HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League: 2013 season Pt2 - Realignment a go

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 10:41 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

vCash: 50
The Flames must have the softest schedule of any team in the West. It seems like everytime they play a team it's either their backup or on the second half of back to backs.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
The Flames are going to make the playoffs. With all of the loser points and parity around the West (unless you're the Oilers lol) they'll be right there in the mix.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:42 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The Flames are going to make the playoffs. With all of the loser points and parity around the West (unless you're the Oilers lol) they'll be right there in the mix.
Actually, all the loser points are precisely why they won't make the playoffs.

They only sit two points out but the reality is it's really more like 4 or 6 with all the teams they have to leapfrog.

And they have the Ducks, and Kingsx2 as their next three games.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Actually, all the loser points are precisely why they won't make the playoffs.
You're kidding me right? Think back to the start they had. If they stay on this trajectory they'll make the playoffs.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:45 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
You're kidding me right? Think back to the start they had. If they stay on this trajectory they'll make the playoffs.
The poor start they had? The 1-3-1 January?

Old
03-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
The poor start they had? The 1-3-1 January?
Now you're cherry picking. You know how badly they started. The Oilers had what? A 7, 8 point lead on them at one point? They lost Kiprusoff for a long, long time and they still crawled up the standings.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:51 PM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Now you're cherry picking. You know how badly they started. The Oilers had what? A 7, 8 point lead on them at one point? They lost Kiprusoff for a long, long time and they still crawled up the standings.
Yeah, how does that put them in the playoffs? It'll probably put them in front of the Oilers given the way they're playing but can you really see them finishing in front of:

Chicago
Anaheim
Vancouver
Detroit
St. Louis
Los Angeles

And a mixture of Nashville, Phoenix, Dallas, and Minnesota?

Like I said earlier, their next three games are against the Ducks and Kings. And we know how those teams are rolling.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:55 PM
Matador

The Flames would be 3-4 points higher in the standings if they got average goaltending. Kipper played like crap early in the season. The backups weren't much better.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Yeah, how does that put them in the playoffs? It'll probably put them in front of the Oilers given the way they're playing but can you really see them finishing in front of:

Chicago
Anaheim
Vancouver
Detroit
St. Louis
Los Angeles

And a mixture of Nashville, Phoenix, Dallas, and Minnesota?

Like I said earlier, their next three games are against the Ducks and Kings. And we know how those teams are rolling.
Wow, look at all of those good teams. I guess that we're never making the playoffs even if we turn a corner amirite?

Anyway, the Flames are just as good as any team in the West outside of the Hawks, Ducks, Kings and (maybe) the Canucks and Wings. They'll be right in the mix. for 6, 7 and 8. I'm not completely sold on the Blues as an elite team despite their season last year but they'll be in the mix for 6, 7 and 8 as well.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:02 AM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Wow, look at all of those good teams. I guess that we're never making the playoffs even if we turn a corner amirite?

Anyway, the Flames are just as good as any team in the West outside of the Hawks, Ducks, Kings and (maybe) the Canucks and Wings. They'll be right in the mix. for 6, 7 and 8.
I'd put most of them above Calgary that's for sure. I'm not really sure where you're seeing this amazing team that finished 9th last year and has even less depth down the middle than we do?

They also have 2 less wins than the majority of teams ahead of them except Nashville (who have more loser points).

In fact the only team I've seen the Flames dominate all year besides us is Dallas.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
I'd put most of them above Calgary that's for sure. I'm not really sure where you're seeing this amazing team that finished 9th last year and has even less depth down the middle than we do?

They also have 2 less wins than the majority of teams ahead of them except Nashville (who have more loser points).

In fact the only team I've seen the Flames dominate all year besides us is Dallas.
I'm putting them in the mix this year because I see A LOT of mediocre teams in the West and the Flames are right there with them. We like to mock Calgary for their yearly 9th place runs but in a lot of instances they're right there... within 2 or 3 points. I think that they missed the playoffs by 1 point one year. Why is it so inconceivable to think that they'll get lucky and make it during one of these seasons? Oh right, because they're a mess and need to embark on a "burn it down" re-build like us. We're sure setting a standard up here by showing them that it works.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:13 AM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
I'm putting them in the mix this year because I see A LOT of mediocre teams in the West and the Flames are right there with them. We like to mock Calgary for their yearly 9th place runs but in a lot of instances they're right there... within 2 or 3 points. I think that they missed the playoffs by 1 point one year. Why is it so inconceivable to think that they'll get lucky and make it during one of these seasons? Oh right, because they're a mess and need to embark on a "burn it down" re-build like us. We're sure setting a standard up here by showing them that it works.
Actually they missed the playoffs by 5 points last year. They weren't that close.

I agree with the whole "bunch of mediocre" teams thought but the Flames still have to play a lot of the upper echelon teams. Do you feasibly see them knocking off the Kings or Ducks in their respective barns given how hot they've been? And let's not forget they have to go to Chicago sooner or later.

I get that we've been bad for a long time, and maybe we shouldn't mock them... But Iginla's a UFA this year. What if they finish 9th again and don't trade or re-sign him?

Feaster should be out of a job if that happens.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:22 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Honestly if we were competing for a playoff spot I'd be a little ticked off. But if that inequality helps lead to a better first-round pick this year, no big deal.

The new arena won't be doing the CFR and Brier? Seems like Katz would be pushing hard for the revenue. I'll admit I wasn't paying attention to negotiations.

In other news the Avs lead the Hawks 2-1 after 2 periods. Varlamov is hot. Tonight might be the night.
I don't think it will do the CFR, but it probably fights for the Brier.

Being in the West you really get the short end of the stick. I think it was Vancouver or San Jose a few years back that flew the most miles of any team, they complained and it was changed. Not sure if this resulted in longer road trips or what.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Gord
Tesla

Chicago is amazing. Think of the fun the Chicago fans are having the past two months.
I'm jealous. lol

Old
03-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Frank the Tank
Golden Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Chicago is amazing. Think of the fun the Chicago fans are having the past two months.
I'm jealous. lol
It is annoying. Hawks fans are having fun, but the bandwagon is beyond 2010 levels at this point, IMO. Coworkers who barely followed hockey outside of the 2010 Cup run wear their newly purchased Hawks gear and strike up conversations with me about hockey now. One guy called them the best hockey team ever, and he is so uneducated about the sport that it was not worth the history lesson to correct him. It has been a long two months being an Oilers' fan living in this city.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:13 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
It is annoying. Hawks fans are having fun, but the bandwagon is beyond 2010 levels at this point, IMO. Coworkers who barely followed hockey outside of the 2010 Cup run wear their newly purchased Hawks gear and strike up conversations with me about hockey now. One guy called them the best hockey team ever, and he is so uneducated about the sport that it was not worth the history lesson to correct him. It has been a long two months being an Oilers' fan living in this city.
This is what happened when we went to the cup final. People that watched 2-3 games a year started buying jerseys, going out to celebrate, having parties.

It reminded me of the wives who don't watch a lick of CFL football, but love to through Grey Cup parties.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:23 AM
CantHaveTkachev
No More Next Year

vCash: 143
Quote:
you didn't live here in 2006 did you

Old
03-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Frank the Tank
Golden Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
This is what happened when we went to the cup final. People that watched 2-3 games a year started buying jerseys, going out to celebrate, having parties.

It reminded me of the wives who don't watch a lick of CFL football, but love to through Grey Cup parties.
There is one difference, however, the average Edmontonian is aware of the basics of the game. Growing up in rural Alberta I knew numerous individuals who weren't hard core fans of hockey, but they understood the sport. Here the bandwagon is filling up with these guys again:

Old
03-07-2013, 11:44 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
There is one difference, however, the average Edmontonian is aware of the basics of the game. Growing up in rural Alberta I knew numerous individuals who weren't hard core fans of hockey, but they understood the sport. Here the bandwagon is filling up with these guys again:

Yes, but this city is also full of immigrants who showed their support.

When something is great people flock to it.

I look at curling people were so excited going into the Brier, but since Martin took himself out of competition after 2 games not many really care other than the diehards.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:02 PM
trent_vinyl

vCash: 250
Quote:
The Flames must have the softest schedule of any team in the West. It seems like everytime they play a team it's either their backup or on the second half of back to backs.
I agree. it does seem like they always get the 2nd game of back to backs

Old
03-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent_vinyl View Post
I agree. it does seem like they always get the 2nd game of back to backs
I love how it seems that there's always complaining about that here every season. Until the Oilers can start beating teams when they play them on back-to-back nights I wouldn't really worry about it.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:39 PM
joestevens29

Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec
Oilers now in a Division with VAN, CAL, ANA, SJS, LAK PHO. Hey boss, wouldn't mind getting back on the ol' beat...

Old
03-07-2013, 05:06 PM
McOilbleeder
We are all Kloppites

That's slightly worrying considering who joined vs. who left.

03-07-2013, 06:42 PM
North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
That's slightly worrying considering who joined vs. who left.
Maybe management will finally be forced to add personnel that actually can compete with those teams.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Columbus beats Vancouver in OT.

#HereComes30thPlace

FYI, that was a riff on the pathetic #HereComeTheOilers crap.

Closed Thread