HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trade Rumor Thread III: "Trade 40 goal scorer for picks= Cup contenders" edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-16-2013, 09:22 PM
  #226
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Very true and that has to be looked at. That's why a defenseman has to be coming back capable of playing significant minutes.
Their defense is a joke, I don't want anyone on their blue line.

GregSirico is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:22 PM
  #227
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
No he would not. I know Richards is off to a poor start but he's not better than Richards, let's be real.
As an all around player, O'Reilly would most certainly be our best center.

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:23 PM
  #228
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
The reason this is appealing is not that folks want to get rid of MDZ, but rather because MDZ is not a good fit for the Rangers. His value increases dramatically when he plays the left side, but there are precious few minutes there with Staal and McD.

Furthermore, his PMD skills aren't that much better than either Staal's or McD's. If he was actually Brian Leetch on the point, it would be a different story, but unfortunately his best value comes on the rush, NOT once the team is set up in the zone. And both of those players are also fully capable of moving the puck up on the rush. In fact, I think if MDZ were to leave and Torts were to put McD in his place, we'd see Ryan approach his point totals. The only skill that MDZ has where he is head and shoulders above the other two is the stretch pass.

If you can get ROR for him - and get a right handed defenseman with offensive talent back - it's got to be looked at. The issues I have are a) ROR's contract demands and b) the fact that this team has had so much turnover and just needs time to gel.
Well said. This is exactly it.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:23 PM
  #229
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Suggested it would take Del Zotto. I'd do that trade without hesitation. Del Zotto is going to command a ton on his next contract.

McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Stralman is a fine top four. Its a lot easier to find cheap 3rd pair players as stop gaps until Skjei/McIlrath/Noreau are ready. McDonagh, Staal, and Girardi are far more important to this club then Del Zotto is, IMO.

O'Reilly would be a great addition. O'Reilly, Stepan, Miller, Lindberg is very good depth down the middle.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:24 PM
  #230
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
thats exactly what this trade does.

Center with Richards being benched is the weakest part of this team.

Stepan is a very good #2.

Then they have what else? Boyle who should be a 4th liner, Miller who probably will get sent back down to minors, and then Halpern and Powe?

On defense they have 3 all-stars, Stralman has been a very solid player lately. And this trade would get another defenseman in return, probably a right handed guy with a shot and some ability to move the puck.
Yes bench Richards .... this makes perfect sense.

GregSirico is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:24 PM
  #231
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,867
vCash: 500
Its honestly pretty crazy, as Ranger fans we either severely underrated or overate our players. Remember when many were against getting Nash? I honestly think we should just pick up another defensemen at the moment. It doesnt seem like ROR is going anywhere anytime soon, so why the rush to make a trade for him now?

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:25 PM
  #232
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Yes bench Richards .... this makes perfect sense.
No, Im saying Richards already has been getting benched because of his play.

If they had ROR, would be great timing to buy out Richards at the end of the year, with a lot of the RFAs coming up.

slipknottin is online now  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:25 PM
  #233
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Suggested it would take Del Zotto. I'd do that trade without hesitation. Del Zotto is going to command a ton on his next contract.

McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Stralman is a fine top four. Its a lot easier to find cheap 3rd pair players as stop gaps until Skjei/McIlrath are ready.

O'Reilly would be a great addition. O'Reilly, Stepan, Miller, Lindberg is very good depth down the middle.
where is Richards, you know our #1 center?

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:25 PM
  #234
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
Me either. I'd trade Stepan for ROR straight up, which might make sense considering ROR isn't signed to a contract.
Now Stepan (who I like) for ROR does make sense.

GregSirico is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:25 PM
  #235
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Their defense is a joke, I don't want anyone on their blue line.
Johnson would be the perfect final piece for the Rangers top 4. Great skater. Positionally sound. Hard shot. Big guy. RD.

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:26 PM
  #236
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
No, Im saying Richards already has been getting benched because of his play.
and if that continues we are in trouble. regardless if we get ROR or not, we need Richards if we are going to be a SC contender.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:26 PM
  #237
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
The reason this is appealing is not that folks want to get rid of MDZ, but rather because MDZ is not a good fit for the Rangers. His value increases dramatically when he plays the left side, but there are precious few minutes there with Staal and McD.

Furthermore, his PMD skills aren't that much better than either Staal's or McD's. If he was actually Brian Leetch on the point, it would be a different story, but unfortunately his best value comes on the rush, NOT once the team is set up in the zone. And both of those players are also fully capable of moving the puck up on the rush. In fact, I think if MDZ were to leave and Torts were to put McD in his place, we'd see Ryan approach his point totals. The only skill that MDZ has where he is head and shoulders above the other two is the stretch pass.

