HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Blackburn and Montoya Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2005, 10:07 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Official Blackburn and Montoya Thread (M.U. PLAYOFFS)

Idea by AG9NK35DT8. Hopefully one of the mods will sticky this.

Blackburn bounced back from his 7 goals on 24 shots the next night by saving 29 of 32 in the 4-2 loss (one EN goal). Good to see his confidence was still up there.

-----

Montoya won 2 back to back games:

2/18 - 2 Goals Against on 19 shots
2/19 - 3 Goals Against on 14 shots
both vs. Notre Dame

So not great games by Montoya as he continues his struggle this season. Playoffs are comming up so lets hope his game goes up a few notches.

Last edited by FLYLine24: 03-17-2005 at 10:44 PM.
Old
02-21-2005, 07:39 AM
Levitate

i'm finding it hard to get down on montoya a lot based on his save %, because the games i watch i see his team basically play defense by offense for most of the game so that the shots are low and then make some terrible turnovers and plays that leave montoya hung out to dry.

but he very often comes up with big saves when his team needs them...

Old
02-21-2005, 08:48 AM
rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
i'm finding it hard to get down on montoya a lot based on his save %, because the games i watch i see his team basically play defense by offense for most of the game so that the shots are low and then make some terrible turnovers and plays that leave montoya hung out to dry.

but he very often comes up with big saves when his team needs them...
As long as he makes the saves he needs to make, in order for his team to win, I have confidence in Montoya.

Old
02-21-2005, 11:19 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I think we might really have the next Mike Richter on our hands with Montoya: a goalie who plays well, but doesn't have great stats. When it comes to the all-important save or the all-important game, he suddenly stands on his head.

Old
02-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Melrose_Jr.

You committed to updating this FL4L? Maybe with a little help from AD9NK35DT8 and others?

Old
02-21-2005, 01:09 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
You committed to updating this FL4L? Maybe with a little help from AD9NK35DT8 and others?
Sure, I wont be able to give eye-witness reports like the other official threads since I cant see the games but ill post the news and results after Blackburns and Montoyas games.

Old
02-21-2005, 07:55 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Idea by AG9NK35DT8. Hopefully one of the mods will sticky this.

Old
02-21-2005, 08:03 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Lunqvist=Future NHL'er ( hopefully )
Montoya=overrated ( Jeff Hacket upside , IMO )
Blackburn= ? ( Unless he gets his glove back on and the arm heals forget about him )

Maybe in the next draft NYR needs to make some moves to acquire another 1st round draft to acquire a Goaltender. In all honesty im not looking foward to see'ing NYR draft another goalie with the only 1st rounder. Unless a goalie can be had in the later rounds 2nd or 3rd with a solid upside then they dont need ot acquire a first.

Also 2 goalies I always liked were Brian Boucher and Brent Johnson, always liked Johnson . Too bad NYR never makes moves for young solid goalies like that. Would have liked to see B.Johnson on NYR even Boucher, and since PHX has both im sure on could be acquired some how or another. Buy out Dunham and lets Weekes go free after this year and get one of Brent Johnson or Brian Boucher in net with Labarbs as backup while Montoya/Holt/Lundqvusit get going in Hrtfd. But thats just my opinoon.

Old
02-21-2005, 08:04 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
I could try my best when im on to keep an update and get as much info as I can.

Old
02-22-2005, 08:03 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Also 2 goalies I always liked were Brian Boucher and Brent Johnson, always liked Johnson . Too bad NYR never makes moves for young solid goalies like that. Would have liked to see B.Johnson on NYR even Boucher, and since PHX has both im sure on could be acquired some how or another. Buy out Dunham and lets Weekes go free after this year and get one of Brent Johnson or Brian Boucher in net with Labarbs as backup while Montoya/Holt/Lundqvusit get going in Hrtfd. But thats just my opinoon.
ok i just lost all respect for your ability to judge goalie talent

Old
02-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG9NK35DT8
Lunqvist=Future NHL'er ( hopefully )
Montoya=overrated ( Jeff Hacket upside , IMO )
Blackburn= ? ( Unless he gets his glove back on and the arm heals forget about him )

Maybe in the next draft NYR needs to make some moves to acquire another 1st round draft to acquire a Goaltender. In all honesty im not looking foward to see'ing NYR draft another goalie with the only 1st rounder. Unless a goalie can be had in the later rounds 2nd or 3rd with a solid upside then they dont need ot acquire a first.

The Rangers also have Holt in the system, so i dont even see a need to even use a 2nd or 3rd on a goalie at this point. If you can pick up a diamond in the rough in the 6th or something, then fine, but as of right now, we have nothing to worry about in nets for the future.

Old
02-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Fletch

Buyout Dunham?

let Weekes walk? Since the season's effectively ended, so are their contracts. The Rangers' goaltending situation looks like Labarbera ahead of Blackburn, as I believe both will have to be protected in the next waiver draft and both would have to clear waivers to play in Hartford. Yup, as of now, this team is going into the alleged 2005-2006 season without a goalie, I believe. Of course, other contracts may be up too, which could present an opportunity for the Rangers.

As for Boucher and Johnson...I don't see Johnson as being any more than a backup. Boucher, I believe, is an average goalie. I wouldn't really trade for him at this point. I'd rather see who's available as a UFA, one who can bridge the gap to Lundqvist or Montoya.

Old
02-22-2005, 05:52 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
let Weekes walk? Since the season's effectively ended, so are their contracts. The Rangers' goaltending situation looks like Labarbera ahead of Blackburn, as I believe both will have to be protected in the next waiver draft and both would have to clear waivers to play in Hartford. Yup, as of now, this team is going into the alleged 2005-2006 season without a goalie, I believe. Of course, other contracts may be up too, which could present an opportunity for the Rangers.

As for Boucher and Johnson...I don't see Johnson as being any more than a backup. Boucher, I believe, is an average goalie. I wouldn't really trade for him at this point. I'd rather see who's available as a UFA, one who can bridge the gap to Lundqvist or Montoya.
from what I have heard the contracts are not up, if there is no season then the contracts remain as is. So who ever is on the roster this year with only this year left in there contract will still be a NYR if there is no season but if there is anybit of the seqason they will be gone. Thats what i was told but they could be wrong.

Old
02-22-2005, 06:04 PM
Fletch

First I've heard of that...

The contract probably has an expiration date (as opposed to a requirement for games played, seasons, etc.), and a player doesn't have to play one game for it to expire (of course he won't get paid either, which is currently the case). I don't think there's a clause in there that states if they don't play than there's a standstill period. I'm guessing the contracts are one year passed. The market will be flooded with UFAs.

Old
02-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Bacchus

Dunham > Johnson

Old
02-22-2005, 07:00 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
The contract probably has an expiration date (as opposed to a requirement for games played, seasons, etc.), and a player doesn't have to play one game for it to expire (of course he won't get paid either, which is currently the case). I don't think there's a clause in there that states if they don't play than there's a standstill period. I'm guessing the contracts are one year passed. The market will be flooded with UFAs.
Thats understandable but what dont make sense to me is the point that there contracts would expire. When these guys make deals it is usually for so many years, now with a stoppage, why should that affect there contracts . In every aspect these players are at no fault for a season being locked out.I would also assume besides some contracts that players have to perform or produce certain points or games playerd to have there contracts complete, i dont tthink this is the case with many player most likely 80 % of them. Now to me they signed a contract for lets say 3 years now the contract is for 3 NHL seasons, and with there being no season how can there contract expire. I very highly doubt the contract says that it will expire if a lock out or any other means that the NHL is stopped. So now should it be fair to the players to lose one year pay when it is not there fault or should they be paid somehow or another then there gone at the end of the supposably hockey season end. I mean these guys are getting paid to play as many seasons as they sign, so I would assume no season means no affect which is why I assume what i heard could very so be true, but like i said its just word of mouth and very much could be false as true. the only way we would know is staright from the source , I guess.

Old
02-23-2005, 01:09 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Blackburn has another big game. Kings win 5-2 and Blackburn turned aside 36 of 38 shots

Here a short video of a previous game...Blackburn makes a save at point blank midway through.

Old
02-23-2005, 05:06 AM
Fletch

Agn..

you make valid points. I've never seen an NHL contract, so I don't no what clauses there are in them. Often contracts or for a period and often ahve option extension clauses in them. I haven't seen one that automatically renews upon certain events, like a work stoppage. I can't really answer the question with 100% certainty, but I believe this to be the case.

Old
02-23-2005, 07:27 AM
Levitate

i've heard JD say it several times, and it's been kicked around by more than one NHL personality

but i don't know if it's been officially cleared up...seems kinda weird that the owners could lock out a season and get off the hook for that seasons pay as well

Old
02-23-2005, 10:03 AM
JCProdigy

I've heard several hockey analysts (through league sources) say that the contracts do indeed expire. My understanding is that the contracts are formatted for a beginning and ending date rather then a number of "seasons" played. So for example, Dunham's and Weeke's contracts are through May 30th, 2005 and would expire the following day.

Of course this has never been a problem since there has always been a season played but I'm guessing there is a chance that those contracts could be honored for next year if the NHLPA finds a loop-hole or the owners make that concession as a part of the "on-going labor negotiations"

Old
02-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Levitate

Quote:
My understanding is that the contracts are formatted for a beginning and ending date rather then a number of "seasons" played. So for example, Dunham's and Weeke's contracts are through May 30th, 2005 and would expire the following day.
what i dont' get though is if this is all true, then what about the yashin case? how come he was held to his contract but the owners aren't going to be held to their in a situation like this? it's pretty similar if you think about it...the owners initiated the lockout, they're keeping people from playing, and then want that year to count towards contracts. like yashin who initiated his holdout and kept himself from playing, and then expected that year to count towards his contract

Old
02-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Fletch

He didn't show up for work...

and thus breached his contract and wasn't owed anything.

Interesting concept, though. But these guys are paid for services. Services weren't rendered, and thus aren't paid. Players can strike, and they don't get paid. Owners can lock you out, thus you cannot perform your duties, and you won't get paid. Unless there's a lockout cause, or a clause for going out of business, you won't get paid.

Old
02-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
what i dont' get though is if this is all true, then what about the yashin case? how come he was held to his contract but the owners aren't going to be held to their in a situation like this? it's pretty similar if you think about it...the owners initiated the lockout, they're keeping people from playing, and then want that year to count towards contracts. like yashin who initiated his holdout and kept himself from playing, and then expected that year to count towards his contract
In Yashin's case, the arbitrator had no real basis to make his ruling. He had to make quite a stretch and the only reason that it wasn't a very controversial decision was because everyone was against Yashin by that point.

The Rodent wrote a rant about it a while ago.
http://hockeyrodent.com/R1159.HTM

Old
02-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
Blackburn has another big game. Kings win 5-2 and Blackburn turned aside 36 of 38 shots

Here a short video of a previous game...Blackburn makes a save at point blank midway through.
nice find with the video there FLY.

Old
02-24-2005, 11:48 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Kings and Blackburn lost 4-1 yesterday night. Blackburn turned aside 28 of 32 shots.

BTW I found out that the game that Dan gave up 7 goals (in the 12-3 loss) they only had 2 of there regular dmen. Majority of the D was suspended from the previous game when they cleared the bench durning a fight. Dale also got suspended 16 Games last wednesday for gettting into 3 major incidents since joining the Salmon Kings Dec. 5.

Closed Thread