HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Playmaking ability of our forwards (with and without injuries)

Old
02-16-2013, 09:35 PM
WORLDSTARHIPHOP
Stone 4 Calder

vCash: 500
Playmaking ability of our forwards (with and without injuries)

Our recent injuries and the call up of Da Costa has really gotten me thinking. We really lack players who can generate offence by themselves outside of Spezza, Turris and arguably, Dacosta.

This team lacks playmakers. No matter how much potential we think Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Regin and Latendresse have, they haven't shown that they can be more than a one-dimensional type players. Sure, getting Turris helped, but on this team putting the puck on the stick of any forward not named Spezza and Turris turns into a dump a grind or a weak shot off a bad angle.

Hell, on this team Smith even looks like a playmaker.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:38 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Spezza
Karlsson
Alfredsson
DaCosta
Michalek(Underrated)

Are our best playmakers. Only 2 are playing. I'm not worried. We have excellent amount of playmakers and their capabilities. Turris is not a playmaker whatsoever.

I have seen no creativity from Turris but he's trying.

I don't understand this thread. Of course we would be struggling to generate goals let alone have "playmakers" when our top 3 offensive players are injured.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:40 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six View Post
Our recent injuries and the call up of Da Costa has really gotten me thinking. We really lack players who can generate offence by themselves outside of Spezza, Turris and arguably, Dacosta.

This team lacks playmakers. No matter how much potential we think Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Regin and Latendresse have, they haven't shown that they can be more than a one-dimensional type players. Sure, getting Turris helped, but on this team putting the puck on the stick of any forward not named Spezza and Turris turns into a dump a grind or a weak shot off a bad angle.

Hell, on this team Smith even looks like a playmaker.
We have 8-9 bottom 6 forwards and 3-4 top 6 forwards on this team when everyone is in the line up. Go figure that we don't have much playmaking players.

VikingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:41 PM
playasRus

vCash: 50
Believe it or not, Karlsson is also a playmaker.

From what I've seen from Turris this season, I don't think he'll ever be a game breaker. Just a reliable Number 2C that won't be able to step up when Spezza goes down. So we better find a 1C in the next 10 years or we're screwed.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:42 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post

From what I've seen from Turris this season, I don't think he'll ever be a game breaker. Just a reliable Number 2C that won't be able to step up when Spezza goes down. So we better find a 1C in the next 10 years or we're screwed.
Gonchar is also a playmaker but so far this year he has been horrible at it. Offensive defense man are playmakers because they are useful for their slick-passing.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:43 PM
PatrickEaves
All posts unedited

Quote:

Elias Lindholm

02-16-2013, 09:45 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Spezza
Karlsson
Alfredsson
DaCosta
Michalek(Underrated)

Are our best playmakers. Only 2 are playing. I'm not worried. We have excellent amount of playmakers and their capabilities. Turris is not a playmaker whatsoever.

I don't understand this thread. Of course we would be struggling to generate goals let alone have "playmakers" when our top 3 offensive players are injured.
This is sacrilege, but Alfie is nowhere near being an effective playmaker this year. He is really looking his age out there.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:45 PM
18Hossa
And Grace, Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Elias Lindholm
or Jonathan Drouin

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Iamok
#Panic

The talent among the forwards has always been a problem, hence the rebuild.

This team still misses that legit 1st line winger. If we were able to get that, it'd make all the difference.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:46 PM
PatrickEaves
All posts unedited

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
or Jonathan Drouin
Not Swedish.

Do not want.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:48 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
or Jonathan Drouin
This. Drouin could be a great player. We are lacking a game breaking player. And will lose Alfie soon.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:50 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Gonchar is also a playmaker but so far this year he has been horrible at it. Offensive defense man are playmakers because they are useful for their slick-passing.
It's ok gonchar is gone by the end of the season if not earlier.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:50 PM
WORLDSTARHIPHOP
Stone 4 Calder

I should've been more clear. I think that in our forward corps the creativity just isn't there. Outside of Spezza, an very aging Alfie, Turris (one of our few forwards who can hold onto the puck), DaCosta (who was recently an AHLer, everyone else is a "just let me get the puck on net" type of player. I'm worried about our future with our prospects (Zib, Silfverberg) being the grinding type of players.

Old
02-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Sensinitis

Quote:
Spezza
Karlsson
Alfredsson
DaCosta
Michalek(Underrated)

LOL at michalek

Sensinitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:53 PM
PensFan6687

Do you think Da Costa's play is too smart and that's why his teammates are not converting his amazing passes? Seriously, this kid looks amazing out there. Like a superstar, but the scoresheet is simply not reflecting what we are observing. The talent is there, but the chemistry between guys isn't. Granted he could have had a few points already if some of the guys didn't hit posts. So, it's just a matter of time before the points follow. But yeah, talking to a Sens fan in my city, he was like, I don't get how you can say Da Costa is so good, he has like 1 point in 5 games. I face palmed. Eeeesh.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 09:54 PM
WORLDSTARHIPHOP
Stone 4 Calder

Quote:
Spezza
Karlsson
Alfredsson
DaCosta
Michalek(Underrated)

Exactly this. Out of those 4 players, imo only DaCosta is an actual playmaker. Alfie is a shadow of himself, his gameplan now really only consists of making most out of opportunities rather than creating them. I really don't see playmaking a part of Michalek's game when the puck is off his stick a second later most of the time.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:05 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Do you think Da Costa's play is too smart and that's why his teammates are not converting his amazing passes? Seriously, this kid looks amazing out there. Like a superstar, but the scoresheet is simply not reflecting what we are observing. The talent is there, but the chemistry between guys isn't. Granted he could have had a few points already if some of the guys didn't hit posts. So, it's just a matter of time before the points follow. But yeah, talking to a Sens fan in my city, he was like, I don't get how you can say Da Costa is so good, he has like 1 point in 5 games. I face palmed. Eeeesh.
Yea and he himself is not capping his chances. There was 3-4 times where he dangled and made his way to the slot and had all of those shots blocked.

Once DaCosta gets a feel for this game he will be a 2 way threat. Here is hoping.

I want to see Silfverberg on DaCosta's line. DaCosta offers his linemates that split second pass which gives them more room to shoot. In the AHL both were unstoppable together, I wanna see em both again.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:06 PM
Magix

Ottawa needs a game breaking forward. Someone who isn't reliant on others (spezza being the only forward who can function with anyone and not see a drop in production) and can take over a game by himself (karlsson isn't a forward ). Hopefully this is the draft they snatch such a player.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:08 PM
VikingKarlsson
Chomo

Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
Ottawa needs a game breaking forward. Someone who isn't reliant on others (spezza being the only forward who can function with anyone and not see a drop in production) and can take over a game by himself (karlsson isn't a forward ). Hopefully this is the draft they snatch such a player.
I am really hoping for a top 3 pick. Drouin or McKinnon! To really add an elite offisive player! Drouin would be my pick.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:12 PM
DrEasy
Out rumptackling

Good news is we'll have plenty of cap room next year, especially with Gonchar gone (even if we don't spend up to the cap, Gonchar's departure will give us the opportunity to spend).

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Magix

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKarlsson View Post
I am really hoping for a top 3 pick. Drouin or McKinnon! To really add an elite offisive player! Drouin would be my pick.
We will probably be down there by end of season. This team will go through lots of ugly games to get there.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

I would put Da Costa right behind Spezza. He is unreal...his vision and hands are amazing.

Curtinho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 11:48 PM
playasRus

Any UFAs other then Perry?

Old
02-16-2013, 11:59 PM
QuattroFTW

Quote:
Any UFAs other then Perry?
Getzlaf, Ribeiro, Iginla, Weiss, Horton a few others. Perry and Getz seem to be of the most interest but it's unknown if they'll even consider moving cities since they've been with Anaheim for their entire career. I still think we need the addition of at least 1 more big name player to play with Spezza.

QuattroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:23 AM
playasRus

Can't see Flo letting Weiss go. Horton is a nice complimentary player but not exactly what we're looking for.