HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Mikael Granlund report

Old
02-14-2013, 03:25 PM
fahad203

vCash: 500
Mikael Granlund report

How has he looked for Minny this year? I hardly get a chance to see him play. I don't see him in any highlights. He was a sought out prospect coming into this year. I keep hearing about Yaks, Tarasenko and Macdonald.

Any news ?

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Alexandrov

He is having rough time adjusting to nhl game. First nine or so games he was getting pushed around alot. Alway falling down. He has been playing better and better though, especially for last three games. I'm gonna say he will be around .5 ppg at the end of the season.

Alexandrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:55 PM
YARR123

check the Wild sub-forum, a lot of discussion going on about Granlund.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 03:55 PM
madmike77

Didn't notice him much in the Flames/Wild game.

The Wild have added some nice scoring talent, but seem to play the same old boring, defensive hockey they're known for. So his lack of production could be at least partly a system issue.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:12 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

He didn't look great in the game against Chicago, but he'll be fine. Players adjust to the NHL differently. There's no doubting his talent and world-class passing ability.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:34 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Yeah he is improving a little each game. He had a pretty decent game against Vancouver recently, got an assist and had a couple good checks which is good to see.

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:51 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 81
Only saw him against the Flames so far. But Brodin impressed me way more.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Wild33

The last three games he has been much better and definitely the game in Vancouver on Tuesday was his best game. Something like 8/11 on faceoffs, won puck battles and was in hard on the forecheck that created the only Wild goal and he got an assist.

Most forgot that Granlund had an ankle injury in November and missed over a month of time. I can't remember how many games he played in the AHL after injury before the lockout was ended but somewhere around 6 games or so. He went a good stretch of time little to no hockey before coming back. Add in the adjustment period to the NHL and that equates to a slow start. I agree he'll end up with around 20-25 points this regular season. It is good to see though that he is now responsible in all 3 zones and creating some offense. The first few games he was a complete liability at times.

Wild33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

The main problem for me is that when Granlund enters the zone, he likes to stop and try to let the play develop and passing lanes open up.

That is fine at times, but he cannot do it all the time. Granlund isn't amazingly fast nor big, so many times, by stopping, he allows bigger defenders to use their physical bodies against him instead of keeping his feet moving, keeping defenders of their toes, and forcing them to keep up..

He is starting to figure that out though. He is moving his feet much more, attacking the zone with tons of energy and effort, and throwing his weight around (he is a stocky guy).

So he still getting used to the smaller rinks, but he getting better after every game.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:46 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 750
To put it gently, he's had a slow start.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:47 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay33 View Post
The last three games he has been much better and definitely the game in Vancouver on Tuesday was his best game. Something like 8/11 on faceoffs, won puck battles and was in hard on the forecheck that created the only Wild goal and he got an assist.

Most forgot that Granlund had an ankle injury in November and missed over a month of time. I can't remember how many games he played in the AHL after injury before the lockout was ended but somewhere around 6 games or so. He went a good stretch of time little to no hockey before coming back. Add in the adjustment period to the NHL and that equates to a slow start. I agree he'll end up with around 20-25 points this regular season. It is good to see though that he is now responsible in all 3 zones and creating some offense. The first few games he was a complete liability at times.
Canucks fan here, watched him on Tuesday so figured I would add to this. I have him in a very deep fantasy keeper pool so I'll be following him closely.

He seems to have a lower center of gravity, which seems like an advantage when it comes to handling him physically. He seems pretty shifty and generally looked good. Canuck broadcasters made several comments and anecdotes about how he should talk to Sedins for advice on how to persevere when not making an enormous impact in the NHL right away. He's playing with Heatley who is underperforming now as well. i'm sure he'll get going, frankly i don't have too much to add especially since I haven't seen tarasenko/huberdeau and others play yet this season.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:00 AM
P10p

Granlund has played his best hockey recently. Noticing ALOT more energy in his game. He threw a nice hit on Weber the other night actually. Good to see him play physical as he does have a pretty solid frame

P10p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Not at all surprised that he's had a slow start. He'll get it eventually but I wasn't expecting an automatic click.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote