HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Has there been a player that ended their career on a peak?

Old
02-16-2013, 02:02 AM
nutbar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco543 View Post
It's entirely possible that like a lot of the early European NHLers he just got homesick and didn't like playing in North America.
Hakan Loob

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:26 AM
VMBM

Of non-NHL players Vladislav Tretiak comes to mind. He could have easily played for a few more years, but I guess since he had grown a bit tired of the Soviet hockey system and his wish to play for Montreal Canadiens was not granted, he decided to call it quits.

Look for Teemu Selänne to do so! *tongue only half in cheek*

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:29 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

The last three seasons of Patrick Roy's career saw him finish third, first, and first among the 60+ GP goaltenders in even-strength save percentage. It wasn't the best years of his career, but given Colorado's focus on defense after first acquiring Ray Bourque, it was his best statistical run since his first peak in the late-80s and early-90s. He retired with one year left on his contract.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:47 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
Defenseman Tom Edur retired after his best season (55 points in 1977-78) in order to become a Jehovah's Witness. That's the best example I can think of.
WHAAAT? it is true? can you give us some source?

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutbar View Post
Hakan Loob
Just coming here to say him and Kenny Jonsson.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 08:03 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
The only thing we can say about Thomas is he left because he is whacked out on whatever "end of the world" nonsense he believes. That's it, this is one of those circumstances where a star player left Boston for not one of the normal reasons.

We can speculate but not one writer has sniffed at he wasn't going to be the starter goalie. NOT ONE> in fact he moved his family during the middle of the season while he was the starter. It was planned, he wanted to leave because of his screwed up politics. He's a fruit cake wrapped in Glen Beck wrapping paper.
Yeah but it has to be more than that. There are so many different political beliefs in the NHL I am sure. I had heard that before that Thomas claimed to not play this year because of a financial crisis in the world, or whatever the quote was. It just doesn't sound like a story that tells the entire story. I mean, Gilles Gratton believed he had been reincarnated over and over and actually told stories to his teammates with a deadpan look about battles he fought. The guy still played goal in the NHL/WHA though despite the consensus that he was a loon. Just sounds like a really, really bad excuse to not play hockey considering the guy could be on his way to a HHOF career if he plays more. Trades happen for reasons that the public never seem to know right away and I just get the feeling something we don't know happened between Thomas and the Bruins brass that hasn't been told yet. Just a hunch.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 08:31 AM
revolverjgw

Jacques Lemaire packing his bags and going to Switzerland after the season/playoff he had kind of baffles me, why did he do that?

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw View Post
Jacques Lemaire packing his bags and going to Switzerland after the season/playoff he had kind of baffles me, why did he do that?
To be honest I really don't remember and Google didn't help either. Maybe it was a good job offer to be a coach over there which is what he did. Or maybe he saw things unfolding in Montreal. Bowman didn't get the GM job, Dryden retired after 1979 and who knows maybe he had talked about it internally for a while. Maybe Lemaire felt it was best to go out on top. He certainly could still play the game very well at that time.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:20 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Yeah but it has to be more than that. There are so many different political beliefs in the NHL I am sure. I had heard that before that Thomas claimed to not play this year because of a financial crisis in the world, or whatever the quote was. It just doesn't sound like a story that tells the entire story. I mean, Gilles Gratton believed he had been reincarnated over and over and actually told stories to his teammates with a deadpan look about battles he fought. The guy still played goal in the NHL/WHA though despite the consensus that he was a loon. Just sounds like a really, really bad excuse to not play hockey considering the guy could be on his way to a HHOF career if he plays more. Trades happen for reasons that the public never seem to know right away and I just get the feeling something we don't know happened between Thomas and the Bruins brass that hasn't been told yet. Just a hunch.
There is more, he is super passionate about his politics and there are some other rumblings he didn't want his kids growing up in liberal Massachusetts. All I am saying is he didn't leave because he lost his starting job like that poster tried to say. That is all I am saying. He was the starter when he planned all this, just use the time line of his actions against the claim he lost his starting job. Of all the reasons he left Boston, that is not one of them. And that is all I am commenting on.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:24 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
I see somebody checked beside all of the (D)s during this past election.

Funny thing about extremists, anyone that doesn't agree or follow their thinking is the complete opposite of what they are. I am a moderate, like most people in America.

Am I the one that posted gloom and doom of the world on my facebook page? Am I the one that is so polarized in my beliefs that I can not even go meet the President of my country, the one I pretend to love? Extremists act like that not moderates. And to me, extremist behavior is fruit cake mentality; left or right.

Old
02-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Penosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post

Funny thing about extremists, anyone that doesn't agree or follow their thinking is the complete opposite of what they are. I am a moderate, like most people in America.

Am I the one that posted gloom and doom of the world on my facebook page? Am I the one that is so polarized in my beliefs that I can not even go meet the President of my country, the one I pretend to love? Extremists act like that not moderates. And to me, extremist behavior is fruit cake mentality; left or right.

Not everybody wants to be a prop for politicians.
I applauded Thomas' decision to stay home.
The Bruins knew for months that he wasn't going to go, and then they trashed him in the papers.
I say good for Tim Thomas. He left on his own terms.

Penosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:05 PM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penosity View Post
The Bruins knew for months that he wasn't going to go, and then they trashed him in the papers.
And left his team with the cap hit.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:46 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

keep the politics on the politics board, please.

Thanks!

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Master_Of_Districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
Shots from non-scoring areas.
Prove it.

Master_Of_Districts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:59 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Of_Districts View Post
Prove it.
What are you asking him to prove, exactly?

Is your contention that Boston was the 2nd worst defensive team in the league because they allowed the second most shots against?

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 04:02 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penosity View Post
He quit and left the team, teammates, friends,fans and anything remotely involving the Bruins in the lurch. You can't twist what he did into something patriotic because of your politics. Wish we all could quit out jobs and hide because we don't like the government. Wouldn't that be dandy if we could. I wouldn't have worked a single day these last 13 years.

wonder if I would have run out of dehydrated potatoes by now if I did.

Old
02-16-2013, 04:06 PM
newfy

Barry Sanders

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:23 PM
nutbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Just coming here to say him and Kenny Jonsson.
Evgeny Davydov is another European. Somewhat strange that he played only 2 full seasons in the NHL.

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:51 AM
85highlander

Mike Eruzione - he knew nothing could possibly match the extraordinary run the Americans had at the 1980 Olympics.

85highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:28 PM
double5son10

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw View Post
Contract dispute. Lemaire walking was Irving Grundman's first great screw-up as GM. Lemaire's contract was up and he wanted to be paid as one of the top centers in the game. Grundman low-balled, and even was quoted publicly that Lemaire's talk of Switzerland was just a negotiating ploy. Jacques wasn't bluffing.

double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Sinter Klaas

vCash: 1147
Yvon Lambert may not be the best example but he spent 9 seasons with Montreal and averaged 57 points a season when he played at least 70 games. He then went over to Buffalo in 1981 after putting back to back seasons with point totals in the low 50s and put up 64 points in 77 games. He then spent the next two seasons down on the farm in Rochester, never to play in the NHL again.

Sinter Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:32 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85highlander View Post
Mike Eruzione - he knew nothing could possibly match the extraordinary run the Americans had at the 1980 Olympics.
And we have a winner.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Pelle Lindburgh
Bill Barilko

But sudden death will do that.

Not death related... how about Todd Bergen who quit the NHL to play professional golf*?

*maybe he should have asked for a trade to the Leafs

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:37 PM
aemoreira1981

Hakan Loob? (He had 101 and 85 seasons in his age 28 and age 29 seasons but then went back to Sweden after the 1989 Cup season.) I didn't notice him being mentioned before though. I wonder if Mats Naslund (before his brief return to the NHL with the Bruins) might also count.

Vis a vis Dryden, think that his legend grows even though he only played 7 full seasons and 397 NHL games; he never got a chance to decline. Today, however, one could see Martin Brodeur catching a second wind this season and last.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:53 AM
blamebettman*

Would Eruzione would be able to crack an NHL roster? Didn't have the best wheels and was a bit of a fatty. He played a handful of games in the minors back in the late 70's and did nothing.

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote