Notices

OT- 90s Expansion Drafts

Old
02-15-2013, 08:43 PM
smithformeragent

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
OT- 90s Expansion Drafts

So, I happened to be doing some reading about the expansion drafts in 1991, 92, and 93. It was pretty crazy how things shook out IMO. I was only a kid at the time, so all I knew is that the Mighty Ducks were becoming a team and that San Jose, Ottawa and TB were really ba din NHLPA Hockey 93. I also found it weird that in NHL 94, there were guys on multiple teams. (Vanbeisbruck was on the Rangers and Panthers)

From what I read, the Oakland/California Seals relocated to Cleveland, and then were going to fold, but were instead merged with the North Stars. This lasted about a decade and the former Seals owner wanted to go back to Oakland. Thus, the Sharks were born.

This is where it gets weird. The Sharks were allowed to draft half of the players from the North Stars. Then, both teams were allowed to draft players from the other teams.

Ottawa and Tampa were allowed to draft players from all NHL teams the following year except SJ.

Anaheim and Florida as well as Tampa, Ottawa and SJ took part in the expansion draft the following season. Anyway, the whole process seems pretty messed up, just from what I've read. Anyone remember living through this? I'd have been pissed if I was a fan of the North Stars at the time. Lose half of your team, and then have them relocate a year later.

02-15-2013, 09:56 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

And yet, they (the North Stars) went to the Finals that year.

Honestly, I didn't recall the particulars. A good forum to ask is the History of Hockey group....they really get in depth with some great stuff.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:39 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
So, I happened to be doing some reading about the expansion drafts in 1991, 92, and 93. It was pretty crazy how things shook out IMO. I was only a kid at the time, so all I knew is that the Mighty Ducks were becoming a team and that San Jose, Ottawa and TB were really ba din NHLPA Hockey 93. I also found it weird that in NHL 94, there were guys on multiple teams. (Vanbeisbruck was on the Rangers and Panthers)

From what I read, the Oakland/California Seals relocated to Cleveland, and then were going to fold, but were instead merged with the North Stars. This lasted about a decade and the former Seals owner wanted to go back to Oakland. Thus, the Sharks were born.

This is where it gets weird. The Sharks were allowed to draft half of the players from the North Stars. Then, both teams were allowed to draft players from the other teams.

Ottawa and Tampa were allowed to draft players from all NHL teams the following year except SJ.

Anaheim and Florida as well as Tampa, Ottawa and SJ took part in the expansion draft the following season. Anyway, the whole process seems pretty messed up, just from what I've read. Anyone remember living through this? I'd have been pissed if I was a fan of the North Stars at the time. Lose half of your team, and then have them relocate a year later.
Not as bad as you think.

The Stars were allowed to protect 14 players + 2 goalies who had played at least 50 NHL games.

The Sharks were then allowed to take 14 players + 2 goalies from the Stars.

Each team then took turns picking players from the ones left on the Stars.

Finally, the other NHL teams were allowed to protect 16 players + 2 goalies.

The Stars and Sharks then alternated picking from the other teams, who could only lose one player.

Look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_NH...pansion_Drafts

beauchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:43 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post

There is a thread called "History of Hockey" on HF Boards,. You may want to check it out for info on North Stars/Seals, etc.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:47 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Cool, thanks for the advice!

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote