
That IMMEDIATELY triggers the "Yandle to Buffalo" scenario in my mind.

And the only way I consider Myers PLUS is if the plus is something relatively minor -- Luke Adam maybe.

But, Ennis, Sekera, Zemgus, McNabb, Pysyk and McCabe are all off the table if Myers is the main piece in a ROR deal.

If Regier can flip Myers for ROR and then Ennis + for Yandle, then yes I do it.

But Myers for ROR better not be the only move made.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Eichel 9

Colorado wasn't willing to pay O'Reilly, so I'm not sure they'd even be interested in a slumping Myers with a huge contract attached. It just really wouldn't make any sense for them.

Closed Thread