If you can get ROR for him - and get a right handed defenseman with offensive talent back - it's got to be looked at. The issues I have are a) ROR's contract demands and b) the fact that this team has had so much turnover and just needs time to gel.
Very well said.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:26 PM
  #238
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Nope, not on this Rangers team. If they had another D man that could fill in the top 4 spot and be effective offensively ... then it's a no brainer. But trades are not always good based on player A > player B. This trade would not be good for a team lacking chemistry as is ... especially offensively.
You make a good point above. Tough call but I would love to get ROR!

Drewbackatu* is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:26 PM
  #239
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Now Stepan (who I like) for ROR does make sense.
they want a offensive defenseman or a proven forward.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:27 PM
  #240
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
and if that continues we are in trouble. regardless if we get ROR or not, we need Richards if we are going to be a SC contender.

They would be a heck of a lot more competitive with ROR if Richards keeps struggling.

And the idea that a 32 (33 in a couple months) center with multiple concussions and never a great skater to begin with is going to be a stud for us for the next couple years is not all that realistic.

slipknottin is online now  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:27 PM
  #241
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
You make a good point above. Tough call but I would love to get ROR!
I want him too ... but the deal has to MAKE SENSE.

GregSirico is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:27 PM
  #242
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,867
vCash: 500
IMO, I believe Stralman could be part of our top 4, but then there is the issue of having no offensive defensemen.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:28 PM
  #243
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
they want a offensive defenseman or a proven forward.
Then there is no deal to be made ... they might not be good trading partners. It's that simple.

GregSirico is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:29 PM
  #244
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss
 
Glen Teflon Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bloomfield, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,841
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Johnson would be the perfect final piece for the Rangers top 4. Great skater. Positionally sound. Hard shot. Big guy. RD.
Only thing is his cap hit is 3.75 till 2016, if you get EJ and ROR you can definitely kiss Gabby goodbye over the summer

Glen Teflon Sather is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:29 PM
  #245
Lundsanity30
Registered User
 
Lundsanity30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,867
vCash: 500
Buzz: The Avs Asked For Michael Del Zotto For Ryan O’Reilly
February 16th, 2013 9:22 pm

9:50PM: Friedman’s exact words on Hot Stove Tonight were:

I believe that this week the Avalanche and the New York Rangers went down the road to see what a deal would look like. They talked about Ryan O’Reilly and one of Colorado’s defensemen for a package that I believe would have included Michael Del Zotto, a player that the Avalanche really like. As Colorado started asking for more and more the Rangers pulled back and said ‘no.’ So that is off right now.

Glenn Healy says that the Avs are looking for a “Kings Ransom,” two players, a prospect and a high draft pick. He adds that they aren’t going to get that and instead teams may start putting offer sheets out to him.

Friedman says that some people believe O’Reilly is a number one center and Healy says that if that draft was done over again, John Tavares would go first and that O’Reilly would go second.

9:22PM: According to Elliotte Friedman, the Colorado Avalanche asked for Michael Del Zotto as a center piece for Ryan O’Reilly.

Friedman says that the Avs also asked for more.

Adrian Dater says that Colorado isn’t looking for a center, but instead an offensive defenseman plus a proven forward and a pick.

Lundsanity30 is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:29 PM
  #246
Krams
Carpe dizzem
 
Krams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Selkirk, NY
Posts: 3,336
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
they want a offensive defenseman or a proven forward.
Stepan is a proven forward.

The Avs aren't necessarily in the driver's seat, here. They can either sit on an unsigned ROR or they can move him for what they get.

Krams is online now  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:30 PM
  #247
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Some of you guys are just SO HUNGRY to make a deal for the sake of making one. Just leave the team be and let them develop ... heck even if this year doesn't work out, it wouldn't be the worst thing to let the team come into a real camp next year, learn, gel, get conditioned, etc. Too much turn over on a team is a HORRIBLE thing.

GregSirico is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:30 PM
  #248
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
SnowblindNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Johnson would be the perfect final piece for the Rangers top 4. Great skater. Positionally sound. Hard shot. Big guy. RD.
Do you really think they'd give us ROR and Johnson their only good defenseman?

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:30 PM
  #249
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
IMO, I believe Stralman could be part of our top 4, but then there is the issue of having no offensive defensemen.
Try to sign Streit or Visnovsky or someone like that in the offseason.

Staal and McDonagh can play the PP. Stralman can as well. Stepan and Richards can and have played the point on the PP

NYR Viper is offline  
Old
02-16-2013, 09:31 PM
  #250
Krams
Carpe dizzem
 
Krams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Selkirk, NY
Posts: 3,336
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Glenn Healy says that the Avs are looking for a “Kings Ransom,” two players, a prospect and a high draft pick. He adds that they aren’t going to get that and instead teams may start putting offer sheets out to him.
They certainly aren't going to get that.

Krams is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.