HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds are never mentioned!

Old
02-14-2013, 12:04 PM
weeze

vCash: 500
Preds are never mentioned!

Why is it when there are possible trades for top 6 players being mentioned, the Preds are almost never mentioned! I am reading that there are some players being possibly available (Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, O'Reilly, Kessel, Iginla, Weiss, and even Setoguchi just to name a few). We need/have to have some scoring! Rinne said it best "It's tough to win when you don't score!" and he is playing out of his mind right now! It can't last for every game.

We are going to have to give up someone to get a top 6 scorer! With Horny out, we have no one willing to go to the front of the net and cause confusion like he does! We may be able to slide by for now but come April and we need a scorer because we play Chicago 4 times in about 2 weeks, and throw in a game against the Blues and Nucks. Get someone NOW!

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:54 PM
preds1

vCash: 50
I hear what you're saying and agree to a point.

But I think our current problem relates more to mechanics and execution.
We can't transition, period. I've seen more turnovers and icing calls this year than I can remember.
If we do make center ice the puck is dumped in, retreived by their D, and brought back up into our zone.
This more than often leads to periods of us only having 2-3 shots on net because of our short time spent in the offensive zone.

Yes, goal scorers are good and I'd love to upgrade the offense.
But fix the above and you'll see more goals out of our current line-up like we did last year.
(imo of-course)

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:04 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

One other thing to consider is that you have to give to get. In order to get Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, O'Reilly, etc..., we would have to completely gut this team. As much as we all use him in proposals, Blum isn't going to net us those caliber players.

Overall, I'm not sure how it would help the team long term.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

I'd rather try to sign someone in the offseason then to load up in this crapshoot of a season.

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:28 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Cause poile plays it to safe. He loves trading picks instead of players.

He needs to take a risk...

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Because rumor mongers mention teams with big fanbases to maximize the hits on their websites?

The Preds are rarely involved in rumors, just because they don't get much national attention. Doesn't mean we aren't in on the player.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:38 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Nashville does not equal ratings

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Cause poile plays it to safe. He loves trading picks instead of players.

He needs to take a risk...

Exactly what players does Poile have that other teams would want for a top 6 forward???? I'll help you Rinne or Weber thats all the trade bait the team has for consideration for a top player. Your just not going to package Leggy, Fish and a pick to get a top 6 guy.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:44 PM
SilasAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Exactly what players does Poile have that other teams would want for a top 6 forward???? I'll help you Rinne or Weber thats all the trade bait the team has for consideration for a top player. Your just not going to package Leggy, Fish and a pick to get a top 6 guy.
Blum, Ellis, Smith, Hornqvist, Kostitsyn, Josi, Ekholm, Watson, Latta, Beck, Aberg, Hellberg... Dont try and tell me we dont have parts.

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Roman Reigns
Sierra Hotel India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingintheNorth View Post
Blum, Ellis, Smith, Hornqvist, Kostitsyn, Josi, Ekholm, Watson, Latta, Beck, Aberg, Hellberg... Dont try and tell me we dont have parts.
We have the parts but we aren't going to give up all of them to aquire a rental player.

I'd love if the Ducks would take Latta and Watson for Perry but it's not going to happen.

Blum, Ellis, and Josi only one would be moved and I highly doubt any of them go.

You can't get in the cycle of trading your young players and picks every year, it's a deep rut that's hard to get out of without going through a long losing period. With a long losing period, we lose the team.

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:48 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingintheNorth View Post
Beat me to it
Even Wilson. But **** trading Wilson

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:05 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Wait... why would the Ducks trade away any of their good players?

Also, as others have mentioned, the key to being a "successful" rumor monger isn't actually having sources. It's mentioning enough teams with large fan bases to get a lot of hits on a website or, more recently, Twitter.

02-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Byrddog

You guys are way over valueing the parts we do have. Wilsom has the potential to be a top 6 guy. Look at Smiths entire body of work he is at best a rd liner if he is on another team and out odf the funk hes in now. Hornqvist can play 2nd line. Preds are not going to move him. Kostitsyn is just frustrating hes streaky and there is a reason he is here he was a problem child when we signed him, not sure what value another team would put on him.

None of the young guys in the system would bring a top 6 guy in that had time left on a contract. Rentals are not the answer. Established players see little to make them want to play here at this point. Yes the team makes the playoffs but have yet to be a threat for the Cup. The best longterm forward ever signed was Karyia who was damaged good coming off knee surgery and looking for a team to take a chance on him. Then consider the softes bigman in the game Arnott a second liner in Dallas who wanted to be a first liner, He came he had a good year three good years with 33 goals in 08-09 he only had 57 total points due to the players on the line with him. A first line guy with 33 goals would be expected to be close to 70 points. Thats the history of long term top 6 players that have signed with the team.

With Gill and Hannan ready to hit the retirment pasture soon none of the d prospects with names other than Blum would be considered for trade So my prediction is the team makes no movesto make the team better ubtikl the deadline and will sell off Gill and Hannan for picks. In the offseason Poile will make some offers but will land none of the big impact players. The team gos into next season much the same as they are now.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Because rumor mongers mention teams with big fanbases to maximize the hits on their websites?

The Preds are rarely involved in rumors, just because they don't get much national attention. Doesn't mean we aren't in on the player.
This is this answer right here. 99% of rumor mongers out there are phonies who make stuff up for hits. Bigger market = more hits.

Even when the Preds do make a trade, there were rarely ever rumors out there before it happened.

In summary, stop following those bs rumor sites.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:28 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
I'd rather try to sign someone in the offseason then to load up in this crapshoot of a season.
This x eleventy billion.

It's tough to watch our offense right now....scratch that....it's tough to watch our TEAM (minus Rinne/Mason) right now. We're struggling at nearly every point on ice (sure, there are bright spots and flashes -- but very little consistency). While I don't LIKE it, I also think it would be foolish for us to make a real splash trade THIS season.

We're still in the hunt. Peks, after the first few games, has looked pretty amazing. He's pretty much the reason why we are where we are. But I don't think the rest of the team is enough "there" in order to make a SC run. Making one move...even a big one, probably isn't going to put us over the top. It might shore things up a bit, but it won't solve it.

I'm not saying just to write off the season or make NO trades...but only ones that make good sense. I think the summer...with this big draft coming up...will be the time to move. This year...with the shortened season...no camp...might as well be a rebuilding year for us (even if we end up in good PO position).

Typically Poile doesn't do anything to "wow" anybody, but he's made at least some decent moves in the past. He's conservative in his approach, which I know bugs many...but I think he realizes that his job will be gone if he gambles huge and leaves the team in shambles (either financially or talent-wise). Poile's system, like it or not, has proved to be very reliable, consistent, and cost effective...especially in comparison to some of the compulsive spenders out there.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

I was just commenting over on the Coyote thread about what a great coach you have. That said, I'm not sure why Pred fans would be all that concerned about trading for marquee players...I mean how much did the Forsberg, Tkachuk, Zhitnik trades really do for you? I would imagine in hindsight you'd rather have your prospects/picks back.

Much like the Coyotes it seems like it's the 2nd tier type of trades which have more favorable impacts on a Barry Trotz coached team.

I'm curious if much like the Coyotes, your opponents fans on this site regularly talk about how they should have beaten the Preds after a loss, and always talk about how poorly their team played, without ever considering their team looked that way because of how well the Preds played.

Consider me a fan of the Preds and a supporter of their fanbase.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
I was just commenting over on the Coyote thread about what a great coach you have. That said, I'm not sure why Pred fans would be all that concerned about trading for marquee players...I mean how much did the Forsberg, Tkachuk, Zhitnik trades really do for you? I would imagine in hindsight you'd rather have your prospects/picks back.

Much like the Coyotes it seems like it's the 2nd tier type of trades which have more favorable impacts on a Barry Trotz coached team.

I'm curious if much like the Coyotes, your opponents fans on this site regularly talk about how they should have beaten the Preds after a loss, and always talk about how poorly their team played, without ever considering their team looked that way because of how well the Preds played.

Consider me a fan of the Preds and a supporter of their fanbase.
Fully agree with what you are saying, though we never traded for Tkachuk or Zhitnik. That was Atlanta

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Fully agree with what you are saying, though we never traded for Tkachuk or Zhitnik. That was Atlanta
DOH!

Sorry for any unintended insult from my stupidity.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 07:33 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Nevermind

Last edited by BourqueBourqueBork: 02-14-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: wrong thread
BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Firestorm

Basically we want nice stuff, we're just too cheap to pay for it (in dollars or trading).

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
You'd think back to back shutouts by Rinne would at least make the sidebar on the NHL page at ESPN.com.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:58 PM
hockey diva

The other half of the equation in getting top talent is guys actually wanting to come here. Unfortunately, we are a small market. We can't offer the endorsements and limelight a lot of these guys particularly Canadian guys crave. We were in on Kessel but Kessel wanted to play in a big hockey market. And he got it in Toronto. Though I think his personality would have fit us better. We need to draft better forwards. True goal scorers. We won't be landing a big name any time soon.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 01:01 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I wouldn't do anything drastic on this throwaway season. Wait til this draft and offseason. Could be very exciting.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 03:24 AM
oreilly22

Proof of NHL's apathy about Preds lol

http://video.predators.nhl.com/video...id=DL|NSH|home

hint: something seems wrong with those stats!

oreilly22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:23 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
Proof of NHL's apathy about Preds lol

http://video.predators.nhl.com/video...id=DL|NSH|home

hint: something seems wrong with those stats!
They apparently put the video from Valentines day 2012 in which they did beat Chicago 3-2

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote