HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Karlsson - Achilles Tendon - Practicing w Team, May Return to Lineup Soon - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksens View Post
I full trust the medical staff we have - but man...do not rush this.

We aren't winning the cup this year.
That's called badittude

Old
04-09-2013, 02:11 PM
muffin with tentacle

Matt Cooke can't be too happy that his handiwork is being undone so quickly.
Attached Images
File Type: png claw.PNG‎ (247.5 KB, 21 views)

Old
04-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin with tentacle View Post
Lol. Priceless.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:15 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat View Post
And why do you assume that they don't without doing any research prior to making such a statement? FYI in the new CBA there is an: "applicable Therapeutic Use Exemption (“TUE”)" that players can use to take a substance that would otherwise be banned.

You're welcome.

http://nbcprohockeytalk.files.wordpr...an-12-2013.pdf
I just skimmed it but there's really not much in there. Its basically just that sentence you quoted. It doesn't specify anything. We'd need to see this TUE document, if it exists.

Anyways, I'm not saying there's no research that goes into what the doctor's and players are doing (there clearly is) but there's really no open discussion about this stuff when I believe there should be. Its a murky/taboo area. I see the Ray Lewis "deer antler spray" as an example. That was just ridiculous. Instead of some hack journalist with no medical credentials grabbing the spotlight, can't we have the team doctors come out discuss the subject? Educate people instead of making gut judgments.

I guess its more of a societal thing that bothers me. Rarely do we give people with real credentials a medium to share their knowledge in mainstream media. Same thing going on in Parliament right now with the conservatives. Generally, we just let the loudest people voice their opinions rather than the most qualified.

Suppose my whole point is, I wish people were smarter.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Andros777

Glad for Karlsson, I hope he comes back strong.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Smart people know better than to stick themselves in the spotlight.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Written by Don Brennan
good job Don.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:22 PM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

All things considered, they said 3-4 months and it has been 2 already. If he is ready to go 2 weeks from now, it's only 2 weeks early. I think we assumed the worst and thought 4 for sure which was basically the rest of the season unless the Sens made it to the finals

Old
04-09-2013, 02:23 PM
OgieO

Hook him up with some deer antler spray!

Old
04-09-2013, 02:23 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin with tentacle View Post
Great picture, (reuploaded it)

Old
04-09-2013, 02:26 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

Does Karlsson hold the record for the best games played to Norris trophy ratio in the NHL's history?

Old
04-09-2013, 02:31 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

We're not winning the cup? I wish we would have gotten the expert fortune teller's opinion before the start of the season so that the good fans and citizens of Ottawa could have saved their precious time and hard earned money this season. No point in watching a bunch of losers.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
This is not a case of steroids... such a horrible thing to do to ones body. I doubt Karlsson, nor Dr. Chow would allow it. There are some people that just heal quickly... Karlsson's build and muscle fiber probably adds to his recovery time. That is why he spends so much time on the ice when he is playing... his body is good at recovering and good at moving out toxins and various other acids that slow the healing process.
There are a ton of different types of steroids. There are a ton of misconceptions about them -- they're used more often than you think even by regular people for their recovery properties.

Again, not saying that he's taking PEDs, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were part of the recovery process.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapJack View Post
All things considered, they said 3-4 months and it has been 2 already. If he is ready to go 2 weeks from now, it's only 2 weeks early. I think we assumed the worst and thought 4 for sure which was basically the rest of the season unless the Sens made it to the finals
I thought it was 3-4 until he resumed skating, and he wouldn't be game ready for 6-8?

Old
04-09-2013, 02:43 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
I thought it was 3-4 until he resumed skating, and he wouldn't be game ready for 6-8?
It was never clear to me but I took it as 3-4 months to recover and be playing, but another half a year for him to feel 100% normal.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I just skimmed it but there's really not much in there. Its basically just that sentence you quoted. It doesn't specify anything. We'd need to see this TUE document, if it exists.

Anyways, I'm not saying there's no research that goes into what the doctor's and players are doing (there clearly is) but there's really no open discussion about this stuff when I believe there should be. Its a murky/taboo area. I see the Ray Lewis "deer antler spray" as an example. That was just ridiculous. Instead of some hack journalist with no medical credentials grabbing the spotlight, can't we have the team doctors come out discuss the subject? Educate people instead of making gut judgments.

I guess its more of a societal thing that bothers me. Rarely do we give people with real credentials a medium to share their knowledge in mainstream media. Same thing going on in Parliament right now with the conservatives. Generally, we just let the loudest people voice their opinions rather than the most qualified.

My response was not aimed at your post. It was aimed at all those jumping in about why the NHL did not allow players to use a banned substances to "heal faster", and suspicions about players using these substances illegally, etc.

My point is, that just a little research on the subject would have yielded what I found, which is that the PA and the NHL have done just that. They have created a TUE in the new CBA, and while there is no specific language (there is a report due prior to June 30th of this year apparently), it is pretty evident that players can now be exempt from using banned substances under therapeutic circumstances. I'm sure it will involve doctors opinions, etc. It won't be just some excuse used by players to use banned substances that aren't medically required.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
It was never clear to me but I took it as 3-4 months to recover and be playing, but another half a year for him to feel 100% normal.
I concur.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:56 PM
duckstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat View Post
My response was not aimed at your post. It was aimed at all those jumping in about why the NHL did not allow players to use a banned substances to "heal faster", and suspicions about players using these substances illegally, etc.

My point is, that just a little research on the subject would have yielded what I found, which is that the PA and the NHL have done just that. They have created a TUE in the new CBA, and while there is no specific language (there is a report due prior to June 30th of this year apparently), it is pretty evident that players can now be exempt from using banned substances under therapeutic circumstances. I'm sure it will involve doctors opinions, etc. It won't be just some excuse used by players to use banned substances that aren't medically required.
I think going from that one line to guys taking roids to speed up rehab is a bit of a silly jump.

I'd imagine the more likely scenario would be: testosterone is a banned substance -- player X gets his balls lopped off by matt cooke's skate -- player X gets exemption to take testosterone because it's actually necessary.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:02 PM
newerabegins

Old
04-09-2013, 03:03 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Does Karlsson hold the record for the best games played to Norris trophy ratio in the NHL's history?
Not even close. Orr is over 2x better in that sense.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:05 PM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckstreet View Post
I think going from that one line to guys taking roids to speed up rehab is a bit of a silly jump.

I'd imagine the more likely scenario would be: testosterone is a banned substance -- player X gets his balls lopped off by matt cooke's skate -- player X gets exemption to take testosterone because it's actually necessary.
In tennis (different sport, I realize) they allow HGH treatments when recovering from an injury. It has shown to speed recovery times without much consequence. It would not surprise me if the same was allowed while recovering from injury in the NHL.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Great picture, (reuploaded it)

Is the cat Tyler Kennedy?

Old
04-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckstreet View Post

I'm pretty sure it will mean, if a doctor OK's it for therapeutic treatment then it's OK. Steroids or otherwise. I'm sure there will be checks and balances, and independent third party doctors if there are any disputes, etc. In any case, whatever the exact policy turns out to be, the fact remains that there will be some sort of TUE that players will be able to use which will allow the use of banned substances in certain cases.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:23 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Is the cat Tyler Kennedy?
It's a cat not a pig so I doubt it.

Maybe Dupuis.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
It's a cat not a pig so I doubt it.

Maybe Dupuis.
I know but its a cat with a human pig nose.

Closed Thread