HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Brad Richards

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2013, 03:37 AM
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
I havent seen him play one second this season, but I did last year, and he was trash for almost half the season.

He went something like 23 games without an assist -- the worst of his career.

While I'm not denying how bad you guys say he's playing, I would temper the buy-out stuff until after the season.

Most of Richards' big games last season were in the 2nd half.
I agree that the buyout talk is premature, and I too think he's going to get better. He was clutch the 2nd half last year. Still he's playing a lot worse than he did last year, and even if he turns it around, are we fine with our #1, 6,66 mill center floating for half a season?

I'm not, even if a bad first half will be forgotten if he steps up in the playoffs.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:48 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGoalieSystem View Post
I agree that the buyout talk is premature, and I too think he's going to get better. He was clutch the 2nd half last year. Still he's playing a lot worse than he did last year, and even if he turns it around, are we fine with our #1, 6,66 mill center floating for half a season?

I'm not, even if a bad first half will be forgotten if he steps up in the playoffs.

Richards had 22 points in March and was our leading scorer in the playoffs.

I'll take it.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:59 AM
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Richards had 22 points in March and was our leading scorer in the playoffs.

I'll take it.
Sure.

However if the takes as many games to get going this year (I'd say he started looking a lot better by february, would you agree?), that's all of regular season.

We can't afford our #1 center doing essentialy nothing but turning over the puck all year.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:59 AM
Barnaby

Right now he has 11 points in 15 games... if he goes on a bit of a run then he can be over a point per game playing on essentially the 2nd line...

He has played like crap and I'm starting to think that he's a legit buy out candidate in the summer of 2014, but lets not start acting like the guy is done. He isn't.

Old
02-20-2013, 05:20 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
Right now he has 11 points in 15 games... if he goes on a bit of a run then he can be over a point per game playing on essentially the 2nd line...

He has played like crap and I'm starting to think that he's a legit buy out candidate in the summer of 2014, but lets not start acting like the guy is done. He isn't.
Agreed , he has a few big games and he's a pt a game so we should chill. Not gonna hurt to have that buyout In the back pocket after next yr though

Old
02-20-2013, 05:58 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

It's not like the rest of the team is playing well... I agree with Torts about last night for sure.

They're still playing like they're owed something from all the hard work last season... Like the playoffs are a foregone conclusion and that "we'll just turn it on in the post season".

It's crap. I've been patient and defended them saying they needed time... Now it's injuries and lack of effort. But Richards, as mediocre as he's been, has put up points and isn't the only one who looks annoyingly bad.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:34 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
It's not like the rest of the team is playing well... I agree with Torts about last night for sure.

They're still playing like they're owed something from all the hard work last season... Like the playoffs are a foregone conclusion and that "we'll just turn it on in the post season".

It's crap. I've been patient and defended them saying they needed time... Now it's injuries and lack of effort. But Richards, as mediocre as he's been, has put up points and isn't the only one who looks annoyingly bad.
The Rangers are what, 6-3-1 in their last 10? I would say the team is winning despite him. Stepan. Hagelin. Nash.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Crease

His performance last night was disconcerting. He's absolutely a candidate for our second amnesty buyout. Deadline to execute the buyout would be the summer before 14/15.

That said, he's going to be a big part of this season's success/failure. I think the mindless cycling and dump/chase hockey is starting to get to these guys.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
His performance last night was disconcerting. He's absolutely a candidate for our second amnesty buyout. Deadline to execute the buyout would be the summer before 14/15.

That said, he's going to be a big part of this season's success/failure. I think the mindless cycling and dump/chase hockey is starting to get to these guys.
I agree, but any potential buyout is not about his performance last night....the same way if Richards plays a good game tomorrow night, that doesn't mean people eat crow and there is no way we buy him out in the summer of 2013 or 2014.

This is about whether we want to keep his cap hit on the books for another seven years after this season, and this may be our only chance for an amnesty buyout.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:38 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:

I think most people that have played hockey and/or enjoy watching a game with a reasonable skillset have been thinking along these lines:

"I really cannot stand the way this team is playing, it is boring to watch, it is counteroffensive, it is Neanderthalesque and mindnumbing to be honest." But due to the success on the scoreboard (at least last year) and the blind love for The Rangers franchise however they play as along as long as they win games,

People have been accepting the system and the "style it employs" as long as it gives reasonable results. It just works that way.

But this non-coaching, "who needs a power play?", dump and chase (at every given opportunity), constant grinding along the boardplay, 6 goaltender defensive system (all vehemently directed from the coach as being "play with Jam a la Torts style") will wear pretty thin on most people very fast if there are no results to match the sacrifice one has to make to watch this ghastly style of destructive hockey the Rangers are now playing.

I think tha therefore, along with the arrogance, attitude and the antics, the fall and demise of John Tortorella will go extremely fast once things go into that direction. People put up with anything as long as they win games. The educated mind will however not stand for such dismal results and hockey on a team this full of both acquired & homegrown hockey talent for very long.

Angry Villagers = Danger Danger
Torts Apologists need not answer...

Old
02-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Repeat of last years bad first half and great second half or not, we can't justify paying a guy this much money to play half a season. He needs to find some consistency or he's going to get axed.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:10 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Repeat of last years bad first half and great second half or not, we can't justify paying a guy this much money to play half a season. He needs to find some consistency or he's going to get axed.
Absolutely. The new CBA afforded us the ability for a compliance buyout ,and given the crippling nature of his contract, I'd say he's a perfect candidate, (should he not totally pull a 180).

Old
02-20-2013, 10:12 AM
BroadwayHustle

Quote:

I completely agree, Richards seems to go into the zone looking to dump it into a corner and cycle instead of looking for the open pass. He just kind of glides into the offensive zone without trying to make something happen. I don't post much but last night I was infuriated watching Richards make bad play after bad play.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Agreed. Not one person here can tell me that they actually watch the games and think he isn't playing terrible hockey right now. He isn't even playing like someone who can lead this team to the water fountain let alone the Stanley Cup.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Dorado*

I don't care how many secondary assists or points he has , he is far from a difference maker at all . He is a good 3c but far from a hard to play against 1C . His power play antics are brutal. One of the things that gets over looked is on the Stars and Bolts he had great PP players with him it was t all brad . He gets too much credit . Look at the Caps PP one of reasons it's so lethal is Ribeiro . IMO and what I've read he made Stars Power play go as much as Wade Richards .
NYR stuck with him and all those with ride colored homer goggles need to clear the lenses and see how bad he is .

Old
02-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
I don't care how many secondary assists or points he has , he is far from a difference maker at all . He is a good 3c but far from a hard to play against 1C . His power play antics are brutal. One of the things that gets over looked is on the Stars and Bolts he had great PP players with him it was t all brad . He gets too much credit . Look at the Caps PP one of reasons it's so lethal is Ribeiro . IMO and what I've read he made Stars Power play go as much as Wade Richards .
NYR stuck with him and all those with ride colored homer goggles need to clear the lenses and see how bad he is .
He's better than a "good 3c". I'll agree he's not an elite 1C anymore though.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:31 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

He needs his A stripped immediately.

Nash should get it. Nash should probably be Captain, also, considering how poorly Callahan has played.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:36 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post

48 games + the playoffs. Plenty of time for Brad Richards to ppg his way deep into the playoffs... again

Old
02-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
He needs his A stripped immediately.

Nash should get it. Nash should probably be Captain, also, considering how poorly Callahan has played.
Is this for serious?

Old
02-20-2013, 11:39 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Is this for serious?
The part about Richards being stripped of his A is 100% serious. He's a joke out there.

Obviously this will never happen, but right now Richards doesn't deserve to be wearing a letter over guys like Nash, Girardi, McDonagh.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:40 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Poor Richard says "There are no gains without pains."

15 games into a locked out season and we want to strip the "A", Buy Him Out!

I'm more concerned about Gaborick to be honest.

If I was Torts I would fine the team a GRUELLING workout after any game Gaborik fails to take 5 sog. He shoots , he scores. He no shoot, he no score.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:43 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
The part about Richards being stripped of his A is 100% serious. He's a joke out there.
Helped lead the team to the Conference Finals last season, easily the most successful season in 15 years, and because he's playing poorly for one month, he should be "stripped of his A."

Got it.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:43 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Chariot View Post
Poor Richard says "There are no gains without pains."

15 games into a locked out season and we want to strip the "A", Buy Him Out!
What's your point? Has his play not warranted these suggestions?

Old
02-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The Rangers are what, 6-3-1 in their last 10? I would say the team is winning despite him. Stepan. Hagelin. Nash.
How many of the goals those players have scored have Richards assists?

I'd bet quite a high percentage.

Old
02-20-2013, 11:46 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Helped lead the team to the Conference Finals last season, easily the most successful season in 15 years, and because he's playing poorly for one month, he should be "stripped of his A."

Got it.

Yes, you've got it....

I believe Janet Jackson said it best when she said "What have you done for me, lately?"

He should at least sit for a game. Sorry, I refuse to coddle someone who was due to earn 12mm this year.

Closed Thread