HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

vCash: 500
Yeh why not have made the move last year (carter) or in the offseason (nash) or you know resign Semin. Doesnt make sense at all the GMGM pushes panic button and going trading futures. Also you never see capital scouts mentioned watching other teams so this just doesnt add up to me

Old
02-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
I am opposite. I think Kuz could be one of the really really good ones. I like Forsberg, but dont see his ceiling near as high as Kuznetsov.
Yeah, Kuznetsov obviously has more potential. I like the way Forsberg plays and think Kuznetsov is a drama queen. Forsberg could be a future captain. Like, an actual one. What I meant was Kuznetsov's trade value is lower, while his potential as a player is higher (more worth to the Capitals). It makes less sense to trade him because of that, but I would still rather see him go than Forsberg.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Halpysback*

Kuznetsov is a much better player than Forsberg right now and I think he'll always be ahead of him, at least offensively, but once he's here he's gonna get the Semin treatment so fast everyone's head will spin. Shame his trade value is absolute garbage until he comes over.

Old
02-17-2013, 04:37 PM
bonzaibondra12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Kuznetsov is a much better player than Forsberg right now and I think he'll always be ahead of him, at least offensively, but once he's here he's gonna get the Semin treatment so fast everyone's head will spin. Shame his trade value is absolute garbage until he comes over.
It will be worse. Semin was good defensively.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:51 AM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzaibondra12 View Post
It will be worse. Semin was good defensively.
Kuznetsov is much more emotional and theatrical though so people will cut him slack.

Appearing to care > playing good.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:29 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 50
Frantically working the phones eh. Why not just roll with, working the phones?

I believe George is expected to compete every year. The holes on our team, have nothing to do with a new coach.

I tend to think George was frantically working the phones before our big win streak. Wouldn't you be on the keyboard in your fantasy role of NHL14 GM, seeing 1 scoring winger, shoddy G play and no vet to mentor or turn to, a surplus of defensive LD - none of which will ever fill the core roster void of an all situation LD? The best chance at a home grown ASLD is Orlov, who is a RD, and is concussed out indefinitely.

Since George and his henchmen's prime directive remains to be secretive and never over pay, do not expect any blockbuster deal to get done. Expect all rumors you hear even if true to be dismissed because of the secrecy thing, or the source. It's never George.

The time to work the phones is not when other GMs know he is desperate. Bargain from a position of strength, not desperation. Like Poile used to do, IIRC. All his big deals were not after a 10 game losing streak.

GMs are trying to loot Kuz etc and they should when he dials up from last place.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 02-18-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old
02-18-2013, 08:38 AM
swimmer77
No 2nd guess, grind!

So you're saying GMGM will not be able to trade RH for a player like ROR? Dammit.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:24 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
So you're saying GMGM will not be able to trade RH for a player like ROR? Dammit.
Am I on the block?

He could easily deal me the offseason when GM's are negotiating on a more even playing field.

Its tough to find someone more desperate for a deal when you are in last place. So the only offers you get are fleece deals. The only hope, is finding someone that really wants to tank proper.

What team wants to tank or sell off this year? No one at this time I would presume, with a short season anyone can still make the playoffs in late February.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:32 AM
swimmer77
No 2nd guess, grind!

Well if the Caps are not going to trade you RH then perhaps we could try you on the third pair D which continues to leak. And perhaps we could give you a try in place of Carlson only on the PK. I know you are a leftie but really you couldn't do much worse.

I guess the hope was to pull you out of the lineup and that would cure everything that ails the team and put the Caps on top of the pile. Ain't happening. Thus the position of desperation.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:33 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Kuznetsov is much more emotional and theatrical though so people will cut him slack.

Appearing to care > playing good.
If there's a player who cares for the team result in every shift, it's Kuznetsov. Really.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:58 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Quote:
Well if the Caps are not going to trade you RH then perhaps we could try you on the third pair D which continues to leak. And perhaps we could give you a try in place of Carlson only on the PK. I know you are a leftie but really you couldn't do much worse.

I guess the hope was to pull you out of the lineup and that would cure everything that ails the team and put the Caps on top of the pile. Ain't happening. Thus the position of desperation.
George's LD mistakes:

Re-inking Poti who will come back and forth from IR to create unexpected log jams.
Not selling Poti on the high after a very solid playoffs when he was <limping> with Carlson.
Not selling Hammer on the high after a very solid playoffs.
Not selling Sarge on the high after his monster year.

Its fine that he has considered Alzner untouchable but maybe not when he considers all his prospects untouchable.

Defensive LD is a position of depth yet he can't or won't even trade a single one.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:01 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Can the Joey Crabb experiment end please?

Old
02-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
George's LD mistakes:

Re-inking Poti who will come back and forth from IR to create unexpected log jams.
Not selling Poti on the high after a very solid playoffs when he was <limping> with Carlson.
Not selling Hammer on the high after a very solid playoffs.
Not selling Sarge on the high after his monster year.

Its fine that he has considered Alzner untouchable but maybe not when he considers all his prospects untouchable.

Defensive LD is a position of depth yet he can't or won't even trade a single one.
Couldn't the not selling on the high mistake be applied to literally everyone who has been around since the Caps were last really good...?

Old
02-18-2013, 10:31 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Couldn't the not selling on the high mistake be applied to literally everyone who has been around since the Caps were last really good...?
Sure thing.

It's like playing the stock market. He is a buy and hold guy, and doesn't sell on the high, hoping the stock price will just keep going up. Did he think Sarge would be plus 100 the next year? Or could he have realized, wow, he rode the coat tails of 4 total studs, to stardom. Even Canada was calling him nasty, ironically.

GM could have said, hey, Alzner can maybe do that next year. Or Poti. Or a Hammer.

GM seems to refuse to address problems within his core, the existing core becomes complacent, and their play suffers and then they lose trade value. Sarge was coresque in that monster year, but watching him in the playoffs showed all I wanted to see.

I think many would argue the same for Semin, not me though.

GM has to be the eye for the organization and know which players are not going to fit long term, and move them before any else figures it out, to maximize or at least make the return, equitable.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:37 AM
swimmer77
No 2nd guess, grind!

They've got to decide about Hamrlik. It boggles my brain that he's benched after three games when he was on ice for a grand total of 3 (one on the PK) out of 14 goals scored against the Caps. He took no penalties. The problems run a little deeper and maybe he could help with those.

He's a few months removed from a solid playoff series. How you can draw a conclusion of his play after a plethora of shuffling is beyond me. But in doing so they have everyone thinking he no longer can get the job done and was/is the root of all the Caps' problems.

There seems to be an inherent weakness on the third pairing and a glaring one in Carlson on the PK. Hamrlik would be worth a try in both cases. Poti, Kundratek and Schultz are the bottom of the barrel in plus / minus.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:40 AM
IkeaMonkey*

Joey Crabb is the new age Joel Kiwi, except the gap between Kiwi's Caps and these Caps in terms of skill is like massive.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:09 AM
BrooklynCapsFan

We've got to decide what to do about Hamrlik so you'll stop writing essays about him.

I think Hamrlik and Perreault have had more written about them here over the past two years than anyone else on the team.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
They've got to decide about Hamrlik. It boggles my brain that he's benched after three games when he was on ice for a grand total of 3 (one on the PK) out of 14 goals scored against the Caps. He took no penalties. The problems run a little deeper and maybe he could help with those.

He's a few months removed from a solid playoff series. How you can draw a conclusion of his play after a plethora of shuffling is beyond me. But in doing so they have everyone thinking he no longer can get the job done and was/is the root of all the Caps' problems.

There seems to be an inherent weakness on the third pairing and a glaring one in Carlson on the PK. Hamrlik would be worth a try in both cases. Poti, Kundratek and Schultz are the bottom of the barrel in plus / minus.
Hamrlik IMO is a victim of a coaching staff that places an unbelievable amount of emphasis on the handedness of their blueliners at the expense of actual ability.

Even though I am not nearly as enamored with Kundratek as so many around here he has had a decent start to the season without a doubt. But there is no way in hell he he should have been picking up nearly all of Green's minutes like last night. That kind of bump up in ice time can only be explained IMO by the fact he is a right shot and they only had 2 of them last night.

So that leaves Hamrlik behind Alzner, Erskine, Schultz, and Poti on the left side so currently two of them are going to have to go down before Hamrlik gets back in the lineup.

I understand preferring right shots on the right but there is a whole lot more to playing defense in this league than that. It wasn't too long ago that having more than one right shot defenseman on a roster was a luxury and plenty of teams iced 6 lefties regularly.

Hamrlik and Poti both have good enough skill to play on the right with no problems whatsoever. When Green or Carlson go down they should be the ones who pick up the majority of their ice time not Kundratek basically doubling his normal ice time while Poti gets less than 10 minutes.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Over the volcano

There's some talk over on the Bruins board about Alex Khokhlachev, Johnny Boychuck and Adam McQuaid for Carlson. You'd be getting two solid (yet unspectacular) physical defensemen and a dynamic top prospect.

I'm curious if you all think there'd be any interest.

Last edited by Over the volcano: 02-18-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old
02-18-2013, 03:08 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
There's some talk over on the Bruins board about making an offer of Alex Khokhlachev, Boynton and McQuaid for Carlson. You'd be getting two solid (yet unspectacular) physical defensemen and a dynamic top prospect.

Don't see it. I'm not one who assumes Carlson is totally untouchable in the near term (honestly wouldn't shock me if one of he or Green were moved before Green's deal is up, depending on some other factors) but that's not the type of deal they'd make if they did trade him. And certainly the timing doesn't make sense; his value is probably as low as it's been in some time.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:13 PM
CrashTheNet9

Boynton is a free agent...

You mean Boychuk.

Last edited by CrashTheNet9: 02-18-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old
02-18-2013, 04:08 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
There's some talk over on the Bruins board about Alex Khokhlachev, Nick Boynton and Adam McQuaid for Carlson. You'd be getting two solid (yet unspectacular) physical defensemen and a dynamic top prospect.

No. If we were to trade Carlson it'd take a good young player (like Krejci) and a first rounder. Maybe more.

But if Green's groin problems are back, would be dumb to trade JCar.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Over the volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheNet9 View Post
Boynton is a free agent...

You mean Boychuk.
Yes I do, totally. My mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
No. If we were to trade Carlson it'd take a good young player (like Krejci) and a first rounder. Maybe more.

But if Green's groin problems are back, would be dumb to trade JCar.
Krejci is Boston's home grown first line center. I don't think he'd be available, but I get your sentiment.

You think a 2 for one on defense would be dumb if they lose Green? Boychuck and McQuaid could step right in, settle down the back end and bring some grit (though they wouldn't provide much offense).

Last edited by Over the volcano: 02-18-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old
02-18-2013, 04:14 PM
txpd

for starters, mcphee doesnt get frantic. its totally against his nature. frantic suggests he would do something stupid out of desperation. which he would also not do.

edit: i just read the post with those rumors. its written like garrioch who writes those sunday pieces like the "talk" he "hears" it the usual shooting the **** that hockey people do when talking hockey. not anything inside.

the idea that mcphee would expect hamrlik who is not playing to return a real playing is silly. just as silly as he notion of mcphee being frantic or so desperate.

Last edited by txpd: 02-18-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old
02-18-2013, 05:08 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Yes I do, totally. My mistake.

Krejci is Boston's home grown first line center. I don't think he'd be available, but I get your sentiment.

You think a 2 for one on defense would be dumb if they lose Green? Boychuck and McQuaid could step right in, settle down the back end and bring some grit (though they wouldn't provide much offense).
We have more than enough grit on the back end. Like Erskine and Alzner.
We don't have much offense. Without Green and Carlson do you know who are our best offensive d-men? Dmitry Orlov, who is concussed and was less than spectacular in his time with Hershey this year. Then rookie Tomas Kundratek, who is a third-pairing guy and probably will never be anything more than that. And then... Brooks Laich. Yeah, he'd have to play defense then. (I don't consider Poti an offensive defenseman anymore, he has become a more defensive guy in the last few years).
So if we trade Carlson, RH OD of the lesser or similar level would have to come back.
Leave our RD alone already. Mike Green's injuries create more than enough mess there to add trading Carly to that havoc.

Closed Thread