HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I'd rather point and laugh at those who think secondary scoring is even close to our biggest problem.

If you want to take stats out of it entirely you can just say that Semin was given the opportunity to lead a second line and failed. Ribeiro has succeeded.
Common man, its fairly obvious by now that Simin wasnt the problem here. Now that we dont have him to blame for "lazy" penalties, without looking it up, to me, it looks like we get more of those from everybody else, but we just have nobody to blame.
Meanwhile, Semin seems to be doing just fine in Carolina, and get this - they are actually happy with him, what a cancer!
Before season started i said we'll not make playoffs if we lose Semin without replacing him with a decent winger... Yeah, there is a chance we can still get in, but its like what 2 maybe 3 percent...
Once again, Semin wasn't the problem here, you were barking under the wrong tree.

Last edited by Vladiator16: 02-22-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old
02-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Mcphee has been right so far. Brouwer has replaced and improved on Semin with a boost from Ribeiro.
Brouwer and Semin were both on the team last year. If Brouwer replaced Semin, who replaced Brouwer?

Quote:
Brouwer's at a 36 goal pace with Ribeiro. Semin's at a 20 goal pace with Staal.
Semin is the playmaker on that line, not the trigger man. Notice how Staal is suddenly playing at an 100-pt pace for the first time since 05-06? And a 40+ goal pace for the first time since 08-09? He credits Semin. The Canes fans credit Semin. Why do you refuse the obvious?

Not to mention, Brouwer isn't even playing with Ribeiro. He's playing with Backstrom. There was a short lived 26-9-20 line, but for the rest of the season, 20 and 19 have been together at even strength.

Quote:
I don't see how anyone can watch this team and say that secondary scoring is a problem. Ribeiro has single handedly fixed that. The problems are top line scoring, defense, goaltending and the pk.
How can you have secondary scoring if you don't have primary scoring? Right now, Ribeiro (specifically on the PP) is our primary scoring. We don't have anything outside of him. Secondary scoring is still a huge issue.

Quote:
Again, Brouwer has more than twice as many goals and is scoring goals at a quicker pace than Semin has in three years. For pete sake Ward has more goals and as many points as Semin. And yet Semin is the answer to our secondary scoring "problem". Even at $7 million.
Right now, we are clearly lacking in the top six winger category. Brouwer is producing well enough to validate his spot there. But we've reached the point where Jason Chimera and his zero goals are on the top line. And when he gets bumped off, he's replaced by career-high 9 goal scorer Matt Hendricks. Wojtek Wolski and his 4 points is managing to hang onto a top six spot. Even Ovechkin can't find the twine.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
BB leaves we still make the playoffs and proceed to look better than we ever did in the playoffs under BB.
I'm sorry but what?

I'd take the way the Caps looked taking the eventual cup winning Pens to 7 games in the second round in '09 over the way the team looked taking the Rangers to 7 games in the second round last year.

The '09 team at least played to win and to their strengths. Last year's team played not to lose and relied on coin flips.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:54 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Semin is the playmaker on that line, not the trigger man. Notice how Staal is suddenly playing at an 100-pt pace for the first time since 05-06? And a 40+ goal pace for the first time since 08-09? He credits Semin. The Canes fans credit Semin. Why do you refuse the obvious?
I'm so glad Semin is making his teammates better in Carolina. He was asked to do that here and failed. Ribeiro was given the exact same assignment here and has succeeded. For cheaper. What am I missing?

Old
02-22-2013, 10:59 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I'm so glad Semin is making his teammates better in Carolina. He was asked to do that here and failed. Ribeiro was given the exact same assignment here and has succeeded. For cheaper. What am I missing?
That Semin was the glue, and the Caps would be good if they'd kept him and not gotten Ribeiro. Duh.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Yeah Ribeiro has helped make Ovechkin tied for 101st in league scoring and tied for 682nd in +/- while Semin has helped make Staal better to the tune of being tied for 14th in the league in scoring and tied for 2nd in the league in +/-.

Who could argue with that...?

Old
02-22-2013, 11:18 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
That Semin was the glue, and the Caps would be good if they'd kept him and not gotten Ribeiro. Duh.

Duh!!

Old
02-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Langway
Intangibles

@StapeNewsday: #Isles will place Rick DiPietro on waivers at noon.

Former #1 overall pick. Pretty tempting.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:26 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post

"We need a goalie" thread goes crazy.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:26 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Yeah Ribeiro has helped make Ovechkin tied for 101st in league scoring and tied for 682nd in +/- while Semin has helped make Staal better to the tune of being tied for 14th in the league in scoring and tied for 2nd in the league in +/-.

Who could argue with that...?
How many games has he centered Ovechkin for, 6? 7?

How many assists does he have to Ovechkin? 5.

He centered Ward for a while and had him scoring at the same pace as Semin.

It's fine to be a Semin fan. I don't understand it myself, but whatever. But to say that Ribeiro hasnt made his linemates better here? That's just objectively wrong.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Maryland17

Quote:

Waivers . . . then a buyout. If he gets bought out, I'd dabble for a 2-year deal if he is deemed healthy enough to play 50% of games.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
How many games has he centered Ovechkin for, 6? 7?

How many assists does he have to Ovechkin? 5.
Ribeiro has been on the PP all year long and it isn't like Ovechkin has been lighting it up at even strength since Ribeiro became his centerman.

Without a doubt Ribeiro had some nice chemistry with Ward early in the season before Oates broke them up. But Ward has had some nice chemistry with Perreault and Fehr since so I wouldn't put that all on Ribeiro.

I'm talking about making elite players better, you know the ones who make big differences in team's fortunes? Staal and Semin are elite players. Ovechkin even with the downturn is an elite player. Staal is playing the best he has in years while Ovechkin is playing the worst he has in years.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:49 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Ribeiro has been on the PP all year long and it isn't like Ovechkin has been lighting it up at even strength since Ribeiro became his centerman.

Without a doubt Ribeiro had some nice chemistry with Ward early in the season before Oates broke them up. But Ward has had some nice chemistry with Perreault and Fehr since so I wouldn't put that all on Ribeiro.

I'm talking about making elite players better, you know the ones who make big differences in team's fortunes? Staal and Semin are elite players. Ovechkin even with the downturn is an elite player. Staal is playing the best he has in years while Ovechkin is playing the worst he has in years.
I'm glad you brought up the powerplay. Ovechkin is on pace for 21 ppg. His highest pace since 2008 and one off his career best. This coinciding with replacing Semin with Ribeiro on that unit.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
I'm glad you brought up the powerplay. Ovechkin is on pace for 21 ppg. His highest pace since 2008 and one off his career best. This coinciding with replacing Semin with Ribeiro on that unit.
Ribeiro isn't the replacement for Semin in that PP scheme he is the replacement for Laich. Brouwer is Semin's replacement...

Old
02-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

1. Ribeiro should be signed.

I expect him to decline stats-wise later. Both this season and next several seasons. I don't know to what degree, but it's his contract season so we can expect him scoring at somewhat slower pace from summer and into his 35+ years.

But he gives us options and stability. While Oates could teach him some FO magic Brooks Laich will be a good LW for him because of several reasons including FOs.

If Ribeiro gets 4 years from McPhee it'd be not optimal but we shouldn't expect much bad just as we expected good from Nylander several years earlier Nylander was 1,5 years older the moment we signed him last time.

Also, signing Ribeiro is good asset management (c)

2. McPhee should address top-6 LW hole

I believe we have a long-term topline LW hole which should be solved tanking or not.
Chimera and Hendricks are past their physical peek. Laich is both not elite talent and coming into his 30s also. He is getting injured more often, I see it as a trend.

Also Laich could be used at another position should McPhee find more LW than Caps need today (I mean one trade/UFA LW + one Forsberg, for example). I don't see longterm problems with moving Laich down the LW chart (into 3C position probably).

Considering Laich's excessive salary as an albatross is a bit premature I guess because we have enough cap space and 2 wingers potentially available on their cheap ELC this summer (Wilson, Forsberg). Later it could be even more with Kuznetsov and this years draft pick maybe.

So there is nothing that prevents McPhee from getting LW which we really need right about yesterday. We have pieces to trade, cap space and a long-term salary/cap line.

By my calculations McPhee can expect around 4M of free cap space in the summer. He can use it tomorrow.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:03 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Ribeiro isn't the replacement for Semin in that PP scheme he is the replacement for Laich. Brouwer is Semin's replacement...
Got it. So Brouwer is driving Ovechkin's powerplay renaissance.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:07 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Yup. It's not the guy that's taking Semin's place on the half-wall.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Yeah, because it was one or the other...

Old
02-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
No having someone who can pass the puck worth a damn instead of Laich down low on the opposite side is. Laich had 4 PP assists all season last year. It could just as easily be Perreault IMO.

Honestly I couldn't be happier with Ribeiro's play so far this season outside of his faceoff work. But I don't see him helping make the most important player on the team better in general.

On the other hand Semin is clearly making his team's most important player much better than he has been over the last few seasons.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:19 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Why is anyone trying to downplay the impact of the team's best player this season, who's on a full-season pace of 30 goals and 66 assists?

Old
02-22-2013, 12:24 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
No having someone who can pass the puck worth a damn instead of Laich down low on the opposite side is. Laich had 4 PP assists all season last year. It could just as easily be Perreault IMO.

Honestly I couldn't be happier with Ribeiro's play so far this season outside of his faceoff work. But I don't see him helping make the most important player on the team better in general.

On the other hand Semin is clearly making his team's most important player much better than he has been over the last few seasons.
Had Semin done for Ovechkin what he is doing for Staal, he would still be here. And we'd probably have a cup banner at Verizon.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:

This year's Matthew Yeats. And the next eight years'.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:36 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Had Semin done for Ovechkin what he is doing for Staal, he would still be here. And we'd probably have a cup banner at Verizon.
Yeah Semin playing on a separate line really dropped the ball on making Ovechkin better...

Old
02-22-2013, 12:40 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Yeah Semin playing on a separate line really dropped the ball on making Ovechkin better...
Well there's the powerplay, where Ribeiro is outperforming him and feeding Ovechkin gimmes. And then when Ribeiro is on a separate line he's making his linemates better and outperforming him.

You're the one who moved the comparison in that direction.

Old
02-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
I'm sorry but what?

I'd take the way the Caps looked taking the eventual cup winning Pens to 7 games in the second round in '09 over the way the team looked taking the Rangers to 7 games in the second round last year.

The '09 team at least played to win and to their strengths. Last year's team played not to lose and relied on coin flips.
7 games or not that team got abused by the pens. Varlamov and Ovechkin made it seem way, way, way closer than it really was. Game 7 was a whole lot more indicative of the true difference between the teams.

Closed Thread