HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Reilly : The Return [no, not that kind of return :(]; Thread 5

Closed Thread

Old
02-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

vCash: 50
What makes me worry is that if daddy has an influence, O'Reilly's salary demands on a new team could be very high, which makes him harder to move.

I've suspected up to now that he might take a lower salary elsewhere because he was trying to force his way out, but after reading that I'm not sure. The O'Reilly's might actually think he is worth $5M/year and if he doesn't get that it's an attack on his 'character'.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 6908
I've been on the Avs side of this since we got the details, and have been frustrated with O'Reilly holding out and confounded by what exactly he wants or thinks he deserves. But that never translated into me disliking him or wanting him gone (though that was a foregone conclusion after he signed in Russia).

After reading that letter from his dad, however.... I've disliked that guy since we first started seeing his tweets filled with all that inane "life coach" babble. But this latest, with it being a bit more targeted, takes that dislike and starts to rub off on his son. I'm not sure I want a guy on the team who is taking advice from some jerknut like that. That it is his pops just makes it worse. There's just a lot of bad mojo there. Or, to put it in terms Mr. O'Reilly can understand, it "devalues the synergy potential, resulting in mood-drama and core approach failure."

Old
02-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
But will it really expedite a trade? Or will other teams' GMs look at it and stay far away, and thus have an opposite effect?

I wonder if Sherman has called Bobby Clarke, to see how he dealt with Lindros' parents.
That's what I mean...trade him fast or I'll keep doing this and you'll get less on the return, kind of thing. I'm not saying it's smart.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:48 PM
foppagirl21

vCash: 500
That letter from Ryan's dad made my head hurt.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:49 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
I've been on the Avs side of this since we got the details, and have been frustrated with O'Reilly holding out and confounded by what exactly he wants or thinks he deserves. But that never translated into me disliking him or wanting him gone (though that was a foregone conclusion after he signed in Russia).

After reading that letter from his dad, however.... I've disliked that guy since we first started seeing his tweets filled with all that inane "life coach" babble. But this latest, with it being a bit more targeted, takes that dislike and starts to rub off on his son. I'm not sure I want a guy on the team who is taking advice from some jerknut like that. That it is his pops just makes it worse. There's just a lot of bad mojo there. Or, to put it in terms Mr. O'Reilly can understand, it "devalues the synergy potential, resulting in mood-drama and core approach failure."

That is hilarious.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:49 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
That letter from Ryan's dad made my head hurt.
It looks like he wrote it on an iPhone.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:59 PM
El_Loco_Avs

Is baba oreilly really referring to the Anderson that played like **** when he was unhappy here as a real winner?

Old
02-19-2013, 06:01 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Quote:

LOL.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:08 PM
GOAT

After reading through the comments I found a guy stating that Brian O'reilly has a learning disability. Is this true? I have never heard of this before. Might explain some things.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18007 View Post
After reading through the comments I found a guy stating that Brian O'reilly has a learning disability. Is this true? I have never heard of this before. Might explain some things.
Might explain the grammar and sentence structure but the content is still going to be the same. He's bat **** crazy.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:10 PM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Might explain the grammar and sentence structure but the content is still going to be the same. He's bat **** crazy.
true.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:13 PM
Jeff_Dyck_#1
Est. MMII

Old
02-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 6908
A couple O'Reilly threads back there was something about his disability, but it's never been explained. I'd guess maybe dyslexia, but then why not just say, "He has dyslexia"? Keeping it vague with "learning disability" leads one to imagine all sorts of things. Like the "learning disability" I get every couple of weeks and which, once or twice a year, leads to a warning on HFBoards. But, hey, it's not our business to know if he doesn't want to tell us. More gratifying to guess, anyway.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:20 PM
Ceremony
SKYLERWHITEBESTWHITE

I'm sure I read somewhere recently he has problem writing and has to get people to transcribe stuff for him some times.

Of course, syntax and such aside, it's fairly obvious that he's nuts. And wrong, regarding his son.

