HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ray Shero at Min vs. Col

Old
02-15-2013, 02:41 AM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
At this point, it's Niskanen for Seto +, whether that's a 3rd pick or whatever, Niskanen's value is way higher than Setoguchi's.

One has been a top 4 defenseman since last season, the other is trending the other way.
Don't think so.. Seto has been awesome lately btw.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:45 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoivu9 View Post
He's had a magical 3 games, good for him. Niskanen has been rock solid for over a season now.

Top 4 defensemen are hard to come by. Niskanen would likely be a top 3 guy on the Wild and help with the transition game and bring some offense to the back end for the Wild.

Today, Setoguchi had 0pts and was a -2.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:48 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
I don't see Ray moving Niskanen, he's insurance if Letang is hurt and if Niskanen and Letang are hurt, the team plays like crap like we've all seen.

I see Shero maybe looking for a new home for Kennedy. If Setoguchi is on the market and he's been playing on the 3rd line, Kennedy would fit that line better than Seto would. I'd do Kennedy + 3rd for Setoguchi.

If not, I'd rather take our chances with Beau now that he's been called up.
To me, Setoguchi is top 6 or bust.. You want Sutter's line to be able to play a shut down role, especially come playoffs. Setoguchi is one of the last guys you want on that line..

I agree about Bennett though, I'd like to see what he can do before they make a move for someone. Maybe he'll be one of the few whose game is better suited for the NHL then the A. His numbers aren't great there, but decent. I'm excited to see!

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 02:56 AM
mkoivu9*

Quote:
He's had a magical 3 games, good for him. Niskanen has been rock solid for over a season now.

Top 4 defensemen are hard to come by. Niskanen would likely be a top 3 guy on the Wild and help with the transition game and bring some offense to the back end for the Wild.

Today, Setoguchi had 0pts and was a -2.
Seto's younger and has the better track record. Bouchard could be an option for Pitts too.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:14 AM
Jules Winnfield

Bylsma has probably been pleading to Shero to get him Clutterbuck.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:20 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Seto's younger and has the better track record. Bouchard could be an option for Pitts too.
Born: January 1, 1987 (age 26)
Born: December 6, 1986 (age 26)

good heavens! what an astounding age-gap!

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:39 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Age is the response you come at me with, do you do any research before you post? They're barely 1yr apart. Niskanen started off strong with his career, then floundered, then regained his form and suddenly became a better defensive defenseman while still showing his offensive flare to the game. What's the better track record? That Setoguchi could play well with Thornton until he couldn't anymore?

Setoguchi remains a 1 dimensional player. He won't log 20 mins if he's not scoring, Niskanen will and he'll be a damn solid defenseman doing it.

Bouchard wouldn't be a good option for the Penguins, he's injury prone, small, not physical and Bylsma would definitely not ok that type of addition to the team if Shero ever asked him how he thought he'd fit into his system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
To me, Setoguchi is top 6 or bust.. You want Sutter's line to be able to play a shut down role, especially come playoffs. Setoguchi is one of the last guys you want on that line..

I agree about Bennett though, I'd like to see what he can do before they make a move for someone. Maybe he'll be one of the few whose game is better suited for the NHL then the A. His numbers aren't great there, but decent. I'm excited to see!
If Shero were to go and get Setoguchi, I would guess the line-up would then be like this...

Kunitz, Crosby, Setoguchi
Bennett, Malkin, Neal
Cooke, Sutter, Dupuis
Glass, Vitale, Adams

Dupuis is the more natural fit on that 3rd line, Setoguchi wouldn't be. With that said, discussing trade ideas with Wild fans seems to be as fun as the Hemsky/Staal discussions.

Let's just sit back and see what happens.

Maybe Shero was just stopping by to say hi to Fletcher and Yeo, his former employees.

Old
02-15-2013, 03:51 AM
Honour Over Glory

It just cracks me up that someone drops that age thing when we're discussing 2 players that were drafted in the same year. Oh right, he probably didn't know about that either. In any case, Niskanen has more value than Setoguchi. If someone were to make that value thread about Niskanen, it'd prove as much, that is if anyone has the guts to admit it. Seems as though the Penguin haters are out in full force since that Sens game.

If Shero was serious about getting Setoguchi, I'd do something like...

To Minnesota: Kennedy, Jeffrey, 4th in 2013.

To Pittsburgh: Setoguchi

Jeffrey would allow them to keep Coyle in the AHL where he should be, developing and adds a guy that needs a change of scenery, has skill to his game and can play W/C. As for PM Bouchard, the Wild are either stuck with him until he's a UFA and he's finally done with the team, or they dump him at the deadline for a late pick and say goodbye earlier.

Pens will have zero interest in him, as it should be.

Old
02-15-2013, 05:44 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Seto seems like the obvious guy Shero would be looking at since Russo claims he's available and the Pens need a top 6 winger. Seto's value is very tough to judge though. He could bring any number of things in return and it wouldn't surprise me.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:40 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Well, because of this two-game awesomeness, maybe you should keep him. Would rather have PMB if I had to choose. He wouldn't cost much and if he doesn't do the job, he is gone at the end of the season - sort of like Ponikarovsky was.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:43 AM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Would the Pens be interested in Seto+Clutterbuck+Lucia for Orpik+Kennedy?

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Zucker-Granlund-Bouchard
Cullen-Brodziak-Kennedy
Rupp-Konopka-Mitchell
Suter-Brodin
Orpik-Spurgeon
Stoner/Scandella-Gilbert

Looks good. Hopefully GMCF calls up Zucker if this trade happens.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:07 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Zucker-Granlund-Bouchard
Cullen-Brodziak-Kennedy
Rupp-Konopka-Mitchell
Suter-Brodin
Orpik-Spurgeon
Stoner/Scandella-Gilbert

Orpik plays too big of a role to be expendable.

Kennedy can certainly be had, possibly Niskanen and certain good D prospects like Maata, Harrington and Dumoulin. I doubt they'd trade Morrow, Despres or Pouliot unless the return is unbelievable.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:41 AM
mwalluk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
A cap team like Pittsburgh can't afford 4 million for a 35-45 point player.
Are you aware that the Pens have 13 MILLION IN CAP SPACE this season?!?!?!?!?!

mwalluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:51 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
No team is going to want Jones' contract the way he is currently playing. At this point in time he is unmovable.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:55 AM
roon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Zucker-Granlund-Bouchard
Cullen-Brodziak-Kennedy
Rupp-Konopka-Mitchell
Suter-Brodin
Orpik-Spurgeon
Stoner/Scandella-Gilbert

Where is our ****ing All-star in that lineup?

roon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:03 AM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalluk View Post
Cap drops next year, Letang needs a raise.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:04 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Seto seems like the obvious guy Shero would be looking at since Russo claims he's available and the Pens need a top 6 winger. Seto's value is very tough to judge though. He could bring any number of things in return and it wouldn't surprise me.
IMO, if Shero is looking at a Wild player right now, Seto is third on his list.

Clutterbuck would be the top IMO.
PMB would be second
Seto would be third.

You can get PMB on the cheap. While he has had issues with concussions and is small, he has some skill. If he doesn't work out, you don't resign him.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:07 AM
mwalluk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Cap drops next year, Letang needs a raise.
I'm tired of hearing Pens have NO CAP SPACE. They have 13 million in cap space for this season. Yes, the cap will go down next season. However, MALKIN and LETANG are SIGNED through next season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if Shero signs them to an extension this summer, their new deals will not kick in until after next season.

Last edited by mwalluk: 02-15-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old
02-15-2013, 08:12 AM
mwalluk

Moreover, there will be some roster turnover next season.

Tyler Kennedy, Matt Cooke, Craig Adams, Matt Niskanen, all very well may be gone next season.

Last edited by mwalluk: 02-15-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old
02-15-2013, 08:23 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
I'm tired of hearing Pens have NO CAP SPACE. They have 13 million in cap space for this season. Yes, the cap will go down next season. However, MALKIN and LETANG are SIGNED through next season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if Shero signs them to an extension this summer, their new deals will not kick in until after next season.

Just because you have 13 million in cap space, it doesn't mean you have to use it all, especially on questionable talent.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:30 AM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
You're tired of hearing the truth? Pens can take on a ton of money THIS YEAR. They are OK NEXT year. But the Cap drops 6 million next year and then stays flat the following year. If they can get through those two years, they are OK, but they are going to have to be careful over the next 2 seasons.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:31 AM
Fire Shero*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
Just because you have 13 million in cap space, it doesn't mean you have to use it all, especially on questionable talent.
You should probably use some of it considering Zach Boychuk and Matt Cooke play with Geno and Neal.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:35 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
You should probably use some of it considering Zach Boychuk and Matt Cooke play with Geno and Neal.
It's looking for options without giving up anything. There needs to be a move made without question. That said, its buying time to figure out who is a fit. It's not like Pittsburgh has to make a move now. It's making a move that benefits the team - short term and long term without giving up alot.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:50 AM
Nietzsche Zone Play

Has anyone mentioned the fact that Minnesota is on the way to Winnipeg, where the Pens play tonight?

Some groundwork might be talked about for a deadline deal, but I'm guessing Shero being there had more to do with the schedule allowing him to take in a game and grab dinner with his former staff.

Nietzsche Zone Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 09:09 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
It's actually under 10 according to cap geek, you've missed the point though. After next season almost the entire team needs new contracts with the exception of Crosby, Neal, Martin and Fleury..

Let's ignore the fact that he's garbage, he's signed past next season which will be a problem considering he isn't a core piece and isn't worth 4 million dollars.

If the Avs wanna trade that bad contract, expect a bad contract in return. Nobody in their right mind is giving you much of anything valuable, and that includes first round picks and top 4 shutdown d men. Sorry boss.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote