HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do they stay or do they go?

Old
02-18-2013, 07:59 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 500
Do they stay or do they go?

Craig Anderson
Sergei Gonchar
Ben Bishop
Daniel Alfredsson

These would be our only real assets to this point that could set us up with possibly some really good pick/prospects. I can't really see Murray going out and trying to and any short term fixes so we can have a better chance of making the playoffs. Seeing as this year has a very deep draft does it make sense to keep or trade the players above?

Anderson would give us by far the best return but I'm not sure that Lehner is ready for the work load of being the #1 guy in nets.

I could see Vancouver looking at Alfredsson for a playoff run and then we resign him to a 1 year 7 million dollar contract as a thank you for all that you've done. The way it stands now next season we will need to get to the cap floor so giving alfie a good contract seems fair.

Ben Bishop hasn't really been able to showcase himself and would probably get us 2nd-3rd round pick though he is probably worth a lot more.

Can't really see Gonchar being resigned so he will go to the highest bidder.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:05 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Alfredsson's there but not Phillips and Neil?

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:07 AM
KA BLAMO

Keep Alfie and Anderson.

Move Bishop.

And if we're out of the playoff picture by the deadline, which I assume we will be, move Gonchar.

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Neil just signed an extension. Not getting traded.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:40 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

Craig Anderson - Murray has already stated he isn't moving Andy. Nor would I want him to.

Sergei Gonchar - could be moved at the deadline if we start free-falling. He takes a lot of flack around here, however I still wouldn't mind keeping him around for one more season.

Ben Bishop - the most likely of the four to be moved IMO. Could be dangled at the deadline to a team looking to shore up their goaltending for the playoffs.

Daniel Alfredsson - obviously we all hope he stays for another season. If he decides that this is his last year though and informs the team of his choice, the ball will be in his court as to whether or not he wants one last chance at the Cup.

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:41 AM
dpw

Gonchar and Bishop for sure. Maybe Philips.

Sign Alfredsson to a 1 year 7 M? That would be nuts.

dpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:50 AM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

All of them can be traded. Moved for picks.

If Alfie wants to go to a contender give him the chance to win a cup... I would let him.

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:52 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Remember when Phillips was in his last year of his contract and everyone thought how good it would be if we traded him and then resigned him in the off season? He was pretty clear he didn't want to do that and Murray said he never even thought of asking him.

Really I don't think Phillips would bring back equal value at this point.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Legend Killer

Ya you dont give Alfie a 1yr-7M Thank You... He has been well paid his whole career... And he will have a job with the Sens as long as he wants one... But a 7M thank you? Are you nuts?

Old
02-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw View Post
Gonchar and Bishop for sure. Maybe Philips.

Sign Alfredsson to a 1 year 7 M? That would be nuts.
Alfredsson had his contract structured to help the organization and at the time he signed probably didn't think he would have played this long. He was always the most important player for our team but was mostly not paid as such. On a healthy team he would have still been one of our top players and only being paid 1 million.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer View Post
Ya you dont give Alfie a 1yr-7M Thank You... He has been well paid his whole career... And he will have a job with the Sens as long as he wants one... But a 7M thank you? Are you nuts?
We have the third lowest payroll in the league. Gonchar will most likely not be here next season. Alfie is worth his cap hit to us. It would just being paying him fairly for his services for this season and next. 2 years 8 million for a guy coming off a 27 goal, 32 assist season. We need to spend money next season so why not give it to someone who has been the cornerstone of your company's success?

Old
02-18-2013, 09:06 AM
BK201

Phillips wasn't Traded because of a NMC and didn't want to go. I'm pretty sure he still has one and would retire before playing for another team.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:09 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
I remember he signed below market value to stay with us when the Bobby Holiks of the world were signing for 10 million dollars.

If he was not so loyal he could have walked a decade ago for 8-9 million dollars a season

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKarlsson View Post
All of them can be traded. Moved for picks.
Do you remember that this team pushed the #1 seed NYR to Game 7 last spring? We wouldnt have all of these ridiculous ideas/threads had this organization not been hit HEAVILY by the injury bug. Gonchar has a NTC, so just dumping him wherever for picks isnt really an option. We'll have to wait and see where both Ottawa and Pittsburgh sit in the standings come the deadline. I could see him maybe even resigning here for one more year. As for Bishop, play him the 8 games he needs to remain a RFA and see what happens. As for Anderson and Alfredsson being dumped for picks, I'd want significant pieces coming back with those picks. Dont think either will be moved, very unlikely in my opinion. This wont be the kind of dump/trade deadline as a few years ago. This team, if healthy, had a legit chance at a solid seeding in the East.

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:27 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohhh Franco View Post
Gonchar has a NTC, so just dumping him wherever for picks isnt really an option.
For accuracy's sake, he no longer has a full NMC. As of Jan 1st of his final contract year (which happens to be this year), Gonchar must submit a list of 10 teams he can be traded to, if asked.