(ps I LOL'd hard at calling him Baba O'Reilly)

02-19-2013, 06:21 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
A couple O'Reilly threads back there was something about his disability, but it's never been explained. I'd guess maybe dyslexia, but then why not just say, "He has dyslexia"? Keeping it vague with "learning disability" leads one to imagine all sorts of things. Like the "learning disability" I get every couple of weeks and which, once or twice a year, leads to a warning on HFBoards. But, hey, it's not our business to know if he doesn't want to tell us. More gratifying to guess, anyway.
Hey! I've got one of those too!!

Old
02-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Yikes. That was tough to read. Really tough. And the Post said they corrected a lot of the mistakes? Jesus. If you're gonna let that go public, Christ's sake, at least use the grammar check!

While Brian O'Reilly is 100% correct in blasting the Avs for not engaging in actual negotiations (an arrogant, ridiculous thing for a front office run by a former agent to be doing), he does his son no favors here. You do not measure character in $ signs. In fact that is the antithesis of "character."

I don't think it's as cut-and-dried as Craig Anderson "quitting" on the team. It sure seems that way seeing as how he suddenly started playing better for the Sens, but keep in mind he was still recovering from an injury and played in front of a much better defense and for an arguably better coach. Whatever the case, I'm still not sad that Andy is gone. He served his purpose, and the Avs now have a younger, arguably better netminder.

I still think the Avs' hubris is most at fault here, but Ryan is getting some very, very bad advice from his old man, which is ironic since his hippie life coach ******** actually worked for both him and Duchene, apparently. This is so similar to the situations of Eric Lindros and Barry Zito--and both of those guys were better off when they stopped listening to their parents so much and made their own decisions.

The Avs need to grow up, but so does O'Reilly.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
(ps I LOL'd hard at calling him Baba O'Reilly)
I don't get it?

I get that we don't agree with O'Rielly's dad but IMO calling him crazy is not fair. He's allowed to voice his opinion, even if you think it's nonsense.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:32 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
I don't get it?

I get that we don't agree with O'Rielly's dad but IMO calling him crazy is not fair. He's allowed to voice his opinion, even if you think it's nonsense.
Ugh for some reason I can't get it to work right now... but The Who's song Baba O'Riley

Old
02-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Freudian
Slightly overpaid

I have no doubt that his father has a lot of great qualities (social worker, foster parent, have instilled work ethic in his kids). But pretty much everything we learn about the O'Reilly camp in this negotiation makes them come off as unreasonable and easily offended.

I have no doubt that Avs are stubborn in all of this because they can't allow a kid to punk them or re-write their contracting philosophy. They expected the kid to come to his senses because let's face it, who could have thought anyone would be this stubborn and proud, but it should be clear at this point that he never will.

Hopefully this all will be over sooner rather than later.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:33 PM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

And apparently his son is unselfish so why isn't he on the team helping them win games?

Yeah he is unselfish but then ask for a contract that will screw the franchise in future negotiations with other players. Right good one.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
I don't get it?

Read his tweets. Claiming schizophrenics are merely the way they are because they aren't loved enough by family members is at best uninformed, at worst a crazy, unfounded, and outright dangerous supposition to make.

So yeah, I think the guy's a freakin' loon. I'm allowed to voice my opinion on the guy, and he lends plenty of credence to it.

If it is indeed dyslexia, that would help explain his irrational hate of psychiatrists. Tom Cruise is also dyslexic and grew to hate them as well.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Ceremony
SKYLERWHITEBESTWHITE

Quote:
I don't get it?

Reference to the Who song of the same name. I just found it funny, out of all the various names I've seen for him.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Thepoolmaster

If O'Reilly was Russian would this be such a huge topic, or would we just chalk this up to him having no heart and being selfish. The media, like CBC on Saturday night, would be all over him for being a team cancer, bad at hockey, lazy and like Alex Semin.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Appleanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepoolmaster View Post
If O'Reilly was Russian would this be such a huge topic, or would we just chalk this up to him having no heart and being selfish. The media, like CBC on Saturday night, would be all over him for being a team cancer, bad at hockey, lazy and like Alex Semin.
You're probably right, if he was Russian they'd be all over him.

By the way, Ceremony.. love the Donna avatar.

Old
02-19-2013, 06:41 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
If it is indeed dyslexia, that would help explain his irrational hate of psychiatrists. Tom Cruise is also dyslexic and grew to hate them as well.
I'm dyslexic and I don't hate psychiatrists.

Closed Thread