HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League: 2013 season Pt2 - Realignment a go

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 11:51 AM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Is it safe to say the Flames are now us pre-rebuild? the league's joke and a team that can't win anywhere?

Old
03-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
COL screwed up. If this was the case. You tank for a week you hope CBJ wins 2 games and WSH 1. You then reject, take the picks and take RoR off waivers.
Yeah if this report is true, Sherman screwed up almost as much as Feaster did by matching within 4 hours without doing his due diligence.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:52 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
COL screwed up. If this was the case. You tank for a week you hope CBJ wins 2 games and WSH 1. You then reject, take the picks and take RoR off waivers.
Yeah for sure, send that message through the locker room.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Is it safe to say the Flames are now us pre-rebuild? the league's joke and a team that can't win anywhere?
They won't hit that low until they lose Iginla as a UFA this summer. I suppose that is still an if but knowing Ken King and Feaster I am starting to suspect it's a when.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:56 AM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
They won't hit that low until they lose Iginla as a UFA this summer. I suppose that is still an if but knowing Ken King and Feaster I am starting to suspect it's a when.
I almost, ALMOST feel bad for Feaster. Out of the playoffs for three years (soon to be four) and they still try and try again. The door slammed shut years ago and he probably knows it. But Ken King refuses to have them rebuild the Oilers way. Sure it might not work but what they're doing isn't working either.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:59 AM
0ilerman
The King

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417107

canucks claim Sestito

Cap reasons brought about this little roster shuffle?

Old
03-01-2013, 12:02 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Yeah for sure, send that message through the locker room.
Very easy, call up your goalie from the ECHL.

Although last night Varlamov wasn't exactly good.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:03 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417108

Even TSN has the story now! What a buffoon Feaster is! And to think people were applauding him for a move in which he didn't even know the rules.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:04 PM
joestevens29

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
For those asking, yes, my understanding is if COL hadn't matched CGY offer on O'Reilly, CGY would have had to put him on waivers to play now

Here's the key, did Feaster know this? Maybe there was no intent to play him this year.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
For those asking, yes, my understanding is if COL hadn't matched CGY offer on O'Reilly, CGY would have had to put him on waivers to play now

Here's the key, did Feaster know this? Maybe there was no intent to play him this year.
So pay him 9 million to play just one season? Feaster definitely ****ed up.

Also according to Bobby Mac's tweets he's saying that a change in this years CBA is what changed it for Colorado. Since they ahve him on their reserve list he's allowed to come pay this year and be exempt from waivers. So even someone like Klefbom, if the Oilers have him on reserve list could come paly for the Oilers this season(if he wasn't hurt).

Old
03-01-2013, 12:12 PM
joestevens29

Well that's why I didn't know what was up. Like I said before here is your loophole for teams at the cap.

What's fascinating is that a change in the new CBA is all that separated COL from having to put O'Reilly on waivers now to get him in lineup

In other words, in this new CBA, team can sign one of its own RFAs or draft picks out of Europe in mid-season and get in lineup w/o waivers.

Old
03-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Can't wipe the smile off my face over this O'Reilly offersheet boondoggle.

Flames fans need to ask themselves if they want a complete and total incompetent like Feaster to continue running their team. A quick review is in order:

1. They start the season with no competent backup goaltender, and have waived 3 goaltenders already this year due to their inability to play at an NHL level. They had absolutely no depth or quality prospects in their system - blame lies with Feaster. In a bizarre move, Feaster puts all of his backup goaltenders on waivers, so that the team is in a position where they would end up keeping and playing the one that didn't get claimed. Why would he let other teams make the decision as to who the Flames backup would be? Nutbar stuff.

2. The Flames start the season with 3 centers on their roster - Stajan, Backlund, and Jones. Earlier in the summer, Feaster lets Jokinen walk and offers Cervenka a contract, thinking he is a center. When Cervenka gets to camp, he reveals that he is in fact a winger and has hardly played the center ice position. It is obvious that this is terrible pro scouting - another area of the organization Feaster is responsible for. The Flames obviously didn't do their due diligence. Did they even watch the player, or interview him before signing him to a contract? They decide to convert Cammalleri and/or Tanguay to center to fill the hole - both have performed poorly.

3. Now, Feaster screws up an offersheet in a manner that publicly humiliates the entire organization, and reaffirms that the clowns running this team are clueless about the CBA. As poorly as this reflects on Feaster, it must be said that this incompetence problem goes higher, and originates in Ken King's office. It is King that continues to hire GM's who don't know what they are doing. People may recall a previous Flames' GM messed up their salary cap so bad that they could only dress 16 players during the run-up to the playoffs. They subsequently sank in the standings, and lost in the first round.

What other desperate moves will Feaster make leading up to the deadline, in order to salvage the season? Are Calgary fans going to acknowledge how badly things have gone off the rails?

Sorry Flames fans, but under Feaster you have become the laughingstock of the league ...

... and I love it.

Last edited by Red Deer Rebel: 03-01-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old
03-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Frank the Tank
Passing the Torch

Appropriate?

Old
03-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Can't wipe the smile off my face over this O'Reilly offersheet boondoggle.

Flames fans need to ask themselves if they want a complete and total incompetent like Feaster to continue running their team. A quick review is in order:

1. They start the season with no competent backup goaltender, and have waived 3 goaltenders already this year due to their inability to play at an NHL level. They had absolutely no depth or quality prospects in their system - blame lies with Feaster. In a bizarre move, Feaster puts all of his backup goaltenders on waivers, so that the team is in a position where they would end up keeping and playing the one that didn't get claimed. Why would he let other teams make the decision as to who the Flames backup would be? Nutbar stuff.

2. The Flames start the season with 3 centers on their roster - Stajan, Backlund, and Jones. Earlier in the summer, Feaster lets Jokinen walk and offers Cervenka a contract, thinking he is a center. When Cervenka gets to camp, he reveals that he is in fact a winger and has had hardly played the center ice position. It is obvious that this is terrible pro scouting - another area of the organization Feaster is responsible for. The Flames obviously didn't do their due diligence. Did they even watch the player, or interview him before signing him to a contract? They decide to convert Cammalleri and/or Tanguay to center to fill the hole - both have performed poorly.

3. Now, Feaster screws up an offersheet in a manner that publicly humiliates the entire organization, and reaffirms that the clowns running this team are clueless about the CBA. As poorly as this reflects on Feaster, it must be said that this incompetence problem goes higher, and originates in Ken King's office. It is King that continues to hire GM's who don't know what they are doing. People may recall a previous Flames' GM messed up their salary cap so bad that they could only dress 16 players during the run-up to the playoffs. They subsequently sank in the standings, and lost in the first round.

What other desperate moves will Feaster make leading up to the deadline, in order to salvage the season? Are Calgary fans going to acknowledge how badly things have gone off the rails?

Sorry Flames fans, but under Feaster you have become the laughingstock of the league ...

... and I love it.
I love it but that sounds eerily familiar to another AB team.

Regardless I'm still going to throw stones from my glass house because of the **** that we've endured.

Love how bad management seems to be in AB hockey teams but at least some people are looking up to our team because of the talent.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Also to the people saying that Colorado's GM overlooked it you obviously overlooked the fact that he possibly did think about it but realized it would be a stupid idea for them to try and get lower than Calgary because Columbus would ahve likely claimed him anyhow.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

CP is in meltdown mode.
I can't wipe the smile off my face.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
Also to the people saying that Colorado's GM overlooked it you obviously overlooked the fact that he possibly did think about it but realized it would be a stupid idea for them to try and get lower than Calgary because Columbus would ahve likely claimed him anyhow.
Had Sherman done his due diligence he could have extorted Feaster for a much better return through a trade while maintaining the salary structure that ownership appears to covet.

If I owned the Flames or the Avs, Feaster and Sherman would both be out of a job this morning.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Pennertration

I wonder if the Avs already filed the appropriate paperwork to match the offersheet, ie, with this new development, could they actually back away and say "psyche", we're gonna let him go? Or quietly play things out and see where they are at the end of the 7 days before filing said paper work. Not sure of the details on stuff like this ... just call me Feaster!

Old
03-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
CP is in meltdown mode.
I can't wipe the smile off my face.
Hahaha. Great start to the weekend and month.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Had Sherman done his due diligence he could have extorted Feaster for a much better return through a trade while maintaining the salary structure that ownership appears to covet.

If I owned the Flames or the Avs, Feaster and Sherman would both be out of a job this morning.
So you would have fired Sherman for not extorting Feaster and getting any of the junk in Calgary? What would have been better in Calgary that ROR?

Old
03-01-2013, 01:48 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
How so? If you owned one of the teams, how do you fire the other
GM?

Old
03-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennertration View Post
I wonder if the Avs already filed the appropriate paperwork to match the offersheet, ie, with this new development, could they actually back away and say "psyche", we're gonna let him go? Or quietly play things out and see where they are at the end of the 7 days before filing said paper work. Not sure of the details on stuff like this ... just call me Feaster!
Verbal words are legally binding and it was pretty clear last night to the hockey world that they were matching so it would have been tough to back out of that one. I'm sure it could still be done but it would have been tough.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Eytinge

Man I wish the Avs at least waited one more damn day. Would have been hilarious to see the fallout.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:52 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
So you would have fired Sherman for not extorting Feaster and getting any of the junk in Calgary? What would have been better in Calgary that ROR?
No, for not knowing about the waivers thing and having it widely known that an offer sheet wasn't a route teams could go.

Would have strengthened his trade and/or contract negotiations.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
No, for not knowing about the waivers thing and having it widely known that an offer sheet wasn't a route teams could go.

Would have strengthened his trade and/or contract negotiations.
Why an offer sheet would always have been a possibility for the 30th place team.

But yeah for contract negotiations it likely would have helped good point. O'Reilly wouldn't have gotten that kind of money at all.

Closed Thread