HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly : The Return [no, not that kind of return :(]; Thread 5

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 01:48 AM
CC96
Serious Offender

vCash: 500
Since apparently Phoenix is one of the teams more interested in ROR and If I'm not mistaken (and I very well could be mistaken), one of the Av's needs is a left handed D-man to play on the top pairing with Erik Johnson. How would you Av's fans feel about a deal with ROR and Keith Yandle as the centerpieces? It would give the Av's a proven star offensive defenseman to play with EJ and it would greatly improve Phoenix's center depth, which we need desperately. Any thoughts Av's fans?

Old
02-16-2013, 01:51 AM
BrickAHL
Sasha Banks GOAT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Coyote 96 View Post
Since apparently Phoenix is one of the teams more interested in ROR and If I'm not mistaken (and I very well could be mistaken), one of the Av's needs is a left handed D-man to play on the top pairing with Erik Johnson. How would you Av's fans feel about a deal with ROR and Keith Yandle as the centerpieces? It would give the Av's a proven star offensive defenseman to play with EJ and it would greatly improve Phoenix's center depth, which we need desperately. Any thoughts Av's fans?
Yup, I'm very interested.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:52 AM
Nzap
#Pogback

Quote:
Oh boy. This has already been discussed to death on these boards. You'll find a whole lot of this in the "in-season proposals" thread.

Basically it comes down to us wanting Yandle+maybe a youngish forward of yours (e.g. Gordon) with us giving O'Reilly ++ something that can't be agreed upon on these boards.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:52 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Lots of thoughts in the sticky thread 'In season Proposals'...

O'Reilly + Sgarbossa (LW/ Primary Center who led the OHL in scoring last season with 102 points, and got selected to the AHL all-star team in his first pro season. Hes had some limited bottom six time in the NHL over the last 5 games or so and has not looked the least bit out of place, but has also not had any sort of offensive help on his wings, so no points.) is the most we would be willing to put up, but would prefer a lesser piece added to O'Reilly.

All in all Yandle is EXACTLY what we need, and I am tired of most of the proposals involving non core level players and severely unproven good but not great prospects.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:53 AM
shadow1

Quote:
To sum up a huge long debate in another thread, it's 50/50. But I think most would be satisfied with the deal as long as the Avalanche didn't pawn away a young defenseman like Tyson Barrie in the trade.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:55 AM
benzino

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
To sum up a huge long debate in another thread, it's 50/50. But I think most would be satisfied with the deal as long as the Avalanche didn't pawn away a young defenseman like Tyson Barrie in the trade.
Phoenix already got Rundblad don't think they are looking for a young right shooting offensive D-man so Barrie should be "safe" for now. Siemens on the other hand you never know with Pierre Lacroix he has never been a big fan of developing young players ...

Old
02-16-2013, 01:56 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Would love a deal like that. Some are concerned about Yandle possibly going to the Bruins when his contract expires but that's not something you have to worry about for another three years. I'm still not sold on Yandle being a #1 defenseman but he would be perfect for this team.

I'm guessing the Avs would need to add.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:56 AM
Sea Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Would love a deal like that. Some are concerned about Yandle possibly going to the Bruins when his contract expires but that's not something you have to worry about for another three years. I'm still not sold on Yandle being a #1 defenseman but he would be perfect for this team.

I'm guessing the Avs would need to add.
I wouldn't mind:
Ryan O'Reilly + Stefan Elliott or Tyson Barrie & maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder for
Keith Yandle + Henrik Samuelsson

Old
02-16-2013, 06:51 AM
Nzap
#Pogback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
I wouldn't mind:
Ryan O'Reilly + Stefan Elliott or Tyson Barrie & maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder for
Keith Yandle + Henrik Samuelsson
I sincerely doubt they'll ad Samuelsson to that deal.
We might get a lesser prospect or a lower pick/4th liner with Yandle.
And besides, they have a plethora of D-men so I assume they'd want more forwards.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:24 AM
TheStranger

I know we don't really want to trade in conference, and they'll probably end up in our division. What if we went after Pavelski with ROR?

Old
02-16-2013, 08:12 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

No doubt a guy like Yandle would help our transition game and a guy like EJ. But it's a bit iffy trading a guy like O'Reilly in-(future)-division and while Yandle has a very good offensive side to his game, he's softer than Liles and not a guy you can use on the PK. He's been sheltered in Phoenix with the most offensive zone stats and easiest quality of competition in even strength.

09-10: 7th in QoC and 1st in offensive zone starts
10-11: 4th in QoC and 1st in offensive zone starts
11-12: 6th in QoC and 1st in offensive zone starts

He's not a #1D. He's not being used like one and I think if you try to use him as one, you'll end up being disappointed. I likened him to a Carle in another thread, but he's been much more sheltered in Phoenix than Carle ever was in Philadelphia. How he's used is pretty much how Avs used Liles.

And I think, with O'Reilly being pretty much the perfect Tippett player, it's the team he is least likely to realize his offensive potential on. I see him more likely to be a 50 point than a 70 point guy if he was traded there. I guess if he hit is off perfectly with Vrbata there might be a few more points there, but O'Reilly isn't a guy that carries weaker wingers offensively or a guy you run a PP through.

I'm not sold on a trade between these two teams being all that good a fit and I see no reason why Avs would have to add if that trade were to happen. When looking at the underlying numbers, I think Cullen is on to something when he says Phoenix have to add.

Just a little bit of devils advocating.

Last edited by Freudian: 02-16-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old
02-16-2013, 08:35 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
No doubt a guy like Yandle would help our transition game and a guy like EJ. But it's a bit iffy trading a guy like O'Reilly in-(future)-division and while Yandle has a very good offensive side to his game, he's softer than Liles and not a guy you can use on the PK. He's been sheltered in Phoenix with the most offensive zone stats and easiest quality of competition in even strength.

09-10: 7th in QoC and 1st in offensive zone starts
10-11: 4th in QoC and 1st in offensive zone starts
11-12: 6th in QoC and 1st in offensive zone starts

He's not a #1D. He's not being used like one and I think if you try to use him as one, you'll end up being disappointed. I likened him to a Carle in another thread, but he's been much more sheltered in Phoenix than Carle ever was in Philadelphia. How he's used is pretty much how Avs used Liles.

And I think, with O'Reilly being pretty much the perfect Tippett player, it's the team he is least likely to realize his offensive potential on. I see him more likely to be a 50 point than a 70 point guy if he was traded there. I guess if he hit is off perfectly with Vrbata there might be a few more points there, but O'Reilly isn't a guy that carries weaker wingers offensively or a guy you run a PP through.

I'm not sold on a trade between these two teams being all that good a fit and I see no reason why Avs would have to add if that trade were to happen. When looking at the underlying numbers, I think Cullen is on to something when he says Phoenix have to add.

Just a little bit of devils advocating.
Great post as usual Freudian.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
I hope he gets traded to calgary. I'd love to see the duchene vs O'Reilly battles 6 times a year.
Personally I don't see anything interesting in Calgary's roster and we always lose in trades with Calgary. So no!

Old
02-16-2013, 08:43 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

I'm not saying Yandle is a terrible idea. We've had something missing here that we haven't had since Liles played really well. Hopefully Barrie will show some ability to fill a little bit of it going forward, especially on PP.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:44 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Yandle is desperately what we need. That would be awesome. #2 defenseman.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:45 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I'm not saying Yandle is a terrible idea. We've had something missing here that we haven't had since Liles played really well. Hopefully Barrie will show some ability to fill a little bit of it going forward, especially on PP.
Barrie looks great. He might even have more potential than Liles. At least Barrie is shooting the puck as well.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:58 AM
chet1926

I really hope that if we are going to trade him it gets done soon and doesn't drag out until the trade deadline or summer. Management has to know that this is a big time distraction to the guys that are actually out their working their butts off every night. And its really not fair to them to keep stringing them along. You have to know the players are either wanting ROR to walk through the doors and help them out or they want him traded so they can get some other players to help them out. The last thing they want is this in limbo BS.

Its a big time distraction no matter what. In needs to get resolved sooner than later. If so many teams have called and inquired about his services, I'm willing to bet that at least a couple of them have laid a pretty good foundation of a deal. The Avs don't need to rush but they do need to come to a resolution sooner than later for the sake of the team.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Barrie looks great. He might even have more potential than Liles. At least Barrie is shooting the puck as well.
I'd say Barrie Definitely has more potential then Liles. I see him as being just as good as Liles offensively, but being stronger on the puck then Liles and not as easily pushed around. I think Barrie still has #2/3 Potential, and with the way he's played the last couple of games, I don't think its unreasonable expectations in the least.

As someone else mentioned on the Avs board yesterday, I feel like Sgarbossa and Barrie should be on our untouchables right now until we see more of them in the NHL, they've both started to look really good for us, and I wouldn't want to be moving a potential star player in any deal.

Yandle was once just like Barrie as an unkown guy entering the league as a mid round pick, now he's one of the best Offensive Dmen in the game. I wouldn't want to be moving Oreilly + Barrie for Yandle when Barrie could still turn into another Yandle, would be a real bad trade.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I really hope that if we are going to trade him it gets done soon and doesn't drag out until the trade deadline or summer. Management has to know that this is a big time distraction to the guys that are actually out their working their butts off every night. And its really not fair to them to keep stringing them along. You have to know the players are either wanting ROR to walk through the doors and help them out or they want him traded so they can get some other players to help them out. The last thing they want is this in limbo BS.

Its a big time distraction no matter what. In needs to get resolved sooner than later. If so many teams have called and inquired about his services, I'm willing to bet that at least a couple of them have laid a pretty good foundation of a deal. The Avs don't need to rush but they do need to come to a resolution sooner than later for the sake of the team.
I couldn't agree more. I'm already scrolling through the news every day in order to see what we got in return, at the same time being sad and excited.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
I'd say Barrie Definitely has more potential then Liles. I see him as being just as good as Liles offensively, but being stronger on the puck then Liles and not as easily pushed around. I think Barrie still has #2/3 Potential, and with the way he's played the last couple of games, I don't think its unreasonable expectations in the least.
This is how I feel too. Barrie should be kept. Sharbossa will be NHL player as well, but maybe not yet this year, but next. He's got the smarts for NHL.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:16 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I'm going to laugh so hard if ROR re-signs with the Avs for a reasonable price, and it gets leaked that plenty of teams were interested...then they talked to his agent and said "screw it, not worth the headache".

Old
02-16-2013, 10:17 AM
volaju
coffee to DUI for

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
I'm going to laugh so hard if ROR re-signs with the Avs for a reasonable price, and it gets leaked that plenty of teams were interested...then they talked to his agent and said "screw it, not worth the headache".
Don't hold your breath.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:20 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Quote:
Originally Posted by volaju View Post
Don't hold your breath.
I won't, I just get the feeling that other GM's are going to be laughing at his current contract demands as well. Of course, I also believe that he is just making those demands to the Avs because he wants to be traded.

I just genuinely think that the people around Radar are feeding him bad advice. Instead of trying to smooth things over they seem to be pumping his tires and getting him riled up.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Bubba Thudd
Random Stranger

vCash: 5891
I've asked this before, but didn't get replies...

If ROR were to fire his agency, do you think they could start anew, with both parties able to save face?

Old
02-16-2013, 10:26 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
I've asked this before, but didn't get replies...

If ROR were to fire his agency, do you think they could start anew, with both parties able to save face?
I think so, wouldn't be the first time in hockey history where a player fires his agent and gets a deal done. Let's all hope that happens...or Sherman pulls another Winnik trade where we are laughing at the return (in a good way)

Closed Thread