Murray has, if he wants, 10 teams he can move Gonchar to without needing Gonch to waive his NMC.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
I remember he signed below market value to stay with us when the Bobby Holiks of the world were signing for 10 million dollars.

If he was not so loyal he could have walked a decade ago for 8-9 million dollars a season
I understand that... But then do you do the same with Phillips? Neil? Etc?

Give him 3-4M... Not 7... Thats insane

Old
02-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Ohhh Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
For accuracy's sake, he no longer has a full NMC. As of Jan 1st of his final contract year (which happens to be this year), Gonchar must submit a list of 10 teams he can be traded to, if asked.

Murray has, if he wants, 10 teams he can move Gonchar to without needing Gonch to waive his NMC.
Interesting. I just saw that on Capgeek. That could make moving him a bit more likely, but I dont think it's a forgone conclusion.

Ohhh Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:37 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:

I do not think they warrant the money Alfredsson does if we can afford it.

It would not be a stretch to say Alfie gave up 20-25 million on the open market by remaining a Sen and being loyal to this franchise

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:14 AM
darglor

- Keep Anderson. Trading him is pure folly at this point.

- Bishop is worth trading, or as a 3rd string goalie.

- Gonchar is almost for sure gone. He's UFA and likely will go to Pittsburgh, so we might as well get something for him before he ditches us.

- Alfie is up in the air. He's earned whatever he wants. I assume he'll want to stay a Sen the whole time, but I'm also sure that if he asked to be a rental to a contender, Murray would oblige. With UFA, he could even come back the year after too if he chooses to keep playing.

darglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:

The likes of Phillips an Neil have already been overpaid. Alfie is just making up for his market value and helping the team reach the cap floor for next season.

We are paying him 1 million this season when he deserves at least 4. He helped the team by doing this. By giving him 7 you make up for this year and pay him fairly for next. You do those kind of things for loyalty.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:23 AM
tony d
Ours for next 7 yrs.

Anderson, Alfie and Gonchar stay. Bishop ends up being traded.

02-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Xspyrit

Our assets likely to be moved are Gonchar and Bishop for now

Maybe a guy like Benoit for a late pick, as an insurance policy for a playoff team. Same with Daugavins as a PK guy insurance policy. Maybe we could get a late pick for each

Regin and Latendresse could be possible, but they'd have to stay healthy and perform for this to happen...

One last guy I'm thinking : Colin Greening

With all the prospects phusing hard behind him, the guy need to step up his game or he could be gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by darglor View Post
- Gonchar is almost for sure gone. He's UFA and likely will go to Pittsburgh, so we might as well get something for him before he ditches us.
Hopefully Pittsburgh stay at the top of the standings until the deadline (then fall back after!), so we could deal Gonchar + Greening to the Pens for their first and a mid pick/prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
The likes of Phillips an Neil have already been overpaid.
False.

Neil, always between 1.1 and 2.0 in his last 10 contract years :

http://capgeek.com/player/424

Phillips, always between 3.083 and 3.5 in his last 7 contract years :

http://capgeek.com/player/415

Some would argue that Phillips is overpaid. I strongly disagree (unless he loses another step next year), particulary when you compare with other D-men contracts around the league. For some reason, Phillips is now a scapegoat for some people and is under appreciated because he is not on his prime anymore (guessing?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
Phillips wasn't Traded because of a NMC and didn't want to go. I'm pretty sure he still has one and would retire before playing for another team.
This. I don't see Phillips playing for another NHL team, him and Neil bleed for the Sens too much. They are huge "homers".

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:32 AM
18Hossa

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Rysto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post

Given that Gonchar is will need a new contract this offseason and he's looking to keep himself in contention for Sochi, I can't imagine him rejecting a trade to a contender in favour of playing out the string on a team that's going nowhere.

Rysto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:03 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Alfredsson - unless he asks for a trade, he isn't going anywhere

Anderson - it would be a huge mistake to trade the best goalie in the NHL right now & there is no guarantee that Lehner & Bishop could carry this team. The better thing to do is wait until next season & see what kind of team you have with great goaltending. Lehner can then take his time & challenge Anderson at his own pace.

Greening - is having a bad season but I wouldn't move him this yr & wait until next season to see if he can turn it around

Zibanejad/Silfverberg - would not trade them this yr & give them another 20 games next season to see if they improve

Could be traded:
Gonchar - get the most you can for him, maybe a 2nd
Lundin - has been fine but I doubt he is re-signed
Latendresse - a dissapointment
Regin - injury prone
Daugavins - could be placed on waivers
Benoit - maybe a late pick, could be back in Bingo next season

Trade:
To Colorado: Bishop G, Condra RW & Puempel LW
To Ottawa: Ryan O'Reilly C

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote