HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVIII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-01-2013, 08:31 PM
  #626
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,715
vCash: 500
Why on Earth would the Caps do that?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now  
Old
03-01-2013, 08:44 PM
  #627
MW6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Halland
Country: Sweden
Posts: 758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Why on Earth would the Caps do that?
Well, IMO Tom Wilson is far from certain to become more then a 3rd liner, and Caps have Forsberg and Kuznetsov as wing-prospects already.
1st OA will probably be either Jones or McKinnon to the Caps.

McKinnon will fill the center void behind Backstrom (Ribeiro re-signing is far for a sure thing), but I think Johansen (former 4th OA) could do just as well playing 2C behind Backstrom in a year or so.
Ryan Murray (last years 2nd OA) is exactly the kind of D the Caps haven't had since, well I don't know when? And he will round out the top 4 D very nicely Alzner-Green, Murray-Carlson, much better then yet another RH PMD (Seth Jones) would.

I just think the pieces fits the Caps puzzle much better this way!

MW6 is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 09:02 PM
  #628
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,715
vCash: 500
Johansen is far from certain to become anything more than a 3rd liner. And whoever is picked at 1 is a better prospect than Murray.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now  
Old
03-01-2013, 09:20 PM
  #629
msrulo
Registered User
 
msrulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 류경6
Country: North Korea
Posts: 2,565
vCash: 500
I watch Wilson. Imo he can live up the role of a second liner or first. He models his game from Lucic.

msrulo is offline  
Old
03-01-2013, 09:29 PM
  #630
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 11,820
vCash: 500
Johansen looks more like a bust than a high end prospect right now. Still early though.

Devil Dancer is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 08:17 AM
  #631
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 500
Yeah I would think the 1st overall would get you both Murray and Johansen at this point. No need to throw in Wilson IMO.

Millhaus is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 08:19 AM
  #632
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,706
vCash: 500
Hey guys, Habs fan here.

How's Hamrlik looked/played so far into the year? Overall since his signing? Would you re-sign him if he expressed interest?

T(h)anks!

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 08:31 AM
  #633
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke
 
PuckBuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Hey guys, Habs fan here.

How's Hamrlik looked/played so far into the year? Overall since his signing? Would you re-sign him if he expressed interest?

T(h)anks!
Gosh, now that I think about it, I can hardly remember seeing him on the ice for a single goal against....

For serious though, he might have been fine, but I don't think he was ever put in a position to succeed here, either paired with Green (oft injured) or even on his off-side as a steadying presence with Orlov or Kundratek.

I have a lot of trouble imagining that he'll be in the Caps org next year.

PuckBuddy is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 08:38 AM
  #634
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 500
Yeah no chance in hell they resign him. Some of it is with the cap going down next season they need the cap space but the main reason is even with a pretty shaky defense he rarely gets a jersey.

Millhaus is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 08:38 AM
  #635
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,706
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
Gosh, now that I think about it, I can hardly remember seeing him on the ice for a single goal against....

For serious though, he might have been fine, but I don't think he was ever put in a position to succeed here, either paired with Green (oft injured) or even on his off-side as a steadying presence with Orlov or Kundratek.

I have a lot of trouble imagining that he'll be in the Caps org next year.
I just noticed that he's only played 4 games. Why is that?

Full disclosure: I hated his stint on the Habs, he always seemed lazy and out of shape and all around mediocre. Fans loved him for some reason and it just turned me off. Jacques Martin loved him too and played him and Spacek like 23 min a night, which was a big turn off too. I'm asking now because his comments in the off-season annoyed me and most Habs fans would blindly accept him or mention him in trade proposals even though (it seems) he's deteriorating rapidly.

Basically I'm trying to see if my perception that he's over-the-hill and useless is wrong or not so I can avoid seeming ignorant on the situation.

WhiskeySeven is offline  
Old
03-02-2013, 08:40 AM
  #636
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 500
I think he still has more than enough to be an effective 3rd pairing guy in this league. No way would I want him in a regular top 4 role though.

Millhaus is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 10:11 AM
  #637
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,173
vCash: 500
Unless more injuries happen, the Caps wont be picking in the top 5 (well, save some lottery magic).

They are starting to understand Oates system, so my guess is we will see more wins than losses going forward, to the tune of an overall .500 record.

Wont be good enough to make the playoffs-- or if they squeek in -- to do any damage. But also not bad enough to end up top 5 pick.

Basically, purgatory.

Fire George!

Ridley Simon is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 10:43 AM
  #638
EYEuhFRAYtee
Registered User
 
EYEuhFRAYtee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 2,476
vCash: 500
Win the Southeast.

Go on impossibru playoff run to the cup.

Give Mafki 3 year extension.

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 10:45 AM
  #639
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke
 
PuckBuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I just noticed that he's only played 4 games. Why is that?

Full disclosure: I hated his stint on the Habs, he always seemed lazy and out of shape and all around mediocre. Fans loved him for some reason and it just turned me off. Jacques Martin loved him too and played him and Spacek like 23 min a night, which was a big turn off too. I'm asking now because his comments in the off-season annoyed me and most Habs fans would blindly accept him or mention him in trade proposals even though (it seems) he's deteriorating rapidly.

Basically I'm trying to see if my perception that he's over-the-hill and useless is wrong or not so I can avoid seeming ignorant on the situation.
The man does seem to have an air of unphysicality and prickly indifference about him.

I thought he was good in a trapping role anchoring layers of defense in front of him and making a good first pass out of the zone. Hunter's man-on-man D-zone scheme didn't make him look so great; imagine Hamrlik marking up against someone fast and strong like Evander Kane. Bad news.

No idea what's going on this season. Theories abound ranging from his inability to hack it this system (I don't believe it, if Erskine can hang, so can Hamrlik), to his being punitively benched for speaking out against the NHLPA in the off-season, to his being trade bait (ha). I think it's just odd-man-out, Poti came back and filled the Caps' greybeard-marginally-physical-LHD-quota.

PuckBuddy is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 11:09 AM
  #640
swimmer77
What's an ROW?
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I just noticed that he's only played 4 games. Why is that?

Full disclosure: I hated his stint on the Habs, he always seemed lazy and out of shape and all around mediocre. Fans loved him for some reason and it just turned me off. Jacques Martin loved him too and played him and Spacek like 23 min a night, which was a big turn off too. I'm asking now because his comments in the off-season annoyed me and most Habs fans would blindly accept him or mention him in trade proposals even though (it seems) he's deteriorating rapidly.

Basically I'm trying to see if my perception that he's over-the-hill and useless is wrong or not so I can avoid seeming ignorant on the situation.
You again. May I ask why you hate him so much..........??????????

He's a few months removed from these team playoff stats...........

2nd blocked shots

3rd PK TOI (d-men only, Caps ranked 6th)

4th ES points overall (led d-men)

Plus 8 (led the team, more than half of the team was minus)

2nd total TOI

---------------------------------------------------------

Hamr is more inclined to be physical if he has some back up in the lineup which now the Caps have. He can be a beast in the playoffs. But he's also older. I honestly don't know how physical he would be if he played with Erskine and Volpatti in the lineup. He's not a fighter - never was - but he's picked fights anyhow with the likes of Hartnell and Thornton. Just seems he'll facewash and hit more if there is support in the lineup.

The Montreal lineup his first year there had more moxie. Hamr hit everything that moved in the playoffs.

Read PB for theories on why he isn't playing. When he signed with Washington Poti was unavailable. Poti came back this year. I'll surmise because Poti came back, is younger and has been with the Caps he'll get every chance to take a spot. I remember McPhee saying they will "make a spot for him". Hamrlik was Poti's backup.

And Evander Kane can turn a lot of d-men inside out.


Last edited by swimmer77: 03-03-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: change PP to PB ........... lol
swimmer77 is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 11:15 AM
  #641
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Unless more injuries happen, the Caps wont be picking in the top 5 (well, save some lottery magic).

They are starting to understand Oates system, so my guess is we will see more wins than losses going forward, to the tune of an overall .500 record.

Wont be good enough to make the playoffs-- or if they squeek in -- to do any damage. But also not bad enough to end up top 5 pick.

Basically, purgatory.

Fire George!
Not yet convinced that they can string enough wins together to climb out of the basement. 6 - 4 in the last 10 and they're still 14th in East. I think they may be a .500 team overall going forward, but I don't think they can win enough to leap over many teams.

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 12:00 PM
  #642
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 500
Without a doubt they are trending upwards. How steep a trajectory is realistic? I don't know but looking at how the Devils improved as their season went no way would I say that this is about as good as they can get.

I guess we will see but if the Caps do get on a roll, even if the hole they dug for themselves to start the season proves too much, I wouldn't necessarily call not getting a top pick a bad thing if it means going into next season as a well oiled machine.

Plus while it would drive some around here nuts there is always going to be a decent chance Nichushkin falls to the Caps if they are in the 10th-14th pick range...

Millhaus is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 12:11 PM
  #643
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Without a doubt they are trending upwards. How steep a trajectory is realistic? I don't know but looking at how the Devils improved as their season went no way would I say that this is about as good as they can get.

I guess we will see but if the Caps do get on a roll, even if the hole they dug for themselves to start the season proves too much, I wouldn't necessarily call not getting a top pick a bad thing if it means going into next season as a well oiled machine.

Plus while it would drive some around here nuts there is always going to be a decent chance Nichushkin falls to the Caps if they are in the 10th-14th pick range...
Went looking for it on You Tube but couldn't find it, so I'll just do my best Archie Bunker

More Russians, "AW JEEZ"

BiPolar Caps is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 12:28 PM
  #644
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,840
vCash: 500
Yeah Russians are the problem. Need moar leaderz of menz.

Halpysback is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 12:30 PM
  #645
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Went looking for it on You Tube but couldn't find it, so I'll just do my best Archie Bunker

More Russians, "AW JEEZ"
BPA regardless of where they are from or what position they play...

Millhaus is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:17 PM
  #646
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Need to pay whatever to keep ribs for 3 years.

HSHS is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:22 PM
  #647
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Need to pay whatever to keep ribs for 3 years.
Yep. Pay the man.

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 06:47 PM
  #648
Ovechkins Wodka
Registered User
 
Ovechkins Wodka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: DC
Posts: 4,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Need to pay whatever to keep ribs for 3 years.
or trade him. Just dont like him walk for nothing like semin

Ovechkins Wodka is offline  
Old
03-03-2013, 08:06 PM
  #649
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettXNA View Post
Again ? You think gmgm has ever been effective at being a gm in the past ?
Of course he has.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now  
Old
03-03-2013, 11:28 PM
  #650
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,470
vCash: 888
Keith Ballard a healthy scratch for 2 games...

Quite a few have said him and Tanev had been their best defense pair... So maybe a trade?

Left handed shot and hits...

SimplySensational is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.