HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Has there been a player that ended their career on a peak?

Old
02-15-2013, 04:54 PM
delled

vCash: 500
Has there been a player that ended their career on a peak?

I don't mean in a career cut short way. I mean a player that actually scored the most in their last season? Just wondering if someone in the history had left the game at their peak. It wouldn't make sense they'd retire after their best season, so I figure this would be a quirky fact.

Is there a way to calculate a player who progressively scored more towards the end of their career?

delled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Dissonance

Defenseman Tom Edur retired after his best season (55 points in 1977-78) in order to become a Jehovah's Witness. That's the best example I can think of.

Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:30 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 533
Ken Dryden

and it is not close for me.

32 years old and 30.10.7 record and another cup ring and another Vezina win

IF he does not quit the question is how great would his stature be?

Gotta love the Bruins for giving him away

02-15-2013, 05:34 PM
BuckyDornster
Speed kills, Del.

vCash: 606
Neely? He was close to a point a game, 46 in 49 games. Not as dominant as previously but still good.

Tim Thomas maybe? He was crazy good during the Cup run...

BuckyDornster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:34 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Ken Dryden

and it is not close for me.

32 years old and 30.10.7 record and another cup ring and another Vezina win

IF he does not quit the question is how great would his stature be?

Gotta love the Bruins for giving him away
His premature retirement contributed greatly to the Habs' rapid decline. That and the combined retirement of Lemaire and Counoyer and Bowman's move to Buffalo in 1979. But back to Dryden, Montreal had no one to replace him, Sevigny, Wamsley, Penny and a few others tried but came no where close.

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:45 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Neely? He was close to a point a game, 46 in 49 games. Not as dominant as previously but still good.

Tim Thomas maybe? He was crazy good during the Cup run...
Thomas played behind a good team and walked away when he was told he would not be the starter. Boston sits second in the east--so that leads us to the question--was he that good or was Boston that good?

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:53 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Thomas played behind a good team and walked away when he was told he would not be the starter. Boston sits second in the east--so that leads us to the question--was he that good or was Boston that good?
Almost everything you said is wrong, terribly wrong.

That's not the reason why Thomas left the Bruins,I think it is well documented why he left,so, go make things up at the bar where no one can fact check you. I don't even agree with Thomas and think he is a puss for walking away but quitting because he lost the starting job is pure fiction and made up bull crap.

Rask proved he was this good 3 years ago when he started in place of Thomas's injury. Anyone who watched Thomas play these past bunch of years will tell you he is/was that good. Did you ever think hockey was a team sport? I don't think a goalie makes any team good nor do I think a team makes a goalie good. It takes both to make a team good not one or the other.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Didn't actually retire (contract holdout that killed his NHL career instead), but Chris Kontos after the 1992-93 season. 27 goals and 24 assists in 66 games; the rest of his career was 27 goals and 45 assists in 164 games.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:08 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post

That's not the reason why Thomas left the Bruins,I think it is well documented why he left,so, go make things up at the bar where no one can fact check you. I don't even agree with Thomas and think he is a puss for walking away but quitting because he lost the starting job is pure fiction and made up bull crap.

Rask proved he was this good 3 years ago when he started in place of Thomas's injury. Anyone who watched Thomas play these past bunch of years will tell you he is/was that good. Did you ever think hockey was a team sport? I don't think a goalie makes any team good nor do I think a team makes a goalie good. It takes both to make a team good not one or the other.
great thing about being an outside looking in--I do not wear homer glasses. The fact were out there that Rask would be getting more of the work load and that was ONE of the reasons Thomas stormed off. ARE U SAYING THE BRUINS ARE NOT A GOOD TEAM?

Thomas and his numbers were the result of the Bruins being a good team

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:17 PM
livewell68

Had Lemieux remained retired after 1997 then the answer would have been him.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:21 PM
livewell68

Quote:
great thing about being an outside looking in--I do not wear homer glasses. The fact were out there that Rask would be getting more of the work load and that was ONE of the reasons Thomas stormed off. ARE U SAYING THE BRUINS ARE NOT A GOOD TEAM?

Not to mention playing behind possibly the most intimidating and physically dominant defenseman to put on a pair of skates.

Despite all those saves Thomas used to make, how often did players actually get in close on Thomas? With Chara there, players were scared for their lives to go near Thomas. Any good NHL goaltender today will make the save more times than not when the shot can be seen or is from afar. I think pretty much any goalie including Bryzgalov can be left looking like a Vezina caliber goaltender playing for the Bruins.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Big Phil

Quote:

I really think the Thomas situation is one where you almost had to be there. A lot was made of the White House decision but personally I think that is just window dressing. Something else was happening behind the scenes that I think just won't get told even to any of us on message boards here. The Bruins have a strange history - I think we can agree - with their treatment of star players. Plus I wouldn't say Thomas is finished playing yet.

Anyway I came on here to post Mario Lemieux. He wasn't necessarily at his best in 1997 but he came off two straight Art Ross wins and let's face it, the way Mario was talking no one believed he was ever going to come back so this was basically his retirement at that time.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 06:35 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I really think the Thomas situation is one where you almost had to be there. A lot was made of the White House decision but personally I think that is just window dressing. Something else was happening behind the scenes that I think just won't get told even to any of us on message boards here. The Bruins have a strange history - I think we can agree - with their treatment of star players. Plus I wouldn't say Thomas is finished playing yet.

Anyway I came on here to post Mario Lemieux. He wasn't necessarily at his best in 1997 but he came off two straight Art Ross wins and let's face it, the way Mario was talking no one believed he was ever going to come back so this was basically his retirement at that time.
Pretty much what my sentiment is and I posted that as well.

Old
02-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
Defenseman Tom Edur retired after his best season (55 points in 1977-78) in order to become a Jehovah's Witness. That's the best example I can think of.
I always wondered what had happened to him, I probably read about it at the time but it was lost in my memory.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
Thomas left because he's one of those "end of the world freaks".

Also to your question, often it's a case of both things being true.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 07:54 PM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
Not to mention playing behind possibly the most intimidating and physically dominant defenseman to put on a pair of skates.

Despite all those saves Thomas used to make, how often did players actually get in close on Thomas? With Chara there, players were scared for their lives to go near Thomas. Any good NHL goaltender today will make the save more times than not when the shot can be seen or is from afar. I think pretty much any goalie including Bryzgalov can be left looking like a Vezina caliber goaltender playing for the Bruins.
I think the Bruins' defence as a whole wasn't that good. Yeah, Chara and Seidenberg were solid defenders (I think Chara is overrated, to be honest), but beyond that you've got a D-corps that was not effective. We're talking about the team that allowed the second most shots in the entire league.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:04 PM
blamebettman*

Jacques Lemaire retired after scoring 55 points in 50 games in 78-79 and then 23 pts in only 16 playoff games. The greatest playoff performance of his career and a 4th consecutive Stanley Cup

Was only 32 or 33.

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 08:35 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post

The only thing we can say about Thomas is he left because he is whacked out on whatever "end of the world" nonsense he believes. That's it, this is one of those circumstances where a star player left Boston for not one of the normal reasons.

We can speculate but not one writer has sniffed at he wasn't going to be the starter goalie. NOT ONE> in fact he moved his family during the middle of the season while he was the starter. It was planned, he wanted to leave because of his screwed up politics. He's a fruit cake wrapped in Glen Beck wrapping paper.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:40 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:

I can see you're 12 years old.

Anyhow, there is nothing homer about my statement. Nothing.

First off, I am not a young person, being a homer doesn't apply to me. The records show Thomas planned his move out of Boston back in Dec of 2011 when he moved his family to COL that month. He was still the starter in net. You trying to tell me, they told him in Dec 2011 that he wasn't going to be the starter next season? Yeah, that's what you are telling me? He had it planned all season to leave the game. He is a fruit cake that believes the end of the world is coming.

Maybe this is less to do with homer glasses and more to do with Bruin hatred.

And again, it takes a good team and a good goalie to be a good team, not one or the other.

Old
02-15-2013, 08:54 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
I think the Bruins' defence as a whole wasn't that good. Yeah, Chara and Seidenberg were solid defenders (I think Chara is overrated, to be honest), but beyond that you've got a D-corps that was not effective. We're talking about the team that allowed the second most shots in the entire league.
Shots from non-scoring areas.

How can you call Chara overrated btw? There a lot of big defensemen in the league, even skilled defensemen but how many come in the 6'9 250-260 lbs variety, can control the game, play 30 minutes a game and shoot the hardest slap shot in the NHL?

I can name only one, his name is Chara.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:19 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
The only thing we can say about Thomas is he left because he is whacked out on whatever "end of the world" nonsense he believes. That's it, this is one of those circumstances where a star player left Boston for not one of the normal reasons.

We can speculate but not one writer has sniffed at he wasn't going to be the starter goalie. NOT ONE> in fact he moved his family during the middle of the season while he was the starter. It was planned, he wanted to leave because of his screwed up politics. He's a fruit cake wrapped in Glen Beck wrapping paper.
I see somebody checked beside all of the (D)s during this past election.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
Huh? None of that is on point.

YouTube Channel: The Two-Line Pass - Hockey news, knowledge, video breakdowns and more: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAI...52Q577Q/videos

Latest installment:Ep. 4 - Brady Skjei Evaluation
Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:04 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamebettman View Post
Jacques Lemaire retired after scoring 55 points in 50 games in 78-79 and then 23 pts in only 16 playoff games. The greatest playoff performance of his career and a 4th consecutive Stanley Cup

Was only 32 or 33.
Funny, I mentioned in my response to the Dryden post not even thinking of how great he was that last season. It also reminded me of Jean Beliveau, he had 76 points in 70 games and another 22 in 20 playoff games that ended with a Stanley Cup. Granted he was 39, but it was still a great way to finish his career.

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:12 PM
IComeInPeace

While technically he doesn't qualify bc the decision was more or less made for him, I always think of Roland Eriksson as a guy that saw his career turn so quickly.

Rookie season with the Stars, he leads the league in rookie assists and points as a tall, smooth skating Swede, reminding one a little bit of Jean Beliveau.
The next yr, on a woeful North Stars team, his production slips to 60 points. He plays in the all star game, but the North Stars let him leave and sign with the Nucks.

So, 129 points in his first two seasons, and 32 games later he's out of the league. Can't put up any numbers with the Nucks. Goes to the WHA and sucks there just as bad.

Im not sure what happened...did teams find a weakness (did they start to goon him up and he wanted no part of it anymore?).

Anyways, I'm always left a little bewildered by his career in North America.

Anyone else have any more info on him?

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 11:41 PM
mco543

It's entirely possible that like a lot of the early European NHLers he just got homesick and didn't like playing in North America.

mco543 is offline   Reply With Quote