HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2013 CIS Playoffs

Old
03-02-2013, 01:49 PM
RED ARMY EAST

vCash: 500
Remember, there are seedings, which can play in your favour at U Cup.

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Big Bad Jon

Although as fans we may not care too much about an AUS Championship...both of these teams are very accustomed to winning games and neither one has any interest or will get any joy out of losing...although both teams have higher expectations than 'just' an AUS Championship, there is no questions that once the puck drops on this series both teams will be giving 100%!

Big Bad Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 02:56 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Remember, there are seedings, which can play in your favour at U Cup.
True. I think we all expect Alberta to win CW and maintain the #1 ranking, so the difference between winning the AUS and not means being grouped with Sask. + the OUA Champ (if you win) or Alberta + OUA Runner-up (if you lose). I prefer the former scenario....although actually there probably isn't too much difference now that I really think about it....with the difference between Alberta/Sask is probably similar to that of the OUA Champ/Runner-up

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 03-02-2013 at 03:23 PM.
UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 03:15 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex View Post
With both teams heading to the University Cup, I'm not expecting to see much in the way of physical play. I think both teams would prefer heading west with a full, healthy roster.
One would like to believe that, but I don't think that will be the case. They both want to win the AUS championship and go to Nationals as the AUS champ ...

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 05:36 PM
radapex

vCash: 1150
Robertson not out for warmup for UNB. Looks like Priamo will be in the lineup.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 10:35 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

UNB over SMU 1-0 in double-OT to win opening game of AUS Finals

Waterloo sweeps Windsor after 5-3 win, giving them the OUA West title and a trip to Saskatoon

Saskatchewan beats Alberta 5-4 in OT on a ridiculous goal by Brennan Bosch. Signs of last season??

Old
03-03-2013, 12:17 AM
Rob

UNB 1 SMU 0 (2ot) - Any doubt that these teams were just content with going to the Nationals was put to rest. A great effort by both teams. UNB carried most of the play but SMU did an excellent job of keeping them to the outside and clogging up the shooting lanes. Huskies made a lot of blocked shots and gave the Vreds very little room to get quality shots away.

The game winner came on a scramble in front of the net when it appeared that Nick Macneil scored but it was waved off by the ref. The puck was lying in the crease with SMU goalie Anthony Peters out of position when Dion Campbell towards the puck and took two swipes to eventually knock it in.

Daniel Lacosta made 24 saves for the win in Shutout. Peters was outstanding in nets with 40 saves. The man rarely gives up any rebounds.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:29 AM
gleanerguy

However, the loser will rationalize that you have to beat a good team regardless to win the University Cup and playing in the AUS final was great preparation for it. When the top six teams in the country are there, seedings don't much matter.

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Rob

Surprised to read that Saskatchewan came back to beat Alberta. Especially after Friday night's thumping. I guess the Huskies decided not to roll over and play dead afterall. Looking forward to watching Sunday night's game.

Congratualtions to the Waterloo Warriors! It is always nice to have a cinderella in the Nationals. Does anyone know when the last time Waterloo made the Nationals?

Old
03-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Rob

The oua site is not showing the Carleton v UQTR games as being livestreamed. However, I'm pretty sure almost all Patriotes home games are broadcast.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:28 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
However, the loser will rationalize that you have to beat a good team regardless to win the University Cup and playing in the AUS final was great preparation for it. When the top six teams in the country are there, seedings don't much matter.
True, but ....

Peters and/or Wallingford noted last night after that game that besides "wanting to go in the front door" as conference champion, seeding determines your hotel, your dressing room, etc.

So it matters is some ways that may be subtle to fans.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:52 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
The oua site is not showing the Carleton v UQTR games as being livestreamed. However, I'm pretty sure almost all Patriotes home games are broadcast.
Was game 1 web-cast?

Just a heads up, the time of the game is 3PM AST according to the OUA site...I thought it was originally scheduled to be an evening game.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:39 AM
RED ARMY EAST

Game 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Saskatuned View Post
Alberta played a near-perfect game Friday night. The Bears are on a roll, no doubt about it.
The Humbled Huskies, plagued by inconsistency all season, are prone to crapping the bed every once in a while. This wasn't the first time.
How they respond to this challenge will say a lot about what sort of character they have in the dressing room.
I can assure you that the Huskies played a lot differently at home against the Bears when I saw the two teams play in the first half.
They've bounced back before? Will they do it tonight? It will be interesting to see.
Well, nice to see the Huskies put up a better showing in
Edmonton saturday night. Big comeback with former Tommie Kenton Dulle netting the tying goal, late in the third period. i would think that this could be a confidence booster even if they fail to win toniite in game 3.
Not an easy task, since all games are in claire drake Arena in Edmonton.
Meanwhile, the Bears have only had to play 3 playoff games, all in their barn. they would be the only team in the CIS to have not had to play a single playoff road game. that's quite an advantage and it's one that they have taken advantage of, for year after year.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:49 AM
RED ARMY EAST

seedings

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
True, but ....

Peters and/or Wallingford noted last night after that game that besides "wanting to go in the front door" as conference champion, seeding determines your hotel, your dressing room, etc.

So it matters is some ways that may be subtle to fans.
Alberta media also made note of the advantages during last nights game against Saskatchewan.
Bears are aware of it, so are SMU and UNB.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:43 AM
AUS Fan

Critchlow Hit

The hit on Okeefe was reckless and may be reviewed. Crtich left his feet and targetted the head. Not the same as the hit on Owens by Wilgosh, but still not a good play. Wouldn't be surprised if SMU sends in a tape and see what Phil Currie does.

Other than that, the game was pretty entertaining. Although, given the territorial advange UNB had, it must be a bit of a downer to only score once on a "disputed" play. I thought the goal was good, cause I think a SMU player touched the puck after the initial wave off.

Looking forward to a good tilt Tuesday night. Hope to see some Freddy-ites in the crowd.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 11:51 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Regarding the Critchlow hit....if he is suspended for it how would that impact things going forward, given that he was also suspended for a game in the PEI series?

Old
03-03-2013, 01:22 PM
azh89

Quote:
Yep, there will be a webcast, just not on SSN. Here's the link: https://oraprdnt.uqtr.uquebec.ca/pls..._no_fiche=110&

The commentary will be all in french, though.

azh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:03 PM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Regarding the Critchlow hit....if he is suspended for it how would that impact things going forward, given that he was also suspended for a game in the PEI series?
Good question. Hard to say what will come out of this, if anything at all. He may get a game or 2 or maybe nothing.

Even though there was no call on the play, there was contact to the head.

Wait and see if anything develops.....

Old
03-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudes89 View Post
Yep, there will be a webcast, just not on SSN. Here's the link: https://oraprdnt.uqtr.uquebec.ca/pls..._no_fiche=110&

The commentary will be all in french, though.
Works great. Thanks

Old
03-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Island Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Good question. Hard to say what will come out of this, if anything at all. He may get a game or 2 or maybe nothing.

Even though there was no call on the play, there was contact to the head.

Wait and see if anything develops.....
All I can say, despite St Mary's being my team, is it happens everywhere, not just PEI.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:52 PM
AUS Fan

Unless they're all standing up top, there are a lot of people disguised as a Blue seats.

Old
03-03-2013, 04:38 PM
AdamMcg83

Quote:
Surprised to read that Saskatchewan came back to beat Alberta. Especially after Friday night's thumping. I guess the Huskies decided not to roll over and play dead afterall. Looking forward to watching Sunday night's game.

Congratualtions to the Waterloo Warriors! It is always nice to have a cinderella in the Nationals. Does anyone know when the last time Waterloo made the Nationals?
The Warriors last made nationals in 1995-96, which was also their last Queen's Cup title. The only national title Waterloo ever won was in 1974.

AdamMcg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamMcg83 View Post
The Warriors last made nationals in 1995-96, which was also their last Queen's Cup title. The only national title Waterloo ever won was in 1974.
Thanks for the trivia.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:21 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

UQTR/Carleton heading to triple OT.

Old
03-03-2013, 05:56 PM
AUS Fan

This game reminds me a lot of last night, with the territorial advantage UNB had. Both teams playing it safe and the odd flurry with a scoring chance. It may come down to a broken play and a weak goal. Or whichever team collapses from hunger....

Edit: The freezing is a bit annoying