HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVIII

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 08:31 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Why on Earth would the Caps do that?

Old
03-01-2013, 08:44 PM
MW6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Why on Earth would the Caps do that?
Well, IMO Tom Wilson is far from certain to become more then a 3rd liner, and Caps have Forsberg and Kuznetsov as wing-prospects already.
1st OA will probably be either Jones or McKinnon to the Caps.

McKinnon will fill the center void behind Backstrom (Ribeiro re-signing is far for a sure thing), but I think Johansen (former 4th OA) could do just as well playing 2C behind Backstrom in a year or so.
Ryan Murray (last years 2nd OA) is exactly the kind of D the Caps haven't had since, well I don't know when? And he will round out the top 4 D very nicely Alzner-Green, Murray-Carlson, much better then yet another RH PMD (Seth Jones) would.

I just think the pieces fits the Caps puzzle much better this way!

Old
03-01-2013, 09:02 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Johansen is far from certain to become anything more than a 3rd liner. And whoever is picked at 1 is a better prospect than Murray.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:20 PM
msrulo

I watch Wilson. Imo he can live up the role of a second liner or first. He models his game from Lucic.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:29 PM
Devil Dancer

Johansen looks more like a bust than a high end prospect right now. Still early though.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:17 AM
Millhaus

Yeah I would think the 1st overall would get you both Murray and Johansen at this point. No need to throw in Wilson IMO.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:19 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Hey guys, Habs fan here.

How's Hamrlik looked/played so far into the year? Overall since his signing? Would you re-sign him if he expressed interest?

T(h)anks!

Old
03-02-2013, 08:31 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Hey guys, Habs fan here.

How's Hamrlik looked/played so far into the year? Overall since his signing? Would you re-sign him if he expressed interest?

T(h)anks!
Gosh, now that I think about it, I can hardly remember seeing him on the ice for a single goal against....

For serious though, he might have been fine, but I don't think he was ever put in a position to succeed here, either paired with Green (oft injured) or even on his off-side as a steadying presence with Orlov or Kundratek.

I have a lot of trouble imagining that he'll be in the Caps org next year.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Millhaus

Yeah no chance in hell they resign him. Some of it is with the cap going down next season they need the cap space but the main reason is even with a pretty shaky defense he rarely gets a jersey.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:38 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
Gosh, now that I think about it, I can hardly remember seeing him on the ice for a single goal against....

For serious though, he might have been fine, but I don't think he was ever put in a position to succeed here, either paired with Green (oft injured) or even on his off-side as a steadying presence with Orlov or Kundratek.

I have a lot of trouble imagining that he'll be in the Caps org next year.
I just noticed that he's only played 4 games. Why is that?

Full disclosure: I hated his stint on the Habs, he always seemed lazy and out of shape and all around mediocre. Fans loved him for some reason and it just turned me off. Jacques Martin loved him too and played him and Spacek like 23 min a night, which was a big turn off too. I'm asking now because his comments in the off-season annoyed me and most Habs fans would blindly accept him or mention him in trade proposals even though (it seems) he's deteriorating rapidly.

Basically I'm trying to see if my perception that he's over-the-hill and useless is wrong or not so I can avoid seeming ignorant on the situation.

Old
03-02-2013, 08:40 AM
Millhaus

I think he still has more than enough to be an effective 3rd pairing guy in this league. No way would I want him in a regular top 4 role though.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Ridley Simon

Unless more injuries happen, the Caps wont be picking in the top 5 (well, save some lottery magic).

They are starting to understand Oates system, so my guess is we will see more wins than losses going forward, to the tune of an overall .500 record.

Wont be good enough to make the playoffs-- or if they squeek in -- to do any damage. But also not bad enough to end up top 5 pick.

Basically, purgatory.

Fire George!

Old
03-03-2013, 10:43 AM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Win the Southeast.

Go on impossibru playoff run to the cup.

Give Mafki 3 year extension.

Old
03-03-2013, 10:45 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:

Full disclosure: I hated his stint on the Habs, he always seemed lazy and out of shape and all around mediocre. Fans loved him for some reason and it just turned me off. Jacques Martin loved him too and played him and Spacek like 23 min a night, which was a big turn off too. I'm asking now because his comments in the off-season annoyed me and most Habs fans would blindly accept him or mention him in trade proposals even though (it seems) he's deteriorating rapidly.

Basically I'm trying to see if my perception that he's over-the-hill and useless is wrong or not so I can avoid seeming ignorant on the situation.
The man does seem to have an air of unphysicality and prickly indifference about him.

I thought he was good in a trapping role anchoring layers of defense in front of him and making a good first pass out of the zone. Hunter's man-on-man D-zone scheme didn't make him look so great; imagine Hamrlik marking up against someone fast and strong like Evander Kane. Bad news.

No idea what's going on this season. Theories abound ranging from his inability to hack it this system (I don't believe it, if Erskine can hang, so can Hamrlik), to his being punitively benched for speaking out against the NHLPA in the off-season, to his being trade bait (ha). I think it's just odd-man-out, Poti came back and filled the Caps' greybeard-marginally-physical-LHD-quota.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:09 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:

You again. May I ask why you hate him so much..........??????????

He's a few months removed from these team playoff stats...........

2nd blocked shots

3rd PK TOI (d-men only, Caps ranked 6th)

4th ES points overall (led d-men)

Plus 8 (led the team, more than half of the team was minus)

2nd total TOI

---------------------------------------------------------

Hamr is more inclined to be physical if he has some back up in the lineup which now the Caps have. He can be a beast in the playoffs. But he's also older. I honestly don't know how physical he would be if he played with Erskine and Volpatti in the lineup. He's not a fighter - never was - but he's picked fights anyhow with the likes of Hartnell and Thornton. Just seems he'll facewash and hit more if there is support in the lineup.

The Montreal lineup his first year there had more moxie. Hamr hit everything that moved in the playoffs.

Read PB for theories on why he isn't playing. When he signed with Washington Poti was unavailable. Poti came back this year. I'll surmise because Poti came back, is younger and has been with the Caps he'll get every chance to take a spot. I remember McPhee saying they will "make a spot for him". Hamrlik was Poti's backup.

And Evander Kane can turn a lot of d-men inside out.

Last edited by swimmer77: 03-03-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: change PP to PB ........... lol
Old
03-03-2013, 11:15 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Unless more injuries happen, the Caps wont be picking in the top 5 (well, save some lottery magic).

They are starting to understand Oates system, so my guess is we will see more wins than losses going forward, to the tune of an overall .500 record.

Wont be good enough to make the playoffs-- or if they squeek in -- to do any damage. But also not bad enough to end up top 5 pick.

Basically, purgatory.

Fire George!
Not yet convinced that they can string enough wins together to climb out of the basement. 6 - 4 in the last 10 and they're still 14th in East. I think they may be a .500 team overall going forward, but I don't think they can win enough to leap over many teams.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Millhaus

Without a doubt they are trending upwards. How steep a trajectory is realistic? I don't know but looking at how the Devils improved as their season went no way would I say that this is about as good as they can get.

I guess we will see but if the Caps do get on a roll, even if the hole they dug for themselves to start the season proves too much, I wouldn't necessarily call not getting a top pick a bad thing if it means going into next season as a well oiled machine.

Plus while it would drive some around here nuts there is always going to be a decent chance Nichushkin falls to the Caps if they are in the 10th-14th pick range...

Old
03-03-2013, 12:11 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Without a doubt they are trending upwards. How steep a trajectory is realistic? I don't know but looking at how the Devils improved as their season went no way would I say that this is about as good as they can get.

I guess we will see but if the Caps do get on a roll, even if the hole they dug for themselves to start the season proves too much, I wouldn't necessarily call not getting a top pick a bad thing if it means going into next season as a well oiled machine.

Plus while it would drive some around here nuts there is always going to be a decent chance Nichushkin falls to the Caps if they are in the 10th-14th pick range...
Went looking for it on You Tube but couldn't find it, so I'll just do my best Archie Bunker

More Russians, "AW JEEZ"

Old
03-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Halpysback

Yeah Russians are the problem. Need moar leaderz of menz.

Old
03-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Went looking for it on You Tube but couldn't find it, so I'll just do my best Archie Bunker

More Russians, "AW JEEZ"
BPA regardless of where they are from or what position they play...

Old
03-03-2013, 06:17 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Need to pay whatever to keep ribs for 3 years.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:22 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Yep. Pay the man.

Old
03-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
or trade him. Just dont like him walk for nothing like semin

Old
03-03-2013, 08:06 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettXNA View Post
Again ? You think gmgm has ever been effective at being a gm in the past ?
Of course he has.

Old
03-03-2013, 11:28 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Keith Ballard a healthy scratch for 2 games...

Quite a few have said him and Tanev had been their best defense pair... So maybe a trade?

Left handed shot and hits...

Closed Thread